07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Zarch1972
When will Gmail 2.3 be implemented, I see it says on the changelog 2.3 has been added but mine says 2.2.1 still.

It is in r9. I baked mine a week ago and have Gmail 2.3

Guest Elemetrix
I had this too. I built a ROM in the kitchen and when I installed it there was no MoDaCo bootanimation and rom manager and titanium backup weren't there (They were baked in). I am now using my r9 build from the 20th as everything later seems to be broke!

Will try again when Paul next updates the r9 kitchen

David P

Baked 3 times last night and didn't get anywhere. Will try and dig out my R8 later today :lol:

Guest logicalextreme

I think he's been focusing on getting the newer models opened up. This should work out better for us in the long run as he can hopefully bring some goodies back over to our redundant old Desire-beasts!

Guest aslsthlm
I think he's been focusing on getting the newer models opened up. This should work out better for us in the long run as he can hopefully bring some goodies back over to our redundant old Desire-beasts!

No, he is on to ZTE Blade.

Guest sucramco

Providing they are the new Desires. LOL. The problem is where does it all stop? How much better can our "classic" Desire get?

For me battery life is perfect. Just the occasional music played being choppy and bluetooth music also being choppy. This possibly has nothing to with the bluetooth though more like the music player or the phone's ability to handle music. Lastly the camera and the camcorder. You cannot move in the shot or the pic is blurry, that is just any slight movement. The camcorder is just not worth recording in 720p. All in all this points to getting the Desire HD. I cannot afford one at the moment though.

Guest aslsthlm
And? If he wants/thinks that it's worth upgrading, then he'll do that. Don't be rude, man! :lol:

Rude ? what´s wrong with you ? I only said that he is working on ZTE Blade

Rude ? what´s wrong with you ? I only said that he is working on ZTE Blade

Nothing. But this morning atz 09:53 you posted another one...

You know what? Forget it... Maybe I'm a bit sensitive today :lol:

Edited by LouiS22

Guest aslsthlm
Nothing. But this morning atz 09:53 you posted another one...

You know what? Forget it... Maybe I'm a bit sensitive today B)

Ok, all forgiven and forgotten.. :lol:

Edited by aslsthlm

Redundant?! Only got mine in July and they've only been out since Feb this year haven't they?!

Guest logicalextreme
Providing they are the new Desires. LOL. The problem is where does it all stop? How much better can our "classic" Desire get?

... All in all this points to getting the Desire HD. I cannot afford one at the moment though.

Redundant?! Only got mine in July and they've only been out since Feb this year haven't they?!

I think the "classic" Desire is being effectively as good as it'll get now. Sure, software improvements can continue to be backported to it but remember that the phone's little more than a Nexus with an HTC logo on it, and Google specifically said they wouldn't have another phone made because the Nexus had done its job -- that is, given Android the kickstart it needed to take over the world. That's not to say the Desire isn't a great phone -- it most certainly is -- but phone companies need to get more models out to generate demand.

This isn't a bad thing in my opinion as it improves the technology available at any given time. Every month many people's contracts end and there will always be a fantastic Android handset available to them at that time. We really can expect a better phone to be released by our manufacturer of choice around every six months or so, but that doesn't mean we have to have it! We just feel the desire (no pun intended) for it. I'm only on a 9-month contract, so could easily pick up a Desire HD, but I really don't think it's as much of an improvement as to warrant shelling out the handset price, even if I could get it for £285 again. The processor is better, but it's still technically the same maximum speed. There's a bit more RAM, some internal storage -- which none of us need yet if we're using A2SD -- and an 8MP camera, which is practically redundant in comparison to a 5MP camera (given that MP ratings are measurements of area).

Looking to the future, we can expect dual-core, quad-core, better and more devoted GPUs and more innovations. I am more interested in the follow-up to the Desire HD than the HD. And a key consideration for my next phone will be the guarantee that it's ready to handle Gingerbread and/or Honeycomb well.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest logicalextreme

For me battery life is perfect. Just the occasional music played being choppy and bluetooth music also being choppy. This possibly has nothing to with the bluetooth though more like the music player or the phone's ability to handle music. Lastly the camera and the camcorder. You cannot move in the shot or the pic is blurry, that is just any slight movement. The camcorder is just not worth recording in 720p. All in all this points to getting the Desire HD. I cannot afford one at the moment though.

The Desire HD will probably use more battery when you're using the camera. I'm not sure about the CPU as it may be more efficient, but there's more RAM and internal storage to manage, and a bigger screen, which will probably reduce battery life. Batteries simply can't keep up with the improvements in microtech at the moment. They haven't improved much in years. With my standard Desire I already know that when I unplug it at 08:30, the battery will be dead by around 18:00. But that's just the way things are now. A lot of us are getting used to constant charging at work!

The music can be choppy occasionally on mine, not sure about Bluetooth. But from what I've seen when using my Desire as a music player, Android just isn't very good for music in my opinion. It's like they tacked it on as an afterthought. I don't mind this too much, after all it is a phone, but I don't expect too much from it. The volume is locked down to the point that I can barely hear anything through headphones, no equalizer is built in, and the way it handles incoming calls when music is playing and the headphones are removed is poor to say the least. This may be improved with Gingerbread but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm going to buy a Sansa for my music instead.

As for the camera -- you got me here. Once the HD is in shops, we need to go in and test it. I've taken perfectly fine pictures with my Desire but they are very prone to blurring. I think the close-up issue is purely down to the fact that phone manufacturers (and Google, apparently) think that autofocus is acceptable. I have read through a few sites discussing the possibility of writing an application to control the camera focus properly, but last time I checked nobody had managed it. The functionality may simply be missing from Android itself at the moment, although I'm a little too wise now to presume that controls will make it into Gingerbread.

If the camera is handled much better on the HD, then maybe it's something to consider. But for the moment I'm just telling myself that manual camera focus and decent music playback are just not a part of Android at the moment. We should look to the future (and possibly harangue Google) on issues like this.

Like I said above, I could afford a Desire HD if I cut back on things like food, cigarettes and, erm, rent and bills for a month (!), especially if I sold my Desire, but I don't feel the need at the moment. It's got a solid userbase and the more of us that stick with it, the more demand there will be to continually improve it.

Yeah, I'm not really doing any work today so I can let loose on forums.

Guest templebar
Google specifically said they wouldn't have another phone made because the Nexus had done its job -- that is, given Android the kickstart it needed to take over the world.

Can you point me to that announcement please

Guest Subject Delta
I just do S-OFF flash, but i still cannot directly update busybox in booted desire. Any idea?

Have already mount system as RW access....

You tried mounting the partition using the command that I have given? The only other thing I can suggest is to download the updated version of busybox from your computer and use ADB to install it to the phone.

Guest logicalextreme
Can you point me to that announcement please

Sure thing, the interview's online here -- about two-third of the way down the interview, there's the following from Mr Schmidt himself:

Initially, Google felt that they needed to build a device to help Android along so they worked with HTC to create the Nexus One handset. Schmidt says: “The idea a year and a half ago was to do the Nexus One to try to move the phone platform hardware business forward. It clearly did. It was so successful, we didn't have to do a second one. We would view that as positive but people criticised us heavily for that. I called up the board and said: 'Ok, it worked. Congratulations - we're stopping'. We like that flexibility, we think that flexibility is characteristic of nimbleness at our scale."

Of course, they could always reverse position on this. One situation I could think of that would merit this would be if manufacturers started to get out of hand, so Google could sort of "rein them in" and point out how it "should" be done -- but this conflicts with more recent comments regarding the very nature of open source itself. Google don't want to tell people or manufacturers how to do their thing. They want everybody to have a piece of Android.

Guest le_lutin
As for the camera -- you got me here. Once the HD is in shops, we need to go in and test it. I've taken perfectly fine pictures with my Desire but they are very prone to blurring. I think the close-up issue is purely down to the fact that phone manufacturers (and Google, apparently) think that autofocus is acceptable. I have read through a few sites discussing the possibility of writing an application to control the camera focus properly, but last time I checked nobody had managed it. The functionality may simply be missing from Android itself at the moment, although I'm a little too wise now to presume that controls will make it into Gingerbread.

I use the camera 360 app. It has a soft shutter (i.e. touch a button on screen) which I find makes for less blurry pics (somehow pressing in the optical trackpad always sort of jolts the phone for me). Camera 360 also has an image stabilisation feature meaning it won't take the picture until it's sure that the camera is not shaking.

Guest logicalextreme
I use the camera 360 app. It has a soft shutter (i.e. touch a button on screen) which I find makes for less blurry pics (somehow pressing in the optical trackpad always sort of jolts the phone for me). Camera 360 also has an image stabilisation feature meaning it won't take the picture until it's sure that the camera is not shaking.

Hey, thanks! I'm always up for an alternative to stock programs. I shall check it out forthwith.

EDIT: I also forgot that when I was trying to take pictures of fruit I was growing about a month ago, I accidentally discovered a semi-manual focus if you hold the area of the screen that you want to focus on. It'll then take the picture, meaning no shake from pressing the trackpad. Still sucks for close-up though, and devoted manual focus would be best.

Edited by logicalextreme

Hey guys,

I know it is a bit off-topic but is there any way to get something like this on the current lockscreens?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/goto/com.innowebtech.g0t0

There is this app, you might have heard of it or not but I just came across yesterday and it basically shows you your missed calls/e-mails/SMS count,etc on your lockscreen. It is kinda neat. I was wondering if there is any way to get some way to get this info on my current lockscreen which is I believe called the Vanilla, basically not the HTC one but the other one.

Guest shadamehr
Another bloody update to Maps! 4.5.1 is out. Paul?

No Paul needed.

Unlike the previous certificate errors, THIS new version of Maps today DID let me update/install fine.

So give this one a try first, as it DOESN'T seem to suffer the same problems as previous versions!

Guest TheUntouchable
No Paul needed.

Unlike the previous certificate errors, THIS new version of Maps today DID let me update/install fine.

So give this one a try first, as it DOESN'T seem to suffer the same problems as previous versions!

I get a wrong signature error with this version too..