[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Sorry, I'm wrong. That errors are not with your kernel. But the system doesn't boot. I see just splash screen.

In logcat:

--------- beginning of /dev/log/main

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar'

E/dalvikvm(  969): Can't open dex cache '/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex': No such file or directory

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar'

E/dalvikvm(  969): Can't open dex cache '/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex': No such file or directory

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar'

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar'

E/dalvikvm(  969): ERROR: no valid entries found in bootclasspath '/system/framework/core.jar:/system/framework/ext.jar:/system/framework/framework.jar:/system/framework/android.policy.jar:/system/framework/services.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar:/system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar'

W/dalvikvm(  969): JNI_CreateJavaVM failed

E/AndroidRuntime(  969): JNI_CreateJavaVM failed

I have Alex-V 1.5HD rom with BTRFS sd-ext.

Any advice?

Sorry, I'm wrong. That errors are not with your kernel. But the system doesn't boot. I see just splash screen.

In logcat:

--------- beginning of /dev/log/main

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar'

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar'

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar'

I/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to open or create cache for /system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar (/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex)

D/dalvikvm(  969): Unable to process classpath element '/system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar'

E/dalvikvm(  969): ERROR: no valid entries found in bootclasspath '/system/framework/core.jar:/system/framework/ext.jar:/system/framework/framework.jar:/system/framework/android.policy.jar:/system/framework/services.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.framework.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.android.pimlib.jar:/system/framework/com.htc.android.easopen.jar:/system/framework/com.scalado.util.ScaladoUtil.jar'

W/dalvikvm(  969): JNI_CreateJavaVM failed

E/AndroidRuntime(  969): JNI_CreateJavaVM failed

I have Alex-V 1.5HD rom with BTRFS sd-ext.

Any advice?

Did you try loading btrfs module?

And one more. Could you add the VR IO scheduler in kernel? It would be interesting to try it.

Only if you can point me the path to the source code/patch. Please don't post GIT links of other kernel 'chefs'. I will not extract code from other kernel repo (multiple reasons of not doing that).

Hi all,

It is time for a challenge . As you may saw, no kernel downloads are available anymore. I created a bundle of 6 kernels and moved them to dropbox. Please read the first post and help me find the best one.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi all,

It is time for a challenge . As you may saw, no kernel downloads are available anymore. I created a bundle of 6 kernels and moved them to dropbox. Please read the first post and help me find the best one.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi, Sub501.

Six new kernels, you rock! Thank you!

I start from 4-kernel... And now I have this "can not get policy" thing, but it working very fast and smooth...

I'll try another cfs.

Same issue on 3-kernel.

Now I am on 5-kernel. No errors in logcat and it working really fast. Continue testing...

Edited by Semmy7

Did you try loading btrfs module?

I spent about 2 hours last night but can't boot system with you kernel.

I tried load the btrfs module on fly

insmod /system/lib/modules/btrfs.ko

but had the previous errors.

I tried flash init_mods_sub501_20110109.zip with uncommented btrfs module - no result.

I'm some confused and wait any advise.

I tried flash init_mods_sub501_20110109.zip with uncommented btrfs module - no result.

I have no idea. Can you please attach the runparts scripts? May be the btrfs needs to be in kernel not module.

Edited by Sub501

Guest snapilica

As sub501 said numerous times it's nearly imposible to guarantee a kernel will work on all the dozens and more ROM's available all of which have their custom setup. Sub501 makes his kernels to work on stock Froyo Desire ROM's and the stock Desire Z/HD ports. The fact that the kernels sometimes work on other types of ROM's (with God knows how many types of data2something implementations) is good but not mandatory.

In this case, as Sub501 said, maybe the brtfs needs to be in the kernel and not as a module. You can check Alex-V's ROM and see what he did and see what's the difference between his kernel and Sub's kernel. Also as previously mentioned it appears the Z/HD ports work with CFS kernels and that the BFS ones do output errors in logcat. Have you tried with a CFS kernel?

At a brief view, the logcat errors (bfs enabled kernels + HD ROM) are inoffensive meaning nobody complained about missing functionality, crashes or any other issue. I didn't dug too much on this subject but it seems that HD Sense has a cgroups aware DalvikVM , for better better thread management I suppose. Not having cgroups will still keep your phone up and running.

Edited by Sub501

I have no idea. Can you please attach the runparts scripts? May be the btrfs needs to be in kernel not module.

I think btrfs needs to be in kernel too. Anyway take a look at default init.d folder of Alex-V 1.5HD ROM. I just edit 01alex_init script from cfq to deadline IO scheduler and delete 98CFQonthefly script.

The ROM uses coutts [sENSE KERNEL] 2.6.32.28 by default. Maybe it will be useful.

Have you tried with a CFS kernel?
I am interested in the BFS kernel. Just look at this link

init.d.zip

So, go on ...

6-Kernel slightly slower than the 5-Kernel, imho.

So, in my experience and my subjective opinion, the best was the "5-kernel-update-cfs-2.6.32.28-sub501-20110120_203609.zip"

I have not tried BFS-kernels because i have an dhd-ported rom.

At a brief view, the logcat errors (bfs enabled kernels + HD ROM) are inoffensive meaning nobody complained about missing functionality, crashes or any other issue. I didn't dug too much on this subject but it seems that HD Sense has a cgroups aware DalvikVM , for better better thread management I suppose. Not having cgroups will still keep your phone up and running.

Yes, you right.

Perhaps you might be interested in these arguments on the same topic.

I think btrfs needs to be in kernel too.

It is experimental code (this is how is marked in the kernel source). May be I can build one just for testing. To be honest I prefer to keep the kernel as clean as possible and provide modules for any extra functionality. Check this thread from time to time , when I have time I build one.

It is experimental code (this is how is marked in the kernel source). May be I can build one just for testing. To be honest I prefer to keep the kernel as clean as possible and provide modules for any extra functionality. Check this thread from time to time , when I have time I build one.

Thanks for your reply. DATA2whatever is very interesting subject but requires the support of the kernel developers.

Any news :lol:

This kernel is very interesting :) Can you include btrfs and all the other stuff that can be included direct in the kernel...maybe a test version..?

Also a very nice config app...respect

Thanks...with kind regards...Alex

Thanks.

Not yet, this evening for sure.

Anyway what does it means 'all the other stuff'? I suppose all related filesystem modules.

Edited by Sub501

Anyway what does it means 'all the other stuff'? I suppose all related filesystem modules.

I think Alex means filesystems:

btrfs, reiserfs, jfs

and IO schedulers:

vr, deadline

I think Alex means filesystems:

btrfs, reiserfs, jfs

and IO schedulers:

vr, deadline

schedulers are there. vr must be ported, the patch is old and not working directly (kernel api has been changed). vr will not be available today.

As I promissed a new batch of CFS kernels

- built in: ext234, jfs, xfs, reiserfs, btrfs,

- built in CPU governors: smartass, ondemand, performance, powersave, conservative

- built in IO sched: bfq,cfq,deadline,anticipatory and noop (*)

- Undervolted : Sub501 undervolt and sysfs vdd patch (*)

- Overclocked (use Sub501 init mods, Sub501 manager support coming soon). To protect your phone, the default max freq is 1Ghz. You can use Sub501 init mods to change this.

- Various patches and optimizations : the bundle contain 4 releases.

(*) Sub501Manager can be used to config that feature.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10553163/android/t...fs-20100124.zip

Guest snapilica
As I promissed a new batch of CFS kernels

- built in: ext234, jfs, xfs, reiserfs, btrfs,

- built in CPU governors: smartass, ondemand, performance, powersave, conservative

- built in IO sched: bfq,cfq,deadline,anticipatory and noop (*)

- Undervolted : Sub501 undervolt and sysfs vdd patch (*)

- Overclocked (use Sub501 init mods, Sub501 manager support coming soon). To protect your phone, the default max freq is 1Ghz. You can use Sub501 init mods to change this.

- Various patches and optimizations : the bundle contain 4 releases.

(*) Sub501Manager can be used to config that feature.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10553163/android/t...fs-20100124.zip

Not doing any BFS?