Dell Streak 2.1 update (21 devices) - Download here!

Guest rza.android

Guest Chaz_UK

This is just what the thing needed. Multitouch was one thing I wanted across the board and this app delivers!

I did a quick comparison of the multitouch compared to my Nexus One.

Time to install some emulators for this thing. :D

Guest raidet

It's certainly faster than stock 1.6, but not faster than Paul's custom 1.6. I eagerly wait for a 2.1 custom mod! :D

ALso - where's the "buy Paul beer" link, like on Cyanogen's page? I have a feeling his beer bill might sharply drop with that...

Guest rollindubs

US Devices will work if you flash the O2 1.6 firmware onto it and then clear the custom flashboot back to factory and then load the 2.1 image on it. I've tested it on 3 devices that I have and they all work fine and I have no issues with accessibility to anything.

Guest Rory Dickens
Hey guys, got here via Engadget :D

Anyhow I'm currently downloading the update but I do not have the original image of 1.6 (O2 branded build 3883) if it goes wrong. Where can I download it?

Many thanks,

Rich

P.S: Also I'm a complete nub at Android (only got my phone last week!) so a nice walkthrough would be very much appreciated if anyone wants to share the 2.1 love :D )

I too would like the original build, not having market place sucks! and maybe its worth waiting a while.... till 2.1 is really sorted!

Anyone else notice facebook contacts update is broken?

Same here, along with marketplace not downloading, did you have the google login error with wifi?

Guest RichB93
I too would like the original build, not having market place sucks! and maybe its worth waiting a while.... till 2.1 is really sorted!

Same here, along with marketplace not downloading, did you have the google login error with wifi?

I have it? Also had a look around and I *think* this is the latest official build :D

Guest popetodd

Very nice!!

MUCH faster, better movies, all around a winner EXCEPT for:

The new keyboard, it sucks. I want the old one back.

Dell should have left it in as an option at the least, that number pad was just the ticket for what I do.

(And no, I hate Swipe even more than the new keyboard so don't bother.)

The loss of 2 columns and 1 row of icon space on the screens.

I don't care if I get more room to look at the pretty wallpaper, that's not what I bought this for.

I liked having the extra 12 icons on my screen.

The continued crap of "Download failed, device doesn't support content type)", I DON'T CARE.

If I want to grab it and stick it on my SD card for later use on something else then that is what I want to do so download the damned file already! I'm not an Apple fan boy that needs my hand held and guidance on what I "really" want to do, I am a power user that KNOWS what I want to do and expect my 400+ Pound device to do it when I ask it to.

And finally the UAString, WTF!? Set it to default to desktop already Dell! This screen is wasted on mobile sites.

We told you this, what the hell is wrong with you?

Other than that it's brilliant.

Guest pug11111
Ok I've put my streak back to stock and can't download the update from my phones browser as A/ the download link is down and B/ the mediafire link won't let my phone download it as it says content not supported on this device !? any ideas ?

I,m uploading the package to rapidshare to try and will post the link if anyone wants it.

how did you get it backn to stock please

Guest Uberfish

So I installed the update, nice to see the live wallpapers, better dialer, awesome gallery, 720p recording support and more multitouch support, however this is clearly an unfinished beta version that was not ready for release! This is clear from the home screen manager missing at the top, the inability to open widget settings on the homescreen, the default android keyboard and no dell keyboard and no dell custom apps like facebook. Also, the dell PC suite can't detect the phone so no syncing and backups.

The speed increases people are noticing is partly due to the fact the screen resolution is actually smaller than the current 1.6 release meaning the CPU has less to keep track of. All my widgets are streched out across the screen slightly, squares are rectangles, pictures in the frames are widened and there is much less horozontal space to play with. I'm going to roll back to the 1.6 version for now and wait for Dell's finished official release as I'm not liking having to have much less space.

Can't wait for the final release now I've seen live wallpapers on my streak now though! sigh!

Guest Rory Dickens
I have it? Also had a look around and I *think* this is the latest official build :D

Thanks mate, so do i just rename that UPDATE.pkg and do what i did to get to 2.1?

^^^renaming it update didnt work.... says that already up to date half way into installation.

currently downloading the update of dells page, to see if it works that way

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/LatestBuild/LatestBuild_21.html

Edited by Rory Dickens

Guest XsCode

Just for public info, I didn't use the method most people are using to upgrade, I just downloaded the pkg and ran it from ES File explorer I didn't even rename it... all worked perfectly no problems to speak of apart from needing to set up Gmail through mobile data rather than wifi.

Guest dufster

Used superboot to get rid of clockwork recovery and installation went smoothly. Had to use appbrain to restore apps as my backup pro didn't work but well worth the effort just to get constant H connection I've seen ever since. Brilliant

Guest deekarma
Thanks mate, so do i just rename that UPDATE.pkg and do what i did to get to 2.1?

^^^renaming it update didnt work.... says that already up to date half way into installation.

currently downloading the update of dells page, to see if it works that way

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/LatestBuild/LatestBuild_21.html

That way is going to recover your phone to 1.6.

You need to rename the file"Upgrade.pkg"

Guest craigdabbs
I want my old keyboard back! The number pad rocked!

yea im missing the old keyboard, i actually found it really comfortable to type on with my fat thumbs too. Maybe someone clever enough can drag it out from 1.6 as a apk file :D

Guest element332

i totaly agree..i could live without the num pad..but i miss left and right arrows..alot....

and where is the cool dell twitter and facebook widget...?

Guest deekarma
Just for public info, I didn't use the method most people are using to upgrade, I just downloaded the pkg and ran it from ES File explorer I didn't even rename it... all worked perfectly no problems to speak of apart from needing to set up Gmail through mobile data rather than wifi.

Nonsense, ES File Explorer doesn't recognise it!

Guest Rory Dickens
That way is going to recover your phone to 1.6.

You need to rename the file"Upgrade.pkg"

Thats what i did, i renamed the file Upgrade.pkg like i did the first time to get it to 2.1, but it said halfway through "phone up-to-date, rebooting in 30seconds"..... ideas?

Thats what i did, i renamed the file Upgrade.pkg like i did the first time to get it to 2.1, but it said halfway through "phone up-to-date, rebooting in 30seconds"..... ideas?

same here

Guest deekarma
if youre rooted and have clockwork recovery it won't work, we need someone to make a rom or the link to be working again to download from the browser !

rapidshare link

http://rapidshare.com/files/412761370/update-6941-21.pkg

If you rooted 1.6, make sure you reflash the stock rom.

Then download the rapidshare file above.

Rename the file "Update.pkg" and save the file on the root of your sd card.

power your phone on whilst holding two volume buttons.

Select update using camera button.

2.1 - your on.

I got the first part.

I installed the stock recovery from here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1307832

I downloaded it, then I downloaded Android SDK, put the recovery image to the folder tools where fastboot is. I put the device in fastboot mode as described. And via comand promt in Windows I navigated to the sdk-tools-folder (via "cd") and typed in the stuff mentioned in the post. Most of you guys will already know that stuff.

Then I restarted the Dell and via Linda File Manager I opened the downloaded firmware file, it rebooted and finally worked (before it always said "signature failure" or something similar).

Now I'm stuck at the Dell logo, but will work that out tomorrow, somehow...

OK i may have royally messed up my streak now!

Right i have a 21 and tried to update using the standar vol buttons method,

it seemed fine but got stuck on the dell logo.

I then tried to mount my sd card in pc and it wouldn't let me rename the 1.6 update.pkg file i had on the sd.

Infact i can't rename or edit any files on the sd when it's in my pc.

So i tried the clockwork recovery rom 1.8X and formattedt he sd with that. but am still unable to write to the sd in pc mode.

So i updated to the new 2.5 clockwork recovery and now the fastboot mode doesnt work at all.

How do i get back to the standard boot loader volume buttons recover image.

HELP

tearing hair out

edit - right i have got it back to the 1.8x clockwork and i think i can go back one more as i found the recovery.stock.img

fingers crossed

edit 2 - f*ck yeah - i got the original dell recovery stock.img to go back on - now i just have to work out why i can't write to my sd so i can copy the 1.6 update.pkg back onto it..any ideas?

edit 3 - would you adam and believe it...it was only my microsdhc adapter at fault - the bloody write protect tab was missing.

1.6 here i come!

edit 4- sorry for my late night ramblings :D - I got 1.6 stock 4399 back on and then tried the technique some people suggested of using this clean rom 4399 install to then stick 2.1 on.

Well, it only f*cking worked!

Now on 2.1 and I am sicking with it for a while now.

I have learn't a lot in the past 2 hours

Edited by h9k