[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

cat /sys/block/mtdblock0/queue/scheduler

shell cat /sys/block/mtdblock0/queue/scheduler

adb server is out of date.  killing...

* daemon started successfully *

noop [cfq]

Thanks Sub501, I'm confident with adb but I don't know every command :P so appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

shell cat /sys/block/mtdblock0/queue/scheduler

adb server is out of date.  killing...

* daemon started successfully *

noop [cfq]

Thanks Sub501, I'm confident with adb but I don't know every command :P so appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

You're welcome. This is one of the purpose of this forum: to learn and to help

Guest zombiefly
You're welcome. This is one of the purpose of this forum: to learn and to help

i have the same results from those 2 commands so it looks like its working!

thanks for assistance :P

Taken directly from Linux kernel:

"The CFQ I/O scheduler tries to distribute bandwidth equally │

│ among all processes in the system. It should provide a fair │

│ and low latency working environment, suitable for both desktop │

│ and server systems. │

│ │

│ This is the default I/O scheduler."

More info here:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/580

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFQ

No, there's no need to flash both.

Thanks, I read both links but I still don't understand what benefits this gives. It seems like it's only useful if you multitask many apps at the same time?

Thanks, I read both links but I still don't understand what benefits this gives. It seems like it's only useful if you multitask many apps at the same time?

Hi,

I never talked about benefits. May be someone need this scheduler. I can't tell you which is better, and I'll never post a things like "use this, it is the best" and this is why I'm posting info links (here is a new one http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-performa...g/msg35138.html ) . I provided a new feature not available within default HTC release. It is up to you if you choose to use/test it or not. If you decide to test it please share your results.

Same for CIFS. Could be useful for at least one person, the one who asked for it in R8 thread.

Cheers

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi All,

Just flashed the Power Saver Governors mod successfully using ClockworkMod Recovery.

Have rebooted the phone and have noticed the following lines in LogCat.

*** awake ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

*** sleeping ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

Hence, I am assuming that the new governors are installed and working.

I have also installed SetCPU with the profiles I had mentioned earlier. The only change I made was to edit each profile and change the Governor used in each of them from OnDemand to Interactive.

With the earlier setup (just SetCPU without the additional governors) my battery would usually last me about 12 hours (8 AM to 8 PM) with my kind of usage (3G/H always on and Seesmic, GMail, Exchange Email, Some other mail accounts, all updating every 2 hours; intermittent calls)

I will run the new setup over a couple of days and report back how the battery performs.

@snapilica, do you think running SetCPU in conjunction with the Power Saver mod can cause any issues? Please advise.

Regards,

Kiran

Reporting back on my findings. I must say that I haven't really got the results I was hoping for.

I have run the phone with 3G/H always-on, HTC Mail + GMail + Exchange + Yahoo! Mail + Seesmic syncing every 2 hours or so.

• SetCPU Profiles + Powersave/Interactive Governors + Init.d scripts
  • Powersave/Interactive Governors + Init.d scripts (Uninstalled SetCPU)

I have not really found much difference in battery performance in either case. In fact, I was hoping for remarkably better battery performance after installing the governors, but I haven't seen that. My battery still lasts me just a day.

However, if I am using the Phone only with WiFi always on and no 3G/H, then the battery lasts much longer; not two days though.

Regards,

Kiran

Reporting back on my findings. I must say that I haven't really got the results I was hoping for.

I have run the phone with 3G/H always-on, HTC Mail + GMail + Exchange + Yahoo! Mail + Seesmic syncing every 2 hours or so.

• SetCPU Profiles + Powersave/Interactive Governors + Init.d scripts
  • Powersave/Interactive Governors + Init.d scripts (Uninstalled SetCPU)

I have not really found much difference in battery performance in either case. In fact, I was hoping for remarkably better battery performance after installing the governors, but I haven't seen that. My battery still lasts me just a day.

However, if I am using the Phone only with WiFi always on and no 3G/H, then the battery lasts much longer; not two days though.

Regards,

Kiran

Hi Kiran, I think nothing can stop your battery drain. In my case, using only YM and Jabirru drains battery like crazy. Don't expect miracles on such usage.

Guest zombiefly

I've been running these mods for a good few days now, mainly on 3g throughout the day and using the device for playing music. I have no sense rosie on the phone but the underlying sync services are switched to once a day as I use tweetdeck for instant info when i need it. Without any science or monitoring, I find my battery is lasting considerably longer while using the phone for "usual" tasks such as reading tweets/facebook and browsing their links in the browser.

I am not getting anywhere near the 2 days people are reporting. I am however ending the day with 30-40% battery left in my phone which was impossible before. I also find the drain is less than it was when playing angry birds or browsing the web. If I use wifi or gps, the drain is considerably less than it was before.

Overall i'm very happy with the gains this brings. I don't think any HTC phone is ever going to be an iphone as far as battery life is concerned, but then it's not an iphone so I don't really care given the stuff I can do that iphones cant!

thanks for the work on this! :P

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi Kiran, I think nothing can stop your battery drain. In my case, using only YM and Jabirru drains battery like crazy. Don't expect miracles on such usage.

Nope, I wasn't expecting miracles.

But some part of me was hoping and praying that the battery would last through the day without me having to connect the charger again. I guess I was asking for too much :P

Regards,

Kiran

Guest zombiefly
Nope, I wasn't expecting miracles.

But some part of me was hoping and praying that the battery would last through the day without me having to connect the charger again. I guess I was asking for too much :)

Regards,

Kiran

Hi Kiran!

I think this could help you :P

Guest spammyspam
Why you don't try now? If you hasn't yet, flash a R8 rom and try it! It really works!

I'm using a prebake, which I understand still has perflock. Isn't that the case?

Guest snapilica
Sorry, if it DOES have perflock flash? As in this update disables it?

The ideea is that perflock is usually enabled. For this mod to work it needs to be disabled. That means a module must be run that disables perflock.

if "lsmod" command doesn't output something like "perflock_disable" then flash first "signed_perflock_update.zip" and after that "signed_power_update.zip"

Edited by snapilica

Hi Kiran!

I think this could help you :P

That was a good one :-) . Anyway, Kiran, there are almost double capacity batteries available for Desire. Don't know if is allowed to post the brand here.... google is your friend.

Edited by Sub501

Sub501,

Thanks for your great work. I am currently using MCR r9 with the Custom Govenor Settings mod and it certainly seems to improve the battery life!

I must admit to getting a bit confused about the other options available to me now in the kitchen. If I want optimum battery life should I bake a new ROM with -

Custom governor settings AND

CFQ IO Scheduler Module AND

Undervolt Module........??

Edited by ascot17

Guest snapilica
Sub501,

Thanks for your great work. I am currently using MCR r9 with the Custom Govenor Settings mod and it certainly seems to improve the battery life!

I must admit to getting a bit confused about the other options available to me now in the kitchen. If I want optimum battery life should I bake a new ROM with -

Custom governor settings AND

CFQ IO Scheduler Module AND

Undervolt Module........??

You only need Custom governor settings. Undervolt module helps too. CFQ is more performance oriented rather than battery saving.

You only need Custom governor settings. Undervolt module helps too. CFQ is more performance oriented rather than battery saving.

OK thanks for the reply - I will bake all 3 and see how it goes!