07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TheMegaMan
dude seriously... i'll refund him if he'll STFU and go away

please fred ... give me your paypal and i'll send you the $$ if you promise to go away

deal?

To be honest, I really don't understand this obsession with continual updates, anyway. The kitchen provides a huge number of configuration options and I've been able to build the ROM I want. It's stable, and apart from adding a few power-saving tweeks, I don't know what else Paul's supposed to be doing. Is he supposed to just update it for the sake if it?

If you really want to spend your life reflashing your ROM, just keep on going back to the kitchen and selecting a new random selection, and see what you get!

To me, it's well worth the money to build a one single ROM image that fixes most of the deficiencies in the HTC release. Any subsequent improvements and updates are just a bonus.

Guest volatile_ink
To me, it's well worth the money to build a one single ROM image that fixes most of the deficiencies in the HTC release. Any subsequent improvements and updates are just a bonus.

+1

Small updates please small minds. :) :)

Guest fakefur
To be honest, I really don't understand this obsession with continual updates, anyway. The kitchen provides a huge number of configuration options and I've been able to build the ROM I want. It's stable, and apart from adding a few power-saving tweeks, I don't know what else Paul's supposed to be doing. Is he supposed to just update it for the sake if it?

If you really want to spend your life reflashing your ROM, just keep on going back to the kitchen and selecting a new random selection, and see what you get!

+1

i flashed a r9 wip rom back in sept and it does everything i wanted it to do so i really don't get the "can i haz new rom!" syndrome

my phone works great as it is now and i have nothing but thanks for paul for the effort

:)

dude seriously... i'll refund him if he'll STFU and go away

please fred ... give me your paypal and i'll send you the $$ if you promise to go away

deal?

I've made several donations over the past year or two to several different devs on different devices. I've Not a bad word to say to any of them or the roms or jailbreaks they created. Those devs created a piece of work, They made it available to the public, I installed it, liked it, then donated. Simples. There was no word nor expectation of updates. It was simply me admiring a piece of work then donating for that piece of work. Financially, for those devs at least, very much a rearward facing method of generating income. You see something, you like, you pay what your comfortable with. Pauls idea is diffetent. I'm sure Paul would admit that modaco is more forward facing in terms of generating income. I do not want a refund, I would simply point out to people that if you would normally donate ten pounds for a rom, then this is a good idea for the roms as is. But DONT expect very frequent updates. Do expect Paul to pay a very small amount of time on this forum, do expect very basic updates once in a blue moon before he goes on holiday. Do understand that Paul works on LOADS of devices. Do understand that he has a family and takes weekends off. Would i pay THIRTY pounds again next year, No I wont. This is an open forum, not Russian or communist state. Fredoroony should be entitled to his opinion. On this thread i admit it's not the best, maybe he should voice his opinion on the desire hd forum. But frederoonies voice is not a lone one.

Guest jonas123456

Think i want to do it the kitchen way.

But now i have a new question i have rooted wit the unrevoke application and in that one u can choose rom (correct me if im wrong.) but in there i can only choose a .img file and the files in modaco zip is just around 2-5 mb img.

How do i do to install modaco then?

I'm really new at this overall so please help me with detailed instructions.

Guest fakefur

But now i have a new question i have rooted wit the unrevoke application and in that one u can choose rom (correct me if im wrong.) but in there i can only choose a .img file and the files in modaco zip is just around 2-5 mb img.

once you have rooted bake the rom you want and download it ... put it on your sdcard ... install rom manager from the market ... run rom manager ... select "install rom from sdcard" and browse to the one you put there before ... say yes to backup & wipe ... wait 5 mins ... enjoy new rom

You copy the zip file to your SD card.

Turn on the phone with power button and holding down the volume down key.

Select recovery.

And then you'll have the option to flash the zip file. Just don't forget to make a backup and wipe the data before you install the new rom.

Edit: The poster above me beat me to it. :) This is another way of installing it.

Edited by bpivk

Guest jonas123456

Ohhh is it that simple now :)

Remember when i tried rooting my hero with goldcard etc. a little bit trickier now i ran an exe and now its just to install :)

Ty all :(

it will work if you leave the dalvik-cache on /system/sd (a2sd+) od /data/ (a2sd)

i have alpha data++ too with aura rom. my dalvik-cache would never fit in 90MB /cache anyway, so there is no point in having 90MB cache nand free, and i don't think that reading from sdcard is so much slower than from /data or /cache nand (so that would slow down the phone when apps are copied into ram)

so i leave them 10MB cache and have 170MB data free (a2sd+)

"I guess I shouldn't mess with this stuff at 4am." well said ;-)

edit: you can also mount -bind /cache to /data/cache

there is a script over at xda that does it safely at boot

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=14

after that you have /cache and /data combined and don't have to worry about low cache space

then it looks like

/dev/block/mtdblock3 174.5M 165.5M 9.0M 95% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 253.5M 75.6M 177.9M 30% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 253.5M 75.6M 177.9M 30% /cache

Thanks, this looks like it will do the trick. I'll have a crack at it in the morning.

Guest Asselberghs

The Img file you can choose with the Unrevoked root method is if you want to install another recovery image instead of Clockworkmod the only other recovery image I can think of is Amon Ra and PSFreedom which I believe is based on Amon Ra

Guest htcnick

Hii think this is a common problem with the Android market, it takes a while to start downloading. Has anyone found a suction to make it start a little quicker. I have also noticed that gmail doesn't push the emails to phone all that quick. I am beginning to think its the data connection on my phone because sometimes it takes a while to load a page and I usually have to turn the data connection off then on.

Also I notice when typing txts after typing a bit of the txt message the delete button stops working and also if your on the side view (phone on the side) when you get rid of the keyboard to send the txt it goes to the top of the all ur txts sent to that person and u have to scroll down, that can be a while if u send as much txts as me. Anyone else get this problem and may have fixed it.

Hii think this is a common problem with the Android market, it takes a while to start downloading. Has anyone found a suction to make it start a little quicker. I have also noticed that gmail doesn't push the emails to phone all that quick. I am beginning to think its the data connection on my phone because sometimes it takes a while to load a page and I usually have to turn the data connection off then on.

Also I notice when typing txts after typing a bit of the txt message the delete button stops working and also if your on the side view (phone on the side) when you get rid of the keyboard to send the txt it goes to the top of the all ur txts sent to that person and u have to scroll down, that can be a while if u send as much txts as me. Anyone else get this problem and may have fixed it.

Mate, i'm going to have a stab in the dark here and guess you're with Optus AU? lots of people on the Whirlpool forums seem to be having issues with Optus on Android lately... Mind you, my 3 connection has been flakey as well...

Guest htcnick
Mate, i'm going to have a stab in the dark here and guess you're with Optus AU? lots of people on the Whirlpool forums seem to be having issues with Optus on Android lately... Mind you, my 3 connection has been flakey as well...

Im with vodafone, but most service in au is pretty average anyway.

Guest Arty Marty

I was under the impression that Optus, 3, vodaphone (and Virgin too I think) are all on the same network towers (900mhz) and telstra is on the 850mhz towers.... which is what is stopping me from getting a desire HD (900mhz) and I am on telstra.... I know they also both do 2100mhz but the reception on that band blows goats bigtime as it is not good for distance...

Also the android market has been up and down a bit lately, so 99% of the time, that is the issue...

Hope this helps.

Warmly, Marty

Guest htcnick
What rom updates? OTA won't work or you'll loose root, upgrading from stock rom could cause problems and in some instances upgrading from previous MCR versions can cause problems.

Anyone know what "OTA" means.

Anyone know what "OTA" means.

?? Over The Air. When your manufacturer has an update for your phone, most of the times it will send it to you through the air. This means you can either update through your mobile internet or wifi.

Edited by doom71

Guest htcnick
?? Over The Air. When your manufacturer has an update for your phone, most of the times it will send it to you through the air. This means you can either update through your mobile internet or wifi.

ok thanks, that helps. Does this website offer that.

Guest shokka9
People, it's a phone.

It won't last forever, just enjoy it while it lasts and until you upgrade or buy a new one.

Or DIE!! (volatile_ink didnt really say that; but i edited to say that!)

Turn off the PC, go outside and realise there is more to life than ROMs, Desires and Android. Seriously, wake up. Life is much better and more rewarding.

Edited by shokka9

Am I unlucky or what! No matter what I do, I just don't seem to be able to get Google Maps to update over the market.

I guess I'll just wait for R10 to come along.

Regards,

Kiran

I also wasn't able to update maps, in the end I finally tried a full wipe and fresh flashing of r9 and then it did update, so if you haven't done that yet, go do that. You then restore everything using titanium backup...

Remco

Guest incorect

Paul! I like Rom R9 made by you very much. But have to notice there are some mistakes in it. There's mistake with Russian Keyboard in HTC IME. When you press "Space" instead of space "!" appears. The same with "Enter", instead of Enter you have russian letter "э". They have fixed these bugs in original ROM 2.10.405.2. May I ask you to replace HTC IME with newer version or if it's possible to make some patch to fix it!