07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tobias Rydholm
Careful! I bricked mine before 5 this afternoon and have ONLY JUST got it back up!

Hello. Glad to hear you got your phone back up. May I ask how you did it? I have had quite a few bootloops my self with the recent R9 roms, but never so bad I couldn't access recovery mode.

Guest harolds5
Good to here.

Everything worked fine however. Forgot to save two email contacts from work, cannot afford to lose them as they will get me free games from two of the top publishers. Basically I had to restore the last rom, save the contacts and now restore back to the new one. It's all fun and game. One thing I will say is, all the google stuff works fine and updates. The other good thing is everything seems smoother and faster. Should have wiped when installing the r9 in the first place. I got me new case-mate tough today as well, it's like having a new phone, almost.

How come you don't have your contacts synced with a gmail account?

Edited by harolds5

Guest logicalextreme
Hello. Glad to hear you got your phone back up. May I ask how you did it? I have had quite a few bootloops my self with the recent R9 roms, but never so bad I couldn't access recovery mode.

Heh, cheers -- I just deleted a sentence complaining about my Desire being bricked again after a fresh r9 bake, but it just completed!

What I noticed when it was really screwed was that the ADB device didn't show in device manager (I use Win7 at work). Instead there were 3 unknown devices called "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM". Because no ADB device was detected, ADB couldn't connect to the phone (therefore no recovery access). Because I'd wiped, I didn't have access to ClockworkMod. By Googling that device name I got to this thread. After following the steps there (I continued to use the r5-desire-alt files I originally used to root my phone), I eventually got it back up and running.

I'm going to say something now though -- if you haven't still got the goldcard you got when you first rooted, make another. I was low on cards at the time I made mine, and the goldcard images and card IDs I had were on my old HDD which died after a fall. Luckily I found the card I used (I thought maybe my girlfriend had it in her mp3 player) and found the image in one of my email inboxes. If it hadn't been for this, I don't know for sure that I could have got it up and running -- you need ADB to get the CID string to make the goldcard, and I didn't have ADB! There may be a way to make a goldcard using Linux, but I couldn't find any details on that; and I've read that the goldcard image may be generated from the combination of the card ID and your phone's device ID. So make a goldcard now and keep it just in case!

Guest logicalextreme

One of the many things I don't understand about reflashing, can anybody answer this question for me?

I always reset, wipe cache and dalvik-cache, and now I wipe the A2SD partition too, before flashing.

But I just BRICKED MY PHONE, wiped all of those several times, reflashed a fresh r9 ROM and all of my applications from r8 show in the app drawer. This always happens -- it's not a problem, I restore them again and the data with Titanium, but does anybody know exactly how it's deciding that these applications are installed? Does it pick up the Titanium backups and restore them during first boot?

Guest sucramco
How come you don't have your contacts synced with a gmail account?

Never thought about it, very strange question.

I normally sync the contacts to the PC but this time they didn't work.

Guest Elemetrix

Well I am quite confused now. I haven't been able to reflash another R9 ROM but this R9 ROM was ok once i'd replaced all of the stuff I needed. But I just tried to do a ROM backup through ROM Manager and I get the same error screen with the phone and red question mark.

I don't know what to do as I need to flash so i can swap this SD card for another but it won't let me..

Interesting.. Just installed an old Clockwork recovery and it's backing up!

Flashing now with a ROM from last night.

Latest ROM Manager Clockwork mod is broken. Installed the pre 2.5 and it appears to work.

Edited by Elemetrix

Guest I. C. Monsters

Just tried to install the Car Home update, and it won't install. Much like the Gmail and Maps issue. I removed Car Home via Titanium Backup and now I can't install from the market. Any clues?

I've been with R9 wip 20/Sep 17:00 BST since 20sep, it was okay but I had to re-install the rom today due to some f-up by yours truly.

I'm now on the R9 wip 21/Sep 22:30 BST - and it's not stellar. So I took the opportunity to try out opendesire and cyanogen - which was even crappier, MCR is so much better, even if the latest r9 wip is terrible.

Lots of stuff is not working as it should. People have already mentioned it all earlier. Thought I'd just share. Sorry this is not very useful.

I'd recommend that people go with r8 until r9 wip is working again.

/rant

Looking forward to the next update on this.

Edited by einaw

Guest Elemetrix

Hmm are apps such as ROM Manager/Spare Parts/Titanium all installed to the SD when flashing the ROM? Flashed with one SD card present. But then needed to switch to the new one, however all the apps options no longer show up which now makes it a tad difficult to partition the new card (without ROM Manager)

Guest Kiran J. Holla
One of the many things I don't understand about reflashing, can anybody answer this question for me?

I always reset, wipe cache and dalvik-cache, and now I wipe the A2SD partition too, before flashing.

But I just BRICKED MY PHONE, wiped all of those several times, reflashed a fresh r9 ROM and all of my applications from r8 show in the app drawer. This always happens -- it's not a problem, I restore them again and the data with Titanium, but does anybody know exactly how it's deciding that these applications are installed? Does it pick up the Titanium backups and restore them during first boot?

Having read through the thread and particularly your experiences, I feel that you may have formatted the wrong partition on your SD Card.

If you wanted to wipe using ClockworkMod Recovery, you were probably looking to format your SD-EXT partition and not your SDCARD partition. But, you ended up formatting your SDCARD partition and left SD-EXT untouched. The files related to the applications installed using A2SD (legacy, not Froyo) reside in the SD-EXT partition. That may explain why even after a wipe you found the Apps still installed. You also did mention that at a time you couldn't access ClockworkMod. That tells me that you DID format your SDCard FAT Partition, since ClockworkMod recovery actually resides on the FAT partition and is unpacked from there when you boot into Recovery.

But then again, all I am doing here is speculating.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Having read through the thread and particularly your experiences, I feel that you may have formatted the wrong partition on your SD Card.

If you wanted to wipe using ClockworkMod Recovery, you were probably looking to format your SD-EXT partition and not your SDCARD partition. But, you ended up formatting your SDCARD partition and left SD-EXT untouched. The files related to the applications installed using A2SD (legacy, not Froyo) reside in the SD-EXT partition. That may explain why even after a wipe you found the Apps still installed. You also did mention that at a time you couldn't access ClockworkMod. That tells me that you DID format your SDCard FAT Partition, since ClockworkMod recovery actually resides on the FAT partition and is unpacked from there when you boot into Recovery.

But then again, all I am doing here is speculating.

Regards,

Kiran

Hm. I wiped the ext partition from default recovery. Maybe that was it? Maybe it should have been done with Clockwork? I still don't understand what it was, but it definitely wasn't the FAT partition that was wiped. I backed it up to begin with, of course, because I trust data less and less every day, but even after everything I've done the data's all still there. That partition's where the Titanium backups were, but I didn't realise it was where Clockwork was stored. I mentioned Clockwork because I'd heard (possibly incorrectly) that it was possible to boot into Clockwork from a shutdown phone with (I think) home+power. At the time I couldn't access CW, I couldn't boot my phone at all, which explains why I couldn't access CW recovery from the ROM Manager app.

Titanium was the only thing I could think of -- that because I'd baked it into the ROM, it somehow did a restore on first boot. The weird thing is that if I opened any application, it would act as if it were a fresh install (no data, default settings etc). When I told Titanium specifically to restore all apps+data, everything went back to how it was on r8, apart from the annoying little things like Swype and AdFree that needed a bit of work.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest logicalextreme

Oh, and the original reason I went to r9 early was to let you guys know how Maps and Goggles worked.

Maps 4.5.1 installed fine from the Market (I did not bake it into the ROM)!

Goggles 1.2 still gives me a FC. Same with Goggles 1.1, but Goggles 1.0 is okay.

Guest Shizophren
Just tried to install the Car Home update, and it won't install. Much like the Gmail and Maps issue. I removed Car Home via Titanium Backup and now I can't install from the market. Any clues?

For me too! Did anyone have the car home apk of the new version? So we can try to push it via adb, like with the gmail app.

Guest logicalextreme
For me too! Did anyone have the car home apk of the new version? So we can try to push it via adb, like with the gmail app.

I think anybody who's managed to install it should be able to grab the apk file off their phone. I'm not sure whether the apk is deleted if installation through the market fails. I would install and grab it, but I didn't bake it in and don't see it on the Market. That I can see.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hm. I wiped the ext partition from default recovery. Maybe that was it? Maybe it should have been done with Clockwork? I still don't understand what it was, but it definitely wasn't the FAT partition that was wiped. I backed it up to begin with, of course, because I trust data less and less every day, but even after everything I've done the data's all still there. That partition's where the Titanium backups were, but I didn't realise it was where Clockwork was stored. I mentioned Clockwork because I'd heard (possibly incorrectly) that it was possible to boot into Clockwork from a shutdown phone with (I think) home+power. At the time I couldn't access CW, I couldn't boot my phone at all, which explains why I couldn't access CW recovery from the ROM Manager app.

Titanium was the only thing I could think of -- that because I'd baked it into the ROM, it somehow did a restore on first boot. The weird thing is that if I opened any application, it would act as if it were a fresh install (no data, default settings etc). When I told Titanium specifically to restore all apps+data, everything went back to how it was on r8, apart from the annoying little things like Swype and AdFree that needed a bit of work.

Thanks for your help!

Apologies, but I can't really tell you what happened then. I have never faced such a situation where-in I perform a wipe and still find that the Apps are installed.

As for Clockwork, yes it resides in the clockworkmod folder on the SD Card. After booting into HBOOT and selecting Recovery, the phone will go into the Red Triangle with an exclamation mark. On this screen, all you need to do is to press the Volume Up Button + Power Button. This would bring up the Blue Console where you select Apply update.zip. That should get you into CW Recovery.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Apologies, but I can't really tell you what happened then. I have never faced such a situation where-in I perform a wipe and still find that the Apps are installed.

As for Clockwork, yes it resides in the clockworkmod folder on the SD Card. After booting into HBOOT and selecting Recovery, the phone will go into the Red Triangle with an exclamation mark. On this screen, all you need to do is to press the Volume Up Button + Power Button. This would bring up the Blue Console where you select Apply update.zip. That should get you into CW Recovery.

Regards,

Kiran

Ah! I was previously unaware of that method, until last night when I had to use it as part of unbricking. Unfortunately when I first tried it the problem was that the SD card was not mounted, so I couldn't apply any updates! Luckily with a goldcard (I was very, very, very lucky to still have the image and the card) I was able to get a base rooted ROM on the phone and remount the SD using the fastboot executable from the r5-desire-root-alt package. All is well again now!

Does anybody else find that it's a little hard to see the battery percentage with the smooth mod? I previously used SuperCircleBattery which had the text in white. Unfortunately I know if I flash this I'll lose the other icons, so I'm thinking of editing smooth. If it works out I'll upload it as an alternative.

EDIT: Meh, I'm too tired to figure these xmls out.

EDIT 2: Oh, found the pngs.

EDIT 3: Oh, screw it.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Ah! I was previously unaware of that method, until last night when I had to use it as part of unbricking. Unfortunately when I first tried it the problem was that the SD card was not mounted, so I couldn't apply any updates! Luckily with a goldcard (I was very, very, very lucky to still have the image and the card) I was able to get a base rooted ROM on the phone and remount the SD using the fastboot executable from the r5-desire-root-alt package. All is well again now!

Does anybody else find that it's a little hard to see the battery percentage with the smooth mod? I previously used SuperCircleBattery which had the text in white. Unfortunately I know if I flash this I'll lose the other icons, so I'm thinking of editing smooth. If it works out I'll upload it as an alternative.

EDIT: Meh, I'm too tired to figure these xmls out.

EDIT 2: Oh, found the pngs.

Why the manual work? Go to the Online Kitchen for Super Circle and just upload the framework_res.apk from your ROM. The rest will be taken care of!

The only thing that I noticed using that Kitchen is the Stock Boot animation is lost and replaced by a simple ANDROID on a black screen. Doesn't bother me much because it looks good anyway.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Why the manual work? Go to the Online Kitchen for Super Circle and just upload the framework_res.apk from your ROM. The rest will be taken care of!

The only thing that I noticed using that Kitchen is the Stock Boot animation is lost and replaced by a simple ANDROID on a black screen. Doesn't bother me much because it looks good anyway.

Regards,

Kiran

Oh crap, I forgot about that! Yeah, it was only last night that I twigged that the Android logo was actually replacing the "quietly brilliant" screen from HTC. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. I think it's a bit faster now, because the "quietly brilliant" screen had to finish the entire animation (presumably they did this to mask the fact that it takes a year and a half for Sense to start up), whereas the Android screen just disappears once it's ready.

Cheers for reminding me about the circle kitchen!

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Oh crap, I forgot about that! Yeah, it was only last night that I twigged that the Android logo was actually replacing the "quietly brilliant" screen from HTC. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. I think it's a bit faster now, because the "quietly brilliant" screen had to finish the entire animation (presumably they did this to mask the fact that it takes a year and a half for Sense to start up), whereas the Android screen just disappears once it's ready.

Cheers for reminding me about the circle kitchen!

Ah looking back and re-reading the thread, I realize that the boot animation issue isn't something to do with the Super Circle Kitchen.

No worries. I am sure Paul will fix the issue as soon as he gets back to the Desire.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Ah looking back and re-reading the thread, I realize that the boot animation issue isn't something to do with the Super Circle Kitchen.

No worries. I am sure Paul will fix the issue as soon as he gets back to the Desire.

Regards,

Kiran

Heh, used the kitchen and smooth icons are gone. Figured as much, but the smooth thread on xda is full of people who want white text, so I'll keep reading through. As for the boot animation -- I have a feeling that you'll get that animation if you include the smooth mod. If you get the smooth mod zip and look through the images, that boot animation is in there. I'm only just figuring out how these frameworks work so I could be wrong.