07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest binary_digit_2002

Hi Just installed this ROM on my desire and all is working well, just a few nags...

Done a TITANIUM restore and internal memory is now showing as nearly full?

Cant seem to download or get on to the market via mobile network only wifi?

Any ideas...

Thanks

Andy

Guest camdenhandbrake
Hi Just installed this ROM on my desire and all is working well, just a few nags...

Done a TITANIUM restore and internal memory is now showing as nearly full?

Cant seem to download or get on to the market via mobile network only wifi?

Any ideas...

Thanks

Andy

Have you done a full reboot?

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Am I unlucky or what! No matter what I do, I just don't seem to be able to get Google Maps to update over the market.

I guess I'll just wait for R10 to come along.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest camdenhandbrake
Yes. I have a great reception but dont seem to be able to get 3g network

Ah. Won't help the 3G issue but if you hadn't rebooted after installing the ROM that would explain why internal memory was nearly full.

Guest binary_digit_2002
Ah. Won't help the 3G issue but if you hadn't rebooted after installing the ROM that would explain why internal memory was nearly full.

Sorted I just needed to change the APN settings!

Guest Invisible Elf
P.S. i have never had android b4, so it might sounds stupid, dose android sync hotmail too?

I know on my HTC Desire there's 2 mail apps, one for gmail and one that can import from hotmail using pop3. I however moved over to gmail completely and made my hotmail automatically forward everything to my gmail.

(by the way HTC makes better android phones than samsung, get an Incredible, Evo, or whatever depending on your network :-) )

Guest Zarch1972
I know on my HTC Desire there's 2 mail apps, one for gmail and one that can import from hotmail using pop3. I however moved over to gmail completely and made my hotmail automatically forward everything to my gmail.

Rather than hotmail forward on mails, you can get gmail to pull in your hotmail....... (swings and roundabouts i know).

I have my gmail account pull mail from 3 different pop3 accounts, its a great feature.

Edited by Zarch1972

Guest volatile_ink
Rather than hotmail forward on mails, you can get gmail to pull in your hotmail....... (swings and roundabouts i know).

I have my gmail account pull mail from 3 different pop3 accounts, its a great feature.

Or you could just set-up a new POP3 account for Hotmail. Settings here. :)

:) didn't expect to meet you here! i still remember your original omnia ROMs back the dayS. i'm thinking about getting a US version Galaxy S (at&t's captivate), coz the i9000 only has 1900 for US 3G. hopefully, paul is going to give US galaxy S a shot in the near future.

good to see you again and i will keep an eye on you :)

P.S. i have never had android b4, so it might sounds stupid, dose android sync hotmail too?

The HTC Mail app currently does not work with Hotmail Activesync, but the Android stock e-mail application does, you can select the stock app when you bake your rom in Paul's kitchen.

Guest Invisible Elf

Gmail only pulls emails occasionally. If you instead set up your hotmail to forward it, you'll get them to your gmail (and phone) instantly.

Guest jonas123456

Do u get access to the kitchen or whats it called if u pay the 9.99 or do u have to pay 29.99 to get acces for that.

I really want a rom without all the htc stuff beside sense.

There should be a prepacked release thats lightweight so u can install what u need afterwards.

I have rooted my phone but i dont dare to uninstall the crap from htc cus i dont know what all does so i want a basic rom so i install what i need instead.

Is there a "Vanilla" android 2.2 whit only the basics direct from google for desire i can use?

Yeah i know lots of noob q:s but i am a noob so u have to excuse me for that.

Guest binary_digit_2002
:) didn't expect to meet you here! i still remember your original omnia ROMs back the dayS. i'm thinking about getting a US version Galaxy S (at&t's captivate), coz the i9000 only has 1900 for US 3G. hopefully, paul is going to give US galaxy S a shot in the near future.

good to see you again and i will keep an eye on you :)

Regarding your hotmail - Yes it does I use one of my hotmail email accounts all the time

I've been playing around with resizing the partitions. I'm currently using app2sd and I want to try without it for a bit. I'm wondering if I can just delete the 40a2sd file from init.d to disable it? Are there other stuff going on that I need to be aware of? I know I can just bake a new one, but this just seemed so much easier...

Edited by Kaare

Guest le_lutin
Do u get access to the kitchen or whats it called if u pay the 9.99 or do u have to pay 29.99 to get acces for that.

There should be a prepacked release thats lightweight so u can install what u need afterwards.

I have rooted my phone but i dont dare to uninstall the crap from htc cus i dont know what all does so i want a basic rom so i install what i need instead.

Is there a "Vanilla" android 2.2 whit only the basics direct from google for desire i can use?

It's 9.99 for access to the kitchen.

Guest fredaroony

Dont waste your money as the ROMs for the Desire hardly ever get updated as Paul seems to have lost interest in the phone. Its not hard to remove apps in your phone with Root Explorer from the market. Just google on how to do it.

Guest Arty Marty

Hi jonas123456,

before you take the advice of people on this forum with limited numbers of posts ie:

Dont waste your money as the ROMs for the Desire hardly ever get updated as Paul seems to have lost interest in the phone. Its not hard to remove apps in your phone with Root Explorer from the market. Just google on how to do it.

It would be a good idea to check out the quality of their OTHER posts to see if they are helpful and contributing, or the exact opposite. Then you can judge the quality of their opinion and advice and make your own decision bassed on that.

As the price is 9.99, which is basically the cost of a burger and a coke, I think it is well worth it. Sure some of this stuff you can do yourself, but then if you run into problems, this forum is a good place to come for help from the other contributing members. As you would all be using the same image, issues can be worked out, and problems solved.

If you have done something yourself with a mix of bits from here and there, no one can really help you if you have a problem, as they don't know what you have done to start with. Remember there are a lot of parts of android/sense that might seem un-related, but other parts reference them, so if you remove one, the other breaks (as you might notice through the posts on this topic). Again, if several people have the same issue, we can quickly work out -"oh thats because you removed this part"

Its well worth the 9.99 in my opinion. I would surely shout someone a burger and a coke if they hasle free made my phone more functional and introduced me to 50 or so people who could help me if I had issues.

Some people seem to think if you shout someone a burger and a coke (9.99) you own their soul for life and they become your personal slave and be at your beck and call 24-7. But I am sure you have a more realistic expectation.

Warmly, Marty

Guest fredaroony
Hi jonas123456,

before you take the advice of people on this forum with limited numbers of posts ie:

LOL says you with your almighty total of 40 posts!!

Guest TheScrub

I'd be much happier if Paul would refund the measly £10 to fredaroony so we don't have to hear him bitching any more.

No one forced you to subscribe and no promises have been made as to how often releases will be made, so do us all a favour and shut the hell up.

I'd be much happier if Paul would refund the measly £10 to fredaroony so we don't have to hear him bitching any more.

No one forced you to subscribe and no promises have been made as to how often releases will be made, so do us all a favour and shut the hell up.

As you can see im a plus member and i agree but i think everyone who has complained should have money refunded and then have their ip blocked so they cant use the site, and no i havent posted before but im fed up with people moaning about no updates.

Edited by Dasco

Guest volatile_ink

People, it's a phone. It won't last forever, just enjoy it while it lasts and until you upgrade or buy a new one.

Hopefully you'll choose something other than the phone I upgrade to, so I won't have to read anymore of your posts. :)

Log-off, go outside, there's a world out there. :)

I've been playing around with resizing the partitions. I'm currently using app2sd and I want to try without it for a bit. I'm wondering if I can just delete the 40a2sd file from init.d to disable it? Are there other stuff going on that I need to be aware of? I know I can just bake a new one, but this just seemed so much easier...

Didn't work. I have a sneaky suspicion that my small cache part. is to blame. Using AlphaRev data++ at the moment. Where is the dalvik cache placed if I disable app2sd? Data or cache part? I looked at the dalvik script and it was a bit confusing. The description in the header seemed to indicate it being moved from cache to data, and the actual script the opposite. I guess I shouldn't mess with this stuff at 4am.

What it boils down to is: Will the data++ hboot work with r9 or do I need to use one with a bigger cache part? The one they have specially for sense roms have a 90mb cache part, and that just seems excessive.

Didn't work. I have a sneaky suspicion that my small cache part. is to blame. Using AlphaRev data++ at the moment. Where is the dalvik cache placed if I disable app2sd? Data or cache part? I looked at the dalvik script and it was a bit confusing. The description in the header seemed to indicate it being moved from cache to data, and the actual script the opposite. I guess I shouldn't mess with this stuff at 4am.

What it boils down to is: Will the data++ hboot work with r9 or do I need to use one with a bigger cache part? The one they have specially for sense roms have a 90mb cache part, and that just seems excessive.

it will work if you leave the dalvik-cache on /system/sd (a2sd+) od /data/ (a2sd)

i have alpha data++ too with aura rom. my dalvik-cache would never fit in 90MB /cache anyway, so there is no point in having 90MB cache nand free, and i don't think that reading from sdcard is so much slower than from /data or /cache nand (so that would slow down the phone when apps are copied into ram)

so i leave them 10MB cache and have 170MB data free (a2sd+)

"I guess I shouldn't mess with this stuff at 4am." well said ;-)

edit: you can also mount -bind /cache to /data/cache

there is a script over at xda that does it safely at boot

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=14

after that you have /cache and /data combined and don't have to worry about low cache space

then it looks like

/dev/block/mtdblock3 174.5M 165.5M 9.0M 95% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 253.5M 75.6M 177.9M 30% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 253.5M 75.6M 177.9M 30% /cache

Edited by woti17

Guest fakefur

dude seriously... i'll refund him if he'll STFU and go away

please fred ... give me your paypal and i'll send you the $$ if you promise to go away

deal?