07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

@Paul

Is there any way you can make the EXT2/3 partition exposed to Linux (I use UBUNTU) and Root Explorer, etc. This feature is provided on the AOSP Rom's and I find it useful.

Thanks

MT

You cannot mount an ext partition in both Android and Ubuntu at the same time. You have to umount ext partition first in Android and you can have problems with running apps. This procedure could cause instability and potentially many problems.

You can mount ext partition releasing SD card and using a SD card reader. But be careful with uid and perms when adding files.

You cannot mount an ext partition in both Android and Ubuntu at the same time. You have to umount ext partition first in Android and you can have problems with running apps. This procedure could cause instability and potentially many problems.

You can mount ext partition releasing SD card and using a SD card reader. But be careful with uid and perms when adding files.

well you are right with the external mounting, but there are funny things to do ...

LEAVE the app / app-private / dalvik-cache alone EVER!

with root explorer you have rw access to /system/sd

create a directory on /system/sd ie /system/sd/externmount

on linux mount /system/sd/externmount remote on a mountpoint in your local filesystem as sshfs

ie

sshfs [email protected]:/system/sd/externmount local_mount_point

voila! the ext2/ext3 partition minus app, app-private, dalvik-cache on linux

ssh is default installed on ubuntu

for sshfs:

apt-get install sshfs

Edited by woti17

Guest Mr Taylor

Thanks.. works a treat

Edited by Mr Taylor

Guest Kiran J. Holla
You can also extract just the updated app and push it with ADB, I've done it for the new Gmail... But I understand you.

Can you provide detailed instructions?

I actually tried just copying the GMail.apk, Maps.apk and Street.apk from a fresh R9 bake to my R8 over adb shell while in recovery.

However, that did not work either - the phone wouldn't boot after that and I had to Nandroid back.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Kiran J. Holla

I actually tried just copying the GMail.apk, Maps.apk and Street.apk from a fresh R9 bake to my R8 over adb shell while in recovery.

However, that did not work either - the phone wouldn't boot after that and I had to Nandroid back.

Regards,

Kiran

Hmmm... Not sure what is going on here.

I just re-tried updating GMail to 2.3 and it seems to have worked! This time round, I did not touch Maps.apk or Street.apk and just focussed on Gmail.apk.

Did a rm /system/app/Gmail.apk through adb-nilezon shell and then installed it from the market.

My first surprise was when my phone booted successfully after the adb session. Second surprise was when the install from the market went without hitch!

Now, only if I can get Maps and Streetview also installed from the Market, that would be great!

Regards,

Kiran

Guest The Virus 2013

Regards,

Kiran

I made the following:

C:adb shell

# mount /system

# mount /sdcard

# cp /system/app/Gmail.apk /sdcard/GmailBKP.apk

# cp /sdcard/Gmail.apk /system/app/Gmail.apk

# exit

C:adb reboot

And that's it! Of course, the apk you want to copy must be on the sdcard...

Guest The Virus 2013
Hi all there is a new Ril uppdate for the new radio should i applay it on the R9 rom what is the benefits of flashing the Ril?

Ril is a sort of link between the system and the radio. It can work without, but it's best to have it.

Ril is a sort of link between the system and the radio. It can work without, but it's best to have it.

Installed after your advice yesterday.

Wonder what updates will be provided on Monday, have held off re-baking yet.

Guest justaguy84
Hey Paul,

1. There is a lot of israeli people that using your rom(because your roms is the best!),

but we have 1 problem. the hebrew.

As we know, there is a problem with the RTL, but our programmers, built a Hebrew Fix.

Can you add the fix to your kitchen please?

and if you can to fix the problem of the weather in this fix? because when we connect the phone to the computer the weather disappear from the home and when we move to the other screen, its back. why? can you fix thet and put in your kitchen please?

The Hebrew Fix:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I1RQPVEY

2. there is still the albumthumbs problem, it means that if we have 1 song with albumthumb, all the songs with the same albumthumb. why?

3. Can you add to the kitchen the Galaxy S theme&sense?

Paul, Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamir.

Thanks a lot for the link!!!!

Works great on my r9, would love to see it in all of paul's roms...

Guest Frank_123

FC with Titanium Backup!

Had baked a new ROM today, nothing special. Wiped the phoine and used ROM Manager to update. Since that time I had permanently Force-Closes with Titanium Backup when I entered its "Batch-Mode"! Even with installing the new Titanium Backup from the market I could not solve this. Re-installed the ROM (this time via the Fake-Flash bootloader) still the same.

I now have downgraded to a v.9 ROM from last week and this one is now perfectly restoring everything through Titanium. Anyone else had this problem?

Hi, the link is broken.... "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

XDA had a Raid failure and lost some post. Maybe thats the reason for the invalid link.

Grobie.

Edited by Grobie

Guest The Virus 2013

I see in some custom kernels that there is an audio hack for the Desire, is it possible to add it to the kitchen ? It seems that in some lands, due to legislation, we have a poor low volume in the headsets... and that's my case unfortunately.

I tried to plug it to a pair of speakers without amplification, and the sound was better than with the onboard speaker, but a lot lower.

Guest Yepayepa

About the bootanimation, I've made some tests. It seems it expect the bootanimation.zip in /system/media or /system/etc/customer. I tried to symlink and copy the .zip file there, but I only get blank screeen (which is *better* than the default "ANDROID" bootscreen). I think the bootanimation.zip file format has changed. Does anyone have a working bootanimation ?

Cheers.

Edited by Yepayepa

About the bootanimation, I've made some tests. It seems it expect the bootanimation.zip in /system/media or /system/etc/customer. I tried to symlink and copy the .zip file there, but I only get blank screeen (which is *better* than the default "ANDROID" bootscreen). I think the bootanimation.zip file format has changed. Does anyone have a working bootanimation ?

Cheers.

from pauls update script:

symlink /data/local/bootanimation.zip SYSTEM:customize/resource/bootanimation.zip

are you sure you have the r9/r8 mcr rom?

Guest Yepayepa
from pauls update script:

symlink /data/local/bootanimation.zip SYSTEM:customize/resource/bootanimation.zip

are you sure you have the r9/r8 mcr rom?

Indeed I'm running R9. A week ago, my baked was working fine.

I'll try this symlink, but since I tried to copy the zip itself in two expected locations (and I got black screen instead of animation), I'm not sure that will fix that.

Cheers.

Guest Yepayepa

Another issue, but I'm not sure it's ROM related, maybe radio. We can't write to recovery partition anymore. I've spend two hours to update to clockworkmod 2.5.0.7, using ROMManager, unrevoked-3.21, or by hand with flash_image, with the same result, errors (no space left), and after looking deeper, it seems NAND is RO.

FYI: HBOOT 0.75

RADIO: 5.10.05.23

Guest Yepayepa
Indeed I'm running R9. A week ago, my baked was working fine.

I'll try this symlink, but since I tried to copy the zip itself in two expected locations (and I got black screen instead of animation), I'm not sure that will fix that.

Cheers.

Well, the symlink is there, as I expected (it's a fresh baked ROM).

For the ones who bake with modaco bootscreen, do you really get it ?

Cheers.

Guest Yepayepa

Cheers.

Here are the traces:

I/SystemServer(  241): Entered the Android system server!

I/SystemServer(  241): Entropy Service

I/SystemServer(  241): Power Manager

I/SystemServer(  241): Activity Manager

I/ActivityManager(  241): Memory class: 24

W/zipro   (  253): Unable to open zip '/system/etc/customer/bootanimation.zip': No such file or directory

D/HtcBootAnimation(  253): Get cid:ORANG202

D/HtcBootAnimation(  253): filepath:/system/customize/CID/ORANG202.xml

D/HtcBootAnimation(  253): Load /system/customize/CID/default.xml 

E/HtcBootAnimation(  253): Could not load xml file '/system/customize/CID/default.xml'. Error='Failed to open file'. 

W/zipro   (  253): Unable to open zip '/system/media/bootanimation.zip': No such file or directory

E/HtcBootAnimation(  253): Could not load xml file '/system/media/bootscreen/boot_animation.xml'. Error='Failed to open file'. 

E/HtcBootAnimation(  253): Can't load config from XML

Guest The Virus 2013

Cheers.

Yep, and I rebaked after every updates... Still there...