07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kiran J. Holla
No Paul needed.

Unlike the previous certificate errors, THIS new version of Maps today DID let me update/install fine.

So give this one a try first, as it DOESN'T seem to suffer the same problems as previous versions!

Can you help with steps you took to get this successful update?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest shadamehr
Can you help with steps you took to get this successful update?

Regards,

Kiran

Er yes - I baked a ROM on the 29th with the new Gmail App in (and thus the then most up to date Google Maps too).

Today I spotted on Twitter that there was a new version of Google Maps 4.5.1 (#4665) - now according to my "About" option on my actual device itself.

So I followed the link for a Manual Market install, and it let me install fine.

Seriously. Hence where I am even now, reading the version info from.

So weird if others can't update...?

Guest logicalextreme

Ah. I haven't actually baked an r9 one yet, I've been holding out for the final release; but I can confirm that I can't update to 4.5.0 or 4.5.1 from r8 with the brut/squrl 4.4 modded Maps. Same with Gmail (although I stuck that in an update.zip), and Goggles 1.1 and 1.2 still have the FC issue that some have been reporting. I might bake an r9 now and see how I get on with it, but I need something stable for when I go away.

Guest logicalextreme

I'm doing a full Titanium/NAND backup now and have baked a ROM without Maps or GMail included. I'll try sticking them on from the Market manually once flashed and let you know.

Guest sucramco
I'm doing a full Titanium/NAND backup now and have baked a ROM without Maps or GMail included. I'll try sticking them on from the Market manually once flashed and let you know.

I am not going to save all the apps plus data, just the ones I have got off the market. I am sure otherwise the ones that play up or force close will then over write the ones on the rom. I maybe wrong but there is some method to my madness.

Guest logicalextreme
I am not going to save all the apps plus data, just the ones I have got off the market. I am sure otherwise the ones that play up or force close will then over write the ones on the rom. I maybe wrong but there is some method to my madness.

I usually back everything up just in case (wish I could say the same about my PC data...but I've got permanent bruises, I've kicked myself so many times!), then restore everything, and then deal with problems as I come to them. As far as I remember I've only had a problem with Swype using this method, which was solved by reinstallation. Oh, and my contact pictures all disappeared last time, but that's a separate issue that has a workaround...and I don't care enough about them to implement it! (The pictures, that is; not my friends).

Is there any way to set a live wallpaper when you do not have them baked in to your rom? I unchecked live wallpapers because I never use the default ones anyway. I thought it would just not include those files, but it seems like I can't use any live wallpapers at all, or at least the option is not there.

Guest logicalextreme

Hm. Wiped, flashed, waited through the HTC logo and now I've got the shining Android logo, which I've never had before. I hope this won't hang around for too long, I'd like to listen to music on my way home!

EDIT: Well, it was my first time seeing a Nand backup in action, anyway. Shame it won't work. Ack.

Edited by logicalextreme

I updated mine manually from the market, you should be able to as well

Same here, just updated directly from the market.

Note the ROM etc I'm running in my sig. I did have to manually install Gmail 2.3. Loathe to make any changes now as in ROM flashing until an update is released in the R9 ROM that I don't already have.

Guest sucramco
Hm. Wiped, flashed, waited through the HTC logo and now I've got the shining Android logo, which I've never had before. I hope this won't hang around for too long, I'd like to listen to music on my way home!

EDIT: Well, it was my first time seeing a Nand backup in action, anyway. Shame it won't work. Ack.

This is what was on my friends I did the other day. Is there anything missing you may have selected in the build? I had to download Rom Manager and Titanium separately from market place as they were missing from the rom.

Guest logicalextreme
This is what was on my friends I did the other day. Is there anything missing you may have selected in the build? I had to download Rom Manager and Titanium separately from market place as they were missing from the rom.

It never booted so I couldn't find out. I think it's probably because I didn't wipe the EXT partition on the SD card. My only reason for this was that I couldn't back it up from recovery, only the internal memory. The nandroid restore didn't work either, so I've wiped everything and am reflashing the r9 to at least get a working phone back out of it. I'll let you know when I get home whether Titanium or Rom Manager are missing.

EDIT: Just realised I didn't specify some of the advanced options that I wanted -- including perflock disable! I wonder if this conflicted with the governor module and caused the brickage?

EDIT 2: Reboot loop now. I'm going home.

EDIT 3: Can't access recovery. If anybody would like to leave bricking tips for me to access when I get home, please feel free. I am very sad.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest Elemetrix

So is that another person where the kitchen hasn't baked the correct ROM?

I don't know if I should try an R8 ROM or stick with this R9 ROM and see what it skipped in the options.

Edit: Nevermind. With all the options cleared it won't have installed Apps2SD+ will it. :-/

Edit 2: Ok well running the 'check'sh' script suggests Apps2SD is work...

So did the kitchen just pick options at random?

So far looks like I got latest Maps and Gmail.

But no ROM Manager, No Spare Parts, No Ad Free, No ASE + Scripts.

And I got the wrong boot screen and some stuff installed I deselected.

It's like I got someone elses ROM!

However ignoring the software I didn't ask for (Stocks, Peep) this might just be good enough.

Edited by Elemetrix

Guest sucramco

I don't know if I should try an R8 ROM or stick with this R9 ROM and see what it skipped in the options.

Edit: Nevermind. With all the options cleared it won't have installed Apps2SD+ will it. :-/

I am pretty much scared to install the rom I just baked now.

Guest logicalextreme

That never even occurred to me. I'm unable to tell as I couldn't boot! I'm just trying to unbrick now, then will go back to r8. If I can. Otherwise I guess I'm going back to my K800!

Guest theodorius123

I am using the actual version, too. and to be honest, I really like this android-boot-logo. much better then all the others I saw before!

I had gmail 2.3 without any problems after flashing this ROM...

but I am really looking forward for a new update - bit excited if all those days without any news from paul will result in a lot of new features/fixes.

Guest sucramco

Well installed rom fine. Was on the Android (shame) boot screen for a bit. Just rebooting. Now going back into recovery to in install my favorite theme. Rebooting again to make sure. Everything seems fine so far. Will update when have gone through set up and Titanium. So far so good.

Guest logicalextreme
Well installed rom fine. Was on the Android (shame) boot screen for a bit. Just rebooting. Now going back into recovery to in install my favorite theme. Rebooting again to make sure. Everything seems fine so far. Will update when have gone through set up and Titanium. So far so good.

Glad it's not bricking everybody's! I can't even adb or create a goldcard. Think this might be the end!

Glad it's not bricking everybody's! I can't even adb or create a goldcard. Think this might be the end!

My bake from today got me into htc loop, baked a new one now and will try, newer happened before.

Guest logicalextreme
My bake from today got me into htc loop, baked a new one now and will try, newer happened before.

Careful! I bricked mine before 5 this afternoon and have ONLY JUST got it back up!

Guest sucramco
Careful! I bricked mine before 5 this afternoon and have ONLY JUST got it back up!

Good to here.

Everything worked fine however. Forgot to save two email contacts from work, cannot afford to lose them as they will get me free games from two of the top publishers. Basically I had to restore the last rom, save the contacts and now restore back to the new one. It's all fun and game. One thing I will say is, all the google stuff works fine and updates. The other good thing is everything seems smoother and faster. Should have wiped when installing the r9 in the first place. I got me new case-mate tough today as well, it's like having a new phone, almost.

Edited by sucramco