MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest noon dawg
This mean we should re-flash the rom?

Have the pre-baked roms been fixed, as I re-flashed this but still have the same problem that I can't update from market. Maps still v4.4.0

Edited by noon dawg

um.. how do i get the htc keyboard with the button for voice input?

- i don't want all of the other stuff in the mod'ed one(v27 by jonasl) that is also provided as an option in this rom

otherwise great work

Kris

Edited by i00

Guys why my pinch to zoom function sometimes died after awhile. I need to restart my phone again to get it working back. then after a few pinch to zoom use, it'll be dead again. or is there any settings for that?

any help on this?

Guest pauli900

Thanks for another great ROM. Had a few problems until I did a wipe before installing then just reinstalled my apps and not any system data, but all running smoothly now.

Guest Johnny Doe

After installing this ROM, I can't perform a market update of the Google Maps app. And I also can't uninstall the Google Maps app. It's the same with Wavesecure. How can I solve this? Thanks!

Guest lnoormohamed
After installing this ROM, I can't perform a market update of the Google Maps app. And I also can't uninstall the Google Maps app. It's the same with Wavesecure. How can I solve this? Thanks!

paul has updated the google maps application in the kitchen so all you have to do is rebake and flash

Edited by lnoormohamed

Hello, I flashed the r8 ROM, but soon after I install some apps, there is no more memory on the phone for new apps. What's the best way to fix this?

I couldn't even install as many as before when using my completely bloated orange rom...

I've tried with app2sd but then there are speed issues like when recording video etc

what's the best way to go? is there a way to bake a rom with more free memory? is there some way to have app2sd go faster?

thanks

Guest neuerkunde

Hi,

great work - thx.

I'm just a bit confused concerning the different keyboards / Input methods:

So my questions:

If I install all 3 options from the kitchen

- HTC IME

- HTC IME (modified) (modified v27 by jonasl)

- Stock Android Keyboard

how do I change between them? There is no way to change them in the settings menu as it seems...

Does the HTC IME (modified) require the stock HTC IME? - better said:

Can I install one of the 3 above without running into probems?

I wanna keep it as clean as possible - with a decent amount of typing comfort.

Thx in advance

SOLVED:

Tap and hold on the textbox on the screen where the text should be entered or appear. Not on the keyboard !

Edited by neuerkunde

Guest deano1863

Hi all,

First time rooter so be gentle :P

Ive just cooked a rom that includes the 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2 radio image

I am currently running a stock firmware Desire on Orange, ive read about flashing the wrong radio on orange can brick my phone.

Is this radio unsuitable for my phone? I dont want to flash it and have an expensive paper weight

My phone is Network unlocked (using htccodes)

Thanks

Guest lnoormohamed
Hello, I flashed the r8 ROM, but soon after I install some apps, there is no more memory on the phone for new apps. What's the best way to fix this?

I couldn't even install as many as before when using my completely bloated orange rom...

I've tried with app2sd but then there are speed issues like when recording video etc

what's the best way to go? is there a way to bake a rom with more free memory? is there some way to have app2sd go faster?

thanks

What class memory card are you using?

Guest lnoormohamed

all you have to do is launch an app where you type stuff tap and hold, you should get a popup, then click on input and then slect the keyboard you wish to use. Sorry for my spelling and punctuation I'm using my iPod touch lol hope this helps

Edited by lnoormohamed

Guest wcymodaco

Paul,

I just rebaked an R8 ROM to update Google Maps since I could not get it to install from market. Google Maps runs ok on the newly installed ROM.

Now that I have the latest Google Maps 4.5.0 from your custom ROM, I am still having a problem downloading Street View for Google Maps. It downloads ok but then says install unsuccessful in the notification bar.

When I search for Google Maps on market, there is a button asking me to install, which implies that Google Maps is not recognised as being already installed in my phone. When I click to install Google Maps, just like Street View, it says downloaded but the installation unsuccessful. No other error messages.

I need to get this resolved in order to update Google Maps and related apps properly. Would it work if I rebaked another ROM without Google Maps and then install Google Maps from market. Or is it likely going to tell me install unsuccessful again?

& I hope I do not have to wipe my entire phone just to get Google Maps properly updated because of some error in your custom ROM before this. This Google Maps problem is starting to get annoying.

I have read the Google Maps problem threads on this forum and I am still confused as to what it is I am supposed to be doing to get it to update correctly. Please clear up this confusion for me. Thank you.

Guest neuerkunde
Hi,

great work - thx.

I'm just a bit confused concerning the different keyboards / Input methods:

So my questions:

If I install all 3 options from the kitchen

- HTC IME

- HTC IME (modified) (modified v27 by jonasl)

- Stock Android Keyboard

how do I change between them? There is no way to change them in the settings menu as it seems...

Does the HTC IME (modified) require the stock HTC IME? - better said:

Can I install one of the 3 above without running into probems?

I wanna keep it as clean as possible - with a decent amount of typing comfort.

Thx in advance

all you have to do is launch an app where you type stuff tap and hold, you should get a popup, then click on input and then slect the keyboard you wish to use. Sorry for my spelling and punctuation I'm using my iPod touch lol hope this helps

I tried to hold on almost every key. There is no selection screen to choose another input method / keyboard.

Guest Shiva Ramabadran
I tried to hold on almost every key. There is no selection screen to choose another input method / keyboard.

Tap and hold on the textbox on the screen where the text should be entered or appear. Not on the keyboard. Select "input method" from the popup and choose the keyboard layout.

Guest dtomkins
if you have rooted the phone and managed to get a ROM on, you've done all you need to do.

If you want to apply a new rom, i suggest (and recommend) you use ROM Manager from the market. This app will allow you to do EVERYTHING you need to from the phone itself, without having to mess with recovery menus. Using this app, you'd do the following:

1. bake a rom in the kitchen to your taste

2. download rom, put on sd card

3. start rom manager, select Install rom from sd, select your fresh baked rom (optionally backup current rom/wipe)

4. watch as the phone reboots into recovery, applies the rom and starts up again

if you also use titanium backup, you can save all your application/system applications/settings and restore them back to the newly applied rom.

ROM manager also has nice features to help you partition your card for apps2sd, restore backups etc.

First try at all of this - baked a ROM, followed the above instructions. Got a picture of a fella in a tracksuit waving his phone at me - how long should I expect to wait for this to disappear before it looks like my install hasn't worked?

(its been 20 mins so far....)

Edited by dtomkins

Guest dtomkins
First try at all of this - baked a ROM, followed the above instructions. Got a picture of a fella in a tracksuit waving his phone at me - how long should I expect to wait for this to disappear before it looks like my install hasn't worked?

(its been 20 mins so far....)

OK - battery out, retried from ClockworkMod bootloader menu and this time it seemed to work - kind of - Screen greyed out with "Loading, it may take several minutes to complete" (after 30 seconds I got a message saying "Sorry! The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly" and offers me one option "Force Close" which I select. 20 mins later, the only sign of life is a "Low on Space" notification saying that the Phone Storage is getting low. Could these two be linked. I have been uninstalling apps that I now I installed, but to be honest most of them are on SD card anyway.

:P

Edited by dtomkins

This morning out of the blue I lost a load of images and videos for no reason.

They just seem to vanish from my SD card as though they were all deleted / never existed.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened?

Ta.

Guest zombiefly
This morning out of the blue I lost a load of images and videos for no reason.

They just seem to vanish from my SD card as though they were all deleted / never existed.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened?

Ta.

are you using apps2sd and if so, do you mount the usb and connect to a pc?

Guest zombiefly
Yeah I do.

do you get a message in windows saying that the sd card needs to be "fixed"?

There is currently an issue with the legacy apps2sd (i.e. not built into froyo) which is causing data loss on the cards. It appears to relate to the remount of the card by the script on the phone.

I believe it went something like this:

1. start up phone

2. take a picture, verify its there on the phone via gallery app

3. connect phone to pc, browse sd, pics should be there

4. disconnect phone from pc via pulldown menu on phone

5. take picture, verify its there on the phone via gallery app

6. connect pc again, browse sd, pics taken in 2nd section will not be there

7. disconnect from pc, browse via gallery, pics missing

There's a thread on here (i think) definately on xda developers about the issue, although the last time I read it there was still no fix, just a workaround (don't use legacy apps2sd , use the froyo version and modify the install location)

I've had the sd corruption issue when connecting to pc. you'll end up with a lost.dir folder on the card. I'm using an app called multi-mount sd card which allows the device to share between itself and usb without unmounting.... Some people seemed to think this was a very bad thing to do, so far i've not had any issues or problems.....

I cant get to the actual thread now (at work) but googling apps2sd corruption should do the trick?

Edited by zombiefly

do you get a message in windows saying that the sd card needs to be "fixed"?

There is currently an issue with the legacy apps2sd (i.e. not built into froyo) which is causing data loss on the cards. It appears to relate to the remount of the card by the script on the phone.

I believe it went something like this:

1. start up phone

2. take a picture, verify its there on the phone via gallery app

3. connect phone to pc, browse sd, pics should be there

4. disconnect phone from pc via pulldown menu on phone

5. take picture, verify its there on the phone via gallery app

6. connect pc again, browse sd, pics taken in 2nd section will not be there

7. disconnect from pc, browse via gallery, pics missing

There's a thread on here (i think) definately on xda developers about the issue, although the last time I read it there was still no fix, just a workaround (don't use legacy apps2sd , use the froyo version and modify the install location)

I've had the sd corruption issue when connecting to pc. you'll end up with a lost.dir folder on the card. I'm using an app called multi-mount sd card which allows the device to share between itself and usb without unmounting.... Some people seemed to think this was a very bad thing to do, so far i've not had any issues or problems.....

I cant get to the actual thread now (at work) but googling apps2sd corruption should do the trick?

Thanks for that.

Someone has mentioned elsewhere not to use AP2SD+ either so not sure if people really are getting to the bottom of the issue elsewhere either.

I will try above and see how it goes.

I think the problem happened this morning when connecting phone to pc and nothing happened. So I rebooted phone and it then came up with the options to connect.

After that loads of pics and vids etc were totally gone and SD card availability size increased suggesting it had all been wiped :-(

Guest dtomkins
OK - battery out, retried from ClockworkMod bootloader menu and this time it seemed to work - kind of - Screen greyed out with "Loading, it may take several minutes to complete" (after 30 seconds I got a message saying "Sorry! The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly" and offers me one option "Force Close" which I select. 20 mins later, the only sign of life is a "Low on Space" notification saying that the Phone Storage is getting low. Could these two be linked. I have been uninstalling apps that I now I installed, but to be honest most of them are on SD card anyway.

:P

Story moves on - I finally seemed to have installed the ROM, but it seems to be tripping over the old one - I'm getting lots of strange behaviour including it booting up what appears to be a completely different (old) image the second time I restart it.

Outcome is I'd like to wipe down COMPLETELY and install the new ROM again to avoid this happening again. Can someone please help a confused newbie on how to do this?

Hi Paul

Just Paid the 9.9GBP . Its worth it

Still waiting for SA MTN/HTC froyo update.

simple question:

Awaiting my cooked rom download. Can I flash directly onto unrooted 2.1 or do I root first with your r6 post?

thanks

KI

Guest neuerkunde
Tap and hold on the textbox on the screen where the text should be entered or appear. Not on the keyboard. Select "input method" from the popup and choose the keyboard layout.

Thx that was my mistake. I can switch now.

Tap and hold on the textbox on the screen where the text should be entered or appear. Not on the keyboard !