MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest epyupc
The menu button to unlock is not working.

+1

tried baking a few times, but themenu to unlock is not working.

I tried with the option turned on and off... just in case.

Guest BlackWhite

I am using prebaked with A2SD+.

if you could see you installed program shortcut and widget then you restart your phone you will lose them,

when you restart you phone you could get program shortcut back but the widget,

when you restart it again you will lose them.

there is a loop out there.

I don'n know why.

Any ideas?

Hmm yeah this ROM, while mostly pretty sweet, is causing me some headaches.

The two major problems being:

a - quite severe battery drain (although this seems a bit erratic) and

b - Market issues, as in updates and downloads not working well at all. Most of the time if I try to update an app it will either be unsuccessful or just hang at 100% download but not install. Reboot is the only way to get around it.

:huh:

Guest Asselberghs

I feel a bit stupid or at least curses my short term memory right now.

I can´t remember if I updated from R8 RC1 to R8 final.

Under software information my "Software number" is MoDaCo Custom ROM r8 for the HTC Desire.

My guess is this would have said RC1 if it was RC1 but I am not sure. How can I be sure? have i got the final build or still the RC1?

Guest logicalextreme
Hey man,

MoreLocale2 definitely fixed the Flixster app problem. Everything is accurate now.

But MoreLocale didn't fix the google issue yet on the stock browser, however with Dolphin HD Browser, everything is working just fine with the Google Search results.

Thanks a lot for all your help man.

I was about to mention Dolphin -- it unfortunately gives me US results when I'd prefer UK results! Them's the breaks.

Guest logicalextreme
First of all, I've got to say thanks to Paul for everything -- it was your site that got me rooted when I first got my phone, and although I was trying to stick with stock HTC ROMs I soon found out that I'd need to go with A2SD to get any sort of reasonable free disk space figure on my phone. I'd also removed Facebook, Twitter etc. from my first root but found that they came back with each update. When I saw that you could remove them in the kitchen I joined within a minute.

Anyhow. I first used r8 RC1 and have now upgraded to this r8. I've only noticed one weird thing really -- odd freezing that may or may not be related to the keyboard. I normally use Swype, and am not sure if it's related to that. When I'm typing, the keyboard will suddenly stop responding. I can switch input to other keyboards, but they don't respond either. Then the application stops responding, and I normally press the home button to get out. On the home screen I can't swipe through desktops, but can select a different desktop if I use the home key again to zoom out. This normally resolves itself within five minutes. Sometimes the icons on the homescreens don't respond either, but when they do I find that killing off applications (including Swype) does not resolve the issue.

This isn't a huge thing, and although I wiped before r8 RC1 I am fine to try another clean install -- I just wondered if anybody else was having this issue, and if they know either the cause or resolution?

If not, no worries. Great work on the ROM.

More details: HTC Desire on (and from) O2, not sure if simlocked, the only other mods I have are the EspressoMod and CircleBattery (although this issue was happening before I installed either).

For anybody who's experiencing this issue, I'm pretty sure I traced it back to Swype in the end. I left the Android keyboard on and used that for a while, and the problem stopped. Assuming it was Swype, I uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue seems to have been fixed. Surprised I didn't try it earlier as I've had Swype issues when applying ROM updates before. Hope this helps!

Guest logicalextreme
I feel a bit stupid or at least curses my short term memory right now.

I can´t remember if I updated from R8 RC1 to R8 final.

Under software information my "Software number" is MoDaCo Custom ROM r8 for the HTC Desire.

My guess is this would have said RC1 if it was RC1 but I am not sure. How can I be sure? have i got the final build or still the RC1?

I'm about 90% sure that when I had RC1 it said RC1.

Guest Asselberghs
I'm about 90% sure that when I had RC1 it said RC1.

Okay m8 thanks:) then I am counting on I´ve got the final R8 release.

It´s stable and have got no problems that is "in the way" of everyday use at least to my knowledge.

Guest logicalextreme
Okay m8 thanks:) then I am counting on I´ve got the final R8 release.

It´s stable and have got no problems that is "in the way" of everyday use at least to my knowledge.

Now that I've looked on my version screen again, it looks like "RC1" might not fit in to the text field. It may be worth seeing if there's another way of checking, but to be honest I found RC1 to be pretty much identical.

Guest vasudaprime

A few pages back some people were having crashing issues with Google Voice Actions. I managed to fix this by following the instructions on this post on XDA Developers. I'll quote it here as well:

reboot into recovery
adb shell mount /system

adb shell rm -f /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk

adb shell rm -f /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

adb shell umount /system
reboot and install Voice Search qr-code-voice-search.png.png Google Search qr-code-search-widget.png reboot into recovery
adb shell mount /system

adb shell mount /data

adb shell mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-*.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

adb shell rm -rf /data/data/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/

adb mv /data/app/com.google.android.voicesearch-*.apk /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk

adb mv /data/data/com.google.android.voicesearch/lib/libvoicesearch.so /system/lib/libvoicesearch.so 

adb shell rm -rf /data/data/com.google.android.voicesearch/

adb shell umount /system

adb shell umount /data

Now, I have an issue that may just be unique to me, so I'd like for some more people to test this. When browsing some websites (AniDB is a good example) using the phones browser, if put my finger on the screen to select something or scroll, the website changes colour. Here are some screenshots to show the issue:

snap20100827051109.th.png snap20100827051122.th.png

A few other people have reported this, but no one using this ROM (or even the Desire as far as my limited Googling can tell), so I'm not sure whether I should re-flash and see if it happens again...

Guest le_lutin
A few pages back some people were having crashing issues with Google Voice Actions. I managed to fix this by following the instructions on this post on XDA Developers. I'll quote it here as well:

Now, I have an issue that may just be unique to me, so I'd like for some more people to test this. When browsing some websites (AniDB is a good example) using the phones browser, if put my finger on the screen to select something or scroll, the website changes colour. Here are some screenshots to show the issue:

A few other people have reported this, but no one using this ROM (or even the Desire as far as my limited Googling can tell), so I'm not sure whether I should re-flash and see if it happens again...

That also happens with this site, but it's very, very subtle. I assume it is to do with how android is optimising the scrolling. As in, it uses less colours to paint the screen while scrolling. You will notice that images change slightly as well (look like lower res versions) when scrolling.

Guest road2002
@Paul: Thanks for a great ROM! I however have some questions about the cachedalvikcache I hope you can help clear up.

Earlier in the r8 WIP thread you stated that you would not odex the final ROM, because among other things:

"- With my cachedalvikcache solution (which is in all bakes) it saves no space on data."

Looking at "/data/dalvik-cache" only the "system@framework*" .dex files seem to be symlinked to "/cache/dalvik-cache". The remaining "system@app*" .dex files are not symlinked, and in my case takes up about 35Mb of space. Indeed the "/cache" partition only has 17Mb of space left, so it's not possible to move all the remaining "system@app*" files.

I tried moving as many files as I could to "/cache", which seemed to work fine, but then I realized I couldn't boot into recovery because ROM Manager uses that partition too. However the "/system" partition had 75Mb of free speace, so instead i opted to try moving the "system@app*" .dex files to "/system/dalvik-cache", and then symlink them to "/data/dalvik-cache". This seems to be working just great at the moment and freed up about 35Mb of space on my "/data" partition :huh:. Of course I don't know if there any hidden pitfalls with this solution yet(?)...

Anyway, this experiment leads me to believe that an odexed ROM actually would save about 35Mb on the "/data" partition compared with your cachedalvikcache solution (as it is implemented now). Or am I missing something here?

(The ROM I am referencing is r8 prebaked with MoDaCo default additions)

+1

Guest chipyy

Yep, happens to me as well on most web sites. It drives me nuts. Everything gets a pinkish tint.

Guest benj.vd
Hmm yeah this ROM, while mostly pretty sweet, is causing me some headaches.

The two major problems being:

a - quite severe battery drain (although this seems a bit erratic) and

b - Market issues, as in updates and downloads not working well at all. Most of the time if I try to update an app it will either be unsuccessful or just hang at 100% download but not install. Reboot is the only way to get around it.

:huh:

I'm experiencing the same issue with the market. Works really bad... Any idea?

Hi!

I'm relatively new to this to root and try some different roms, super-circular battery and more

And now I've paid for the kitchen so I can bake my own.

But as soon as I try to flash I baked them myself, I always get up this error message:

E: signature verification failed

Installation aborted

Does anyone know why this comes up?

(Sorry for my bad English)

Edited by Typ

Guest Skidder

Installation aborted

Tick the "Sign update zip" box just above the stove when you bake. Your recovery would seem to require a signed zip file.

Edited by Skidder

Guest chipyy
Hi!

I'm relatively new to this to root and try some different roms, super-circular battery and more

And now I've paid for the kitchen so I can bake my own.

But as soon as I try to flash I baked them myself, I always get up this error message:

Installation aborted

(Sorry for my bad English)

2 possible solutions:

If you're using ClockworkMod recovery, simple disable signature checking before attempting the flash.

If you're using another recovery which requires signed updates, just re-bake as signed version.

Guest Shiva Ramabadran

Great work. Thanks!

Could you please consider adding options for circular battery mod (or any efficient battery mod with %age) and color icon sets in r9 ?

EspressoMod from BrightSilence used to work in WIP copies, but on the final, it disables data for some reason. Not sure why. The semi-transparent notification area is a nice addition from this package, imho.

I also find my batter consumption is much higher on the final ROMs than the WIP ones I baked (I tried to keep to the same options as much as possible.)

Thanks again!

Tick the "Sign update zip" box just above the stove when you bake. Your recovery would seem to require a signed zip file.

Tanx it worked ;-)

2 possible solutions:

If you're using ClockworkMod recovery, simple disable signature checking before attempting the flash.

If you're using another recovery which requires signed updates, just re-bake as signed version.

Tanx it worked ;-)

Guest ianm2k4
For market issues with downloads log out and back into to talk. This wakes up stuck downloads. Works for me.

I just click on the download that's 'stuck' and it offers to install again. Never seems to fail from there.. Not had to logout and in again ... yet

Guest moin339

I just flashed the r8 (after full wipe) but still have date-formating error's like in all froyo releases...

In several apps the date is displayed wrong (no problem under 2.1). The issue occurs when I select German in the settings. With English, the date is displayed correct...

@Paul: can you please fix it :huh:

I added some screenshots of this issue:

post-712205-1282930323_thumb.png

post-712205-1282930340_thumb.png

Edited by moin339

Guest MatLomax
+1

tried baking a few times, but themenu to unlock is not working.

I tried with the option turned on and off... just in case.

Same here, please fix this!