MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest wcymodaco

I baked and installed my first Modaco custom rom yesterday based on R8 RC1. In selecting the applications to be included in the ROM, I remember clearly that I opted to include Titanium backup, ROM manager, Ad Free etc. The ROM got installed without any errors.

But, for some reason, I just realised that these applications could not be found in the apps drawer. Did a search in "manage applications" under settings but could not find them anywhere.

Why are these apps missing from the custom ROM I installed? Anyone can give me a hand here?

Thanks.

Guest BlackWhite

I found some weird behavior of the prebake with additional and A2SD+.

call mom will cause sense restart immediately.

I can not install Mod Install Location to setup the native APP2SD of Froyo.

I also failed to setup that with adb shell pm setInstallLocation 1.

I can not install Google Sky Maps, it said installation failed.

I found that if some sofeware want to go to SD FAT32 partition it will cause the installation to fail.

what's wrong with it?

Edited by BlackWhite

Guest logicalextreme

First of all, I've got to say thanks to Paul for everything -- it was your site that got me rooted when I first got my phone, and although I was trying to stick with stock HTC ROMs I soon found out that I'd need to go with A2SD to get any sort of reasonable free disk space figure on my phone. I'd also removed Facebook, Twitter etc. from my first root but found that they came back with each update. When I saw that you could remove them in the kitchen I joined within a minute.

Anyhow. I first used r8 RC1 and have now upgraded to this r8. I've only noticed one weird thing really -- odd freezing that may or may not be related to the keyboard. I normally use Swype, and am not sure if it's related to that. When I'm typing, the keyboard will suddenly stop responding. I can switch input to other keyboards, but they don't respond either. Then the application stops responding, and I normally press the home button to get out. On the home screen I can't swipe through desktops, but can select a different desktop if I use the home key again to zoom out. This normally resolves itself within five minutes. Sometimes the icons on the homescreens don't respond either, but when they do I find that killing off applications (including Swype) does not resolve the issue.

This isn't a huge thing, and although I wiped before r8 RC1 I am fine to try another clean install -- I just wondered if anybody else was having this issue, and if they know either the cause or resolution?

If not, no worries. Great work on the ROM.

More details: HTC Desire on (and from) O2, not sure if simlocked, the only other mods I have are the EspressoMod and CircleBattery (although this issue was happening before I installed either).

********************************************************************************

EDIT:

For anybody who's experiencing this issue, I'm pretty sure I traced it back to Swype in the end. I left the Android keyboard on and used that for a while, and the problem stopped. Assuming it was Swype, I uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue seems to have been fixed. I've had issues with Swype after ROM updates (full and partial) before so treat reinstallation as your first stop. You can leave the Swype installer on your phone and just use it to redownload.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest le_lutin
It appears the "embarrassed" emoticon issue has been fixed everywhere else except when inserting smileys in the Google Talk app :huh: Every other app seems to have normal, unsquished "embarrassed" smileys ;)

Not this again!

Guest Kiran J. Holla
no problem...look on my link (mod´s and apk´s) from my rom use : Battery Mod: A mix between Smooth Sense Icons and Circle mod (thanks hfpop)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...amp;postcount=3

or this from the thread: from site 6

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=61400

with kind regards..Alex

Hmm. I checked this; it has the Version A of the Super Circle battery. Do you have one with Version C?

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran

I baked and installed my first Modaco custom rom yesterday based on R8 RC1. In selecting the applications to be included in the ROM, I remember clearly that I opted to include Titanium backup, ROM manager, Ad Free etc. The ROM got installed without any errors.

But, for some reason, I just realised that these applications could not be found in the apps drawer. Did a search in "manage applications" under settings but could not find them anywhere.

Why are these apps missing from the custom ROM I installed? Anyone can give me a hand here?

Thanks.

Wipe BEFORE install not after!

P

Guest woti17
Ultra Keyboard gives you arrow keys? :huh:

P

workaround Arrow Keys and Custom Profile in Better Terminal:

in preferences / initial command (preferences from better terminal) enter

/system/bin/bash --rcfile /sdcard/bash_profile;
note: if you apply the command su in this bash shell, you go back to sh shell and its own profile (wherever this is written) or
/system/xbin/bb/su -c '/system/bin/bash --rcfile /sdcard/bash_profile';
if you want to start as superuser in bash_profile on writeable sdcard you can provide your custom setting like
PATH=/sbin:/system/xbin/bb:/system/xbin:/system/bin

if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]]; then

PS1='\[33[01;31m\]root@\[33[01;32m\]\h\[33[01;32m\]:/\W\$\[33[00m\] >'

else

PS1='\[33[01;31m\]not-root@\[33[01;32m\]\h\[33[01;32m\]:/\w\$\[33[00m\] >'

fi

alias ll='ls -lhA --color=auto'

alias la='ls -lahA --color=auto'

Edited by woti17

Guest zoidy84

wow great looking ROM, really want to give this a shot.

One question though, i am an Orange UK user and have not unlocked my sim so am currently running r5 ROM with the 5.09.00.08 radio as that does not simlock my phone.

So can i use r8 with this radio or does anyone know a newer radio that doesn't simlock Orange UK phones?

Guest djkaija

Baked, and installed last night! Works a treat. The whole rooting, flashing was actually easier than I thought it would be.

Does anyone know how to disable Vibrate On Shut down?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Chronic404
wow great looking ROM, really want to give this a shot.

One question though, i am an Orange UK user and have not unlocked my sim so am currently running r5 ROM with the 5.09.00.08 radio as that does not simlock my phone.

So can i use r8 with this radio or does anyone know a newer radio that doesn't simlock Orange UK phones?

I'd like to know this too, i am also on R5, how do i find out which radio i am using?

Guest Fred de Goede

Hi,

I was a happy user of the MODACO HTC Desire ROM's version 3.1 and 5. This morning I downloaded r8 and followed the proven procedure and installed r8 with clockworkmod.

During the installation process I saw a picture I did not see before (an Android coming out of a box) and now my phone seems to be stuck. When I boot the phone the normal quietly brillant message does not come up but an android logo appears?

Please help with some advise wahat to do !

Fred

Guest woti17
During the installation process I saw a picture I did not see before (an Android coming out of a box) and now my phone seems to be stuck. When I boot the phone the normal quietly brillant message does not come up but an android logo appears?

did you wait about 10 minutes for first boot?

Hi,

I was a happy user of the MODACO HTC Desire ROM's version 3.1 and 5. This morning I downloaded r8 and followed the proven procedure and installed r8 with clockworkmod.

Fred

the android out of a box means the radio is being installed. the first boot usually takes much longer so just be patient

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi,

Fred

I have always seen the Android coming out of the Box whenever I flashed using Clockwork Recovery. I assumed it has been a part of the flashing process from the start; perhaps not.

In any case, with R8, the phone does get stuck for quite some time at the "Android coming out of the box" stage. You will need to be patient and wait. Also, after flashing the R8, the first boot takes a very very long time. Again, waiting is the answer.

Why don't you try again?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest zoidy84
I'd like to know this too, i am also on R5, how do i find out which radio i am using?

settings->about phone->software information and its called baseband version!

Guest Abnormal1

I selected the options in the kitchen for both android and HTC contacts however I dont seem to have the Android contacts app anywhere on the phone.

I checked the rom in 7zip and there was definatly a contacts.apk so i assume it should be there.

I installed this over the top of a previous version of r8 which did not have android contacts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Abnormal1

Baked, and installed last night! Works a treat. The whole rooting, flashing was actually easier than I thought it would be.

Does anyone know how to disable Vibrate On Shut down?

Thanks in advance.

Select that option from the kitchen.

P

Guest logicalextreme
Select that option from the kitchen.

P

Actually, when I flashed RC1 I had that option selected and it continued to vibrate on shutdown. With this version it does not vibrate. Weird!

Guest David_P

If anyone wants SuperCircle battery D + coloured icons for this rom, feel free to use mine :-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/415026198/fram...08-19-12_02.zip

MD5: 5DAD2EDC0C955B2A77714D294F793843

I don't have an account so this is only available to the first 10 downloaders. If someone wants to re-share, feel free.

David_P

Edited by David_P

Guest Noonski

Haven't had on weird reboot as of yet, i don't think anything mayor was changed from RC to Final R8.

(been doing a lot with my device this morning)

So there's a chance specific setups might be the cause for those users experiencing it.

Make a list of your ROM/Bake Options and what extra addons you have installed yourself if you get strange reboots.

And try to Whipe and Reflash. I don't think the ROM is at fault as it's running as good as the previous ones.

Guest zombiefly

ok I have an odd one. You may recall I posted earlier about swapping my microsd for a 16gb version, which i couldn't work out how to partition, well i've now done that and upgraded to r8, put all my backups back and the phone is now back to normal.... however... :huh:

none of the ringtones/notifications on my sd are showing up in the default notification/tone lists. This was working before r8. Also, if i install one of the rcp ringtone packs, this completes, yet none of the sounds are showing in any of the default picker lists.....

I'm using apps2sd+, as I was before, so I'm confused as to why this isnt working now.... Does anyone know the default location for ringtones/notifications on the sd? maybe i have them in the wrong place

Edited by zombiefly

Guest logicalextreme

Anybody getting a forced close on Google Goggles with this ROM? I am and it makes me sad.

EDIT: Found that this affects a huge number of people and may have been with me since I upgraded to stock Froyo in the first place. Resolved by using the apk from http://www.gadgetsdna.com/download-install...id-devices/583/ which is version 1.0 instead of 1.1 but works fine. Others have had success reinstalling, rebooting, turning history off and (bizarrely) disabling Wifi. Hope this helps anybody else having the issue.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest Kiran J. Holla
If anyone wants SuperCircle battery D + coloured icons for this rom, feel free to use mine :-)

David_P

Please share the link.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Koh KW

Hi Paul,

By any chance this Sense based Froyo ROM would be getting the Power Control Widget like what's in CM6? It supports:

1) Brightness

2) Wifi

3) AP

4) Bluetooth

5) Mobile Data

6) Data Sync

7) Orientation

8) Silent/Vibrate/Ring

9) GPS

10) 2G/3G

11) etc ...

This is one of the main reason I remain on CM6 ;-)