07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 10.5 Tog
Hi,

I've been lurking this thread for a while.

It seems to me that a few people here need to take a deep look at themselves.

I paid my £10 for ad-free and access to the kitchen. I created a ROM from the kitchen, installed it, didn't exactly like it, created another one with slightly different options, installed that, tested it, liked it and then USED MY PHONE. It does the job. My £10 was well spent. I don't care where or when r10, r11 or whatever comes along. If a new release comes along then great I'll look at it and decide whether to take it after it matures a while. The £10 was worth it for that install alone.

All I know is that Paul is a clever guy who's does some great stuff and I'm happy to slip him a few quid for what he's done.

His work has given me flexibility to set up my phone the way that I want to, rather than the way that Google or my phone provider wants to force on me.

To the moaners and trolls on this thread, I suggest that you revert your phone back to the standard ROM, unroot and do something more useful with your lives. There's more to life than spending all your time looking for every tweak to your phone or moaning to the world on how you're hard done by. All I know is that this guy is a lot cleverer than you or I and I really appreciate that.

Well done Paul, ignore the small % of moaners, the rest of us appreciate what you've done. :)

Oh please! That sounds like a post on a forum frequented by children. Did you really need to even add such an obvious load of generic ramblings. I think people are slightly ruffled because the R9 ROM is the most buggy so far and its a strange one to leave unattended.

You only signed up on the 26th August...which makes me think you don't really have the right to comment due to not having the full view of how things were before, I don't think anyone's been particularly rude here. You talk like some people have been getting quite shirty. It would appear to me that your post is more aggressive than anyone's I've read.

Guest radiogaurav
Hi,

I've been lurking this thread for a while.

It seems to me that a few people here need to take a deep look at themselves.

I paid my £10 for ad-free and access to the kitchen. I created a ROM from the kitchen, installed it, didn't exactly like it, created another one with slightly different options, installed that, tested it, liked it and then USED MY PHONE. It does the job. My £10 was well spent. I don't care where or when r10, r11 or whatever comes along. If a new release comes along then great I'll look at it and decide whether to take it after it matures a while. The £10 was worth it for that install alone.

All I know is that Paul is a clever guy who's does some great stuff and I'm happy to slip him a few quid for what he's done.

His work has given me flexibility to set up my phone the way that I want to, rather than the way that Google or my phone provider wants to force on me.

To the moaners and trolls on this thread, I suggest that you revert your phone back to the standard ROM, unroot and do something more useful with your lives. There's more to life than spending all your time looking for every tweak to your phone or moaning to the world on how you're hard done by. All I know is that this guy is a lot cleverer than you or I and I really appreciate that.

Well done Paul, ignore the small % of moaners, the rest of us appreciate what you've done. :)

and I thought we were done with this! :)

Nothing against you or the small % of so called moaners but the fact remains that different people expect different things from the community (this site included) -- you might be happy flashing a rom and using it forever, but there are others out there who enjoy tweaking their phones and trying out different roms.

I for one have tried out every rom there is to try just to see what's out there. I support Paul and that's why I gave the site my 10 bucks, but others who've also shelled out the money might have done so for a different reason -- frequent updates might be one of them.

Just because their expectations are different from mine or yours doesn't mean they don't already appreciate what Paul has done or are any dumber than you or Paul.

I think everyone is right in their own way -- I paid 10 bucks and haven't yet seen an update -- but I'm not crying about it because I'm trying out different things. Once an update is out, I'll come back to MCR. You on the other hand are enjoying your initial flash and are 'using' your phone. Others can't wait and want more updates (like other roms out there which are updated very frequently)...that's cool too.

Guest radiogaurav
+1

Anymore of this crap and I'm gonna buy an iPhone. At least the fanboys get along. :)

damn...i sold mine for the desire i just bought! should've waited just a little longer... :)

You only signed up on the 26th August...which makes me think you don't really have the right to comment due to not having the full view of how things were before, I don't think anyone's been particularly rude here. You talk like some people have been getting quite shirty.

Do I have the right to comment?

People that complain don't understand two things:

1. You don't have to use RC builds because they could be and often are full of bugs. So no one is forced into using it and should be prepared for some bugs if he does use it.

2. How would you feel if you would cook roms and be greeted with the attitude like this as soon as you visited a forum? I for one would stop developing (or publishing) roms.

Why don't you take a step back and flash some other roms if you really need to and give Paul some time to rest and relax or work on some other projects. Bickering like this won't get you anywhere and could have quite the opposite effect.

And I agree with virus... At least the I[name product here] fanboys stick with each other.

Guest DiscoHero

What is it that people really want from R10 that they are so anxious about it to get into a forum fight? Unless you are experiencing some bug, of course. Sense HD ROMs are still in infancy stages and don't have a working camera, which is a deal breaker for most. Exactly what Sense HD features will flip your world upside down?

Guest Liassic
Oh please! That sounds like a post on a forum frequented by children. Did you really need to even add such an obvious load of generic ramblings. I think people are slightly ruffled because the R9 ROM is the most buggy so far and its a strange one to leave unattended.

You only signed up on the 26th August...which makes me think you don't really have the right to comment due to not having the full view of how things were before, I don't think anyone's been particularly rude here. You talk like some people have been getting quite shirty. It would appear to me that your post is more aggressive than anyone's I've read.

So, I have to build up a reputation and have "time served" before I'm taken seriously then?

They weren't generic ramblings - my point is specific - that R9 works for me, that I'm happy with it as it is, and that not everyone is desperately waiting for an update.

Guest Liassic
and I thought we were done with this! :P

Nothing against you or the small % of so called moaners but the fact remains that different people expect different things from the community (this site included) -- you might be happy flashing a rom and using it forever, but there are others out there who enjoy tweaking their phones and trying out different roms.

I for one have tried out every rom there is to try just to see what's out there. I support Paul and that's why I gave the site my 10 bucks, but others who've also shelled out the money might have done so for a different reason -- frequent updates might be one of them.

Just because their expectations are different from mine or yours doesn't mean they don't already appreciate what Paul has done or are any dumber than you or Paul.

I think everyone is right in their own way -- I paid 10 bucks and haven't yet seen an update -- but I'm not crying about it because I'm trying out different things. Once an update is out, I'll come back to MCR. You on the other hand are enjoying your initial flash and are 'using' your phone. Others can't wait and want more updates (like other roms out there which are updated very frequently)...that's cool too.

Good point. I don't disagree with you at all.

But my point still stands - that we're not all desperately waiting for a new release.

Guest shokka9

Bro......get a grip!

'you only signed up on the 26th' sorry he was nearly 7 weeks after you!!!!!!

You must of said a lot in those 7 weeks to feel like you can say stuff like that to people?? Nope, didn't think so.

@ Paul or Admin....Delete this thread please (or some of the posts)! It is becoming a flame war. People are obviously not reading the thread fully or appropriately.

This is a thread for Pauls RC (Release Candidate - NOT FINAL) builds, bugs are to be expected (even though they are not huge ones generally). Deal with it, report them, suggest modifications to it, but don't moan about updates, etc etc. This is solely down to Paul and he has explained the situation numerous times.

The gratitude shown here by the guys that only post to complain, moan or flame is disgusting. This is one of the reasons i gave up cooking.

Fortunately Paul has seen it all before and is like water off a ducks back to him. But i feel for him as he gives all the time and expects nothing in return except feedback on his builds, if not some decency from his users of this site as a minimum too.

I come here to look for updates, issues, news, problems. Please do not come here to post useless crap in the threads.

This makes for very fugly reading.....

Good luck peoples.

:P

Edited by shokka9

Guest volatile_ink

The reason MCR ROM's are not updated often is because when they are released, they are rock solid. It's that age old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't flash it". Other (lesser) roms are updated every night because IMHO they are total crap. I know that there maybe minor issues with MCR ROM's but those people who experience them are in the extreme minority and dare I say it; n00bs that are probably doing something totally wrong or expecting the total opposite result. For the rest of us, they let us use our phones, they work and thats it. I'm sure when an update is released it will be for a good reason; because something major has been improved or added.

How many MCR roms have you flashed/used that have not had a working camera, trackball or flashing LED? Answer = 0.

Nuff said. :P

Guest shokka9

@ volatile_ink

Well said, thats the whole point these numbskulls don't get. No matter what device you are on, if you flash an MCR ROM, you know it will be a very high grade build.

Everything will work, there will be lots of added extras (system tweaks & apps), and not much removed as Paul likes it fairly standard in appearance.

A lot of other ROMs fail to tick the 'everything works' box! Which to most people, actually matters

:P

And you both forgot one important thing about these users...

They just don't get the fact that you don't have to flash the latest and greatest to your phone. Use MCR8 that works well and then use MCR9 when it's finished and bug free and you won't have to make raging posts like some of the ones above.

I agree with shokka also suggest that this topic closes for a while or purges from these useless posts which contain only flaming and arguing.

Guest MacCarron
The reason MCR ROM's are not updated often is because when they are released, they are rock solid. It's that age old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't flash it". Other (lesser) roms are updated every night because IMHO they are total crap. I know that there maybe minor issues with MCR ROM's but those people who experience them are in the extreme minority and dare I say it; n00bs that are probably doing something totally wrong or expecting the total opposite result. For the rest of us, they let us use our phones, they work and thats it. I'm sure when an update is released it will be for a good reason; because something major has been improved or added.

How many MCR roms have you flashed/used that have not had a working camera, trackball or flashing LED? Answer = 0.

Nuff said. :P

Calling other ROMs or attempts at porting the Desire HD ROM (with consequent cam issues) "lesser" or "totally crap" denotes ignorance and great disrespect in my humble opinion. Between people demanding updates and kiss asses i really don't know what's the worst. I guess both.

Guest shokka9
Calling other ROMs or attempts at porting the Desire HD ROM (with consequent cam issues) "lesser" or "totally crap" denotes ignorance and great disrespect in my humble opinion. Between people demanding updates and kiss asses i really don't know what's the worst. I guess both.

The point he was making is that they don't work, as Pauls do. There is no such thing as better or worse or lesser (these are perceptions that is unique to each individual). It just about: 1 and 0, on and off, works and doesnt work, etc.

Simple.

Jumping in on a thread to post something like this is not really constructive. I am sure his apparent ignorance or disrespect shown is not something he meant to do, he was merely trying to illustrate a point.

Between kiss asses and people demanding updates (and people posting to flame others) is a joke.....! Give it a rest.

If your logic is correct, my posts would probably come under the 'kiss ass' profile. You couldn't be further from the truth!

I hardly ever use Pauls ROMs (just as a starting point). I am in the fortunate postion of being able to make my own ROMs. So i use what i want, when i want. I know the risks attached with this and am quite safe in the knowledge that what i am using is usually my own work.

Currently i am on Nonnski's ROM. Which again is a stripped down version of Pauls. Does that make Noonski a kiss ass? Definitely not.

My point is, that you are being presumptious.

You also would assume that i actually care, i really don't. I just don't like it when people try to shoot others down. Especially over total useless garbage.

Wake up people please.

Edited by shokka9

R7, R8 or R9 builds of modaco have been NO superior to 90 percent of the roms I've flashed over at xda. I have no doubt many here will disagree but as far as I'm concerned its a simple fact. Those roms with the help of Paul were possible because of his root. Or other work that he puts into his roms, But, those guys at xda, do not offer any service. They just bust there balls pushing out bloody good roms. They do not state, indicate, or lead you to believe there will be ANY updates to there work. They just bust there balls answering questions, updating there roms and all for true donations that amount I suspect to a few quid a week if there lucky. Also increasingly there are options to install separate mods. Paul is god I agree, but to advertise regular updates is just wrong. Paul is very clever I have no doubt, Despite the claims of many, I suspect the actual amount of man hours he put into updating R9 from R8 or R8 from R7, would make all other devs envious. I honestly think he is that good. But if a service is being offered in a way in which it is, I think Paul needs to spend less time elsewhere.

Guest volatile_ink

A few big words in there... you must have Googled for a thesaurus. lol :D

Everyone has different opinions, look at the Middle East. £450 phone without a working camera is a pile of crap, IMHO.

@MacCarron and the n00bs: Try this rom.

@dunbad: WTF?

@shokka9: Respect.

Any chance that this thread be deleted so we can start afresh?

Thats the last you'll hear from me. :P

Guest MacCarron
A few big words in there... you must have Googled for a thesaurus. lol :D

Everyone has different opinions, look at the Middle East. £450 phone without a working camera is a pile of crap, IMHO.

@MacCarron and the n00bs: Try this rom.

Thats the last you'll hear from me. :P

consequent, denotes
 need of thesaurus to come up with them
ignorant

Thank you for proving my point.

@shokka9.

I was not addressing you or anyone in particular , but it's pointless to deny that a bit of both phenomena are present in the thread. I don't see how pointing this out makes me pretentious and i think you were generalizing things a little, but i agree my post was not constructive. I am getting a bit fed up with being notified of updates in the thread only to find out it's ramblings. OT over, at least on my side.

Guest DiscoHero
R7, R8 or R9 builds of modaco have been NO superior to 90 percent of the roms I've flashed over at xda. I have no doubt many here will disagree but as far as I'm concerned its a simple fact. Those roms with the help of Paul were possible because of his root. Or other work that he puts into his roms, But, those guys at xda, do not offer any service. They just bust there balls pushing out bloody good roms. They do not state, indicate, or lead you to believe there will be ANY updates to there work. They just bust there balls answering questions, updating there roms and all for true donations that amount I suspect to a few quid a week if there lucky. Also increasingly there are options to install separate mods. Paul is god I agree, but to advertise regular updates is just wrong. Paul is very clever I have no doubt, Despite the claims of many, I suspect the actual amount of man hours he put into updating R9 from R8 or R8 from R7, would make all other devs envious. I honestly think he is that good. But if a service is being offered in a way in which it is, I think Paul needs to spend less time elsewhere.

Agree, there is no need to put down other ROMs and by extension other ROM developers.

I don't remember seeing Paul advertise regular updates but I could be wrong of course. I subscribed because his work allowed me to root my Desire and I though I should reward/pay for his efforts. If this phone wasn't rooted by Paul shortly after I purchased it I would have been inclined to sell it. I have also donated to DeFrost as it is the best Sense-less ROM IMHO. Seriously, bitching about $10/year is petty at best.

HTC Desire is still a "young" phone (less than a year) and even HTC has been good at updating it to Froyo and some bug fixing OTAs. I'd like to think there will be at least one or two more official OTAs before HTC EOLs it. That means we have many more ROMs to look forward to from Paul and others at XDA.

Guest Shadow75
i can only guess, but WSP in this case could mean Wireless Session Protocol, like WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)?

edit:

deactivating WSP seems to deactived mobile connection, and is used ie from juicedefender

do you/have you used juicedefender, it also could come from this app?

Thanks for all your help but I sorted it myself by doin the following:

1. Backed up all data with MyBackup pro. And used Titanium Backup to back up all Apps to Dropbox.

2. Did a complete wipe of everything and reinstalled r9 ROM without Google Maps.

3. I then restored the phone back to normal and all was working great with no problems. My Mobile network is working great.

4. I re-installed Google Maps from the market and everything is good.

So I decided to run it all again to make sure if it was a fault with the ROM or not. So I did a full wipe again and did all the necessary backups.

1. Re-baked a new r9 ROm with Google Maps this time.

2. Re-installed everthing back onto phone and found the same problem with Google Maps not working and also my Mobile internet not working too.

I did another full wipe and did a fresh bake of r9 ROM without Google Maps to find after re-installing everything to be working okay.

I have found that my Mobile internet works great if I dont install Google Maps when I bake a new ROM. Why? I have no idea, but there is some problem with Google Maps in the Kitchen of the new r9 ROM as this affects my Mobile internet every single time. So I know now not to install it.

I have used Autostart to check every App and nothing came up. Just the problem with Google Maps from the r9 ROM. After installing it from the Market I have experienced no problems whatsover with my phone.

I am not experienced in this area, but learning and willing to learn and never give up always looking for a solution.

So thanks anyway for all your help and input :P

Guest Shadow75
+1 for reading the thread. I know it's long, but if you're really into this you could do a few pages a day and catch up, learning a lot of stuff along the way about this ROM, Android in general and things you didn't know you cared about!

But I will address your second question -- a number of applications and/or services that are designed to control your data connection (either by manual or automatic means) will change your APN because sometimes they are unable to directly control the AP status. Changing the name is a workaround -- change an existing, functioning one to something else, and it's effectively disabled; change it back and it's re-enabled. This definitely seems like that has happened -- you had "Orange Internet" and a program changed it to "Orange Internetwsp-disabled".

Googling I could only find this which has no resolution at present. Take a look through your applications and see if you can spot a likely culprit.

Hello,

Thanks for all your help to let you know I sorted it myself by doin the following:

1. Backed up all data with MyBackup pro. And used Titanium Backup to back up all Apps to Dropbox.

2. Did a complete wipe of everything and reinstalled r9 ROM without Google Maps.

3. I then restored the phone back to normal and all was working great with no problems. My Mobile network is working great.

4. I re-installed Google Maps from the market and everything is good.

So I decided to run it all again to make sure if it was a fault with the ROM or not. So I did a full wipe again and did all the necessary backups.

1. Re-baked a new r9 ROm with Google Maps this time.

2. Re-installed everthing back onto phone and found the same problem with Google Maps not working and also my Mobile internet not working too.

I did another full wipe and did a fresh bake of r9 ROM without Google Maps to find after re-installing everything to be working okay.

I have found that my Mobile internet works great if I dont install Google Maps when I bake a new ROM. Why? I have no idea, but there is some problem with Google Maps in the Kitchen of the new r9 ROM as this affects my Mobile internet every single time. So I know now not to install it.

I have used Autostart to check every App and nothing came up. Just the problem with Google Maps from the r9 ROM. After installing it from the Market I have experienced no problems whatsover with my phone.

I am not experienced in this area, but learning and willing to learn and never give up always looking for a solution.

So thanks anyway for all your help and input :P

Guest Invisible Elf

I'd be quite interested to see how many of the ROMs at xda are just modified versions of ROMs cooked at Paul's very own kitchen. I know there are a few talented programmers at xda, but my understanding is that at least half the ROMs posted there are simply Paul-ROMs with a few things added or removed by simple "scriptkiddies".

Guest fredaroony
I don't remember seeing Paul advertise regular updates but I could be wrong of course.

Yeah you are wrong. From the first post in this thread:

"This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r9 release of my Desire ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared."

Its now a whole month since the last "frequent" update. Paul has obviously given up on the Desire and moved onto something more interesting. I will never pay another cent to this guy.

I'd be quite interested to see how many of the ROMs at xda are just modified versions of ROMs cooked at Paul's very own kitchen. I know there are a few talented programmers at xda, but my understanding is that at least half the ROMs posted there are simply Paul-ROMs with a few things added or removed by simple "scriptkiddies".

well, could people please stop this who has the bigger ... it's foolish, thanks

i read the "WIP releases are updated frequently" as follows:

r8 is stable, no new features

r9 wip can (or may not) change often, expect things get broken and repaired, don't expect a stable version until its finished.

never i would expect a weekly update for a livetime of the phone

and paul making a living from his work, maybe enjoys his work too? yeah, than more power to him.

pauls roms work with many things from other work, and verce visa - no sense in prefering the chicken or the egg

Edited by woti17