[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Guest System of a pWne!^

Sub501, may you add Ext4 support? The kernel modules do already exist. Maybe once you have added it, Paul adds it also to MCR9.

Make sure the start-script in /etc/init.d is ran before all others, so Ext4 can be used for Apps2SD+.

Sub501, may you add Ext4 support? The kernel modules do already exist. Maybe once you have added it, Paul adds it also to MCR9.

Make sure the start-script in /etc/init.d is ran before all others, so Ext4 can be used for Apps2SD+.

Telepathy? Please see updated post #3.

Just let us know if is working for you. You know ... lsmod...

Edited by Sub501

Guest System of a pWne!^

Thank you!

I just installed it. It seems not to load. The error I get when using insmod on the ext4 module is

# insmod /system/lib/modules/ext4.ko

insmod /system/lib/modules/ext4.ko

insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modules/ext4.ko': unknown symbol in module or

invalid parameter

Edit

Found a solution. You have to insmod jbd2 before ext4.

Edited by System of a pWne!^

another suggestion:

personally i have a /data/etc/userinit.d and a 98userinit script in /etc/init.d to put there init scripts (the ones that are no extential for running the phone) so that i dont have to go to adb to modify them, gives a lot more of customisation flexibilitiy

Edited by woti17

another suggestion:

personally i have a /data/etc/userinit.d and a 98userinit script in /etc/init.d to put there init scripts (the ones that are no extential for running the phone) so that i dont have to go to adb to modify them, gives a lot more of customisation flexibilitiy

For sure. If I understand correctly, 98userinit is called post a2sd so ext4 cannot be a candidate for this. We can split something like 00userinit and 98userinit and hardcode called scripts within. Let's see Paul opinion about this. Anyway I want to start working on a small GUI , something like init.d manager - unfortunately time is not my friend...

Edited by Sub501

I'm using rootexplorer to write some files to the /system . I've managed to update/write files in /system in the past. Now when I try to write on it => reboot. Same issue trying to mount from terminal (ssh). Any idea?

I'm on R8

Edited by Sub501

Guest System of a pWne!^

Sub501, your current Ext4 script still insmod ext4 before it insmod jbd2. You have to do it the other way round, or it wont load. At least it was on my desire, where lsmod hasn't shown anything. Then I tried insmod ext4 and it failed (missing symbols). Then I used insmod jbd2 and then insmod ext4 and both got loaded. So ext4.ko depends on symbols laying within jbd2.ko.

At least it was on my desire, where lsmod hasn't shown anything. Then I tried insmod ext4 and it failed (missing symbols). Then I used insmod jbd2 and then insmod ext4 and both got loaded. So ext4.ko depends on symbols laying within jbd2.ko.

same here

Sub501, your current Ext4 script still insmod ext4 before it insmod jbd2. You have to do it the other way round, or it wont load. At least it was on my desire, where lsmod hasn't shown anything. Then I tried insmod ext4 and it failed (missing symbols). Then I used insmod jbd2 and then insmod ext4 and both got loaded. So ext4.ko depends on symbols laying within jbd2.ko.

Fixed. Please let me know if is working.

Hey sub...

can you explain the script systuning? :-)

Quick reply: in the prev version this script was included in 98mod00 . Now I split them by functionality. This script will tune some kernel parameters (IO, buffers, lowmem management). It will also set the sdcard IO elevator to deadline. If you want cifs instead of deadline please install cifs_20100926.zip

More info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

http://groups.google.com/group/android-por...36a9f17a1?pli=1

can manually add the new scripts to my r9 or do I have to wait for Paul to implement them ?

off on holiday tonight and would like to update the scripts :lol:

They're included on the first page, download and flash away according to the instructions given.

Trying to learn here into adding in these modules manuualy

Can I assume that the first command in the update script, makes the second one obsolete?

set_perm_recursive 0 2000 0755 0755 SYSTEM:etc/init.d

set_perm 0 0 0755 SYSTEM:etc/init.d/98undervolt

Or are these permissions different?

A nice link to good explanation would also be nice, I'm a fast learner.

They're included on the first page, download and flash away according to the instructions given.

Thanks mate - I think r9 already had the previous version installed

- I suppose what I am asking is can I install the newer versions using clockworkmod straight over the top of r9 without messing anything up

thanks

mitch

Thanks mate - I think r9 already had the previous version installed

- I suppose what I am asking is can I install the newer versions using clockworkmod straight over the top of r9 without messing anything up

thanks

mitch

Yeah r9 does have the old v's, I meant 1st page of this thread has the new v's. Run the remove script then either the scripts in number order or just the allinonepower script for everything.

Guest camdenhandbrake
It depends on your recovery.

I'm using AmonRa. I read somewhere that there should be an option to toggle signature signing when you boot into recovery under 'Other' but it doesn't appear on my phone.

EDIT: Sorted it. I need to flash the latest version of AmonRa. The toggle signature signing option was added to a later version.

Edited by camdenhandbrake

I'm extremely happy with these scripts, had them baked in with my previous R9.

I've now flashed a new R9 without including the scripts in my bake, as I wanted the v20101002. So, here I am, fresh R9 (with disabled perflock) but how the fudge to I get these scripts to work on my rom? I've downloaded all files 01-05, flashed them all using Clockwork, but I can't see any processor changes in logcat when screen off/on, as I did with the scripts baked in.

The allinone also seems to be MIA...

Thanks for great work and pusing the boundaries.

edit:

1) in logcat, had to filter for "power" or "98_99" instead of "screen" or "governor" as on earlier scripts

2) had to flash perflock_20100926 to get the scripts to work, even though i baked with disabled perflock.

well, all good and working now. thanks!

Edited by einaw

Guest mrshark

could someone explain the EXACT steps to add these scripts to r8 or r9?

i could "cook" a rom, as i've adfree, so i could leave out the old scripts...

THEN, which zip i've to add? someone says all of them in order, other says the allinone zip, that not even is present in first page...

so what?

Guest Sub501
I'm extremely happy with these scripts, had them baked in with my previous R9.

I've now flashed a new R9 without including the scripts in my bake, as I wanted the v20101002. So, here I am, fresh R9 (with disabled perflock) but how the fudge to I get these scripts to work on my rom? I've downloaded all files 01-05, flashed them all using Clockwork, but I can't see any processor changes in logcat when screen off/on, as I did with the scripts baked in.

The allinone also seems to be MIA...

Thanks for great work and pusing the boundaries.

edit:

1) in logcat, had to filter for "power" or "98_99" instead of "screen" or "governor" as on earlier scripts

2) had to flash perflock_20100926 to get the scripts to work, even though i baked with disabled perflock.

well, all good and working now. thanks!

Hi, here is my late reply: you can filter by 'pwrmgt':

logcat | grep pwrmgt

I//system/etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement [pwrmgt]( 3100): *** Screen OFF: Not charging|29%|v[0]|powersave|245000|245000

I//system/etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement [pwrmgt]( 3127): *** Screen ON: Not charging|29%|v[20]|ondemand|245000|806400

I//system/etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement [pwrmgt]( 3159): *** Screen OFF: Not charging|29%|v[0]|powersave|245000|245000

I//system/etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement [pwrmgt]( 3191): *** Screen ON: Not charging|29%|v[20]|ondemand|245000|806400

Guest ascot17
could someone explain the EXACT steps to add these scripts to r8 or r9?

i could "cook" a rom, as i've adfree, so i could leave out the old scripts...

THEN, which zip i've to add? someone says all of them in order, other says the allinone zip, that not even is present in first page...

so what?

+1..... !!

Sub501,

Thanks for all your hard work, but I don't understand the instructions in the first post either. You refer to all the mods being mandatory and you refer to:

*** all_in_one_power_mods_YYYYMMDD.zip

... but there is no *** all_in_one_power_mods_YYYYMMDD.zip in the first post.

If I am baking a new ROM, please specify which mods need to be included. Many thanks!