07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest le_lutin
For those interested, someone at xda has ported 2.3 to the Desire. It's unstable and some parts don't work yet, but that offers hope. Someone at Google has also noted that there isn't really a hard minimum CPU spec for Gingerbread, so the Desire should be able to run it fine.

But as for MCR -- I believe, Paul, that the concept of MCR is to be based on official Desire ROMs, correct? So if HTC don't end up pushing 2.3 to the Desire, is it likely that you'd have the time to incorporate it into MCR? I know that you've worked on porting the HD features, but would you consider 2.3 as out of your scope?

To be honest, i'd see the HD ROM as being a bigger leap forward than 2.3.

What do you think 2.3 has that's worth giving up Sense for?

agree, just keep in mind:

- a few things gingerbread has we can't use because our hardware doesn't support (NFC, gyroskope, front-facing camera ...) anyway

- a few optimations we already have from kernel mods

- no proxy auth support, no socks support, no improvements on vpn support?

- developers can now obfuscate their code - yeah cool more bloatware available where we dont know what it does

- "we’ve also given developers native access to more parts of the system" - "but we don't provide 3party drivers"

could improve

+ well a native equalizer/dsp, well ok

+ better bluetooth support

+ 2 new videoplattforms, 2 new audio encodings supported

Edited by woti17

Guest Sally Mack
Problem with R9 and the latest "Voicesearch" update. Not able to update because of a signature error! What can i do? Desire rooted s-off

I simply removed it using titanium backup, then installed from market. Surprisingly it worked. Usually the apps are more stubborn than this one and require adb commands.

Guest Benjamin120

I've 2 problems with the R9 rom.

1. The phone doesn't check emails in the "standby/sleep-mode". This funktion does work in the original HTC-Rom.

2. Sometimes the phone ist very slowly. I must reboot the phone getting the normal speed.

Thanks for helping me.

Best regards Benjamin

Guest logicalextreme

Ah, nothing in particular. I'd just like to know where things are headed (and also the chance to play around with Gingerbread -- especially if it makes anything smaller, like buttons and so on).

That said, I'm about ready to give up Sense purely from a storage perspective; I've all but replaced it with adw now and although I love having the option and some of the applications I'm always running out of internal storage.

Agreed on the HD stuff though, especially the quickboot and new Sense stuff. Love to give that a go, I just can't be bothered flashing a completely different ROM at the moment!

Guest TheUntouchable
I simply removed it using titanium backup, then installed from market. Surprisingly it worked. Usually the apps are more stubborn than this one and require adb commands.

Thank you for the hint! After uninstalling it with titanium backup and rebooting it was possible to install it from the market.

Hi everyone - looking for a bit of help (apologies if this has already been answered in the last 100 pages)

I've been using the r9 ROM for months now, but this morning, after putting my SIM into an iPhone to test for a friend, WaveSecure has locked my phone.

In a right pickle now, don’t know pin (can't remember setting one up) doesn't recognise any usernames or email address' on the website. I'm guessing I didn't actually configure this at all (I’ve have no recollection) and it's just part of teh baked ROM??

Anyone got any ideas or help?

Many thanks in advance....

Ignore this question, sorted it - stupidly, I forgot that I did infact set it up - inclusing adding my wifes number as a "Buddy" - all sorted!

Edited by searla

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Thank you for the hint! After uninstalling it with titanium backup and rebooting it was possible to install it from the market.

Nope, uninstalling Voice Search using Titanium Backup and rebooting after that still doesn't work for me.

I am seriously considering re-baking a fresh R9 and flashing it after a complete, fullest of full wipes. Let me try to do that this weekend and will report back if my issues with Google Maps and Voice search are resolved then.

Regards,

Kiran

Nope, uninstalling Voice Search using Titanium Backup and rebooting after that still doesn't work for me.

I am seriously considering re-baking a fresh R9 and flashing it after a complete, fullest of full wipes. Let me try to do that this weekend and will report back if my issues with Google Maps and Voice search are resolved then.

Regards,

Kiran

Here's your solution:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/4237-new-voice-search/

Regards,

Diewi

Guest planeth

I can't update to the new version of gmail.

It downloads fine from market, then says isntallling and then installation unsuccesful. Could it have anything to do with this custom rom? Just wondering if anyone else here has the same problem?

I already tried deleting gmail.apk from system/apps, reboot, remove gmail with titanium, reboot, remove again, reboot (everytime i did something, i tried to install gmail from market again)

Btw, i still have gmail on my phone, no matter how i delete/uninstall it.

I can't update to the new version of gmail.

It downloads fine from market, then says isntallling and then installation unsuccesful. Could it have anything to do with this custom rom? Just wondering if anyone else here has the same problem?

I already tried deleting gmail.apk from system/apps, reboot, remove gmail with titanium, reboot, remove again, reboot (everytime i did something, i tried to install gmail from market again)

Btw, i still have gmail on my phone, no matter how i delete/uninstall it.

Because you don't have S-OFF. You can't delete the app from system without S-OFF. Go into fastboot and delete it using adb.

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /system

cd /system/app

rm Gmail.apk

Edited by bpivk

Because you don't have S-OFF. You can't delete the app from system without S-OFF. Go into fastboot and delete it using adb.

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /system

cd /system/app

rm Gmail.apk

I had the same problems and tried many things without success. This solution works for me.

Thanks bpivk

Edited by nb8k

Wow! I wrote that and then phandroid posted an article about Paul putting the 2.3 launcher on the Market! I guess he's working on Gingerbread already!

From Paul :- Desire / Nexus One MCR + Sense users, your update is coming! Pushing out r10 shortly (probably Monday now), Desire HD port still coming too!

Installed the r9 without any extra bits, and also tried the r9 with A2SD, but the phone gets stuck on the shining 'ANDROID' logo after the HTC screen. It keeps looping, and well, that's it!

Any thoughts as to why?

Guest kongo09
From Paul :- Desire / Nexus One MCR + Sense users, your update is coming! Pushing out r10 shortly (probably Monday now), Desire HD port still coming too!

Now that's the great news quite a few of us have been waiting for! I hope it includes the new gmail app as it is not available in Germany right now.

cheers!

Edited by kongo09

Installed the r9 without any extra bits, and also tried the r9 with A2SD, but the phone gets stuck on the shining 'ANDROID' logo after the HTC screen. It keeps looping, and well, that's it!

Any thoughts as to why?

The usual question is did you wipe your phone before installing?

And if the answer is yes type adb logcat in your computer and report where is the phone looping.

Guest irishandrew
The usual question is did you wipe your phone before installing?

And if the answer is yes type adb logcat in your computer and report where is the phone looping.

You also need to have an ext partition on your SD card. Using Amon recovery or Clockwork can partition it in the correct order for you, though back up your files first :)

You also need to have an ext partition on your SD card. Using Amon recovery or Clockwork can partition it in the correct order for you, though back up your files first :)

Thanks for that. I've missed it. Yeah a lot of people use a2sd and don't know that they need an ext partition even though it says so in the kitchen.

Guest shadamehr

I've read numerous forums including this, and tried all the different suggestions contained, but I'm still not a step further forward...

I keep getting "Package Signing" errors when trying to install the new Gmail and Voice Search that is out.

Just like i did on r9 with Maps and Street View in the past etc.

BUT, this time, following the advice of using Ti backup to uninstall Gmail and then try, I seem to have corrupted my EXISTING Gmail install, and have zilch now.

So can anyone suggest anything else to get them working.

I treid the terminal emulator suggestion ot uninstall, but I get a "Folder is not empty" error when trying that method.

So anyone any ideas what I can try next...?

Guest shadamehr

Regards,

Kiran

I tried exactly that.

Didn't work for me alas.

I seem to have corrupted my EXISTING Gmail install, and have zilch now.

I hope I've downloaded the correct file so try this:

1. Download the app from here and copy it to your /android-sdk/tools/ folder

2. Boot your phone into recovery

3. Open up a cmd and go into the tools folder

4. adb shell mount /system

5. adb push gmail.apk /system/app

Guest Arty Marty

I had a few issues with gmail this time around.

also I have not had much luck with ADB commands in the past....

solution. Do a google search for android commander and install that (windows software) which is pretty much like a file explorer type interface

reboot phone into recovery mode

plug in your usb cable

choose mount partition from teh recovery mode on phone

fire up android commander on pc, navigate to system/app/ folder

delete Gmail.app

delete Voicesearch.app

unplug usb cable

reboot phone

go to android market and install gmail

go to android market and install voice search

delete gmail and voice search icons from your home screens (if still there)

add them back

..... Thats what worked for me.

Hope it helped :))

Guest skyster
I had a few issues with gmail this time around.

also I have not had much luck with ADB commands in the past....

solution. Do a google search for android commander and install that (windows software) which is pretty much like a file explorer type interface

reboot phone into recovery mode

plug in your usb cable

choose mount partition from teh recovery mode on phone

fire up android commander on pc, navigate to system/app/ folder

delete Gmail.app

delete Voicesearch.app

unplug usb cable

reboot phone

go to android market and install gmail

go to android market and install voice search

delete gmail and voice search icons from your home screens (if still there)

add them back

..... Thats what worked for me.

Hope it helped :))

I tried the titaniumbackup and ADB methods and they didn't work. This one did the trick.

Thanks very much! Android Commander is a must have.

Guest kongo09
I tried the titaniumbackup and ADB methods and they didn't work. This one did the trick.

Thanks very much! Android Commander is a must have.

I hope we don't need this hassle with r10.