07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest marc.d

All who read this (and i hope Paul does too).

I found that changing the connection type in R9 WIP to HTC sync does result in the HTC Sync application not to connect to the Desire anymore, so the PC to Desire sync application doesn't work anymore.

For me, setting the ROM back to R8 solves this issue, so i can happily sync my contacts again.

Is there anybody else here aware of this issue?

As long as this one is not solved, i think i stick to R8 (which i was pretty happy with)

Regs,

marc.d

Guest fredaroony
I'm sure Paul is a really nice guy but this is now a business. In fact a very nice little earner. So I paid my £10 and what have i had so far?

NOT MUCH really.

He aint here cos he is out rounding up the next gang of mugs at £10 a shot.

Well, I guess It's just a business and we all have to eat.

I feel the same way really. Over two weeks now and nothing.... Wish I had never donated because basically got nothing for it...

Guest thunder62
I feel the same way really. Over two weeks now and nothing.... Wish I had never donated because basically got nothing for it...

Guys this kind of unfair. There are no SLAs tied to the ad free account and the work that was done so far really justifies more than the amount.

However, I am also thrilled to get the next version...

Guest thunder62

Guys this kind of unfair. There are no SLAs tied to the ad free account and the work that was done so far really justifies more than the amount.

However, I am also thrilled to get the next version...

Guest aslsthlm

Chill out, it´s not only Desire Paul has to work on..

Guest sucramco
Chill out, it´s not only Desire Paul has to work on..

aslsthlm is dead right.

I think this seems to be a newbie thing, where they complain when they cannot have what they want. Paul not only has to keep us happy, but all his other modaco rom users on different phones as well. There are only five days in a working week and how many phones?

The other dev's in the other forums, well that's all they focus on.

You do get quality roms from Paul, and after all who rooted the Desire? This is why we donate, imagine the intial ground work, the out lay on phones and all for our benefit. It's about time some of you thought about this before you make your point.

Paul is very respected in this scene, so please some of you behave. ;)

I know how I feel when customers are so blinkered when they cannot get there own way when they come into my shop. It's too personal sometimes. :)

Edited by sucramco

Guest htcnick
Try rebaking and applying that ROM. If a no-go, try r8 or restore to your backup, and Google for a zip with the Gmail 2.3 apk that you can flash in recovery.

Thanks for that. I will Google it and give it a try. But what about when r10 is released, how will I install that.

Guest sucramco
If you followed Paul's twitter, for example, You would see he is doing quite a lot lately, actually.

Tonight he has made a lovely bakewell tart. Damn, I CAN JUST TASTE THAT.

Guest dareal

Paul, could you enable config_filterTouchEvents please?

its improve our crappy multi touch experience and an enabled status could improve our gaming experience in multi touch games.

i guess you already know this limitation, hopefully you can improve our experience (as you did it already! :))

more infos about it:

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-o...l-problems.html

It will get confused with quick multitouch movements across the axis, its not just a problem with the N1, but anything using the Synaptics Cleartouch 2000 digitiser.

The digitiser can track multiple touches, but it doesn't assign unique ID's to each one, so when the X or Y axis is crossed, the phone loses track of where each touch goes to, which leads to the transposing of the touch inputs.

There is a switch in the Android OS that is set to True for the G1, but False for everything else and apparently Cyanogen has tested toggling it on the nexus, and says that the touch problems all but go away (apparently still has a tendency to snap-to-axis, but doesn't flip them), it remains to be seen if this will be toggled by google or if it's going to be a rooted-only modification.

There's loads more detail on this on xda-developers. It will affect any phone with the Cleartouch 2000 digitiser, which HTC fit as default. The HTC Desire, Nexus 1 definitely have the problem, but the Motorola Droid doesn't use the same digitiser, and thus doesn't have the axis flipping problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=39

Interestingly, there is a hack in the framework (which is enabled on the Droid, but not on the N1) that can be enabled by setting config_filterTouchEvents. With it disabled (the default), I get the axis-flipping problem. Enabling it fixes this, but there are still issues with the points "sticking" when they cross.

thanks and keep it up!

Guest chucky.egg

Just installed an R9 ROM, but now I find that I don't get any 3G (I have a femtocell, and normally get max bars on 3G)

Anyone else having that issue?

Is it the radio?

:)

EDIT - Should have said, I do still get 2G and GPRS (yuk) and I'm on Vodafone UK

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest harolds5
Thanks for that. I will Google it and give it a try. But what about when r10 is released, how will I install that.

did you try to wipe data and cache when installing? the problem of getting stuck on the boot animation is usually caused (at least in my case) from low or not enough internal memory available.

Guest aslsthlm
Just installed an R9 ROM, but now I find that I don't get any 3G (I have a femtocell, and normally get max bars on 3G)

Anyone else having that issue?

Is it the radio?

:)

EDIT - Should have said, I do still get 2G and GPRS (yuk) and I'm on Vodafone UK

Try go to menu/settings/wireless and network/mobile network/network mode, change it to only WCDMA, and when you see 3g, you can change it back to GSM/WCDMA.

Worked for me..

Edited by aslsthlm

Guest chucky.egg
Try go to menu/settings/wireless and network/ mobile network change it to only WCDMA, and when you see 3g, you can change it back to GSM/WCDMA.

Worked for me..

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow - the SureSignal has now decided it would be a good time for an update :)

EDIT:

SureSignal now working again and I have a 20th century connection speed!

I can't confirm it worked as it may have been the SS at fault all along, but Thanks for the advice

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest dunbad
aslsthlm is dead right.

I think this seems to be a newbie thing, where they complain when they cannot have what they want. Paul not only has to keep us happy, but all his other modaco rom users on different phones as well. There are only five days in a working week and how many phones?

The other dev's in the other forums, well that's all they focus on.

You do get quality roms from Paul, and after all who rooted the Desire? This is why we donate, imagine the intial ground work, the out lay on phones and all for our benefit. It's about time some of you thought about this before you make your point.

Paul is very respected in this scene, so please some of you behave. ;)

I know how I feel when customers are so blinkered when they cannot get there own way when they come into my shop. It's too personal sometimes. :)

Hmmm difficult coz I see both points of view. I would suggest that these wip roms are not updated "very frequently". That's just my opinion for someone who's put his hand in his pocket compared to some other devs and what they receive and how often they update their desire roms. If r9 gets moved to r10 as is, that will be sometime for an update. I know Paul is busy on other devices, it brings in more coin. Id do the same.

But at the same time Paul is bloody good. He bought us root, all these other roms receiving donations, Paul deserves his share aswell as gratitude.

Overall, good value? Hmmm difficult in my opinion. Then again, if Paul gets that camera working on that hd Rom! Then the answer would be an easy yes!!

Guest Kiran J. Holla

My 2 cents on this value discussion:

• I buy a plain-jane Desire from Carphone Warehouse.
  • I start exploring the Android platform and find lots of useful applications to install
  • I soon run out of usable memory and am scratching my head as to what next
  • Then, I travel to India. I soon realize that I don't have access to paid apps anymore! More head scratching follows.
  • Paul comes along and provides me with a rooted ROM at no cost!
  • Now, I am rooted and hence I get Market Enabler and start installing apps again
  • Paul solves the memory space problem too - I get A2SD+ (mind you, I haven't paid Paul a cent as yet)
  • Paul offers many enhancements, tweaks and general niceties as part of his MCRs - again at no cost!
  • I choose to pay £10 so that I can get access to the Kitchen - mind you, if I did not want access to the kitchen and was happy with the pre-bakes I wouldn't have to pay Paul a cent; but it is only me being a bit adventurous

End result? I now have a Custom ROM on my phone, more control over what I do and do not install, flexibility to strip out junkware that came with the phone, flexibility to theme my ROM as I want and a generally optimized and great performing ROM!

Now, to all those complaining about value for money, I'll ask you only one thing: Isn't all that already worth £10?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest beaverHausen

+1 I agree.

Have follwed more or less the same path as yourself Kiran and am v.happy with my tenners worth :)

Keep up the good work Paul

Guest le_lutin
  • I choose to pay £10 so that I can get access to the Kitchen - mind you, if I did not want access to the kitchen and was happy with the pre-bakes I wouldn't have to pay Paul a cent; but it is only me being a bit adventurous

And that's the killer line right there. Paul is forcing no-one to pay. You could see the £10 as a donation for the work that's gone into the pre-bakes. This is completely optional. A bonus for your donation is that you get access to the Work-In-Progress builds.

Guest LouiS22
  • I buy a plain-jane Desire from Carphone Warehouse.
  • I start exploring the Android platform and find lots of useful applications to install
  • I soon run out of usable memory and am scratching my head as to what next
  • Then, I travel to India. I soon realize that I don't have access to paid apps anymore! More head scratching follows.
  • Paul comes along and provides me with a rooted ROM at no cost!
  • Now, I am rooted and hence I get Market Enabler and start installing apps again
  • Paul solves the memory space problem too - I get A2SD+ (mind you, I haven't paid Paul a cent as yet)
  • Paul offers many enhancements, tweaks and general niceties as part of his MCRs - again at no cost!

End result? I now have a Custom ROM on my phone, more control over what I do and do not install, flexibility to strip out junkware that came with the phone, flexibility to theme my ROM as I want and a generally optimized and great performing ROM!

Now, to all those complaining about value for money, I'll ask you only one thing: Isn't all that already worth £10?

Regards,

Kiran

Nice one, mate! Totally agree!

Guest sucramco

Halleluyah !!!!!!!!!

Guest ruffneck247

Hi all, don't know whether I am missing something, but having installed the r9 Rom baked in the kitchen, I reboot the phone using the menu option. The phone just hangs on the first HTC screen. I have previously installed other roms without problems,but cannot get r9 to work. Would appreciate any help please. Thanks Chris

Guest logicalextreme

Yeah, I do use the kitchen to tweak certain things (removing Facebook and Twitter and other stock applications that I never use) because it's a lot easier than doing it myself every time I have a new ROM. As far as I'm concerned £10 was worth my original WIP r8 ROM alone.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi all, don't know whether I am missing something, but having installed the r9 Rom baked in the kitchen, I reboot the phone using the menu option. The phone just hangs on the first HTC screen. I have previously installed other roms without problems,but cannot get r9 to work. Would appreciate any help please. Thanks Chris

Try rebaking the ROM Chris.

I have an R9 running on my Phone and I have used the Reboot multiple times without any problems.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Try rebaking the ROM Chris.

I have an R9 running on my Phone and I have used the Reboot multiple times without any problems.

Regards,

Kiran

I didn't even notice I had a reboot option! I forgot all about it, I've been using Quick Boot. Failbot.

Guest michaffm1964

Wait, it takes more than 10 minutes on this screen while the rom is doing its magic thing in the background.