07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

hey. I cant get into recovery with R9, when i boot and power with vol down and choose recovery and then it shows red triangle, then i connect usb and start recovery-windows.bat which usually takes me to recovery but now it just says abd server is out of date? what should i do?

help plz

Guest logicalextreme

Just a quickie, out of interest -- has anybody successfully cached map data with the squrl/brut modded Maps and then used Maps in a completely offline situation? I'm going away to the continent soon, and last time I went I had a full offline Nokia maps on my N95 which was perfect for the job. But I tested out the cache on the squrl/brut mod and once the connections were severed the cache was not loaded.

One of the promo videos for the Desire HD featured an "official" offline Maps caching method -- anybody got any ideas whether this is a Google or an HTC thing? And if it's Google, an ETA on the feature?

Guest baggepinnen
Just a quickie, out of interest -- has anybody successfully cached map data with the squrl/brut modded Maps and then used Maps in a completely offline situation? I'm going away to the continent soon, and last time I went I had a full offline Nokia maps on my N95 which was perfect for the job. But I tested out the cache on the squrl/brut mod and once the connections were severed the cache was not loaded.

One of the promo videos for the Desire HD featured an "official" offline Maps caching method -- anybody got any ideas whether this is a Google or an HTC thing? And if it's Google, an ETA on the feature?

Try Orux Maps. It has options to save maps of your specified area to SD and works very well.

I disagree, the LP+ widget sends you to the native Twitter and FB apps, which are both quite a bit better and faster than HTC's Peep/Facebook/Friendstream apps. It has a better font too, and allows you to do replies and posts easily from the widget. It's faster, and uses less memory. Really, it's better in every way imaginable.

Performance Wise I agree with you. But for a regular User the User experience is better for some with HTC's implementation.

I can understand someone liking HTC's Sense more, but dropping sense out of the ROM also helps in getting an overall snappier experience.

Went back to 17_2 radio and that already gave a small improvement.

But now that i'm playing more with PowerSave governer in SetCPU & dimming the screen i'm seeing even better battery use especially while using the device.

It's a matter of playing around and making the choice of what is an acceptable slow down for you to save more juice.

Guest sucramco

I have not charged my phone in 32 hours. Currently it is on 59%. The one thing I would say is, battery life for me is the best I have had. I haven't had major use, 10 calls, Twitter checks, some Facebook use and a couple of goes on Fruit Ninja. On previous roms I would still need to charge every 12 hours.

When downloading the rom, perflock and IPv6 are disabled with the custom governor settings installed. No other additional modules are used. If don't know what they do, I won't install them.

I have downloaded and installed the latest radio however.

I have not charged my phone in 32 hours. Currently it is on 59%. The one thing I would say is, battery life for me is the best I have had. I haven't had major use, 10 calls, Twitter checks, some Facebook use and a couple of goes on Fruit Ninja. On previous roms I would still need to charge every 12 hours.

When downloading the rom, perflock and IPv6 are disabled with the custom governor settings installed. No other additional modules are used. If don't know what they do, I won't install them.

I have downloaded and installed the latest radio however.

Which new Radio?

Haven't tried the 32.48.xxxxx yet myself.

Guest logicalextreme
Try Orux Maps. It has options to save maps of your specified area to SD and works very well.

Thanks very much! Should help me out greatly. I'm aware that o2's roaming data tariffs have been updated after a kick from the EU but they're still horrific, so this should be just the ticket. Now to work on getting a day's battery out of the bastard thing!

Guest renegade027
Thanks very much! Should help me out greatly. I'm aware that o2's roaming data tariffs have been updated after a kick from the EU but they're still horrific, so this should be just the ticket. Now to work on getting a day's battery out of the bastard thing!

There's an app on the market, called Maverick - supports off-line maps, which you need to create with ajava based map creator on your PC. Organizes offline maps in a very clever way, but we are still talking tens of thousands of tiles - about 2k each, that take forever to transfer.

Also caches maps already downloaded when online. The free version, however, doesn't work in landscape mode.

Yes but you sounded (well typed) like you're claiming that will get a real version (official version). That's why I asked for the link.

But imho I don't see any significant changes or benefits with the new sense. I would try it but I think that the old Sense will always work better on our phones.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then :lol:

R9 is a great improvement over R8, at least for me. No more FC's at random intervals and the phone seems a lot faster and smoother. Still have the same problem with the signal strength bars going up and down like a yo yo but apart from that no problems. I have left sense out this time and don't miss it at all!

Only thing is the lack of a clock on the home screen. I have it set up with the power widget at the top, weather in the middle and four shortcuts at the bottom. This has left a nice space for a clock but for the life of me I can't get one that fits. They are all either too small (shortcut) or too large for the remaining space. What I'm looking for is a rectangular digital clock. Anybody got any ideas?

*edit* Found Retro Clock. Now life is perfect!! :-)

Edited by Jerry13

R9 is a great improvement over R8, at least for me. No more FC's at random intervals and the phone seems a lot faster and smoother. Still have the same problem with the signal strength bars going up and down like a yo yo but apart from that no problems. I have left sense out this time and don't miss it at all!

Only thing is the lack of a clock on the home screen. I have it set up with the power widget at the top, weather in the middle and four shortcuts at the bottom. This has left a nice space for a clock but for the life of me I can't get one that fits. They are all either too small (shortcut) or too large for the remaining space. What I'm looking for is a rectangular digital clock. Anybody got any ideas?

*edit* Found Retro Clock. Now life is perfect!! :-)

I was gonna suggest Tajm widget, but glad you found something suitable.

In case you're interested......

http://www.appbrain.com/app/net.bajawa.tajm

David P

Guest logicalextreme
There's an app on the market, called Maverick - supports off-line maps, which you need to create with ajava based map creator on your PC. Organizes offline maps in a very clever way, but we are still talking tens of thousands of tiles - about 2k each, that take forever to transfer.

Also caches maps already downloaded when online. The free version, however, doesn't work in landscape mode.

Thanks renegade, I'll give them both a go. I'm not bothered by landscape, I rarely use it. I guess I could zip the tils and unzip them again on the phone...it'll still probably take a while but hey.

Guest Audioboxer

Anyone know for sure what causes the slow USB transfer, is it definitely A2SD+? If so I might turn it off, I don't use many apps and the phones internal memory should be enough for me.

Guest logicalextreme
Anyone know for sure what causes the slow USB transfer, is it definitely A2SD+? If so I might turn it off, I don't use many apps and the phones internal memory should be enough for me.

Not sure, but I just never mount the SD card through the cable on a standard phone boot. If you didn't want the bother of turning A2SD off (it may come back and bite you in the future!) you could consider the ways I primarily transfer files:

1) Use Astro's SMB module to transfer over WLAN

2) Use Webkey to access the SD card's structure

3) Boot the phone into recovery and mount the SD card safely

The SMB and recovery modes are pretty fast actually, but the recovery option obviously means waiting for your phone to reboot. This might be more appropriate if we can get Quick Boot on the ROM at some point, but I use this method quite happily at work.

Guest Audioboxer
Not sure, but I just never mount the SD card through the cable on a standard phone boot. If you didn't want the bother of turning A2SD off (it may come back and bite you in the future!) you could consider the ways I primarily transfer files:

1) Use Astro's SMB module to transfer over WLAN

2) Use Webkey to access the SD card's structure

3) Boot the phone into recovery and mount the SD card safely

The SMB and recovery modes are pretty fast actually, but the recovery option obviously means waiting for your phone to reboot. This might be more appropriate if we can get Quick Boot on the ROM at some point, but I use this method quite happily at work.

Thanks for the tips :lol:

When in Armon Recovery and mounting the SDCard it still goes quite slow (enable USB-MS the correct option???). Think I'll try method 1.

Guest aslsthlm
R8? I'm still on R8, HBOOT 0.80 (ALED).

Any speciffic steps, phone config before proceed?

No, just burn the image, boot and follow the instructions...

I flashed r9, I dont se any problem flashing r8.

Guest logicalextreme
Thanks for the tips :)

When in Armon Recovery and mounting the SDCard it still goes quite slow (enable USB-MS the correct option???). Think I'll try method 1.

USB-MS is the right option, yeah. I tend to use the stock recovery and activate it through adb, and it seems okay. Not sure about Clockwork or Amon, I've got Clockwork but don't really use it.

It's always possible that you just have a slow card, or that the phone itself is buffering the transfer, but I don't really have any stats to compare to. I'm using a class 2 16GB card and transfer rates are just okay, nothing special. I couldn't find any 16GB cards with a class in between 2 and 10 that didn't have to be imported for a daft price, and maybe I'm just used to slow USB transfers on everything because I'm a cheapskate!

The other possibility is that you're transferring lots of small files which is always a bitch over USB, and with SD cards. I transferred a gig of music over WLAN last night in about ten minutes though, which is fine for me. Be warned that my Astro bombs out instantly if I attempt to transfer multiple directories at once -- I have to stick everything I want (subdirectories are fine) into a single parent directory on the PC if I want to transfer everything in one go.

I did think of a fourth option as well -- if you're okay with the time it takes to turn your phone off and on again for the recovery method, you could always go back to basics and use a card reader!