[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

It is up to you to decide which governor suit your needs.

First start with post #1 then read the kernel documentation or Wikipedia and also search the Internet to see peoples opinion about governors.

Yes I understand that. But the problem is that I don't know what smartass actually does.

Like powersave=low cpu. What does smartass and some other do? I have searched around but sadly when I search for governor I get different elected american governors and I don't really care about politicians. :)

Already downloaded and modified your new InitMod, currently testing smartass and running fine...

I noticed you changed the default scheduler to Deadline from CFQ, any reason behind that..? :)

IIRC CFQ is faster only in EXT3 partition, CMIIW...

I played with some benchmarks a little. With current script configs (deadline) I got 30 more points (2 consecutive tests).

Yes I understand that. But the problem is that I don't know what smartass actually does.

Like powersave=low cpu. What does smartass and some other do? I have searched around but sadly when I search for governor I get different elected american governors and I don't really care about politicians. :)

That (elected governors) was a good one =)) .

Start from here: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentati...q/governors.txt

http://android.doshaska.net/interactive

For smartass this is the only info I found (quote from erasmux):

"smartass governor - is based on the concept of the interactive governor.

I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.

Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!"

in short: govenors are different philosophies to set the frequency of the cpu, they affect battery life and performance

they differ at which point of demand they higher or they lower the cpu frequency

for details look here ie:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cpufreq-2/

smartass is a philosophy which promises powersaving at low cost of perfomance

Edited by woti17

Ok I have checked the different links now and I think that this is how it goes...

Ondemand = scales CPU

Interactive = faster than ondemand because it's more responsive and scales faster

Smartass = A better version of Interactive

So I guess I'll try Smartass or Interactive now because I find Ondemand sluggish at times.

Just one last question:

Can I change files via root explorer or do I have to use ADB. I don't use it often so I would need some help in that case.

Guest snapilica
Just one last question:

Can I change files via root explorer or do I have to use ADB. I don't use it often so I would need some help in that case.

Root explorer is just fine.

Ok I have checked the different links now and I think that this is how it goes...

with

Ondemand = scales CPU

Interactive = faster than ondemand because it's more responsive and scales faster

Smartass = A better version of Interactive

So I guess I'll try Smartass or Interactive now because I find Ondemand sluggish at times.

Just one last question:

you can change the .conf files in /data/etc without adb with a text editor - they are root-writable

you can also use adb (with usb or wireless) without recovery to pull the config files to pc, edit them and push them back to /data/etc

adb works without recovery too, you only don't have /system write access

or you can use root explorer to put them on sdcard and mount the sdcard on pc

or you can use cifs-manager to get them to a windows-share, modify them, put them back ...

or use terminal and nano (or vi ;-) or a ssh-shell over wireless

whatever method you use, they should have rw-r--r-- permissions after you put them back

I have used root explorer. I had some problems with it once so I just wanted to double check.

The only thing I need to do now is restart the phone for the new config files to take effect.

Thanks for the help guys.

Another one: http://nexusonehacks.net/android-news/doub...android-device/

Have you tried it? What is your opinion?

That's conditioning the battery. Some users report way better battery with this but I never noticed the difference.

I think that it's because I change roms only when my battery is full and because of that my battery data remains fairly accurate.

Or my phone just eats the battery no matter what I do. :)

P.S.: @Sub501: Interactive governor works better than ondemand on my phone. It was a little sluggish before because I have a lot of apps. I have noticed that the difference is that interactive ramps up the cpu much faster and I don't experience that much lag or it's just a really good placebo effect. But it fooled me so I'm satisfied. Smartass (from what I've read) just changes the cpu value when the screen is of but that's exactly what your script does so I don't need it.

One question though... How do I check if everything is working? I have checked logcat but I can't find any relevant data.

Thanks again

That's conditioning the battery. Some users report way better battery with this but I never noticed the difference.

Or my phone just eats the battery no matter what I do. :)

you must do that at full moon and standing on one leg eating cat's food ;-)

I knew I missed something! I did two of the three things you mentioned.

I didn't stand on one leg because I have a bad balance.

P.S.: Dry food for cats is actually really good. But only the white bits. And dog chocolate. My father and me tested it some time ago. :)

Edited by bpivk

Smartass (from what I've read) just changes the cpu value when the screen is of but that's exactly what your script does so I don't need it.

One question though... How do I check if everything is working? I have checked logcat but I can't find any relevant data.

Thanks again

1. Where did you find that: "Smartass (from what I've read) just changes the cpu value when the screen is of"? This is not true. Has nothing todo with the screen. You can check by installing setcpu, keep the screen, set smartass and see how the CPU is going.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

2. logcat | grep pwr then switch the screen on/off a couple of time.

1. Where did you find that: "Smartass (from what I've read) just changes the cpu value when the screen is off? This is not true.

Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz

That's what I meant. This sentence led me to think that when the screen is off (the phone sleeps) the CPU lovers it's clock. Isn't that similar to what powersave governor does?

That's what I meant. This sentence led me to think that when the screen is off (the phone sleeps) the CPU lovers it's clock. Isn't that similar to what powersave governor does?

No man, the quote is for a post for another phone model.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730471 (Hero)

Now I think I understand what you mean. It is about sleep_max_freq in fact.

The smartass compute this freq and when the system is in sleep it caps to sleep_max_freq (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/smartass/sleep_max_freq) . But don;t rely on this for future or other kernels because this behavior can be disabled during kernel build. For the moment it is activated and will cap to 254Mhz.

Furthermore, the powermanagement script will also let you define governor/max freq by battery level. Why? Your battery level is 20% and you have 3-4 hours till a powersource is available but you also want to use your phone or wait for a life saving SMS or call. The script will let you define a 'profile' for a battery level. Something like: if battery is <20% then max freq is 768Mhz.

Edited by Sub501

Guest TheUntouchable

Hey sub, i renamed the powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample to .conf and the powermanagement.conf to .sample and rebooted, but when i logcat | grep pwr it shows me that it switched to ondemand instead of smartass..

Edited by TheUntouchable

Hey sub, i renamed the powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample to .conf and the powermanagement.conf to .sample and rebooted, but when i logcat | grep pwr it shows me that it switched to ondemand instead of smartass..

You have to rename powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample to powermanagement.conf (exclude smartass and sample)

Guest TheUntouchable
You have to rename powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample to powermanagement.conf (exclude smartass and sample)

Oh, i see. Thanks :rolleyes:

how many partitions on sdcard are possibile?

ie

1) fat32

2) ext3

3) cache

all primary partitions

4) extended partion with logical partitions

would that work?

how many partitions on sdcard are possibile?

ie

1) fat32

2) ext3

3) cache

all primary partitions

4) extended partion with logical partitions

would that work?

I think you can have as many as you want in a 3 primary + 1 extended scenario.

For R8/R9) you may check if you have /system/etc/vold.fstab fix installed (R9 has it, R8 not) and the disk layout is:

Primary P1 - fat32

Primary P2 - ext3

Primary P3 - swap? I don't use it

Extended P4 - extended

E-L1(P5), E-L1(P6), and so on.

Never tested with more than 2 partitions.

Edited by Sub501

Google Goggles doesn't work, it complains the kernel doesn't have IPv6 support.

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

in terminal to enable it temporarly

then look for the init-script where it gets disabled, think its something with "tuning"

and remove the line from the script