Custom U8100 ROM RLS6 [2010-09-29]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Lutin malin
Great... I have an idea on how to proceed from here.

Cool!

On my side, I tried to perform some minor tweakings...with partial success.

Before, the wifi would not enable at all, and now I can enable it for some seconds (even though it is unable to search for networks)

As far as wpa_supplicant goes, I tried to see if I could install it..but the usual ./configure ./make don't seem to work, so I'm stuck.

Cheers,

Guest kallt_kaffe
Cool!

On my side, I tried to perform some minor tweakings...with partial success.

Before, the wifi would not enable at all, and now I can enable it for some seconds (even though it is unable to search for networks)

As far as wpa_supplicant goes, I tried to see if I could install it..but the usual ./configure ./make don't seem to work, so I'm stuck.

Cheers,

In fact if you just rename /system/cust/expert/se to /system/cust/orange/fr it may work, but I'm building a new release where I've removed the /system/cust depenency completely. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guest Lutin malin
In fact if you just rename /system/cust/expert/se to /system/cust/orange/fr it may work, but I'm building a new release where I've removed the /system/cust depenency completely. I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried renaming thru a file manager on the phone but I don't see any difference.

The message that repeats the most is: "the value returned from dun_getusbmodemstate_fromsys is 2"

And it's still talking about a missing "data/misc/wpa_supplicant/eth0"

and "failed to initialize control interface '/var/run/wpa_supplicant"

Guest kallt_kaffe

Almost done now... Going to test some last minute changes. One surprise was that when I built my way around the cust thingy I suddenly have a full range of languages to select from. Not just English, German, French, Spanish and Swedish as I had before. Now there are all kinds of languages available so it seems the Android build is compiled with a full range of languages but something filtered out most of them.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe
rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0 is there too, idk how i missed it in last post :)

ok so, updata flahsed. U8110 V100R001C85B215SP06. all is ok again network is there, keeping it on card for emergency :lol:

then flashed ur rls4, all back to old situation (everything works but network). reflashed my own rom (restored nandroid to assure network working) same crap. no network.

tryed ur boot.img with my rom, same. tryed r3b from gforums, same. i guess there is something else here but im not that skilled troubeshooter for androids to figure it out.

strange is, my very first gmod_0.1 works. even more strange is .. its givi italy rom (extracted system.img deodexed superuser) and its fine.

Now I've actually compared the Telenor U8110 ROM and the Expert U8100 ROM (both swedish ROMs) and boot.img is as far as I can see identical. The kernels are not binary identical but the sizes match so I believe they are compiled with the same settings but just compiled at different occasions. /system/framework and /system/app differs but that is likely due to different theme:ing. What is more interesting is that all the libs are binary identical. A handful of binaries in /system/bin differs but I don't believe it matters.

What I believe matters are diifferences in build.prop and in the /system/cust folder. There is something in the UPDATA.APP that results in /data/custom.bin. And the information in custom.bin must match folders in /system/cust. My custom.bin contains expert/se and my ROM has files in /system/cust/expert/se/. This is the number one reason why Wifi usually stops working when a custom ROM based on a phone from one operator is flashed to a phone from another operator. There may be things in local.prop that is responsible for the network problems you get, but I found in my build.prop that is more likely the cause.

You should have a line looking something like this:

ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=460012345678901

try changing it to:

ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=

Or wait for me to upload my new release of my custom ROM where I've done this allready and also built my way around the cust thing so it propably will have working wifi even on U8110 phones.

EDIT: If the kernels are identical between U8110 and U8100 it also means I can use the pulse mini kernel source and add nice things like swap and compcache support.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

flashed on u8110 and guess what? :lol: everything as i told before, all working but damn network. (it isnt hardware problem coz when flashed t-mo updata.app it works. just in case someone wonders)

also noticed that wifi starts up much faster, before it took 2-3 seconds to activate and scan, now it feels like its 0.5 seconds and it showed 3 networks arround, and autoconnected to the open one. cool.

starting to look after logcat things (and learn them) time to put this 2.1 modding aside and get froyo up and running :)

EDIT: attached some logcat outputs. as i see it, there is some RIL crap repeating like crazy.

logcat.txt

Edited by Gjole86

Guest lixi1048

Beautiful!! It worked on my U8100 from Wind mobile Canada!! Thanks so Much!! One question though: how do I install apps to SD?

A custom ROM based on the official swedish U8100 ROM. It may default to swedish but it supports a long list of languages.

Download: u8100_expert_customized_rls5.zip

Although RLS5 should work on both U8100 and U8110 phones it has still not been confirmed.

Instructions

1. Flash a recovery image (tested with AmonRA.)

2. Copy the .zip file to your MicroSD card and boot the phone into recovery mode (call+volume-up+power)

3. Choose "Flash zip from sdcard" and choose the zip you just copied. A guide in pictures

4. (optional) Wipe data+cache before rebooting. It may or may not work OK to not wipe data but it's propably best to wipe.A guide in pictures

Description

- Removed Launcher2

- Removed MyWeather widget.

- Removed TouchPal and AndroidKeyboard

- Removed ServoSearch

- Added Launcher Pro

- Added Home Switcher

- Added MarketAccess

- Added the last flip-clock versionen of Weather widgets (yr.no).

- Added Googles News & Weather app/widget.

- Added HTC_IME & an AndroidKeyboard with Voice input support (also adds VoiceSearch).

- Added busybox with symlinks

- Added nano (texteditor)

- Added bash

- Added my own relocate_apps.sh script that allows moving /data/apps to the SD-card (but breaks USB-mounting).

- Replaced bootanimationen with a Nexus animation I resized for QVGA for another project.

- Replaced Market with a version that fakes HVGA (=more apps)

- Replaced Google Maps with the latest brut.all modded version (= international navigation)

- Replaced RoadSync with the offical upgrade you are allowed to download.

- Adjusted wallpapers in the original launcher to correct sizes and ascpect ratio for a QVGA device. May make them look a bit weird in the original launcher.

- Rooted with Superuser permissions (2.3.6.1)

- Fakes autofocus and more for more apps in the market

- Moved the 25Mb autorun.iso from /data to /system which frees up another 25Mb for apps on /data. This also makes sure USB-mounting doesn't break when you wipe data.

- Bypassed the /system/cust system so wifi should now work on other phones than the Expert Sweden ones.

- Disabled the mobile data warning

- Disabled the forced camera sound when phone is set to "silent".

Edited by lixi1048

Guest lixi1048
I've now updated the first post with this link.

Did the new one have language choice? The first post only has English and French.

Edited by lixi1048

Guest kallt_kaffe
Did the new one have language choice? The first post only has English and French.

Really? On my phone I get a long list of different languages with the build in the first post (RLS5). I haven't really figured out what controls this. All languages seems to be compiled in but previuosly I could only choose between french, english, german, spanish and swedish but when I re-arranged the stuff that made Wifi break on other phones I suddenly could choose from all languages.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Beautiful!! It worked on my U8100 from Wind mobile Canada!! Thanks so Much!! One question though: how do I install apps to SD?

Install a terminal emulator (or use adb if you are familiar with it).

Then do this:

$ su

# relocate_apps.sh create 256

That will create a 256Mb diskimage on your SD-card where it will move all your apps. Upon the next restart of the phone it will clear out the old files in /data.

It will still store the dalvik-cache on NAND so there is no point in creating an image larger than 512Mb (256 in the example above is of course just an example) because you will still be limited by the dalvik-cache.

This is highly experiemental and it will for sure break USB-mounting so you'll have to poweroff the phone and use a card reader if you want to transfer files between your phone and your computer.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest lixi1048
Install a terminal emulator (or use adb if you are familiar with it).

Then do this:

$ su

# relocate_apps.sh create 256

That will create a 256Mb diskimage on your SD-card where it will move all your apps. Upon the next restart of the phone it will clear out the old files in /data.

It will still store the dalvik-cache on NAND so there is no point in creating an image larger than 512Mb (256 in the example above is of course just an example) because you will still be limited by the dalvik-cache.

This is highly experiemental and it will for sure break USB-mounting so you'll have to poweroff the phone and use a card reader if you want to transfer files between your phone and your computer.

Thanks so much. I will give it a try.

So what exactly is this? It it better than Mg Custom Rom? Also are there any problems?

its for U8100, not u8110. but u cant try it on pulse mini (u8110) for me it worked so nice but i had no network.

Guest Limepros_0
that is bootloader mode, phones stops at t-mobile / orange whatever startup logo it has :lol: connect cable, be sure to have drivers installed (sooner android interface or something similar) u can check that in device menager (xp / vista / 7, all the same)

Hey, i have a problem. My computers(XP/Vista) don't want to find the "Android 1.0" driver for the bootmode. It's a orange branded u8100 phone. thanks if someone has a solution or could send me a link for it B)

EDIT: Found it, if someone else need it it Android 1.0 driver

Edited by Limepros_0

K_caffe can u add the /proc/cmdline from MGr3 into ur rls5 rom and upload it somewhere? my searches show that that file is the one to blame for failing network. in ur rom its blank, in MGr3 is filled with some info. strange i cant replace it with root explorer ><

Guest kallt_kaffe
K_caffe can u add the /proc/cmdline from MGr3 into ur rls5 rom and upload it somewhere? my searches show that that file is the one to blame for failing network. in ur rom its blank, in MGr3 is filled with some info. strange i cant replace it with root explorer ><

You can't just add stuff to the proc filesystem just like that, but on my phone, with my kernel it contains the kernel command line.

You can't just add stuff to the proc filesystem just like that, but on my phone, with my kernel it contains the kernel command line.

is it empty? size is showed as 0 but with rootexplorer u can see its contents.