07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest saisquare
You move it by changing the /init.d/40a2sd file with a modified version that also moves /data/data to SD. I have it if you need it but you need a fast card if you want to use it.

Can you send me?

I just wanna give it a try. I am struggling to switch to ownhere HD rom or stay in MCR.

If this works, i will wait for R10.

Guest MacCarron
Out of interest, what does the ROM you're switching to before r10 is released have that r9 doesn't have?

Well the list is long..pretty much every rom over @ xda has at least one (i'm being conservative..) of the following things:

-newer builds

-newer radios

-newer kernels ( A LOT of new kernels, featuring HAVS, BFS, higher OC, heavy UV, battery optimizations, the new CPU group scheduler, audio mods, EXT4 etc etc)

-themes

-Desire HD features

-Desire Z features

-latest Espresso features

-CMod features

-Data2SD (I/O performance through the roof, virtually unlimited app storage)

-Optimized Data2SD (same as above and more, quadrant over 2700)

And these are just Sense ROMs...if you get into the AOSP world..it's another galaxy. CMod, Ultimate Droid, Oxygen. Heck, there's so much stuff one can barely keep up.

MCR was great when it received its last true update. In the first days of September.

Edited by MacCarron

Why don't you just move the /data/data directory. I have 170mb free (7mb used) with that and almost no issues.

There are only two backsides to that:

- You need a fast card (at least class 6)

- If you use a slower card (I'm using class 4) you have to update and install software one at a time or the installation will take a really long time.

But those are minor issues due to the slow card.

brought me to an idea ;-)

was quite sceptical because i have a class 2 card, but it works and coexists with a2sd+

made a backup of /data/data to pc first just to be sure

created a file with 800MB on /system/sd (ext partition where a2sd+ lives) ( dd if=/dev/zero of=/system/sd/data_ext2 bs=1048576 - hit ctrl-c if its enough)

created an ext2 filesystem within the file ( mke2fs -m 0 -F /system/sd/data_ext2 )

run fsck on /system/sd/data_ext2

loopmounted once, copied /data/data over

unmounted

created start-up script after a2sd+ script:

force check ext2 filesystem in file /system/sd/data_ext2

create mountpoint in /mnt/asec (/mnt/asec/ext2)

chmod 775 and chown 1000:1000

loop mount

/system/sd/data_ext2 to mountpoint

look if there is a /data/data

if yes and /system/sd/data_ext2 and mount point exists and /data/data is no symlink

rm -r /data/data

ln -s /mnt/asec/ext2 /data/data

voila!

booted fine

data partition in nand has now 210MB free, installing of further programms doesn't decrease because it goes to sdcard

and quadrant increased +200, not that i cared

Edited by woti17

@woti17: I just used a modified 40a2sd script but got the same results. It's simpler for me because I can change it when I make a new rom. I don't have a internal memory boost like with solution posted on xda (I forgot the name) but the amount I have doesn't decrease so it's good for me. I don't need to know how much I use anyway ;)

Edited by bpivk

Guest ShirazS
Out of interest, what does the ROM you're switching to before r10 is released have that r9 doesn't have?

For me personally, even though MacCarron has mentioned it above:

Newer Radio Version - 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27

Newer Build Version - 2.29.405.2

Desire HD features

And just regular meaningful updates.

@woti17: I just used a modified 40a2sd script but got the same results. It's simpler for me because I can change it when I make a new rom. I don't have a internal memory boost like with solution posted on xda (I forgot the name) but the amount I have doesn't decrease so it's good for me. I don't need to know how much I use anyway ;)

yes, i saw them data-move scripts on xda, the data2ext script is even more difficile, with moving also /data/properties and misc etc to sd with

with different options mounted points.

i just wanted to keep my ext4 /system/sd but have the data without journal on ext2, as its easely backup and restoreable, and gives me a little more speed

seems that nand and/or yaffs filesystem is slower than my class 2 32GB card.

didn't see a class 10 32GB card, the hugest from kingston is 16GB class 10, maybe next year the get also cheaper and we move everything from nand to sdcard then? ;-)

I plan to wait for the first new Sence rom I like and then either move /data/data or use the data2ext. I wonder if there is any difference in speed between the two?

Edit: Or maybe I'll wait for January. Gingerbread should be out by then. I hope.

Edited by bpivk

I plan to wait for the first new Sence rom I like and then either move /data/data or use the data2ext. I wonder if there is any difference in speed between the two?

Edit: Or maybe I'll wait for January. Gingerbread should be out by then. I hope.

ownheres hd rom has odex files for all apks in /system/app at least, i wonder if that makes more difference than the difference between data2sd and data2ext

for now i like the mixed up rcdhmix with sub501 kernel with aura theme with circle bat ... ;)

Edited by woti17

Id go for the desire hd roms, now with working camera! Rcmixhd, I found very good. Or defrost if you don't want sense. BOTH kick mcr version 9 into touch by a country mile. But I would suggest the devs nowadays are younger than Paul. I suspect Paul is perhaps a little bit passed it, a little bit over the hill. Not much, but just a tad too old. Can't keep up with the pace.

Guest awarner

dunbad rather than insult other members especially the guy that actually owns the site I suggest that if you do not like what he does then have a go at doing it yourself.

And keep your insults to yourself and keep the site friendly and insult free age has nothing to do with developing ROMs.

Id go for the desire hd roms, now with working camera! Rcmixhd, I found very good. Or defrost if you don't want sense. BOTH kick mcr version 9 into touch by a country mile. But I would suggest the devs nowadays are younger than Paul. I suspect Paul is perhaps a little bit passed it, a little bit over the hill. Not much, but just a tad too old. Can't keep up with the pace.

What an absolutely retarded post! ;)

What an absolutely retarded post! ;)

Your right, making roms has nothing to do with age, just money coming in I guess.

And I actually forgot that Paul actually owns this site. Maybe because he hasnt been around errr at all! Zero updates in months, (and I mean meaningful updates) wot a joke. My initial post was actually half jest/reverse pyhscology?!

Guest logicalextreme

/data/data ideas were good, especially modding the a2sd script...beautifully simple idea. Maybe I should avoid it for the time being because of my crappy class 2 card (I have trouble finding anything faster for a decent price in the UK, and I don't want to spend more than a third of the handset's cost on a card...I wish they'd consider trying to fit a standard SD card slot into devices).

Guest Arty Marty
/data/data ideas were good, especially modding the a2sd script...beautifully simple idea. Maybe I should avoid it for the time being because of my crappy class 2 card (I have trouble finding anything faster for a decent price in the UK, and I don't want to spend more than a third of the handset's cost on a card...I wish they'd consider trying to fit a standard SD card slot into devices).

Kingston have just come out with a class4 32gb card, and the price of all sizes from all manufacturers has just dropped across the board... I am waiting for my class4 32gb to be shipped to me.

also note that the 'class' rating is what the minimum sustained throughput is - sometimes it is a lot faster..

however another figure to take into account is the random access speed for small read/writes - they DONT tell you that, and that is what would be useful for running an OS off the actual card - I hear that some of the lower class number cards have actually faster small read/write speeds.... This is one if the issues with Windows phone 7 - you need a card that is fantastic at the small read/writes, that is why Microsoft wants to control what goes into the phones to keep up performance (thus they are not user changeable)

Marty

Kingston have just come out with a class4 32gb card, and the price of all sizes from all manufacturers has just dropped across the board... I am waiting for my class4 32gb to be shipped to me.

also note that the 'class' rating is what the minimum sustained throughput is - sometimes it is a lot faster..

however another figure to take into account is the random access speed for small read/writes - they DONT tell you that, and that is what would be useful for running an OS off the actual card - I hear that some of the lower class number cards have actually faster small read/write speeds.... This is one if the issues with Windows phone 7 - you need a card that is fantastic at the small read/writes, that is why Microsoft wants to control what goes into the phones to keep up performance (thus they are not user changeable)

Marty

absolutly right, just to add:

kingston has also a class 10 - 16gb micro sdhc for half the price of the kingston 32gb class 4

sandisk has a 32gb class 2 for half the price of of the kingston 32gb class 4

(at least if you order in germany)

price are expected to dropping i think (qualitiy maybe also decreasing ;-)

Guest Iceberger
Your right, making roms has nothing to do with age, just money coming in I guess.

And I actually forgot that Paul actually owns this site. Maybe because he hasnt been around errr at all! Zero updates in months, (and I mean meaningful updates) wot a joke. My initial post was actually half jest/reverse pyhscology?!

I see what you mean, You think challenging Paul will attract his attention.

But why doing it like that? you can directly pm Paul if something is bothering you.

Edited by Iceberger

Guest logicalextreme
absolutly right, just to add:

kingston has also a class 10 - 16gb micro sdhc for half the price of the kingston 32gb class 4

sandisk has a 32gb class 2 for half the price of of the kingston 32gb class 4

(at least if you order in germany)

price are expected to dropping i think (qualitiy maybe also decreasing ;-)

Thanks both! Although my class 2 performs fairly well (I've posted up results earlier in the thread, here) the small r/w falls well below class 2 speeds and I notice lag (or more accurately complete deadlock) when installing or upgrading applications. Yesterday I got to the end of my tether with Dolphin which had been acting really, really slowly for about a week, and I suddenly remembered I'd pointed the browser cache to the SD card when I was running out of internal storage.

I suppose I shouldn't grumble about the prices too much; after all the card can be reused in my next phone. What's really annoyed me lately though is seeing that Android tablets seem to all come with microSDHC slots when there's really no need -- standard SD would make it much cheaper for the end user and when a device has a 10-inch screen there's definitely going to be room for a standard-size slot.

Guest volatile_ink
I see what you mean, You think challenging Paul will attract his attention.

But why doing it like that? you can directly pm Paul if something is bothering you.

I've been on MCR for almost 12 months, firstly on the Hero forum and now on the Desire forum. Well worth the donation.

In January (when my subscription is up) I doubt if I'll be paying anymore money. Happy with what I've had and with what I've got.

Can't see why the latest MCR for Desire shouldn't last me another year, until I upgrade.

In order for me to make another donation, there'd have to be a good reason i.e. frequent updates and developments.

Yes, I know it's only £10 but not paying for nothing. Will donate once updates are available. ;)

Guest MacCarron
I've been on MCR for almost 12 months, firstly on the Hero forum and now on the Desire forum. Well worth the donation.

In January (when my subscription is up) I doubt if I'll be paying anymore money. Happy with what I've had and with what I've got.

Can't see why the latest MCR for Desire shouldn't last me another year, until I upgrade.

In order for me to make another donation, there'd have to be a good reason i.e. frequent updates and developments.

Yes, I know it's only £10 but not paying for nothing. Will donate once updates are available. ;)

I agree. But i think a lot of people are getting frustrated because even though you call it a donation, it is in fact a subscription, and that's how it is labeled in this very site. I payed for it with the same spirit with which i donated to xda, but once you call it a subscription most people (normal people?) expect more from it..some maybe even feel "robbed". Also the fact that Paul has been tweeting that "the update is probably coming later on this week" since october..well you get the idea. If i were him i'd do it old-school Cyanogen way: no ETAs.

Edited by MacCarron

Guest BigBearMDC

Paul isn't obliged to provide ROMs at all. You should be happy that he does. Furthermore, try following Paul on Twitter, you'll soon realise that he is working on many devices and providing MCRs for them. As everybody else here he's just human. I bet you wouldn't like to see comments like that when you're working the whole day just to make the life of the community only a little bit better. Take that into consideration ....

Best regards,

BB

does anybody have an idea, how to compare the speed of sdcard against the speed of nand

there is a terminal command

time [command]

which should messure the time a command takes, but is it a appropiate way to do?

ie compare

time cp /tempram/somefile /data/test

time cp /tempram/somefile /system/sd/test

any ideas?

Paul isn't obliged to provide ROMs at all. You should be happy that he does. Furthermore, try following Paul on Twitter, you'll soon realise that he is working on many devices and providing MCRs for them. As everybody else here he's just human. I bet you wouldn't like to see comments like that when you're working the whole day just to make the life of the community only a little bit better. Take that into consideration ....

Best regards,

BB

cudnt giv a f wot hes doin for other devices i paid for adfree so i could use the kitchen for MCR for my desire, theres no longer regular updates for desire so i wasted my money!

Big bear mdc, thanks for your reply. You come over very restrained, which perhaps isn't so easy with such provocation. I'll try and reply to you with the same level head.

First of all, private messages, or following Paul on Twitter etc, id rather not. This is an internet community that I hope is fully transparent. why not air laundry in the open for everyone to see. I'm not saying this is the right thread, its not. ,But its better than behind closed doors.

Secondly, I have watched others, and taken part in discussions/requests/debates regarding updates to this Rom. Only to be ignored by Paul. I found this extremely annoying and rude. I "showed my appreciation" by paying 30 pounds, (yes that's paying, not donating, for a subscription to "very regular updates". Then to be ignored, along with many others is disgusting. Paul has chosen this route as a way to make some money. Everyone has a right to make money in something for which they have a talent. But Paul has clearly broken away from the donate if you likeee method, to one in which he offered a service. It's very clever and SHOULD work well with his abilities. But as far as I'm concerned, Paul is fleecing. Why not at least have some manners and update us. If there's no update, tell us theres no update. Telling us soon, next week, or currently working on is bull. He isn't telling us there are no updates planned because the carriers are still pushing the desire out to customers. More people with a nice new desire, more potential customers to subscribe and show there appreciation! Tell me I'm wrong Paul.

P. S you know that camera fix is out for the sense hd Rom now. Don't know who finally cracked it, in days gone by it would have been you Paul, but I hear credit goes to some young kid ;)