[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Guest snapilica
+1

I'm currently on CNA and aside from it coming off stanbdby a little slow (in my opinion) its nice and speedy...and I've got swap enabled for the first time with DarkTremor A2SD ;)

The whole purpose of the poll is for a blind test.

You don't need to know about the kernel, you need to test them all and vote your favorite one. That's what is written in the first post. After there are enough votes maybe Sub501 will post the particularities of each kernel.

This is because people seem to be biased for a ROM if he/she knows what's built in it and may favor one or another based on the newest "trend" that's going on in the Android kernel modding world here or on XDA.

Just test and see what runs best for you and what YOU think works best with YOUR ROM. Oh and again, as it's said in the first post, don't use synthetic benchmarks, I've seen lots of cases where a great score in Quadrant did not show in real life.

Edited by snapilica

+1

I'm currently on CNA and aside from it coming off stanbdby a little slow (in my opinion) its nice and speedy...and I've got swap enabled for the first time with DarkTremor A2SD ;)

If I got it right "coming off standby a little slow" - are you using sub501 mods? If yes then it is absolutely normal: when the device is in standby mode (screen is off) the governor is switched to powersave and the CPU frequency is 'locked' to 245Mhz. When the screen is on (device is awake) the governor is set to smartass (the default Sub501 config) with min=245Mhz and max=1Ghz. This transition will cost some cpu cycles.

You can customize gevernor and frequency in /data/etc/powermanagement.conf (only if using Sub501 mods).

The whole purpose of the poll is for a blind test.

You don't need to know about the kernel, you need to test them all and vote your favorite one. That's what is written in the first post. After there are enough votes maybe Sub501 will post the particularities of each kernel.

This is because people seem to be biased for a ROM if he/she knows what's built in it and may favor one or another based on the newest "trend" that's going on in the Android kernel modding world here or on XDA.

Just test and see what runs best for you and what YOU think works best with YOUR ROM. Oh and again, as it's said in the first post, don't use synthetic benchmarks, I've seen lots of cases where a great score in Quadrant did not show in real life.

A very good post. Thanks.

Guest Mr Taylor
If I got it right "coming off standby a little slow" - are you using sub501 mods? If yes then it is absolutely normal: when the device is in standby mode (screen is off) the governor is switched to powersave and the CPU frequency is 'locked' to 245Mhz. When the screen is on (device is awake) the governor is set to smartass (the default Sub501 config) with min=245Mhz and max=1Ghz. This transition will cost some cpu cycles.

You can customize gevernor and frequency in /data/etc/powermanagement.conf (only if using Sub501 mods).

Hi,

I am using setCPU at 245MHz Screenstate scaling. I referred to it being a little slow in comparison to the SNQ kernel of 'InsertCoin 1.8F' I changed the scaling from 128:245 to 245:245 because it seemed slower; Other than that, the kernel I am testing is nice and zippy and compares favourably.

PS, I know what 'blind test' means. I am merely curious as to what the CNA, CNU, etc means thats all; I dont appreciate some patronising reply, however 'Great' the post is. I am doing this to help and participate because I appreciate the work you are doing and the results of this will hopefully improve the experiences with my phone

;)

Thanks

Guest snapilica
PS, I know what 'blind test' means. I am merely curious as to what the CNA, CNU, etc means thats all; I dont appreciate some patronising reply, however 'Great' the post is. I am doing this to help and participate because I appreciate the work you are doing and the results of this will hopefully improve the experiences with my phone

;)

Thanks

I was not being patronizing at all, but why would you ask what CNA, CNU etc meant if you know what a "blind" test is. They are just some abreviations so that Sub501 gave to each kernel to know which is which.

Guest Mr Taylor
I was not being patronizing at all, but why would you ask what CNA, CNU etc meant if you know what a "blind" test is. They are just some abreviations so that Sub501 gave to each kernel to know which is which.

Apologies if you werent but like I said, I was just curious; if it means nothing except to SUB501 then fine.... I will switch to another of the Kernels in the next hour or so and so I will report back later probably.

Cheers ;)

Hi,

I am using setCPU at 245MHz Screenstate scaling. I referred to it being a little slow in comparison to the SNQ kernel of 'InsertCoin 1.8F' I changed the scaling from 128:245 to 245:245 because it seemed slower; Other than that, the kernel I am testing is nice and zippy and compares favourably.

;)

Thanks

* setCPU does the same but different approach. Both setCPU and Sub501Mod are working in user space.

I suppose setCPU is listening to the wakeup event which is triggered before the screen is on (which is not bad at all). Sub501 is waiting the screen to be on then after that is switching the governor. Now, as a minimal check, before comparing kernels you must be sure:

- the kernel you compare to is using the same voltages for the freqs you test. You can check/change my voltage table using Sub501 Manager.

- you are using the same governors (with the same parameters)

- you are using a cfs kernel. If you compare a cfs vs bfs kernels the test is not relevant. For the moment I choose cfs. I can provide bfs on request.

* CNA, CNU are codes defined to easy identify a build on my side.

Guest Mr Taylor
* setCPU does the same but different approach. Both setCPU and Sub501Mod are working in user space.

I suppose setCPU is listening to the wakeup event which is triggered before the screen is on (which is not bad at all). Sub501 is waiting the screen to be on then after that is switching the governor. Now, as a minimal check, before comparing kernels you must be sure:

- the kernel you compare to is using the same voltages for the freqs you test. You can check/change my voltage table using Sub501 Manager.

- you are using the same governors (with the same parameters)

- you are using a cfs kernel. If you compare a cfs vs bfs kernels the test is not relevant. For the moment I choose cfs. I can provide bfs on request.

* CNA, CNU are codes defined to easy identify a build on my side.

I have switched from CNA to CNU now. I am deliberately not messing with voltages so as not to skew my testing. My feelings so far is that these are fast kernels and I think that you have done a great job. I havent tested the CNU version long enough yet to properly comment. Thanks

I am deliberately not messing with voltages so as not to skew my testing.

When also comparing between Sub501 and other kernels please do check the voltage and cpu scheduler (cfs, bfs) on both kernels.

Thanks for your time. Your feedback and your vote will help me focus on a specific release.

Edited by Sub501

Should I remove "Just show me the results" option from the poll? It may affect tester decision...

You should probably also enable multiple answers if you can or make another pool because I think that you should determine the best build and then make a kernel for Sense as well as Sense HD.

Just to make sure I am testing right...

Should I restore the init mods as well after each kernel install?

any reccomendation on NAND, SDCARD I/O scheduler and readahead values or I had better leave them alone?

I am on D2Ext with Fat32 / 1Gb Ext4 / 0,3Gb Ext4 / 0,1Gb_Swap

Just to make sure I am testing right...

Should I restore the init mods as well after each kernel install?

any reccomendation on NAND, SDCARD I/O scheduler and readahead values or I had better leave them alone?

I am on D2Ext with Fat32 / 1Gb Ext4 / 0,3Gb Ext4 / 0,1Gb_Swap

Hello, there's no need to reinstall init mods.

I'm using BFQ but give a try to the rest of schedulers.

Guest Mr Taylor

Hi,

I have tested all 4 now and am struggling to say which one appears fastest. If I had to pick one, it would be from the CNx series, but there does not appear to be one that stands out above the other.

In summary, all seem fast with 'InsertCoin 1.8f' running 8G cl4 SD with 1G ext 4 and 512M swap. I am genuinely impressed with all of them and like the swap idea, which does seem to add a little extra speed (Swappyness at 30)

These kernels do seem to compare welll with both the SNQ kernel and the COUTTS kernels (HAVS & BFS both of them)

Thanks ;)

Edited by Mr Taylor

Well, I'm preparing lzma kernels...

Until then can you help me in finding a config ".config" for the busybox 1.17.x ??? I'm trying to compile latest busybox 1.18.2 but I got some problems with 'cut' applet:

ls -l | grep something | cut -f3

Simply put 'cut' ignores the input returning empty result. May be I missed something in config?

@sub501: Which of the kernels you've posted is for Sense HD? Or all all the kernels the same and it doesn't matter if I use regular or HD Sense?

And which of the kernels support swap? All of them or none of them?

Edited by bpivk

@sub501: Which of the kernels you've posted is for Sense HD? Or all all the kernels the same and it doesn't matter if I use regular or HD Sense?

And which of the kernels support swap? All of them or none of them?

all of them support both swap and HD. The diff betw small and big : big has btrfs built-in.

all of them support both swap and HD. The diff betw small and big : big has btrfs built-in.

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if CN or CV means that it's for different versions so I've asked to be sure.

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if CN or CV means that it's for different versions so I've asked to be sure.

No , it is about some compilation flags/options

Guest TheUntouchable

Cant install the kernel + scripts. Clockwork Recovery aborts the installation and i am not able to read the error.

EDIT: Seems this was caused by the file name or the folder.. working now :P

EDIT2: Finaly a kernel which seems to work for me again without a bootloop! Thank you! :D

Edited by TheUntouchable

The LeeDrOiD 2.3d ROM get frozen at boot with the new snq kernel the others in the sn... series are fine.

EDIT: are you using an ext4 partition? ext4 is not built-in. next version will have it.

EDIT: new kernel with ext4fs support is available in the first post

Edited by Sub501

I definitely recommend aligning your SD card partition's geometry and filesystem(s).

On my 16G, class 6, card, using 128k erase block the write speed has been doubled (from 3MB/s to 6MB/s).

After aligning, it seems that is no difference between bfq, vr or sio i/o sched. I got the same speed with all of them.

Here are the guides:

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696

http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.com/2009...rite-speed.html

Speed test apk can be found here: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...d-speed-tester/