J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
Yeah all the info is in the DT thread. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong but installing DT through the kitchen worked, where manually it didn't.

do you have to start with a "non-a2sd" enabled boot.img?

do you have to start with a "non-a2sd" enabled boot.img?

I too am interested in Fibblesan's reply. There is a lot to learn about this "rom cooking". But to add my own experience into the mix.....

I have not been using a "kitchen" to build the rom components I'm working on. So in my case, using a rom that someone else already modified (fibblesan's Tre rom, in my case), created a major mess. So I went back to the beginning and started over with the Tre updata, unpacked it, took the boot.img, upacked it, made the necessary changes to get su and a2sd going, replaced the kernel with the swap-enabled one fibblesan made, repacked it, and eventually had a "clean" boot.img to work with as the base to build the rest of the rom. Now I'm in the middle of learning how to put the rest of the components together (with the proper install scripts, etc.). But, having seen that there is a workable kitchen to use, I might drop it and go with that and let "Betty Crocker" make the cake for me. That looks so much easier and probably will eliminate a lot of frustration when I make stupid mistakes.

But, either way, I have learned a lot, and it's been fun. (Well, there have been those exceedingly frustrating moments as well.....) :lol:

Enjoy.

I use DSIXDA Rom Kitchen which runs using Cygwin on Windows. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

It seriously makes my life easier. I tend to only have issues when I've been changing stuff by hand.. like recently when I've prevented new versions of A2SD working :lol:

So, any chance you are going to add that into FLB 1.6c? B)

Guest JohnPorter
I too am interested in Fibblesan's reply. There is a lot to learn about this "rom cooking". But to add my own experience into the mix.....

I have not been using a "kitchen" to build the rom components I'm working on. So in my case, using a rom that someone else already modified (fibblesan's Tre rom, in my case), created a major mess. So I went back to the beginning and started over with the Tre updata, unpacked it, took the boot.img, upacked it, made the necessary changes to get su and a2sd going, replaced the kernel with the swap-enabled one fibblesan made, repacked it, and eventually had a "clean" boot.img to work with as the base to build the rest of the rom. Now I'm in the middle of learning how to put the rest of the components together (with the proper install scripts, etc.). But, having seen that there is a workable kitchen to use, I might drop it and go with that and let "Betty Crocker" make the cake for me. That looks so much easier and probably will eliminate a lot of frustration when I make stupid mistakes.

But, either way, I have learned a lot, and it's been fun. (Well, there have been those exceedingly frustrating moments as well.....) :lol:

Enjoy.

Cool, that's given me an idea!

Enjoy.

That is basically it. Start off with the system.img and boot.img from the stock Tre or UK ROM then use the rom kitchen to add a2sd etc etc to the ROM.

I recommend you add:

Root permissions

BusyBox

then press 0 for advanced options

/data/app functionality

Nano

Bash

Apps2SD

busybox run-parts

Then you'll have a good base to work on which you can then add frameworks, remove and replace apps etc.

Oh and since the stock ROM doesn't have this by default, move "wpa_supplicant.conf" to /system/etc/wifi/ or you won't be able to enable wifi. You can find wpa_supplicant inside the /system/cust/hw folder.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest JohnPorter

Thanks Flib, really appreciate your help on this.

Had a play with the Kitchen earlier and like what I see. Created a ROM with it but not had time to test it as yet, so we will see later.

That is basically it. Start off with the system.img and boot.img from the stock Tre or UK ROM then use the rom kitchen to add a2sd etc etc to the ROM.

<snip>

Yes, thanks, that's very helpful.

I've been unpacking the original updata.app with the mcspoon/zebadger script. But I'm ignoring the crc errors it generates. So far so good, and I've been able to get the boot.img I've wanted out of that.

What did you use to get the boot.img and system.img pulled out?

Guest JohnPorter
Yes, thanks, that's very helpful.

I've been unpacking the original updata.app with the mcspoon/zebadger script. But I'm ignoring the crc errors it generates. So far so good, and I've been able to get the boot.img I've wanted out of that.

What did you use to get the boot.img and system.img pulled out?

I used the zebadger script....

Yeah same script. The CRC errors are only because the CRC app isn't working properly (or it doesn't work under cygwin).

Doesn't work under ubuntu either. :lol:

Well, since my attempts to modify the CHT's original boot.img didn't work tonight, maybe I'll give the kitchen a go.

Hey, I just thought of something. Regarding the kernel you modded to enable swap, is that only going to work in UK/Tre roms? I ask because I was able to switch it into the Tre boot.img I messed with, but I haven't had any luck working on the CHT8000's boot.img.

Doesn't work under ubuntu either. :lol:

Well, since my attempts to modify the CHT's original boot.img didn't work tonight, maybe I'll give the kitchen a go.

Hey, I just thought of something. Regarding the kernel you modded to enable swap, is that only going to work in UK/Tre roms? I ask because I was able to switch it into the Tre boot.img I messed with, but I haven't had any luck working on the CHT8000's boot.img.

The kernel itself should work with all U8220 phones. The only thing you will need to do is swap the contents of the /system/wifi/ folder with the files from the UK rom.

Guest JohnPorter
The kernel itself should work with all U8220 phones. The only thing you will need to do is swap the contents of the /system/wifi/ folder with the files from the UK rom.

Unless I've done it wrong, the /system/wifi folder doesn't exist in the UK ROM, when I went to copy the .conf file to the folder I couldn't find it and had to create it .....

Not sure if this causes problems, I can't get the rom i created using the kitchen to install on my phone....

Edited by JohnPorter

Definitely should be /system/wifi as that contains the wifi binaries.

And wpa_supplicant is in /system/cust/hw/

What error is being given by recovery when you try to install the rom? I use Clockworkmod Recovery which usually gives a better error message (ie it tells me exactly what the problem is, rather than a line number).

Guest JohnPorter

What error is being given by recovery when you try to install the rom? I use Clockworkmod Recovery which usually gives a better error message (ie it tells me exactly what the problem is, rather than a line number).

I found the file ok just not the system/wifi folder, will look again later. can't remember the error will try again later and see and post back.

I'm working late tonight so be after 9pm before I can do anything.

Oh and since the stock ROM doesn't have this by default, move "wpa_supplicant.conf" to /system/etc/wifi/ or you won't be able to enable wifi. You can find wpa_supplicant inside the /system/cust/hw folder.

Wow! Getting a booting rom out of the kitchen is a whole lot easier than "long-hand". Thanks for all the pointers.

But, of course nothing goes exactly according to plan. :lol: I'm working with the Tre rom. Wifi doesn't work, that much is clear.

wpa_supplicant.conf is in /system/cust/hw/default; so far so good. But, there is no /system/etc/wifi folder. There is a /system/etc/wifi file with this code in it:

/data/cust/wifi

There is also a /system/wifi folder, into which I copied the wpa_supplicant.conf file. But did not solve my problem. Wifi still does not work.

Any other ideas?

On the up side, everything else seems to be working, including swap. That's cool. B)

Edited by twrock

Wow! Getting a booting rom out of the kitchen is a whole lot easier than "long-hand". Thanks for all the pointers.

But, of course nothing goes exactly according to plan. :lol: I'm working with the Tre rom. Wifi doesn't work, that much is clear.

wpa_supplicant.conf is in /system/cust/hw/default; so far so good. But, there is no /system/etc/wifi folder. There is a /system/etc/wifi file with this code in it:

/data/cust/wifi

There is also a /system/wifi folder, into which I copied the wpa_supplicant.conf file. But did not solve my problem. Wifi still does not work.

Any other ideas?

On the up side, everything else seems to be working, including swap. That's cool. B)

Delete the /system/etc/wifi file. Make a folder called /system/etc/wifi/ and copy the wpa_supplicant.conf into this folder

The wifi file is a symlink from the original ROM which doesn't work when you package it up. You could create the symlink manually in the setup script but I've not found any issues just moving the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Delete the /system/etc/wifi file. Make a folder called /system/etc/wifi/ and copy the wpa_supplicant.conf into this folder

The wifi file is a symlink from the original ROM which doesn't work when you package it up. You could create the symlink manually in the setup script but I've not found any issues just moving the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

You are the man! B) Yep, that did it. I don't know where you find this stuff, but I'm grateful you are willing to share it.

Thanks so much.

(But I seriously must go to bed now; way too few hours of sleep await me. :lol: )

You are the man! B) Yep, that did it. I don't know where you find this stuff, but I'm grateful you are willing to share it.

Thanks so much.

(But I seriously must go to bed now; way too few hours of sleep await me. :lol: )

I play with things until they work, and makes me wonder why Huawei do half the stuff they do.

Guest JohnPorter

The WIFI folder did exist I was looking in the wrong place.

The error I'm getting is:

E: Can't chown/mod /system/bin/ip (no such file or directory) E:Failure at line 67: set_perm 0 3003 067555 SYSTEM:bin/ip Installation aborted.

The WIFI folder did exist I was looking in the wrong place.

The error I'm getting is:

E: Can't chown/mod /system/bin/ip (no such file or directory) E:Failure at line 67: set_perm 0 3003 067555 SYSTEM:bin/ip Installation aborted.

Hm I don't have that in my setup script. Did you copy your existing script over or allow the kitchen to create one?

Guest JohnPorter
Hm I don't have that in my setup script. Did you copy your existing script over or allow the kitchen to create one?

I let the Kitchen create one, one thing I have noticed though is that in the zip created by the Kitchen there are 2 additional files, check_data.app and installbusybox? I'be never come across these files before

I let the Kitchen create one, one thing I have noticed though is that in the zip created by the Kitchen there are 2 additional files, check_data.app and installbusybox? I'be never come across these files before

Yeah they are useful. installbusybox sets up all the correct symlinks that Busybox uses. The check_data replaces the command usually found in the script which deletes the data:app directory as this can fail when you're using apps2sd.

Guest JohnPorter

Well at the moment, I feel I'm in too deep trying to add Darktremor 2.7.5.1, so I'm going to release the version I'm using on my phone at the moment as v1.4, it has everything, Apps2SD, Swap with Swappiness set to 15 etc etc.

Think I need to learn loads before I can do anything more serious to the ROM.

Giving up on the Kitchen, no matter what I try or do, nothing works! Back to the drawing board.

Edited by JohnPorter