J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
doses here have sameoneseng <j-mod-v1.4.zip> to my e-mail : [email protected]

download link wasn's work.

thans!

Download link works okay for me. Send me a PM with your emaill address if you want it emailing.

For those wanting screenshots, they are coming, didn't get time yesterday/last night to do them.

Guest twrock

John, see if this works for you as a "base" to start from: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j84p9q1jop2z...-su-a2sd-bb.zip

It is the UK 2.1 rom (B826) with the swap kernel, root/su, a2sd, busybox, /data/app, bootanimation-enabled, name changed to reflect modifications, wifi fix, and DocsToGo removed from /system/app (to make room for SuperUser). NOTHING else was done to it, so I think this should be a "clean" base to start from to build other roms. It's kind of like the UK 2.1 CCR, but just updated using the latest "kitchen" and latest versions of the apps in the kitchen (like SuperUser, etc.).

After someone tries it and confirms it is working, I'll go ahead and make a new post about it, but I don't want to do that until I know it works.

Note: I have not signed it, nor have I even booted it. I'm experimenting with some old 1.5 roms at the moment, and I don't want to reflash to 2.1 in the middle of my other fun. Please let me know if it is flawed somehow. (But I already know it will have that same problem with "fix permissions" our other roms do; that's not something I know how to fix.)

Edit: removed the file until testing is done.

Edited by twrock

Guest JohnPorter
John, see if this works for you as a "base" to start from: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j84p9q1jop2z...-su-a2sd-bb.zip

It is the UK 2.1 rom (B826) with the swap kernel, root/su, a2sd, busybox, /data/app, bootanimation-enabled, name changed to reflect modifications, wifi fix, and DocsToGo removed from /system/app (to make room for SuperUser). NOTHING else was done to it, so I think this should be a "clean" base to start from to build other roms. It's kind of like the UK 2.1 CCR, but just updated using the latest "kitchen" and latest versions of the apps in the kitchen (like SuperUser, etc.).

After someone tries it and confirms it is working, I'll go ahead and make a new post about it, but I don't want to do that until I know it works.

Note: I have not signed it, nor have I even booted it. I'm experimenting with some old 1.5 roms at the moment, and I don't want to reflash to 2.1 in the middle of my other fun. Please let me know if it is flawed somehow. (But I already know it will have that same problem with "fix permissions" our other roms do; that's not something I know how to fix.)

Trying it now, will post back.

Nope doesn't work, gets stuck at the Android Boot Logo....

Edited by JohnPorter

hi,

problem!

i can update to uk2.1 (phone was at the service and they put the new motherboard) phone came with-firmware 1.5

i update phone to december

and when i try update to uk2.1 (level up-red-power) phone start "unpacking" then "installing" and in the midle of installing stop-update failing!

i install this update before (service)10 times and everithing was ok.What happend now?

i put the battery out and in and try to power on the phone,but come blue screen-

usb fast boot: v0.5

machine id: 1007000 v0

build date: jun 30 2010

msm id: 16

msm version:2.0

modem build id 76.....

serial number: unknown

ptn 0 name="boot start304 len=20

ptn 1,2,3,4,5..

and the last line was - CANNOT READ RAMDISK IMAGE

Edited by tunat

Guest JohnPorter
hi,

problem!

i can update to uk2.1 (phone was at the service and they put the new motherboard) phone came with-firmware 1.5

i update phone to december

and when i try update to uk2.1 (level up-red-power) phone start "unpacking" then "installing" and in the midle of installing stop-update failing!

i install this update before (service)10 times and everithing was ok.What happend now?

i put the battery out and in and try to power on the phone,but come blue screen-

usb fast boot: v0.5

machine id: 1007000 v0

build date: jun 30 2010

msm id: 16

msm version:2.0

modem build id 76.....

serial number: unknown

ptn 0 name="boot start304 len=20

ptn 1,2,3,4,5..

and the last line was - CANNOT READ RAMDISK IMAGE

Re-install December Update and try again. Don't forget to put just the dload folder on your SDCard

Re-install December Update and try again. Don't forget to put just the dload folder on your SDCard

i did-twice! on another sd card i have only december update and that works(update is ok) but when i try again uk 2.1,again update failed

now im back on december and everithing works ,i try again with uk

on my sd card with uk i have only uk2.1 update,nothing else

i dont now...

it works before...

update failed!

now i try from december update-system-aplication-upgrade-nothing!

Edited by tunat

Guest JohnPorter
instaled HU 2.1 everithing works

why uk making problem?

i installed before the(uk2.1) same file more times

why????

Not sure. You could try the TRE update and then update to J-MOD from there.

Trying it now, will post back.

Nope doesn't work, gets stuck at the Android Boot Logo....

Weird. I went back and installed it just fine. Boots and runs perfectly on my phone (well, to be honest, I hate the pink, and the bug in the Canvas launcher that reverses two of the icons is there). I'll try uploading it again just in case there was a problem with the online file, but other than that, I don't know why you can't get it to run.

Maybe you could try reflashing an updata first to see if that is an issue? Also, I regularly use the Tre updata, so there is an outside chance that had something to do with it? Maybe all of those roms you baked might have also worked fine but the problem is somewhere else? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'll come back and edit the link after I re-upload it.

LOL. :) My bad! I think I see what went wrong. No, that rom will not install over the UK update. I accidentally mixed and matched and created a hybrid. (Not a bad hybrid, I might add, but not something that will work with the UK update, and it certainly is not the rom I intended to create.) It works fine over the Tre update.

When I have time tonight, I'll start over and actually test it this time. :)

Not sure. You could try the TRE update and then update to J-MOD from there.

nothing..........i can install only HU 2.1 and it works great! (New motherboard?) i like HU ,it has everything in croatian and works perfect for now.

i would like to install j-mod 1.4 but i dont know how it works with HU(you said it must be UK) So,i will stick with HU while is working

PS.

i now its not exactly the tread,but can you tell me can i install a2sd on HU 2.1(thats the only thing im missing for now). i look treads but cant find enything about(only for custom room)

thanks

Guest JohnPorter
nothing..........i can install only HU 2.1 and it works great! (New motherboard?) i like HU ,it has everything in croatian and works perfect for now.

i would like to install j-mod 1.4 but i dont know how it works with HU(you said it must be UK) So,i will stick with HU while is working

PS.

i now its not exactly the tread,but can you tell me can i install a2sd on HU 2.1(thats the only thing im missing for now). i look treads but cant find enything about(only for custom room)

thanks

J-MOD won't work with the HU Update I'm afraid, different partition sizes :)

You have to root the ROM and then install A2SD, if you look back a couple of pages on this thread Flib posted a URL to a kitchen which makes it a breeze.

J-MOD won't work with the HU Update I'm afraid, different partition sizes :)

You have to root the ROM and then install A2SD, if you look back a couple of pages on this thread Flib posted a URL to a kitchen which makes it a breeze.

(too much for me..)

thank you

Guest DanWilson
...and it's took you how long to tell me that? :)

:)

Only just looked through the first post there. Normally I skip to the last page, read the post, close the tab and refresh my other tab (Modaco Pulse).

:)

People might have been searching the forum for Expresso Mod earlier!

Guest JohnPorter
LOL. :) My bad! I think I see what went wrong. No, that rom will not install over the UK update. I accidentally mixed and matched and created a hybrid. (Not a bad hybrid, I might add, but not something that will work with the UK update, and it certainly is not the rom I intended to create.) It works fine over the Tre update.

When I have time tonight, I'll start over and actually test it this time. :)

I've managed to get a rom created using the kitchen to install and boot on my phone, i just have 2 issues:

1. WiFi won't work, I've copied the wpa_suppliment.conf to /system/etc/wifi folder

2. It won't connect to the Service Provider ie...it doesn't pick up a signal.

Got any ideas?

I've managed to get a rom created using the kitchen to install and boot on my phone, i just have 2 issues:

1. WiFi won't work, I've copied the wpa_suppliment.conf to /system/etc/wifi folder

2. It won't connect to the Service Provider ie...it doesn't pick up a signal.

Got any ideas?

All I can say is that the UK rom simply behaves differently for me than the Tre or Taiwan CHT rom does. I can do all sorts of messing around with those two roms, including creating all sorts of hybrids combining the two, but not so with the UK rom. Yes, I had the trouble with wifi too in one of my trials. Rom booted great and looked great, but no wifi. Then I got that working, but the new rom had something really screwed up with a2sd. Doing anything in Terminal Emulator related to a2sd returned nothing but strings of error messages. I went back and started the whole process from scratch, just in the outside chance that I had bad boot.img and system.img to start with. I just can't seem to get a good rom out of the kitchen based on the UK updata. Granted, I quit trying after the fourth failure, but those four failures came after I had succeeded many times with both the Tre and CHT roms, and even after I went back and baked a new CHT 1.5 rom in the kitchen. So I really can't say exactly where the problem is.

A couple of things I experimented with that got different results had to do with how Busybox was implemented and whether or not I set Apps2SD to use the BB run-parts method or not. I got better results when I did not set a2sd to use the BB run-parts method. Some of my experimentation with this and other rom cooking was to implement one change at a time and test the results. It's a very slow way of doing it, but it is effective to see what caused the problem. In other words, I first cooked a rom without making any changes to see if that worked. Then I only enabled root to see if that worked. Then I moved on. Of course, I still didn't get a good UK rom, so who knows if that is helpful or not. Oh, and that deal about the /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf was key to getting roms to work. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without that.

You probably know this already, but just in case someone else doesn't, here it is. It is important to make sure you are starting with a boot.img that has the swap (and/or oc) kernel, but no changes to the ram-disk. The kitchen will do all of the changing of the ram-disk that are necessary, so you should not be using a boot.img copied out of any previously modified rom. You need to extract the swap kernel and then rebuild the boot.img you want to use in the kitchen by using an unmodified ram-disk out of the original UK updata. So you unpack each boot.img to get both of the kernels and ram-disks, and then you repack the boot.img using the swap kernel and the original ram-disk. From that point on, you will have the boot.img you need to build the rom you want. So in my kitchen, I have four folders each containing multiple boot.img's and system.img's clearly labeled so that I can easily drop copies of whatever I want to try to build into the "oven" and go from there. After doing it many times, it is all really quick at this point. It takes much longer to do all the "post-baking" modifications than getting a signed rom out of the the kitchen. Maybe someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what has worked for me.

My only motivation at this point to work with the UK rom is because it is a challenge and a learning process. I prefer the Tre and CHT roms, since the UK /system is too small for the roms I want to build. And I still wonder if the UK rom is flawed somehow. AFAIK, we didn't get a good answer from T-Mo UK on why they pulled it.

I hope success comes soon for you.

Edit: I already said way too much, but one final reminder for anyone who is experimenting. Complete wipe every time. Forgetting to do this will cause much heartache when you finally discover that your rom was fine all along, but you didn't wipe before installing it. I've had the most bizarre things happen after installing a rom, only to come to the realization that in my rush to try out my new rom, I didn't wipe.

Edited by twrock

Guest JohnPorter
All I can say is that the UK rom simply behaves differently for me than the Tre or Taiwan CHT rom does. I can do all sorts of messing around with those two roms, including creating all sorts of hybrids combining the two, but not so with the UK rom. Yes, I had the trouble with wifi too in one of my trials. Rom booted great and looked great, but no wifi. Then I got that working, but the new rom had something really screwed up with a2sd. Doing anything in Terminal Emulator related to a2sd returned nothing but strings of error messages. I went back and started the whole process from scratch, just in the outside chance that I had bad boot.img and system.img to start with. I just can't seem to get a good rom out of the kitchen based on the UK updata. Granted, I quit trying after the fourth failure, but those four failures came after I had succeeded many times with both the Tre and CHT roms, and even after I went back and baked a new CHT 1.5 rom in the kitchen. So I really can't say exactly where the problem is.

A couple of things I experimented with that got different results had to do with how Busybox was implemented and whether or not I set Apps2SD to use the BB run-parts method or not. I got better results when I did not set a2sd to use the BB run-parts method. Some of my experimentation with this and other rom cooking was to implement one change at a time and test the results. It's a very slow way of doing it, but it is effective to see what caused the problem. In other words, I first cooked a rom without making any changes to see if that worked. Then I only enabled root to see if that worked. Then I moved on. Of course, I still didn't get a good UK rom, so who knows if that is helpful or not. Oh, and that deal about the /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf was key to getting roms to work. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without that.

You probably know this already, but just in case someone else doesn't, here it is. It is important to make sure you are starting with a boot.img that has the swap (and/or oc) kernel, but no changes to the ram-disk. The kitchen will do all of the changing of the ram-disk that are necessary, so you should not be using a boot.img copied out of any previously modified rom. You need to extract the swap kernel and then rebuild the boot.img you want to use in the kitchen by using an unmodified ram-disk out of the original UK updata. So you unpack each boot.img to get both of the kernels and ram-disks, and then you repack the boot.img using the swap kernel and the original ram-disk. From that point on, you will have the boot.img you need to build the rom you want. So in my kitchen, I have four folders each containing multiple boot.img's and system.img's clearly labeled so that I can easily drop copies of whatever I want to try to build into the "oven" and go from there. After doing it many times, it is all really quick at this point. It takes much longer to do all the "post-baking" modifications than getting a signed rom out of the the kitchen. Maybe someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what has worked for me.

My only motivation at this point to work with the UK rom is because it is a challenge and a learning process. I prefer the Tre and CHT roms, since the UK /system is too small for the roms I want to build. And I still wonder if the UK rom is flawed somehow. AFAIK, we didn't get a good answer from T-Mo UK on why they pulled it.

I hope success comes soon for you.

Edit: I already said way too much, but one final reminder for anyone who is experimenting. Complete wipe every time. Forgetting to do this will cause much heartache when you finally discover that your rom was fine all along, but you didn't wipe before installing it. I've had the most bizarre things happen after installing a rom, only to come to the realization that in my rush to try out my new rom, I didn't wipe.

Hmmmm, not looking hopeful at all then. I'm sure I did the boot image correctly, but may try and do it again and see if that makes a difference but I don't hold too much hope! If I can get DarkTremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.1 Final working then I'd be happy with how the ROM is, but is proving to be a challenge.

I've just tried again with a completely rebuilt boot.img as twrock suggested and the same probs with wifi and not getting a signal.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter

WOOHOO!

I have a working ROM with Darktremor A2SD 2.75.1 at long last built through the kitchen! Just need to do some testing and make a couple of changes and then I can release a new version again!