J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
I wouldn't advise you to flash UK 2.1 on a U8230. I'm not sure if the UK 2.1 can be applied to the U8230: as you said the hardware is a little different (the partition layout is very different, because the U8230 and the U8220 have different internal memory sizes)...

To play it safe, you really SHOULDN'T flash the UK 2.1. Try installing FLB-MOD 1.7 and see if that works out for you :)

OK, my apologies. I said that because J-MOD is based on the UK Update and also it runs ok with the TRE update.

I wouldn't advise you to flash UK 2.1 on a U8230. I'm not sure if the UK 2.1 can be applied to the U8230: as you said the hardware is a little different (the partition layout is very different, because the U8230 and the U8220 have different internal memory sizes)...

To play it safe, you really SHOULDN'T flash the UK 2.1. Try installing FLB-MOD 1.7 and see if that works out for you :)

with FLB Mod i get acore errors. i have PMed FLB Mode coder and he said that it is made for the U8220 (kernel) not for the U8230.

Do you know a good Mod for the U8230 ?

Guest spanner44

I have the Huawei U8230 and updated successfully following the Ultimate Guide here : Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide .

I found it very self explanatory and easy with clear steps and successfully installed the FLB v1.7 mod, so I cannot see why it shouldn't work.

Guest Sperber78

Hi

i just want to say that J-MOD 1.4 is very fast. I tried CM6.1 and tested for 3 days, but CM6.1 is too slow. So i just go back to J-MOD :-)

Greets Sperber

Hi

i just want to say that J-MOD 1.4 is very fast. I tried CM6.1 and tested for 3 days, but CM6.1 is too slow. So i just go back to J-MOD :-)

Greets Sperber

I second that! I've tried a few custom ROM's (2.1) for the pulse (Stock T-mobile Rooted and all, FLB-MOD, Heartbeat Mod, CM6 Froyo) and now using J-MOD.

It's the only rom with wich i haven't had any Acore FC's on startup!

And also on my pulse, J-MOD 1.4 is fast as hell. I Like it a lot, and until the Froyo ROM is at v1.0, I prob. won't use any other ROM.

Maybe 1 point of critic, I don't really like the custom boot animation. Too flashy for me ;-)

Edited by Nielzs

Guest JohnPorter
Hi

Greets Sperber

I second that! I've tried a few custom ROM's (2.1) for the pulse (Stock T-mobile Rooted and all, FLB-MOD, Heartbeat Mod, CM6 Froyo) and now using J-MOD.

It's the only rom with wich i haven't had any Acore FC's on startup!

And also on my pulse, J-MOD 1.4 is fast as hell. I Like it a lot, and until the Froyo ROM is at v1.0, I prob. won't use any other ROM.

Maybe 1 point of critic, I don't really like the custom boot animation. Too flashy for me ;-)

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the boot animation, that's the only visible branding, I used to have a J-MOD wallpaper etc but just cut them out. You can if you wish change that, I'm not forcing you to keep it. Look at the Ultimate Pulse Guide for instructions on how to do it.

There is a new version coming soon, just got no time to dedicate to it right now.

Guest carlos raul g

What bands does the upgraded ROM support?

I got a used pulse to play with here in Costa Rica, but the only local 3G band runs over the 850, not 900....

Gracias

Guest AntonioPT
What bands does the upgraded ROM support?

I got a used pulse to play with here in Costa Rica, but the only local 3G band runs over the 850, not 900....

Gracias

You have to reflash the firmware with a south-american ROM.

Here's a link to the Venezuelan 2.1 ROM: link.

Guest spanner44

After trying several roms have decided to give this one a go, as everything seems to work without any errors. Started with FLB, and the FLB oc, but kept getting acore errors so gave CM6 a try, but couldn't get A2SD to work, and some how have knackered and killed my 8GB card, so have ended up coming back to 2.1.

A couple of questions I have :

1. Is it possible to overclock the kernal ?

2. is is okay to flash one of the frameworks listed in the ultimate guide.

3. is it okay to change the launcher.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : Changed the launcher, so I know that is okay to change.

Edited by spanner44

Guest CHUMBLY

Just to say THANK YOU to JMOD this is by far the best fastest most stable ROM Ive used (tried all of them) Greatly looking forward to updates from 1,4 by Jmod. Keep up the brilliant work and many many thanks

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the boot animation, that's the only visible branding, I used to have a J-MOD wallpaper etc but just cut them out. You can if you wish change that, I'm not forcing you to keep it. Look at the Ultimate Pulse Guide for instructions on how to do it.

There is a new version coming soon, just got no time to dedicate to it right now.

New version of J-MOD? Hoewrahhh! Can't wait for it John!

Tried the new 2.2 0.3Beta Rom a few days back, 1st day it seemed stable, but after a while it got really slow, and FC on me a couple of times.

So....you guessed it, back to J-mod again.

Guest JohnPorter
After trying several roms have decided to give this one a go, as everything seems to work without any errors. Started with FLB, and the FLB oc, but kept getting acore errors so gave CM6 a try, but couldn't get A2SD to work, and some how have knackered and killed my 8GB card, so have ended up coming back to 2.1.

A couple of questions I have :

1. Is it possible to overclock the kernal ?

2. is is okay to flash one of the frameworks listed in the ultimate guide.

3. is it okay to change the launcher.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : Changed the launcher, so I know that is okay to change.

1. Yes. v1.5 includes the overclocked kernal. Release coming soon.

2. Yes. You can use any Framework you wish, note that you may need to edit the build.prop etc.

I want to apologise to all supporters of this rom, I've not had the chance to do anything recently but hopefully things will be better this week so I'll work on releasing the new version.

Guest spanner44

Looking forward to the overclock version, I hope it is easy to upgrade.

Also, is it possible to do A2SD Jit with this rom ? the same also with A2SD Cache ?

Thanks

Is there a possibility to replace the orignal launcher with ADW Launcher.

Noo...don't replace it please! I like the original launcher best.

You can always download launcherpro or ADW from the market!

It won't take up much space since J-MOD has APP2SD.

go john go...

my wife lost her pulse and the new one is on its way... could arrive today.

should i wait for the next release?

BTW: i use ADW also, but stock launcher fits better to j-mod.

Edited by emvau

Guest JohnPorter
Is there a possibility to replace the orignal launcher with ADW Launcher.

Just download and install from the Market.

Looking forward to the overclock version, I hope it is easy to upgrade.

Also, is it possible to do A2SD Jit with this rom ? the same also with A2SD Cache ?

Thanks

I've never tried JIT to be honest but I would imagine it would be.

You can move Dalvik Cache to the SD Card providing it's Class 4 or above.

go john go...

my wife lost her pulse and the new one is on its way... could arrive today.

should i wait for the next release?

BTW: i use ADW also, but stock launcher fits better to j-mod.

Your looking at Friday before I release v1.5 so if you can wait then yes other wise just go with v1.4....

Guest olivier k

Hello,

I just went (3 days ago) from CM6 0.3 to J-Mod 1.4. I also used FLB1.6b previously. Even tought I have some FC's on few applications (ie beautiful weather widget) from time to time, for me this is the most useable mod on a daily basis. I did that move because some features are 100% working in the CM port, like the GPS notification, the loop for the ringtones, the camera, etc. On top, I could not really notice an improvement on the speed (I've tried everything to run AngryBirds -JIT-ComCache-Swap, but without luck). So I've installed J-Mod because I think that J. Porter is still maintaining that mod (many thanks to him) and because Fibblesan (thanks to him as well) is playing with an other device now. So, if the small FC issues could be fixed in a future release , I would be more than happy. Anyway, I think I will stay now with J-Mod 1.4 or move to 1.5 if there is any, untill I get a new device early next year. Thanks to the people in this forum, I really learnt a lot and I can't wait to get a dual-core (at least) phone.

Olivier

Edited by olivier k

Guest JohnPorter
Hello,

I just went (3 days ago) from CM6 0.3 to J-Mod 1.4. I also used FLB1.6b previously. Even tought I have some FC's on few applications (ie beautiful weather widget) from time to time, for me this is the most useable mod on a daily basis. I did that move because some features are 100% working in the CM port, like the GPS notification, the loop for the ringtones, the camera, etc. On top, I could not really notice an improvement on the speed (I've tried everything to run AngryBirds -JIT-ComCache-Swap, but without luck). So I've installed J-Mod because I think that J. Porter is still maintaining that mod (many thanks to him) and because Fibblesan (thanks to him as well) is playing with an other device now. So, if the small FC issues could be fixed in a future release , I would be more than happy. Anyway, I think I will stay now with J-Mod 1.4 or move to 1.5 if there is any, untill I get a new device early next year. Thanks to the people in this forum, I really learnt a lot and I can't wait to get a dual-core (at least) phone.

Olivier

Thanks for the kind comments. There is a new version (v1.5) coming out tomorrow.

Unfortunately this will be last update *bar bug fixes* of J-MOD. With CM6 almost there and planned development of another 2.2 based ROM it's pointless working on 2.1 and to be frank, don't think we are going to be get 2.1 any better than we have.

I will still be around thought and I will support the ROM, but after v1.5 don't expect anymore than that. It goes without saying that I want to thank everyone for the support and encouragement in doing this ROM.

it 's us to say thank you, john. looking forward to try your rom on my wife's pulse. i will only install few apps and i guess your very basic rom will be a fast and stable base.

are there any issues?

do you recommend any configuration?

that 's what plan at the moment (panasonic class4-card)

128 ext2/ 96 swap/

a2sd swappy15/nocache/jit enabled/heap 24 mb

setcpu with 691 and 35% upthreshold

tomorrow morning or evening. :P

Guest JohnPorter
it 's us to say thank you, john. looking forward to try your rom on my wife's pulse. i will only install few apps and i guess your very basic rom will be a fast and stable base.

are there any issues?

do you recommend any configuration?

that 's what plan at the moment (panasonic class4-card)

128 ext2/ 96 swap/

a2sd swappy15/nocache/jit enabled/heap 24 mb

setcpu with 691 and 35% upthreshold

tomorrow morning or evening. :P

I'll try my utmost for tomorrow morning, if not then tomorrow evening for sure.

I have a 512MB Ext2, 64MB Swap, Swappy set at 15 with Dalvik Cache on the SDCard to and it's working fine here.

I have 1 issue with v1.5 which I can't seem to solve - when you call a contact, it FCs when you press the physical green call button, using the touch screen everything works fine.

Do you face some issues?

Have installed J-Mod 1.4 and titanium-restored 57 apps this morning.

I'm pretty impressed by the speed. How fast could it be with overclocked kernel?

Your rom might be first choice at the moment. CM6.1 is very stable, but not as fast at all. AND: i could not get flb-mod stable on my device. there might be a tweak too much here and there.

well, i am kind of late, but I REALLY DO LIKE YOUR MOD!!!

only thing i dislike at the moment is, that i can 't sort "lastname firstname". i use stock contacts and acontacts. any idea?

I'll try my utmost for tomorrow morning, if not then tomorrow evening for sure.

Hello with Happy thanksgiving. I'm new here. Since 2 months ago started to try all mods and ended with j-mod. So waiting for 1.5 and hope it will be with some kernel to overclock the cpu. I think cpu with 650 mhz is just good enough. Over 650 it was unstable. With all mods i had and still have one issue, handcent sms and chomp sms never worked for me. Now my favorite app "Absolute system root tool" is not working. It closes down after getting su permission granted. :D Also sometimes after reboot red "j-mod" boot screen blinks with no ending, so I have to take out the battery and restart again. :P

I don't know if I will stick with pulse, may be I will give it to someone in my family and will get galaxy s, means I will still be messing with pulse. So I'll be around in this modaco, observing the developments and trying other mods if they continue to be developed in future. :D