[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

yes, well, as always :-) running since 2 two days with btrfs as 2nd partition

would you mind making a nilfs2 module (and the nilfs2-tools), please, if your time allows?

just trying btrfs and nilfs2 (the second for now only at netbook)

as described in changelog the nilfs2 module is available in the latest update..

nilfs2-tools will be available may be next week.

Guest TheUntouchable
I have it in my ROM kitchen. Just a moment I'll upload it.

Here you go. I hope that's the one you need.

Thank you very much for the file, sadly it doenst fix my problem.. Seams i am forced to flash my rom again..

as described in changelog the nilfs2 module is available in the latest update..

nilfs2-tools will be available may be next week.

oh, thanks

tried yesterday under ubuntu the nilfs2 on sdcard, can't remember when i had the last time kernel crashes (must be a long time ago),

but yesterday it crashed. very experimantel stuff ;-)

Edited by woti17

oh, thanks

tried yesterday under ubuntu the nilfs2 on sdcard, can't remember when i had the last time kernel crashes (must be a long time ago),

but yesterday it crashed. very experimantel stuff ;-)

Yes I know, the kernel code of nilfs2 is marked as experimental. I put it there because of a flame started on XDA.

Guest Morgoth6

I decided to give a try to this version of kernel build and I must say the idea to make it configureable usings scripts is simply briliant. Hard to say anything about stability as I use it only a day, but I see one problem so far. One of the scripts fails with:

I//system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt [submod-undervolt](  141): using Sub501 VDD patch
I//system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt [submod-undervolt]( 142): using control file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): /system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt: 113: Syntax error: Bad substitution
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): run-parts: /system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt exited with code 2[/codebox]

It seems the busybox doesn't like:

[codebox]if [ "${LINE:0:5}" == "MODE=" ]; then

I use LeeDroid 2.3b ROM for now with busybox 1.16.1, but I tired with 1.17.1 with same result.

I decided to give a try to this version of kernel build and I must say the idea to make it configureable usings scripts is simply briliant. Hard to say anything about stability as I use it only a day, but I see one problem so far. One of the scripts fails with:

I//system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt [submod-undervolt](  141): using Sub501 VDD patch
I//system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt [submod-undervolt]( 142): using control file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): /system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt: 113: Syntax error: Bad substitution
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): run-parts: /system/etc/init.d/98_01_cpu_undervolt exited with code 2[/codebox]

It seems the busybox doesn't like:

[codebox]if [ "${LINE:0:5}" == "MODE=" ]; then

I use LeeDroid 2.3b ROM for now with busybox 1.16.1, but I tired with 1.17.1 with same result.

Thanks for the report. I'll have a look, it is quite strange, I tested this script.

Thanks for the report. I'll have a look, it is quite strange, I tested this script.

Yes it is a problem. It is working in bash but not in ash (busybox). My default shell is bash this is why I don't spotted. Working on this.

Edited by Sub501

Yes it is a problem. It is working in bash but not in ash (busybox). My default shell is bash this is why I don't spotted. Working on this.

i have bash too, working here

try #!/system/bin/bash

Edited by woti17

Fix will be available in the first post in ~ 1 hour.

UPDATE:

Fix is available in the first post.

Edited by Sub501

Guest Morgoth6

A small status upgrade from me. I use new build since few days and I must say Im happy with it as it's stable (most important thing IMHO as previous kernel I tired (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=849002) gives me spontanous reboots once per 1-2 days usage) and it's quite fast.

I have a small suggestion. It would be a good idea to add a notes about sysctl.conf file as it's loaded by init scripts and in some ROM's this file is borked and/or interfere with setting applied by scripts (LeeDroid 2.3x for example doesn't load it at all and it contains some invalid keys) User should check this file before report any problems. In my case I simply delete all contents of this file.

I//system/xbin/busybox(   68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_compat_yield' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_child_runs_first' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs' is an unknown key[/codebox]

Also it would be good to ask user to check the init scripts for anything that set voltage (Again LeeDroid 2.3b which has own script in init to set voltages named 98vddlevels) and maybe add 98vddlevels to delete at init flash ?

A small status upgrade from me. I use new build since few days and I must say Im happy with it as it's stable (most important thing IMHO as previous kernel I tired (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=849002) gives me spontanous reboots once per 1-2 days usage) and it's quite fast.

I have a small suggestion. It would be a good idea to add a notes about sysctl.conf file as it's loaded by init scripts and in some ROM's this file is borked and/or interfere with setting applied by scripts (LeeDroid 2.3x for example doesn't load it at all and it contains some invalid keys) User should check this file before report any problems. In my case I simply delete all contents of this file.

I//system/xbin/busybox(   68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_compat_yield' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.sched_child_runs_first' is an unknown key
I//system/xbin/busybox( 68): sysctl: error: 'kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs' is an unknown key[/codebox]

Also it would be good to ask user to check the init scripts for anything that set voltage (Again LeeDroid 2.3b which has own script in init to set voltages named 98vddlevels) and maybe add 98vddlevels to delete at init flash ?

Hello and thanks for your feedback.

Your idea is great but is hard to implement for all the ROMs in the wild. Simply put we have too many ROMs and no standards.

For the moment what I can do is to implement for LeeDroid only.

Kind regards,

Sub501 Manager GUI app is available in post #3 .

Legend: col1 - htc stock voltages, col2 - actual voltages, col3 - frequency

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels

1050 950 128000

1050 950 245000

i believe this is oudated for vdd

shows

128000: 950

245000: 950

Sub501 Manager GUI app is available in post #3 .

maybe because i have a hd rom, but it crashes

D/AndroidRuntime(18197): Shutting down VM

W/dalvikvm(18197): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40025a70)

E/AndroidRuntime(18197): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime(18197): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{net.sub501.manager/net.sub501.manager.Sub501Manager}: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{net.sub501.manager/net.sub501.manager.voltage.VoltageManager}: java.lang.NullPointerException: println needs a message

Legend: col1 - htc stock voltages, col2 - actual voltages, col3 - frequency

1050 950 128000

1050 950 245000

i believe this is oudated for vdd

shows

128000: 950

245000: 950

I don't get it. How can you have different vdd_levels output? For me, your second output is from original vdd, first output is from sub501 vdd patch.

Edited by Sub501

maybe because i have a hd rom, but it crashes

D/AndroidRuntime(18197): Shutting down VM

W/dalvikvm(18197): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40025a70)

E/AndroidRuntime(18197): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime(18197): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{net.sub501.manager/net.sub501.manager.Sub501Manager}: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{net.sub501.manager/net.sub501.manager.voltage.VoltageManager}: java.lang.NullPointerException: println needs a message

Cant help, do you have more traces? I believe not. May be in the next versions I'll have time to 'decorate' with more exception catch blocks.

I don't get it. How can you have different vdd_levels output? For me, your second output is from original vdd, first output is from sub501 vdd patch.

strange, because i have your kernel,

26.32.27-sub501

sub501@eeepc #2

Guest Kiran J. Holla

My turn to ask a Noob question.

If I Nand backup my phone and then proceed to flash this kernel and the init mods and then everything goes haywire, will restoring from the Nand backup bring my phone back to as it is now?

I have never really flashed a kernel before and just want to be sure that a Nand backup can still save my phone if something goes wrong.

Regards,

Kiran

My turn to ask a Noob question.

If I Nand backup my phone and then proceed to flash this kernel and the init mods and then everything goes haywire, will restoring from the Nand backup bring my phone back to as it is now?

I have never really flashed a kernel before and just want to be sure that a Nand backup can still save my phone if something goes wrong.

Regards,

Kiran

Yes it will restore your Phone as it was before the flash.

Grobie

[EDIT] just do a full wipe if something goes wrong before you restore.

Edited by Grobie

strange, because i have your kernel,

26.32.27-sub501

sub501@eeepc #2

Nope, you dont have the latest kernel. There are 2 versions of 32.27: Changelog v20101210 and Changelog v20101212. Latest is 2.6.32.27-sub501@u50vg#7.

Sub501 vdd was introduced in Changelog v20101212.

Edited by Sub501

Nope, you dont have the latest kernel. There are 2 versions of 32.27: Changelog v20101210 and Changelog v20101212. Latest is 2.6.32.27-sub501@u50vg#7.

Sub501 vdd was introduced in Changelog v20101212.

that was it, thanks

sub501manager doesn't crash anymore

quick look at submanager: almost impossible to touch "txpower" tab with my fingers ;-)

but looks promising

Edited by woti17

can this kernel be added to WIP r10 kitchen when baking a ROM?

Or does it have to be flashed after the ROM ?

Only if Paul decides to use it, otherwise:

- flash Paul rom

- without rebooting flash this kernel then flash init mods