How do I make video calls?

Guest vinokirk

Guest vinokirk
I'm just confused why this is an issue?

What is so confusing about this for you?

I asked a question, like everyone does on forums, and most people try to give helpful answers. If you don't have anything usefull to add to the thread then why dont you go and troll elsewhere?

Just because a technology isnt in use in your particular country it doesn't mean it isn't available in the rest of the world.

If the concept of a forum confuses you and all you can do is troll at something you don't understand then i suggest you dont use them anymore.

Paul, please close this thread as this guy has just turned it into a flame-fest.

• 2 months later...
Guest francomur99
You're excused

If you're freind's had Android phones with front facing cameras, they could video call with you

(well, IP call, using a program like Fring)

If by 'native' you mean iphone4-iphone4 over wifi... then sure... they can do that.

But that's not a limitation of your phone, it's a limitation of theirs.

again, If by 'native' you mean iphone4-iphone4 over wifi... buy an iphone.

If you mean old school "video call" like European carriers have supported for years... Why would you want it to?

I think i just did.

"Video calling" as has existed for years is a dying breed...

Why would I want to be able to "natively' video call my friends phone, using minutes and getting charged by my carrier, when I can install an app and use my unlimited data plan to video call anyone's phone who has a compatible app... OR better yet, anyone's PC who has skype?

what you are asking Android to be capable of is really quite limited and I'm glad it isn't.

The problem is that here in U.K we haven't got any Android with Front facing camera...a part the ugly Dell with all the limitations.... While is USA...they have now at list 5 or 6 Android devices with front facin camera....and nobody knows why??????? and nobody tell you the reason!!!! cristal clear now!!

On the other hand if you are talking about the iPhone 4... well... that's just sad.

Guest francomur99

The problem is that here in U.K we haven't got any Android with Front facing camera...a part the ugly Dell with all the limitations.... While is USA...they have now at list 5 or 6 Android devices with front facin camera....and nobody knows why??????? and nobody tell you the reason!!!! cristal clear now!!

Frank

[email protected]

• 1 month later...
Just like a computer web cam you still need software to make the call - wether it's skype, fring, qik, etc. What phones can natively video call each other without software? The ipone 4 can but, only to other iphones. If your streak has fring, and your friend has fring, you can video call.

I pretty understand what does it mean by native video call. Maybe in certain countries the technology differs. We have been enjoying the video call since the 3G phone been introduced few years back and the video call will charged appear in the bill as video call. The caller and recipient doesnt have to have internet data subscription, it is just like a normal voice call but certain Telcos may charge it same or differently. Symbian & Windows Mobile devices can do this. I admit this cannot be done on iPhone and Android unless caller's and receiver's phones are installed with 3rd party softwares like Tango, Fring or Yahoo Messenger.

At first I expect Android can support this type of call but it cant without internet connection. Like us, it is quite frustrating because not all our parents, family and friends subscribe internet on their mobile. To resolve this, I bought another Symbian phone and route the 3G call to the phone. I use Android to make video call to more savvy people who own Android or iPhone with 3rd party application because it is free of charge.

Guest mrmrmrmr

don't worry. we have 2 possibilities:

1. Gingerbread supports 3g video calls; hopefully if we can get Gingerbread for Dell Streak, we'll have that feature.

2. Samsung Galaxy S supports 3g video calls even on Eclair (2.1) ; if we could install Samsung Galaxy S dialer on Streak we might have that as well.

Guest Stephen Hyde

just incase you didnt know even nokia phones with video call feature use ip network to do it - its how video calling is done, (i tried it on an old 3 phone and it pulls up the data network before placing the call