[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Guest NeoEpsilon
I don't get it? Is it something not ok or?

As of now, everything is really good...

It's just I remembered a slightly lower mA in my stock kernel...

Then again, maybe it's my memory messing with me... :)

In my opinion the mA will vary just because we also have different applications running in the background. For example during my facebook/twt background sync or k9mail direct push check the consumption is raising. In the end different usages will generate different results.

I agree totally...

As in my case though, I didn't install any additional apps...

If I have the time, I'll try to flash my previous ROM... :)

Guest Zarch1972
In my opinion the mA will vary just because we also have different applications running in the background. For example during my facebook/twt background sync or k9mail direct push check the consumption is raising. In the end different usages will generate different results.

I think its useful to confirm that you are using as little juice as you hope you are.

If you were seeing high mA figures, it could lead you exvestigate if you had some rogue background process running.

Guest NeoEpsilon
I believe we also need to post the display type... :(

AMOLED and SLCD should have different power consumption...

HTC Desire-SLCD

Sub501 Kernel 2.6.32.25

Radio 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2

My own ROM (2.13.707.1)

Brightness 35% + Wi-Fi ON

Undervolt+Interactive Governor (I only copied and load undervolt.ko, configs.ko, bcm4329.ko)

Screen ON, Idle 152-159mA

Screen OFF, Idle 6-7mA (never lower than 6mA)

Angry Birds, 296-310mA

If I recall correctly, using "original" kernel and Interactive...

I've seen an average of 145mA @Idle, Screen OFF is the same 6mA though...

This is interesting because when using Sub501, I'm undervolting aggresively...

950 925 19200

950 925 128000

950 925 245000

975 925 384000

975 925 422400

1000 950 460800

1025 975 499200

1025 975 537600

1050 975 576000

1075 1000 614400

1100 1025 652800

1125 1050 691200

1150 1075 729600

1175 1075 768000

1200 1125 806400

1200 1125 844800

1225 1175 883200

1225 1175 921600

1250 1175 960000

1250 1175 998400

Any thought..? :)

I haven't got any time to test previous ROM because I deleted my nandroid backup...

A little update...

Tried Sub501's kernel's stock undervolt value...

Screen ON, Idle 156-163mA

Screen OFF, Idle 6mA (never lower than 6mA)

Angry Birds, 316-328mA

So, my aggressive undervolt value is an improvement... :(

Though relatively small compared to an undervolted Desktop PC... :lol:

A rough estimate of at least 3~7% power improvement...

Though off course, the variation and deviation in power consumption caused by background activities makes it difficult to know the "accurate" value...

Still, any improvement is an improvement... :lol:

I makes me think twice to aggressively undervolt my phone though...

Will keep my undervolt value for a while longer to monitor things... :)

Would love to see other members result on this...

Thanks again Sub501 for your work...

Almost forgot...

How do I use smartass governor..?

Tried changing the powermanagement.conf to smartass and it failed to recognize it... :(

Tried changing the powermanagement.conf to smartass and it failed to recognize it... :)

Yes you can't yet. I have to update the script to define a special function for smartass. No time to do this till the end of the week I think. Don't worry it will be available.

amoled

kernel 2.6.32.25

powersave 245/ondemand max 576-998 depending on battery-charge

wifi tx power reduced 10mW

rom 2.14.207.1

baseband 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14

cifs+configs module

with sub501 unmodified undervolt.conf and additional -25mV, doing nothing special

i get with with screen off: 3mA-6mA

with screen on 10%/wifi on about 98-140mA

with screen on 40%/wifi on about 165-170mA

950 925 19200

---

1250 1225 998400

What type of wifi driver are you using? Standard G?

How can I set these parameters? "wifi tx power reduced 10mW" :)

What type of wifi driver are you using? Standard G?

How can I set these parameters? "wifi tx power reduced 10mW" :)

manually: iwconfig eth0 txpower 10dBm

type

iwconfig eth0

to see if it changed (10dBm = 10mW, 20dBm = 100mW)

or permanent with sub501 init-script

/system/etc/init.d/98_97_wifipower

+

config file

/data/etc/wifipower.conf

iwconfig is a compiled binary from sub501, see his first and second post in this thread

Edited by woti17

Guest Zarch1972

I was messing about yesterday with different colour backgrounds.

Using a dull grey background compared to the bright multi-coloured HTC standard balls one dropped my juice usage by around 100mA in general desktop usage. :)

Be good to get that confirmed by other people...... would be interested to see how much extra juice the "live" backgrounds drink too.

A great little app for testing things like this out.

I was messing about yesterday with different colour backgrounds.

Using a dull grey background compared to the bright multi-coloured HTC standard balls one dropped my juice usage by around 100mA in general desktop usage. :)

Be good to get that confirmed by other people...... would be interested to see how much extra juice the "live" backgrounds drink too.

A great little app for testing things like this out.

It is known that live/coloured wallpapers drain a lot o juice. I'm using a balck background with a pattern, don't know the name but it is in HTC wallpapers.

Even you have R8/G8/B8 it will be translated in some voltage applied to each led. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-matrix_OLED

"The amount of power the display consumes varies significantly depending on the color and brightness shown. As an example, one commercial QVGA OLED display consumes 3 watts while showing black text on a white background, but only 0.7 watts showing white text on a black background"

manually: iwconfig eth0 txpower 10dBm

type

iwconfig eth0

to see if it changed (10dBm = 10mW, 20dBm = 100mW)

or permanent with sub501 init-script

/system/etc/init.d/98_97_wifipower

+

config file

/data/etc/wifipower.conf

iwconfig is a compiled binary from sub501, see his first and second post in this thread

There was only a minor piece of information missing. :)

It kept saying no such device...

So I figured out the wifi should be ON for this manupulation!

Changing the values with typing would be restored after a reboot?

Thanks for advice!

-Endrus

There was only a minor piece of information missing. :)

It kept saying no such device...

So I figured out the wifi should be ON for this manupulation!

Changing the values with typing would be restored after a reboot?

Thanks for advice!

-Endrus

no, it's gone after disabling and re-enabling wifi

you can use the script for wifipower in the #1 post of this thread to automatically set it to a custome value every time wifi gets enabled

(inside the init-scripts zip file, one for /system/etc/init.d and one for /data/etc to set the value)

Guest David_P

@sub501,

I am running the built in kernel/govs that Paul has in the r9 Rom Kitchen. If I want the updated version do I just flash both zip files from Post #1, first the Kernel and then the init scripts?

Many thanks in advance

David P

Guest Arty Marty
@sub501,

I am running the built in kernel/govs that Paul has in the r9 Rom Kitchen. If I want the updated version do I just flash both zip files from Post #1, first the Kernel and then the init scripts?

Many thanks in advance

David P

I believe so... in one of the posts I read said that it overwrites the old version... :)

I believe so... in one of the posts I read said that it overwrites the old version... :)

Order doesn't matter but I recommend:

- flash the kernel

- flash the mods (without rebooting)

Guest beady_uk

Sub501 Can you tell me, is there something in your kernal that manages memory? Its because i have tried other kernals but they stop my yahoo mail app from auto retrieving emails. It seems that the yahoo mail app is being killed from memory and it only seeks the new emails when i open the app and it loads back into the memory. I just want to know if there is something in that is killing the app to save memory. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Sub501 Can you tell me, is there something in your kernal that manages memory? Its because i have tried other kernals but they stop my yahoo mail app from auto retrieving emails. It seems that the yahoo mail app is being killed from memory and it only seeks the new emails when i open the app and it loads back into the memory. I just want to know if there is something in that is killing the app to save memory. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

DalvikVM memory management has a different philosophy. Most of the GUI apps are developed using the Android SDK. These apps are running upon DalvikVM and the VM is in charge of app life cycle.

Very basic answer: applications will be removed from memory when the VM decides that foreground app needs more memory. Removing app from memory will keep the app state that will be restored when you switch back to that app.

You may tune some VM params in /etc/sysctl.conf and if you 're using my mods also in /data/etc/sysctl.conf

Guest beady_uk
DalvikVM memory management has a different philosophy. Most of the GUI apps are developed using the Android SDK. These apps are running upon DalvikVM and the VM is in charge of app life cycle.

Very basic answer: applications will be removed from memory when the VM decides that foreground app needs more memory. Removing app from memory will keep the app state that will be restored when you switch back to that app.

You may tune some VM params in /etc/sysctl.conf and if you 're using my mods also in /data/etc/sysctl.conf

Thanks for the answer sub501 but im not very technical with this stuff so can you tell me is it easy to

Is this to make it leave the yahoo mail app alone?

Is there any way to just leave the kernal as stock and just have the overclocking feature like in the R9 kitchen?

Thanks for the answer sub501 but im not very technical with this stuff so can you tell me is it easy to

Is this to make it leave the yahoo mail app alone?

Is there any way to just leave the kernal as stock and just have the overclocking feature like in the R9 kitchen?

Nope.

This kernel is based on stock + some patches (overclock, undervolt, more governors and so on). Every new feature added can be disabled from init mods so you can be as close you can to the stock.

Sub could you explain some settings or is everything written in config files?

The things that aren't exactly clear to me are:

- Configurable module loader (config: /data/etc/modules.conf) <-- I don't what that does

- Configurable undervolt voltage table (config: /data/etc/undervolt.conf) <-- Where can we find more voltages for Desire.

- Configurable powersave (screenstate scaling) script (config: /data/etc/powermanagement.conf). Smartass governor is now supported. <-- What's the difference between governors and what governors are available.

- Configurable Sys tuning I/O , readahead for both NAND and SDCARD (config: /data/etc/tuning.conf) <-- I don't what that does

I presume that your voltage table lowers the voltage and desire's clock but I'm not exactly sure. So if I use an interactive governor on screen on and powersave on screen of will my desire become more sluggish because of the lover voltage?

Sorry for the wall of questions. :)

Sub could you explain some settings or is everything written in config files?

The things that aren't exactly clear to me are:

- Configurable module loader (config: /data/etc/modules.conf) <-- I don't what that does

- Configurable undervolt voltage table (config: /data/etc/undervolt.conf) <-- Where can we find more voltages for Desire.

- Configurable powersave (screenstate scaling) script (config: /data/etc/powermanagement.conf). Smartass governor is now supported. <-- What's the difference between governors and what governors are available.

- Configurable Sys tuning I/O , readahead for both NAND and SDCARD (config: /data/etc/tuning.conf) <-- I don't what that does

I presume that your voltage table lowers the voltage and desire's clock but I'm not exactly sure. So if I use an interactive governor on screen on and powersave on screen of will my desire become more sluggish because of the lover voltage?

Sorry for the wall of questions. :)

Just look in the config files and you'll find out.

I have checked the config files but I still don't understand the difference between different governors like smartass, ondemand... Is there some detailed info on all of them to know which one would suit me the best?

I have checked the config files but I still don't understand the difference between different governors like smartass, ondemand... Is there some detailed info on all of them to know which one would suit me the best?

It is up to you to decide which governor suit your needs.

First start with post #1 then read the kernel documentation or Wikipedia and also search the Internet to see peoples opinion about governors. I'm still using ondemand/powersave governors (also present in default /data/etc/powermanagement.conf). Other people are interested in interactive or smartass. Finally you may try them and see which is better for your usage. For smartass you can find /data/etc/powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample . You have to rename it to /data/etc/powermanagement.conf .

For other governors you can replace "=ondemand" with the governor you want (eg: "=interactive") save the powerment.conf then reboot and see how is going. For screen off , nothing is better than powersave.

Guest NeoEpsilon
It is up to you to decide which governor suit your needs.

First start with post #1 then read the kernel documentation or Wikipedia and also search the Internet to see peoples opinion about governors. I'm still using ondemand/powersave governors (also present in default /data/etc/powermanagement.conf). Other people are interested in interactive or smartass. Finally you may try them and see which is better for your usage. For smartass you can find /data/etc/powermanagement-smartass.conf.sample . You have to rename it to /data/etc/powermanagement.conf .

For other governors you can replace "=ondemand" with the governor you want (eg: "=interactive") save the powerment.conf then reboot and see how is going. For screen off , nothing is better than powersave.

Already downloaded and modified your new InitMod, currently testing smartass and running fine...

I noticed you changed the default scheduler to Deadline from CFQ, any reason behind that..? :)

IIRC CFQ is faster only in EXT3 partition, CMIIW...