07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Subject Delta
So it wasn't psychological, when I found Transfer speed being a bit slower..

I'd like to retest speeds against a version without the A2SD SD card corruption Fix.

How do I go about removing this fix?

I am not so sure that fix is all of the problem, with my own SD card, I noticed that even before the fix was made, that I was only getting 2.5-3 MB/s so it is obviously to do with the way the ROM operates, all that the fix does is changes the way the partitions are mounted, it shouldn't really have that much effect on the speed.

As for the battery thing: The drain appears to occur even when I have the phone on idle, with the screen off. I do have Wifi N enabled, with no sleep but that never seemed to drain the battery before. I will go to bed, and wake up about 5-6 hours later with the phone in standby mode, and about 30% of the battery would have been drained (and this is on a 2600 mAh battery). I have never found lowering the screen brightness to make a massive amount of difference.

Hmm, quite strange, are you sure is related to the power script? Normally when the screen is on the interactive governor min245/max1Ghz is used. Are you playing online streams or from non-local devices (samba, ftp)?

Right now I'm playing some FLACs from my SDCARD (class6) using andless player, screen is off (245Mhz)... no problems.

UPDATE

Playing mp3s (256kbps) from SDCARD, screen off, default player - no problems.

I'm sure it is not a power script problem.

Na am not convinced at all that the scripts cause this issue, I have had SetCPU running CPU at the lowest level for the last month when screen was off and music has never skipped, usually listen for 30 to 90 mins most days to mps off the sd. Last FM app on the other hand, lol, that sht wouldn't play fully with 10 million GiggaWatz processing capabilities :lol:

I am not so sure that fix is all of the problem, with my own SD card, I noticed that even before the fix was made, that I was only getting 2.5-3 MB/s so it is obviously to do with the way the ROM operates, all that the fix does is changes the way the partitions are mounted, it shouldn't really have that much effect on the speed.

As for the battery thing: The drain appears to occur even when I have the phone on idle, with the screen off. I do have Wifi N enabled, with no sleep but that never seemed to drain the battery before. I will go to bed, and wake up about 5-6 hours later with the phone in standby mode, and about 30% of the battery would have been drained (and this is on a 2600 mAh battery). I have never found lowering the screen brightness to make a massive amount of difference.

Re: Battery. Do you have the latest radio 32.48...5.11? I'm sure that's my battery issue although will give it a full week before deciding so. I have Sub501's gov's running (installed a day after the radio) so was expecting gain not loss.

I don't know how you guys use your phone but my desire has 8 hours of wifi, some mail, calls and messages and I get two days out of my battery. Well two days and some change.

Screen is set on auto.

that mirrors my experience on both R8 and R9. Screen not at auto - I leave it at a fairly low brightness setting - but otherwise everything is on except Bluetooth (wifi, 3G,location, syncing to 5 email accounts, weather, Facebook and Twitter syncing). I get ~36 hours before I'm down <10%. Listen to music on the way to and from work, a few calls, texts etc during the day.

GPS kills the battery though! :-) I've also noticed that anytime I refresh the Google Listen playlist I have to turn off and on afterwards as that also seems to cause battery issues.

Radio is 5.10.05.23

Edited by Paul..

Guest theblueraja

A couple of points, i tried the Cyranogen mod out of interest yesterday, it kind of brings home how good sense is B)

However, one thing that Cyranogen has going for it is that it is MUCH smoother, far more responsive and just feels kind of silky :lol:

By itself it wasn't enough for me to stay, i prefer sense (Friendstream (hey, i like it sue me), Contact search by dialling, the launcher etc)

Still it does make me wonder why its so much quicker.

Edited by theblueraja

Guest skinnypupp

I totally prefer Cyanogen, except all the bugs and the crappy camera app.

BTW LauncherPro has a friendstream imitation that is actually quite a bit better than friendstream.

Guest skinnypupp
I suppose the music skip is happening with screen off. It is somehow normal as the CPU is running at 245Mhz . A quick fix is to instruct powersave script to use ondemand (default htc setting if I remember) with max freq set to 1Ghz. Of course you can play with the maxfreq value and find a value that allow music play. This way you may save some juice. Possible freq values for Desire are listed on top of the cfg file.

modify /data/etc/98_99_powermanagement.conf and set ondemand for screenoff:

SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"

SLEEP_GOVERNOR_FREQENCY_MAX="998400"

Save then reboot.

Hmm I don't have that file.

Guest le_lutin

BTW LauncherPro has a friendstream imitation that is actually quite a bit better than friendstream.

Sounds good. In what way is it better?

Guest WhiT3Kr0w

I'm actually using MCR r9 with LauncherPro+ and I use its widgets. I have to say that the Friends widgets is nice, but it's not as good as FriendStream. FriendStream integration with Twitter and Facebook is much better done. To be honest, HTC have quite a lot more people and hours to work on it compared to the guy that releases Launcher Pro :lol:

Thumbs up for Launcher Pro.

And keep up the nice work Paul & co. B)

Guest skinnypupp
I'm actually using MCR r9 with LauncherPro+ and I use its widgets. I have to say that the Friends widgets is nice, but it's not as good as FriendStream. FriendStream integration with Twitter and Facebook is much better done. To be honest, HTC have quite a lot more people and hours to work on it compared to the guy that releases Launcher Pro :lol:

Thumbs up for Launcher Pro.

And keep up the nice work Paul & co. B)

I disagree, the LP+ widget sends you to the native Twitter and FB apps, which are both quite a bit better and faster than HTC's Peep/Facebook/Friendstream apps. It has a better font too, and allows you to do replies and posts easily from the widget. It's faster, and uses less memory. Really, it's better in every way imaginable.

Guest skinnypupp
Are you using latest 20100926 scripts? See my updated thread.

I don't know, I just enabled the check box in the rom kitchen. I assumed that it installed it for you... What is your updated thread?

Guest Shiva Ramabadran

Paul,

Are you planning to release a cut of the SenseHD for the desire ? Its tempting to try something like the link below to see what I would get if I upgrade from the desire to the desire HD. However, if you are planning to do it, I'd rather wait.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=791315

Looking forward to your refresh of r9 WIP this week, so I can get back on it. Lots of new stuff piling up (new sub501 scripts, new radios, new google apps, new froyo build FRG83, etc.) that should keep us busy for weeks. ;-)

Thanks for the great work!

Paul,

Are you planning to release a cut of the SenseHD for the desire ? Its tempting to try something like the link below to see what I would get if I upgrade from the desire to the desire HD. However, if you are planning to do it, I'd rather wait.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=791315

Looking forward to your refresh of r9 WIP this week, so I can get back on it. Lots of new stuff piling up (new sub501 scripts, new radios, new google apps, new froyo build FRG83, etc.) that should keep us busy for weeks. ;-)

Thanks for the great work!

There's no point to include a leaked, beta version Sense, when the real one will be available soon :lol:

Do you have any links to prove that claim?

There's no link to that... When the HD will be released, then the one can dump that rom and make it available to Desire users.

There's no link to that... When the HD will be released, then the one can dump that rom and make it available to Desire users.

Yes but you sounded (well typed) like you're claiming that will get a real version (official version). That's why I asked for the link.

But imho I don't see any significant changes or benefits with the new sense. I would try it but I think that the old Sense will always work better on our phones.