Quality of finish on the Galaxy S (epic fail)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Mekerz
I still don't see the point of the comparison. The price difference between the SGS and the low-end phone you compare it to is obviously from the cost of the components that make the phone a high-end phone (high resolution Super AMOLED screen, top of the line CPU/GPU, lots of expensive nand memory, super accurate touch panel, etc); this is no indication of the build quality, or lack thereof. It doesn't make sense.

You're assumption seems to be that the low-end device AND the SGS are both built poorly as a design decision, I don't see any proof of that at this time.

So far, it seems like only Paul's got serious issues with the build of his particular phone, the bulk of respondents here claim no unusual signs of wear and tear. The few complaints we have here beyond Paul's could be said of any device. I myself pointed to a scratched screen for no reason on my original EDGE iPhone and of significant scratching and cracking on my iPhone 3G - I don't think anyone would argue those were cheaply made devices.

I can't argue that the plastic backing of the SGS doesn't "feel" cheap after coming from a Nexus One, but I also can't say that it's a cheaply built phone based on my 5-6 weeks experience. It's survived a drop to the hardwood floor, riding with keys in my pocket, riding with another unprotected iPhone 4 in the same pocket (glass on glass rubbing), heavy use of the home button, and heavy use in general. No signs of scratching or damage to mine, so I won't concede that it's actually built cheaply at this time.

The SGS phone's amazingly light in the hand a good 40 grams lighter than iphones and almost the same lighter than the Nexus One. Maybe the design decisions were with that in mind, not to build a cheap product. Who's to say?

We'll only know if in the coming months more people start complaining of abnormal wear & tear.

Well yes, the hardware inside will obviously cost more than a £100 SIM free handset, but the hardware inside the Nexus One, Desire and iPhone are probably no less cheaper but their cases are much sturdier. I just like to know that when I buy a £400 handset, I can feel a £400 handset in my hand.

I like the specification of the Galaxy and I was interested in one, but when the store assistant got one out of its case for me to try and it felt the same as the dummy model on display - I instantly knew build quality wasn't the same.

HTC Sense and the metal body made me go for the Desire and it can run anything the Galaxy S can. So for me, there was nothing to gain apart from faster 720p videos and benchmark bragging rights to offset against the cheap feel.

Guest DistortedLoop
Well yes, the hardware inside will obviously cost more than a £100 SIM free handset, but the hardware inside the Nexus One, Desire and iPhone are probably no less cheaper but their cases are much sturdier. I just like to know that when I buy a £400 handset, I can feel a £400 handset in my hand.

I like the specification of the Galaxy and I was interested in one, but when the store assistant got one out of its case for me to try and it felt the same as the dummy model on display - I instantly knew build quality wasn't the same.

HTC Sense and the metal body made me go for the Desire and it can run anything the Galaxy S can. So for me, there was nothing to gain apart from faster 720p videos and benchmark bragging rights to offset against the cheap feel.

You're forgetting the SGS line are the only phones with SUPER AMOLED screens. There's no comparing the Desire to the SGS in sunlight. The Desire screen can't be seen, the SGS is still completely useable. That's what makes the phone desirable in my opinion.

Guest DistortedLoop
Coupled with the epic lag fail I'm seriously unimpressed!

Didn't you tweet last week or two that you were gonna find a proper fix for that? LOL

My biggest concern in all this is that the SGS fell out of favor with you and you might be switching back to the N1 or another phone. I fear that what little love the SGS gets from devs will be that much less if it falls out of favor with you. Especially devastating news to those of us who obtained this phone largely, or at least partly, on your early praises of it. I certainly understand your position though, if the phone doesn't meet expectations move on, it's what I do these days!

Didn't you tweet last week or two that you were gonna find a proper fix for that? LOL

My biggest concern in all this is that the SGS fell out of favor with you and you might be switching back to the N1 or another phone. I fear that what little love the SGS gets from devs will be that much less if it falls out of favor with you. Especially devastating news to those of us who obtained this phone largely, or at least partly, on your early praises of it. I certainly understand your position though, if the phone doesn't meet expectations move on, it's what I do these days!

Hehe, yeah, I've played with a bunch of lag fixes and while they are good, they're not 100% imho.

I still love a lot about the Galaxy S tho...

P

lol ... the last picture is really terrible, what did you do to this poor phone? :D

mine fell 2 times (both times not my fault). 1 time from about 1.3 meters on hard ground and 1 time from about 2.2 meters (from a loft bed) but in a case and it doesn't have single scratch ;) ... but i have so say i am a little pissed about the glass in front of the camera. it already has several small scratches! :D

Guest DistortedLoop
Hehe, yeah, I've played with a bunch of lag fixes and while they are good, they're not 100% imho.

I still love a lot about the Galaxy S tho...

The loop mount based lag fix certainly stalls occasionally still, as did mimocan, but the phone is crazy fast with them otherwise.

Paul, which ROM are you using for everyday? Your own MCR (JG5?) or the JP3

Guest Compuse

hehe, no no no; it's not the phone paul!

Just, before putting it back in your pockets, clear out your pockets from all the dirt and sand you've collected from your neighbors sand box!

HTC is warning everybody to get your phone out of the pocket before sitting down! (just found it out in the boxes, wrapped around the phone)

Guest DistortedLoop
hehe, no no no; it's not the phone paul!

Just, before putting it back in your pockets, clear out your pockets from all the dirt and sand you've collected from your neighbors sand box!

More like from all the beach trips he's made in the cool camper van thing...

Guest ragflan

Yeap. I hope you continue to support the Galaxy, Paul. Hope it stays your device of choice despite the many issues of it. I hope by September we have a more usable phone that doesn't have lag issues.

Guest derbysig
dude i tried doing that i and i ended up with some weird cut diamond shape for the button haha, did you measure the buttons size and then cut it out? i just cut it out i guess lol

hey, well. i used a piece of paper to first get the shape out...slight smaller than the actual side...

then trimmed the screen protector using the paper as a guide line, and voila~~

anyway...i had to cut the a 3rd time to get a better shape. haha...my hands arent listening to what my brain is saying at times~

Edited by derbysig

Have had mine around 2 months I guess, still prett good condiiton, no button wear, no screen scratches.

I am using a zenus silicon cover to protect it if I drop it while I am drunk :D

Edited by JaGuR

Guest Deebster

Just another post to say that after a month of heavy use, keeping in a back pocket and dropping it a few times the only sign of the abuse is a slight nick on the chrome from when it slipped out of my pocket onto a paving slab.

Hopefully Paul's is just a bad apple

Guest AXIS of Reality

Putting my 2 cents in, I've had mine for a month and use it ALL THE TIME.

I'm quite careful with my devices, but not anal and I hate screen protectors so I'm not using one of them. I've just got one of those korean plastic mesh back cases from eBay on.

So far zero scratches, zero wear and tear (and I was terrified of the chrome bezel from my friend's nokia that had the chrome paint wearing off after 2 weeks) and no marks on the home button which I use a lot. It sits in my pocket with my earphones, including the metal jack unplugged and unprotected other than the back case with no scratches on the screen thus far.

However, there is some slight creaking on the right-side when squeezing the bezel. I'm pretty sure I know how this started, so:

WARNING TO ALL: do NOT use one of those gel, aka jelly, aka TPU soft silicon-esque cases. Why? Because I had mine and like all the Galaxy S ones currently available it covered the power and volume buttons so you press the raised parts of the case. As anyone with one of these cases would know you need to apply a lot more pressure than normal, and after using this case for a while I noticed when I took my phone out of the case there would be some slight creaking from the right-hand side when any pressure is put on the chrome bezel. I'm certain this was caused over time by the larger pressure required to press the power and volume buttons in the case stressing the sides, so I quickly changed to the nice hard mesh case with cut-outs for the buttons so I don't have to squeeze hard. I really think it could have gotten a lot more serious if I kept using the case for weeks or months and potentially dislodged the chrome bezel or cracked the glass from the side-pressure.

Edited by AXIS of Reality

Guest amacrobie

Similar experiences here too, no marks on the front and the action button isn't too bad, but the back and sides (including the shiny trim around the front of the phone) have worn very badly, the phone was kept in my shirt or jeans pocket then, after dropping it once, I started to keep it in a silicone case, the gentle rubbign action of the case on the back of the phone has left wear marks all over the place.

Given the cost of the phone (mine was bought off contract) I'm really quite disappointed in that respect and (as quite rightly pointed out) coupled with the lag has made this the second and last samsung I'll ever buy. Such a shame, they were really so close to the mark there. :D

Guest DistortedLoop

Okay, so without debating whether the phone is cheaply made or not, I'm curious what those of you who are saying this is your last Sammy phone are going to get instead.

The Nexus One is a solidly built, tank of a phone, there's no doubt about it, but it has the worst touch screen accuracy in the history of cell phones as far as I am concerned as well as a horrible red cast to the display. The HTC EVO 4G I tested for a month had the screen start separating from the frame in just 13 days, and it had some pretty awful pink cast to it. So, with both HTC phones I've owned, the screens have color correction issues, and some other issue (separation or bad design) with the touch panel. In my mind, HTC isn't winning any points on build quality here...at least after 6 weeks my Sammy's not falling apart, and the display and touch panel are accurate.

What phone are you guys gonna get, and what criteria? A Motorola...? They're bulky and ugly the ones I would consider (Droid X or Droid 2). A Dell Streak...?

What out there that isn't an iPhone has superb build quality, quality components, stable software, and isn't locked down in some stupid way by the carrier?

Guest mickeko
What out there that isn't an iPhone has superb build quality, quality components, stable software, and isn't locked down in some stupid way by the carrier?

I'm not sure I'd call the Apple glass-sandwich superb build quality...

Edited by mickeko

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm not sure I'd call the Apple glass-sandwich superb build quality...

Glass-sandwich! LOL. Too true.

Whether you like the design aesthetic or not, the build quality is high. Quality components that appear to be put together well. It certainly doesn't look or feel cheaply built. Same for older iPhone models - I've personally dismantled a 3G to replace a cracked screen; nicely put together.

Bear in mind, that other than the "feel" of the plastic back in my hand, I'm not one of those positing that the SGS is cheaply made to begin with, but comparing my iPhone 4 in my hand to my SGS, I'd have to say that if forced to say which one looked like it was a cheaply made phone, it would be the SGS.

Do you own both?

Guest miker71
Okay, so without debating whether the phone is cheaply made or not, I'm curious what those of you who are saying this is your last Sammy phone are going to get instead.

I've gone from iPhone 3G to Nexus One to the Samsung Galaxy S.

My main reason for ditching the Galaxy is the ongoing GPS issues which I'm not convinced can be fixed to my satisfaction. The lag issue is a factor, although I'm running Paul's rooted JP3 and using it day-to-day and it's relatively stable.

When I looked at my usage habits I realised what I really want is a big screen that I can carry in my pocket (I do a lot of reading and am but a casual gamer, I'll be happy with Scrabble or Bejeweled). The Dell Streak fits this bill more so than any other device I can find. The SGS 16:9 screen is already 4" and it's great (I could never go back to iPhone 3.5" ratio screen now) but I have the feeling that's Dell's device will be precisely what I'm looking for, and, be up to the task (and hopefully have a decent GPS chip!). Anyway, I should find out in the next few days after it arrives!

I also feel a bit let down with the SGS - the hardware is great on paper, some good benchmarks etc - but ultimately, real-world it has too many problems for me. (I should point out that build quality and wear/tear is not one of those problems).

I know the Streak is running 1.6 but 2.1 is about and 2.2 is a month or so away by most accounts.

Guest mickeko
Glass-sandwich! LOL. Too true.

Whether you like the design aesthetic or not, the build quality is high. Quality components that appear to be put together well. It certainly doesn't look or feel cheaply built. Same for older iPhone models - I've personally dismantled a 3G to replace a cracked screen; nicely put together.

Bear in mind, that other than the "feel" of the plastic back in my hand, I'm not one of those positing that the SGS is cheaply made to begin with, but comparing my iPhone 4 in my hand to my SGS, I'd have to say that if forced to say which one looked like it was a cheaply made phone, it would be the SGS.

Do you own both?

No, I don't own an iPhone4. Tbh I haven't even seen one in real life yet. But the terms "build quality" and "glass" don't really match up well in my book (unless it's 10cm thick bulletproof glass we're talking about). Going by my standards build quality is how much of a beating something can take before it's unusable. Somehow people today judge it by how much beating it can take before it starts looking worn. It's all marketing... Design over function.

If a phone shatters when I drop it from 50cm height because it hits the wrong corner then it's not good build quality, it doesn't matter if I can shake it in a bag along with 10 powered on grinders without it getting a single scratch.

Guest DistortedLoop
If a phone shatters when I drop it from 50cm height because it hits the wrong corner then it's not good build quality, it doesn't matter if I can shake it in a bag along with 10 powered on grinders without it getting a single scratch.

Don't drop it then.

LOL.

I was in my driveway taking pictures of the sunset with both my SGS and iP4. I laid the iP4 on the hood of my friends truck and it slid right off, hit the bumper, then the asphalt. Not a mark on it. Seriously. I can't say how many times my older iPhones were dropped and landed glass side down. Never a scratch there, either.

I've only dropped my SGS once, from a seated position on the couch to the hardwood floor. No damage from that fall.

Any phone will break its glass, frame, something if it has the "right" fall. IF you're a klutz, put it in a damn case to protect it.

I judge build quality by the quality of components that are chosen, the fit and finish of the components when assembled, and the durability of the device in terms of wear and tear in every day use. The iPhone 4 is a high quality product in all of those regards.

It's amusing that you are making statements about the quality of a product you've never even seen in real life. Sounds more like the typical Android user's anti-Apple bias than a credible assessment of the product. :D I prefer Android, but I don't have to hate iPhone as part of the preference - I can appreciate the plusses and minuses of both platforms.

I believe the front panel of both iPhone 4 and SGS are made of the same gorilla glass product, so I'd expect similar durability with that, and in the end the screen and touch panel are the only important thing to me. A scratched up back isn't something I look forward to, but it's not going to devastate my world if my phone shows wear and tear on its backside.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest mickeko
Don't drop it then.

LOL.

I was in my driveway taking pictures of the sunset with both my SGS and iP4. I laid the iP4 on the hood of my friends truck and it slid right off, hit the bumper, then the asphalt. Not a mark on it. Seriously. I can't say how many times my older iPhones were dropped and landed glass side down. Never a scratch there, either.

I've only dropped my SGS once, from a seated position on the couch to the hardwood floor. No damage from that fall.

Any phone will break its glass, frame, something if it has the "right" fall. IF you're a klutz, put it in a damn case to protect it.

I judge build quality by the quality of components that are chosen, the fit and finish of the components when assembled, and the durability of the device in terms of wear and tear in every day use. The iPhone 4 is a high quality product in all of those regards.

It's amusing that you are making statements about the quality of a product you've never even seen in real life. Sounds more like the typical Android user's anti-Apple bias than a credible assessment of the product. :D I prefer Android, but I don't have to hate iPhone as part of the preference - I can appreciate the plusses and minuses of both platforms.

I believe the front panel of both iPhone 4 and SGS are made of the same gorilla glass product, so I'd expect similar durability with that, and in the end the screen and touch panel are the only important thing to me. A scratched up back isn't something I look forward to, but it's not going to devastate my world if my phone shows wear and tear on its backside.

Gorilla glass? Neither Corning (makers of Gorilla glass), Apple or Samsung has come out and said Gorilla glass is being used on any of the products. So I'm assuming it's some other kind of tempered glass being used.

If unlucky, *all* smartphones will shatter on the first drop. That means none of them have a particularily good build quality. Obviously some will have better than the other, that's a given... As far as the iphone goes, I'm not saying it's necessarily worse build quality than the SGS. It's possible that the iPhone4 has better build quality than the SGS, but I wouldn't EVER call it "superb". I reserve that for the phones that survives being run over by a truck and bashed into walls at full force without breaking. That's REAL build quality. No smartphone available today will ever come close to the superb build quality of those phones, no matter what kind of case you wrap them in.

It's not Apple hate, it's common sense.

Guest d_droid

I've had my phone since release, and it has no wear at all. I use it every day for surfing while commuting/listening to music/what have you. I don't usually put it on tables though, it rests on a cloth at work, and has a stand at home. Other than that it's in my hands or my pocket.