The Official 2.1 Update (Build 8023)

Guest Greenarcher

Guest miker71
This build is step back IMO. 6941 is the most stable and responsive rom i've tried so far and that's why i've rolled back (after a bit of work). I hope to god this isn't the official release because it runs like a bag of spanners. I have a feeling that they ditched development on 2.1 to get 2.2 finished earlier, so hopefully we won't have long to wait for frozen dessert goodness.

I haven't used this new build day-to-day yet, but it seems ok so far (I'm in the UK using an originally "00" unlocked device direct from Dell).

I did have problems with the old build, specifically with Bluetooth pairing and then a Bluetooth subservice consuming battery even when Bluetooth was not enabled. Hopefully that is fixed in this latest build.

fwiw, I still had to sign into google over a non-wifi connection for it to work which I found a bit odd. Also, google sync still fails to sync with my Picasa web albums (though, I think this is a more general 2.1 bug that is definitely fixed in Froyo).

Let's see what tomorrow brings ...

Guest BigHeadDog
Right I just tried to flash the update on my UK (02 sourced) Streak.

Renamed it to Update.pkg, put it in the root of the SD card, did the biz with the volume controls etc.

Part way in the process stopped with an Error, something about a problem with Update.pgk.dec ? and Status(0). In my panic I didn't take exact notes (stupid I know).

Anyway, I had to remove the battery to get it going again. Expecting a brick, it did actually re-boot.

The about screen now shows:

Everything seems ok but shouldn't the Build Number be 8023? Oh and should System Update still be pointing at update.zingstaging.com?

my screen shows 8023...

Guest jamezwarner

Good build all in all, no flashing lights, or crashing problems. Game performance is MUCH improved from 1.6/early 2.1 builds

two niggles, the lock pattern isn't always too responsive, and the facebook contact sync issue is back again!

James

Edited by jamezwarner

Guest jamezwarner

Anyone else seeing a massive leap in battery life? at 97% having been off the charger for 4 hours (light email/app install usage)

James

Guest vagelis
Right I just tried to flash the update on my UK (02 sourced) Streak.

Renamed it to Update.pkg, put it in the root of the SD card, did the biz with the volume controls etc.

Part way in the process stopped with an Error, something about a problem with Update.pgk.dec ? and Status(0). In my panic I didn't take exact notes (stupid I know).

Anyway, I had to remove the battery to get it going again. Expecting a brick, it did actually re-boot.

The about screen now shows:

Everything seems ok but shouldn't the Build Number be 8023? Oh and should System Update still be pointing at update.zingstaging.com?

I had the same issue initially, and I realized that if you use an 'US edited' build.prop from earlier builds, that will modify the 'About....' string with the older build number, and confuse the heck out of us.

If you have loaded the newer build, the dialer app has a clever little 'waveform plot' like screen in blue when you connect that turns to red when you disconnect; a nice aesthetic touch IMHO :huh:

If you edit your build.prop you can restore the correct build info there ;)

Edited by vagelis

Guest miker71

Weird thing this morning - the Streak make the default notification sound and reset in my pocket then got stuck on the Dell logo. It's been fine since I removed the battery and restarted it ... never had that happen on the previous 2.1 build (though I have had it reset in my pocket a couple of times). I'm not rooted (and don't see a need to root - yet).

Guest Chris J
I had the same issue initially, and I realized that if you use an 'US edited' build.prop from earlier builds, that will modify the 'About....' string with the older build number, and confuse the heck out of us.

If you have loaded the newer build, the dialer app has a clever little 'waveform plot' like screen in blue when you connect that turns to red when you disconnect; a nice aesthetic touch IMHO ;)

If you edit your build.prop you can restore the correct build info there :(

Thanks for the info but I don't think that was my problem. I think the update just crapped out part way through the flash due to me having the first leaked 2.1 on.

Once I took it back to 1.6, retrying the 2.1 8032 Update.pkg worked a treat. Correct build number, protected apps appearing in the Market, System Update pointing to mobileupdate.dell.com and massive widgets :huh: .

Contacts sync with Facebook still doesn't work, nor does the Dell PC sync application see the streak.

I guess tomorrow we'll know if this is the official update that will be released OTA.

Guest griff_dai
Sorted it, flashed recovery and went back to 1.6 4399. Update then was smooth as silk.

where did you get the 1.6 O2 rom from (I don't have mine rooted)

Cheers

Guest Chris J
where did you get the 1.6 O2 rom from (I don't have mine rooted)

Cheers

I'm not rooted either. I used these instructions (more or less), step 3 contains the link to the O2 4399 on the Dell servers. Get it while it's hot, it may well be replaced with the official 2.1 tomorrow.

If you follow these steps, and you are using windows, then you will also need the windows fastboot.exe from the Android SDK. Also, you'll probably need to read this thread to overcome the bootloader driver issue under Windows.

Edited by Chris J

Guest griff_dai
I'm not rooted either. I used these instructions (more or less), step 3 contains the link to the O2 4399 on the Dell servers. Get it while its hot, it may well be replaced with the official 2.1 tomorrow.

following if this works I will gladly hail you a champion of the Dell Streak community :-) :huh:

Guest Asphytxtc
only used 15% of the battery in 7 hours, light mail/web/app usage - MUCH better!

Absolute opposite for me, 80% battery usage for three hours of light usage :-/

Guest m4tt24
Absolute opposite for me, 80% battery usage for three hours of light usage :-/

I had this problem when I updated to 7546 and rooted using androot it was either the rooting, astro or rom manager that was eating my battery, I got rid of the 3 at once and now I only charge once a day, one of the above was definitely the culprit though and caused a few problems like going into permanant sleep etc, since taking those off no problems at all with the streak. (bit of a repeat post from another thread but just incase you haven't seen it)

Guest jamezwarner
I had this problem when I updated to 7546 and rooted using androot it was either the rooting, astro or rom manager that was eating my battery, I got rid of the 3 at once and now I only charge once a day, one of the above was definitely the culprit though and caused a few problems like going into permanant sleep etc, since taking those off no problems at all with the streak. (bit of a repeat post from another thread but just incase you haven't seen it)

I agree that some rooting methods cause havoc! Stock everything is the way to go, rooting doesn't really give you enough to warrant the associated problems..

Just got in, and now 14 hours since charge - some more games/web browsing/msn this evening- 48% remaining!

James

Edited by jamezwarner

Guest RichB93
Go to your phone dialler type *#*#307#*#*

It will go black screen with emlist on top. press home button if it doesn't clear.

Press launcher select emlist.

Scroll down to NV, choose ota server

To get rid of the engineering mode, go back to dialer. And type *#*#308#*#*

Many thanks

I agree that some rooting methods cause havoc! Stock everything is the way to go, rooting doesn't really give you enough to warrant the associated problems..

Just got in, and now 14 hours since charge - some more games/web browsing/msn this evening- 48% remaining!

James

Good for you - I've seen the opposite. the stupid WiFi scanning bug is still there, so I left for yoga at 9am when I pulled it out of the charger, and didn't look at it until 12:30 and it was at 40% :huh: turned off wifi, and it died before 3pm. WTF... Since I was still messing with it from the restore, I think I had both Touchdown and built-in exchange on push, so I removed the built-in, put Touchdown to 15min, and I'll give it another go tomorrow. I was pretty furious to have my phone dead for 4 hours until I got home.

If this build was done on the 27th, and it's supposed to be released on the 1st, it's the "RTM" build quite sure. I've been in release management in a software company before, and even at that startup we had a week or so for various crap to do from the time the build finished. There's a cold chance in hell that they did one between the 27th and now, which is almost the 1st UK time. This is assuming the release of the 1st, which we better hope not, cause it's still buggy ;)

Guest Asphytxtc

Yeah, I had a similar problem with 7546 which turned out to be com.android.bluetooth pegging the cpu up top. Some investigation with os monitor this morning shows me the exact same problem (i think someone else in this thread has this too). I've disabled it with a startup manager for now and killed off the errant process, hopefully that'll improve battery somewhat. It certainly seems more "responsive" now, I guess time will tell :huh:

Only other issue I've really noticed was the unlock screen going completely unresponsive to screen touch, had to remove the battery in this instance but its not happened again.

*edit* Four hours since unplugging and I'm still up at 80% with light usage, goodstuffs ^.^

Edited by Asphytxtc

Guest RichB93

Quite tempted to download this but the official OTA update *should* be released soon so I'll stick with build 6941 for the time being as I've not had any issues.

EDIT: Just seen quite a few people are talking about various different builds. How many other builds were leaked then? I thought it was only 6941 as they took down their staging site.

Edited by RichB93

Guest jannism
EDIT: Just seen quite a few people are talking about various different builds. How many other builds were leaked then? I thought it was only 6941 as they took down their staging site.
I am currently in the not-so-fresh hell of build 7546 without the salvation of recovery mode - and believe me when I say I've flashed every conceivable flavour of recovery without success - ota can't some soon enough for me.

My advice would be that if you're stable, wait for the official release.