07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BigBearMDC
cudnt giv a f wot hes doin for other devices i paid for adfree so i could use the kitchen for MCR for my desire, theres no longer regular updates for desire so i wasted my money!

Nobody talked you into subscribing to an adfree account, nor to use the kitchen. At the end of the day it was your decision, and bear in mind that there are many other kitchens that get/got updated more frequently. Paul introduced adfree and plus accounts to earn some money for the work he's doing every day for the community. So he offers some special, more time-intensive service to members which want to make a donation. There's nothing wrong about it. No offence, but in my eyes this is just ignorant. Go and cook yourself a ROM, you'll maybe realise that this job isn't done in 2 minutes. Now imagine doing this the whole day, not for only one device but for a large amount of devices. Its not like his ROMs are only available for adfree or plus members.

Big bear mdc, thanks for your reply. You come over very restrained, which perhaps isn't so easy with such provocation. I'll try and reply to you with the same level head.

First of all, private messages, or following Paul on Twitter etc, id rather not. This is an internet community that I hope is fully transparent. why not air laundry in the open for everyone to see. I'm not saying this is the right thread, its not. ,But its better than behind closed doors.

Secondly, I have watched others, and taken part in discussions/requests/debates regarding updates to this Rom. Only to be ignored by Paul. I found this extremely annoying and rude. I "showed my appreciation" by paying 30 pounds, (yes that's paying, not donating, for a subscription to "very regular updates". Then to be ignored, along with many others is disgusting. Paul has chosen this route as a way to make some money. Everyone has a right to make money in something for which they have a talent. But Paul has clearly broken away from the donate if you likeee method, to one in which he offered a service. It's very clever and SHOULD work well with his abilities. But as far as I'm concerned, Paul is fleecing. Why not at least have some manners and update us. If there's no update, tell us theres no update. Telling us soon, next week, or currently working on is bull. He isn't telling us there are no updates planned because the carriers are still pushing the desire out to customers. More people with a nice new desire, more potential customers to subscribe and show there appreciation! Tell me I'm wrong Paul.

P. S you know that camera fix is out for the sense hd Rom now. Don't know who finally cracked it, in days gone by it would have been you Paul, but I hear credit goes to some young kid ;)

I'm a moderator myself, and its just impossible to overlook all of the new posts in several forums. Maybe he did not even look at the posts you guys made yet, just because he hasn't got the time. Once again, he is not obliged to provide ROM updates. This is not the only kitchen, and its surely not possible to provide regular updates for each of them. You can try to make your own ROM. Its not too bad, a few weeks of hard work and intensive reading and you might end up with a half-usable ROM - if you start from the scratch. Regarding adfree and plus accounts, I can only repeat my previous statement.

Best regards,

BB

Guest Catalin Desire

As the Gingerbread update for Nexus One was just around the corner for a few weeks now, I bet Paul didn't consider this r9 / r10 project a high priority one anymore. And I think that's fair.

Now, that Gingerbeard for N1 is here, hopefully will get to see things moving again around here. Pacience is your friend! ;)

Cheers.

Guest hanelyco

gingerbread out, so next ROM should be full of 2.3 goodness. I was getting getting a little impatient myself with lack of updates, but I think Paul was just waiting for 2.3 instead of doing a big update on 2.2 that would be redundant a week later. So show em what you can do man B-)

Kali, Adam g, Richard Trip et all are not obliged to give updates. They release something, if you like there work, you donate as you SHOULD. I imagine most people don't donate however, and this is perhaps why Paul has chosen a different route. I wouldn't dream of harrassing Richard trip for updates. Paul has CHOSEN to have this set up. A FORWARD FACING set up, And it was a service that I subscribed to, not a donation for something already released. I chose to subscribe to Pauls ongoing work. He has many devices he works on? then I can only say he's bitten off more than he can chew at least in terms of not mugging off his customers. He works on many devices to maximize his earnings. We are the collateral damage. Very poor show.

@dunbad: Now you're just talking nonsense. You subscribed and I don't think that people put a gun to your head to make you. OK it was you mistake if you really say so but you could get all the roms from Paul for free because he publishes them when they are ready.

Edit: And about the people who you mentioned... How much roms would they publish if there were more ungrateful people like you around? I know some chefs that stopped making roms just because of people like you. Some food for thought.

Just don't renew your subscription and that's that.

Edited by bpivk

Guest MacCarron
gingerbread out, so next ROM should be full of 2.3 goodness. I was getting getting a little impatient myself with lack of updates, but I think Paul was just waiting for 2.3 instead of doing a big update on 2.2 that would be redundant a week later. So show em what you can do man B-)

The fact that 2.3 sources will be released in the coming weeks does not mean that HTC will push a 2.3+Sense for the Desire dude..hell, it will most likely never happen. And as such it is very unlikely that you'll see a 2.3 MCR for the Desire. Just like there's no 2.2 MCR for the Hero, while there's A LOT of perfectly working 2.2 Hero ROMs on XDA. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but i think the Desire will get 2.3+Sense only when they are released for the DHD/DZ and someone @ XDA ports both to our phones.

I suspect Paul is perhaps a little bit passed it, a little bit over the hill. Not much, but just a tad too old. Can't keep up with the pace.

I suspect dunbad isn't too hot with his spelling. ;)

P

@dunbad: Now you're just talking nonsense. You subscribed and I don't think that people put a gun to your head to make you. OK it was you mistake if you really say so but you could get all the roms from Paul for free because he publishes them when they are ready.

Edit: And about the people who you mentioned... How much roms would they publish if there were more ungrateful people like you around? I know some chefs that stopped making roms just because of people like you. Some food for thought.

Just don't renew your subscription and that's that.

No buddy, your talking nonsense. The people I mention have benefited from my donations already. I always donate. Its important for me that I DO donate if I use a Rom I like. Some of the roms, I get thanked for my donations like Alex and neophyte.(to prove my donations) 5 pound a pop. neophyte benefited twice for two roms. I honestly believe that if there were more people like me, Paul would not have to use this trick to raise money. But he uses this trick because most people DON'T donate. I'm NOT one of those people you refer to. But what's worse, people taking the devs for a ride, or Paul taking us for a ride. Both as bad as each other. No one held a gun to my head to make those donations, I saw I liked, I donated. Simple. Paul is different, there is a teenee bit of expectation from Paul with his set up. but however small, he fails on miserably.

No buddy, your talking nonsense. The people I mention have benefited from my donations already. I always donate. Its important for me that I DO donate if I use a Rom I like. Some of the roms, I get thanked for my donations like Alex and neophyte.(to prove my donations) 5 pound a pop. neophyte benefited twice for two roms. I honestly believe that if there were more people like me, Paul would not have to use this trick to raise money. But he uses this trick because most people DON'T donate. I'm NOT one of those people you refer to. But what's worse, people taking the devs for a ride, or Paul taking us for a ride. Both as bad as each other. No one held a gun to my head to make those donations, I saw I liked, I donated. Simple. Paul is different, there is a teenee bit of expectation from Paul with his set up. but however small, he fails on miserably.

Please contact me via PM / Email if you'd like to discuss this further.

P

Guest Iceberger

In all of this what i miss (except from updates) is a reaction from Paul.

I'm sure a regular status update will calm some people down.

Oh, I see Paul's already reacted to the reversed psychology of dunbad ;)

Edited by Iceberger

Guest Arty Marty

Was NOT 'blown away' with the nexus S

I think I will wait for a HTC phone with similar specs, (NFC etc etc) but with 4.3" screen, dual core cpu... oh and SENSE.. I do love sense...

So hopefully I will get another 6 months or so out of the desire with gingerbread.

I havent tried a phone with stock android - (had a 5 min look at a samsung with their fantastuc UI and wanted to break all my fingers to make sure I coiuld never do THAT again)

Does stock android intergrate all the things like grabbing peoples face book photo and adding it to your contacts etc?

Anyway - Thanks paul for making my desire useable...

Telstra in australia only just released 2.2 the other week (and its again covered in all their shitty apps you cant delete) Thats just lame...

Warmly, Marty

Guest Kiran J. Holla

I love R9. It has served me well. New things come out every day and I am not going to be flashing ROMs everyday.

However, I do have one pet peeve with the R9 which, no matter how much I tried, I have not been able to solve: making Google Maps updateable over the Market.

I think if Paul is able to help me solve that with R10, then I will be really happy!

Regards,

Kiran

Guest gubacsek
I love R9. It has served me well. New things come out every day and I am not going to be flashing ROMs everyday.

However, I do have one pet peeve with the R9 which, no matter how much I tried, I have not been able to solve: making Google Maps updateable over the Market.

I think if Paul is able to help me solve that with R10, then I will be really happy!

Regards,

Kiran

I solved that by baking a rom without maps, and I installed maps from the market. It is updateable now...

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I solved that by baking a rom without maps, and I installed maps from the market. It is updateable now...

Hasn't worked for me. Whenever I try doing that, the phone just goes into a Bootloop.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Shizophren

Hey guys. I cooked a rom for me without the htc mail app. But now i don't want to use the googlemail app anymore. I want the htc mail app back :-)

But how? Don't want to cook and flash a complete new rom. Could anyone extract the mail app for me, so i can try to push it via adb?

Guest fakefur
Hasn't worked for me. Whenever I try doing that, the phone just goes into a Bootloop.

Regards,

Kiran

so odd how different people have different experiences with the roms ... when the r9 wip first appeared i baked a custom one and have had no issues whatsoever with it ... battery life rocks ... all apps update from the market ... free memory is oodles (not that i try to stuff every app ever made onto my phone)

i have been tempted to bake another one without rosie as i don't use or like sense but this one works so well for me i'm afraid to do something that "breaks the mojo baby!", so to speak

i assume you did all the "full wipe / no titanium restore / initial reboot after install / etc etc / yada yada" stuff right?

@dunbad ... if there was a specific SLA you and paul signed when you paid the money to him and he is in violation of that SLA then you have a point BUT i signed up the same way (i assume) and don't remember any SLA being signed by myself or paul ... of course he is working on newer devices ... if he didn't do that he would still be making hero roms and we would be waiting for the desire roms to appear ... try to see beyond the end of your own nose if you can ... and chill out! enough s*** in the world already without creating more where there is no need ;)

Guest mkelso27

Does this ROM work with US Cellular's HTC Desire? I promise that I tried to read through this topic and find out for myself first, but there's over 100 pages to sift through. Thanks for any help.

Guest Pacemaker

Hi

I've cooked a rom with the kitchen and i have a problem.

I choosed as bootanimation the nexus version. But after flash and start it cames after the "HTC" a boot animation where is "android"-animation. If i choose another option in the kitchen only cames this "android" animation.

Whats the problem???

PS: When i flash LeeDroid Rom then cames the leedroid boot animation...

PS2: I cant change the boot anim with "boot animation changer" from market. It cames only the "android" animation

Edited by Pacemaker

Guest kongo09

I've been following the unfortunate discussion above about the update policy of the ROMs. While I might not agree with the tone of some of the comments, the discussion highlights an issue of the community.

Paul, can you please let us know where we stand with R9 and what the plans are for the future?

Cheers and enjoy upcoming Christmas!

Guest fakefur

i got notified of a system update today ... 28Mb and some ... apparently related to the market ... anybody know what this is and if we can apply it to rooted phones without breaking everything?

;)

Guest logicalextreme
Hi

I've cooked a rom with the kitchen and i have a problem.

I choosed as bootanimation the nexus version. But after flash and start it cames after the "HTC" a boot animation where is "android"-animation. If i choose another option in the kitchen only cames this "android" animation.

Whats the problem???

PS: When i flash LeeDroid Rom then cames the leedroid boot animation...

PS2: I cant change the boot anim with "boot animation changer" from market. It cames only the "android" animation

Just a bug in the ROM as far as I know. It's all over this thread and I think someone did have a fix somewhere. Backtrack through the pages and take a look.

And honestly, I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. Stick with it for a week or so, you may end up liking it.

Guest logicalextreme

For those interested, someone at xda has ported 2.3 to the Desire. It's unstable and some parts don't work yet, but that offers hope. Someone at Google has also noted that there isn't really a hard minimum CPU spec for Gingerbread, so the Desire should be able to run it fine.

But as for MCR -- I believe, Paul, that the concept of MCR is to be based on official Desire ROMs, correct? So if HTC don't end up pushing 2.3 to the Desire, is it likely that you'd have the time to incorporate it into MCR? I know that you've worked on porting the HD features, but would you consider 2.3 as out of your scope?

Guest logicalextreme

Wow! I wrote that and then phandroid posted an article about Paul putting the 2.3 launcher on the Market! I guess he's working on Gingerbread already!