07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kongo09
Paul, it is possible to include data2ext in this rom?

Or can someone explain how i can do this? I dont know how i should do that...

yes, that would be awesome for r10

Guest shadamehr
I had a few issues with gmail this time around.

also I have not had much luck with ADB commands in the past....

solution. Do a google search for android commander and install that (windows software) which is pretty much like a file explorer type interface

reboot phone into recovery mode

plug in your usb cable

choose mount partition from teh recovery mode on phone

fire up android commander on pc, navigate to system/app/ folder

delete Gmail.app

delete Voicesearch.app

unplug usb cable

reboot phone

go to android market and install gmail

go to android market and install voice search

delete gmail and voice search icons from your home screens (if still there)

add them back

..... Thats what worked for me.

Hope it helped :))

I'll give this method a try to, but very much DOUBT it will work.

Because my issue is not in deleting Gmail.apk in the first place.

I can already do this using TiTanium Backup, or alternatively, via Root Explorer.

My problem is that when I DO delete Gmail.apk (or even rename it, if trying that alternative method), when I reboot my phone, IT COMES BACK!

I have no idea WHY, as I've not got to the bottom of it - something to do no doubt with it being a custom install from the last time this happened and Paul had to do an installer (perhaps).

But whatever the case, when I reboot, it comes back.

And alas, I can't install WITHOUT a reboot, as a reboot is needed to get it out of cache/memory.

So I seem to HAVE to over-install (hence why I'm now stuck), not remove and clean install, as I 'cant' remove it, as when I do delete, a reboot somehow brings it back.

I too second the notion, that I hope that with r10, all these multiple, regular, and repeated "package was not correctly signed" errors, are finally gone for good....

Thanks Marty, will try now just in case though...

Guest Martin__S

I'm getting reboot crashes with this ROM.

Is there anything worth capturing with ADB logcat etc to diagnose why it reboots ?

Standard prebaked version installed : r9-bravo-desire-modacocustomrom-withadditions-signed.zip

Radio version installed : 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14.zip (It failed with bootloop when packaged Radio was installed)

Before ROM install I did a full factory rest, wipe cache, wipe dalvik

Im pretty sure I can reproduce the crash in Google Maps - it starts maps up, plots my location, then reboots.

I've also had one when sending SMS

When it crashes it goes into a boot loop until battery is pulled. Strangely enough it boots to home screen, gives No SIM/Limited service for a second, finds the SIM and immediately reboots.

Its originally O2 handset, but officially unlocked by O2 now running Vodafone SIM

It does sound like a Radio issue and I'd love to get a stable ROM running. Ive subscribed, si I can now use the online kitchen to create a custom build.

Any advice welcome

Ta

Martin.

Guest shadamehr

Well it's not going well so far...

Because Android Commander requires the "Android SDK" kit to be on my PC, which it isn't.

So before anything else I had to download that.

Then when trying to run THAT installer, it tells me I need java (the full package, not the RT environment only). So now I'm having to downlaod and install that first too...

I'll report back though....

EDIT:

WoooooooH - a 35MB downlaod for Android SDK, and a 66MB download for Java SDK.... thats a lot of MB just to delete one file on my phone *lol* - which I am sure will magically reappear after reboot anyhow...

2nd EDIT:

Nah, I give up.... Java, once finally installed, needs to be registered, it seems, to work. And to register, you need to create an account with Oracle. No thanks.... FAAAAAAAR too much work, to delete one little piddly file.

And despite having installed it anyway, the Android SDK installer still won't let me install/continue, as it claims it is not detecting it.

Groan.

Thanks Marty though - none of it your fault mate!

Edited by shadamehr

Guest Ran Sagy

Because Android Commander requires the "Android SDK" kit to be on my PC, which it isn't.

Then when trying to run THAT installer, it tells me I need java (the full package, not the RT environment only). So now I'm having to downlaod and install that first too...

EDIT:

WoooooooH - a 35MB downlaod for Android SDK, and a 66MB download for Java SDK.... thats a lot of MB just to delete one file on my phone *lol* - which I am sure will magically reappear after reboot anyhow...

2nd EDIT:

Nah, I give up.... Java, once finally installed, needs to be registered, it seems, to work. And to register, you need to create an account with Oracle. No thanks.... FAAAAAAAR too much work, to delete one little piddly file.

And despite having installed it anyway, the Android SDK installer still won't let me install/continue, as it claims it is not detecting it.

Groan.

Didn't need to register myself, not sure why you think you have to. Anyway, Get the 32bit version of the JDK - even if you are on a 64 bit OS. Android SDK doesn't accept/detect the 64bit one as valid for the requirement.

Guest shadamehr
Didn't need to register myself, not sure why you think you have to. Anyway, Get the 32bit version of the JDK - even if you are on a 64 bit OS. Android SDK doesn't accept/detect the 64bit one as valid for the requirement.

I thought I had to register because despite installing it at least FIVE times now, and rebooting, it's NOT WORKING.

But I now know this is because I need the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit one.... as you've just said so.

*lol*

Oh well, back to the drawing board *lol*

Cheers Marty

Guest shadamehr

Well, that's the longest, most problematic, and difficult process I've yet had to go through, just to get Gmail to update on my phone.

But all Kudos to Arty Marty - his method was the only method (of LOADS I have tried) that finally worked.

So cheers Marty.

Here's just hoping r10 has none of these shenanigans, cos Paul's on the case bless him!

Cheers again!

I'll give this method a try to, but very much DOUBT it will work.

Because my issue is not in deleting Gmail.apk in the first place.

I can already do this using TiTanium Backup, or alternatively, via Root Explorer.

My problem is that when I DO delete Gmail.apk (or even rename it, if trying that alternative method), when I reboot my phone, IT COMES BACK!

you cannot delete with root explorer or titanium backup if you don't have s-off.

it will automagically reapear because your /system partition is not writable (which is needed for deletion), even if you get no error that it can't delete

only recovery allows mounting /system read/write then.

Guest shadamehr
you cannot delete with root explorer or titanium backup if you don't have s-off.

it will automagically reapear because your /system partition is not writable (which is needed for deletion), even if you get no error that it can't delete

only recovery allows mounting /system read/write then.

Thanks mate - glad to have had that explained to me. Much appreciated!

Guest Arty Marty

EDIT:

2nd EDIT:

Groan.

Dont give up mate.... the exact problem I had was that bloody file would not go away... Its worth getting android commander to work. its very handy - it wont be the last time you use it!

Marty

Update: Read your next message, glad you stuck with it... :))

The reason I think Paul installed these apps like he did was because

a) at that stage they allmost never got updated

:( it gave us more useable memory - which at the time noone was complaining about having!!! (including me!)

So, no fault for paul, he was dojng the best possible job at the time... and hey, we all learnt some more about how android security works in the process, so nothing lost - everything gained!!! :)

Edited by Arty Marty

Guest Kiran J. Holla
The reason I think Paul installed these apps like he did was because

a) at that stage they allmost never got updated

:) it gave us more useable memory - which at the time noone was complaining about having!!! (including me!)

So, no fault for paul, he was dojng the best possible job at the time... and hey, we all learnt some more about how android security works in the process, so nothing lost - everything gained!!! :)

Ah! Now we are talking. Marty, can you throw some light now exactly what it is that we learnt? I have been reading a lot, trying to figure out what exactly the issue is here. What exactly has Paul done that is causing these errors with GMail, GMaps, Voice Search, etc.?

Also, why is it that deleting the APK solves the problem for GMail but does not solve the problem for GMaps?

Would love to understand this a bit better.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Kiran J. Holla

This is what I did:

1. Uninstalled VoiceSearch using Titanium Backup
  2. Since I don't have S-OFF, I booted into Recovery and then connected to the PC and deleted /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
  3. Rebooted normally
  4. Downloaded and installed VoiceSearch from the Android Market

This works just fine!

However, I tried exact same steps for GMaps and it failed :)

I captured a Logcat when the GMaps installation was failing - but it doesn't provide many clues - at least to me. It just says Unknown reason -8 and that is greek and latin to me.

Any help here?

Regards,

Kiran

alogcat.2010_12_13_11_53_03_0530.txt

Guest Martin__S

Another reboot crash.

This time whilst downloading an app from marketplace over 3G - so again a 3G radio issue ?

Notification status still said downloading, so I don't think it had reached the installation stage. Oh hang on, on reboot the app is there, so it obviously did install it (camera360)

Rebooted back into homescreen and is working again, unusual as it normally goes into a reboot loop when this happens.

Guest blaadtje
I had a few issues with gmail this time around.

also I have not had much luck with ADB commands in the past....

solution. Do a google search for android commander and install that (windows software) which is pretty much like a file explorer type interface

reboot phone into recovery mode

plug in your usb cable

choose mount partition from teh recovery mode on phone

fire up android commander on pc, navigate to system/app/ folder

delete Gmail.app

delete Voicesearch.app

unplug usb cable

reboot phone

go to android market and install gmail

go to android market and install voice search

delete gmail and voice search icons from your home screens (if still there)

add them back

..... Thats what worked for me.

Hope it helped :))

thx a lot.

Worked like a charm..

Guest blaadtje
This is what I did:
  1. Uninstalled VoiceSearch using Titanium Backup
  2. Since I don't have S-OFF, I booted into Recovery and then connected to the PC and deleted /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
  3. Rebooted normally
  4. Downloaded and installed VoiceSearch from the Android Market
This works just fine!

However, I tried exact same steps for GMaps and it failed :)

I captured a Logcat when the GMaps installation was failing - but it doesn't provide many clues - at least to me. It just says Unknown reason -8 and that is greek and latin to me.

Any help here?

Regards,

Kiran

I updated my Maps.apk & street.apk yesterday.

The steps i had todo was delete the Maps & street in recovery mode.

Reboot

in normal mode..

Install the extracted Maps and street from the r8 or r9 zip. (i'm still using the R8)

Do a install of both of them and REBOOT..(forgot this the first time and had a SHARED blablabla error)

When the phone is up and running again you can uninstall them via manage applications and install the new one from the market..

my 2 cents

Edited by blaadtje

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I updated my Maps.apk & street.apk yesterday.

The steps i had todo was delete the Maps & street in recovery mode.

Reboot

in normal mode..

Install the extracted Maps and street from the r8 or r9 zip. (i'm still using the R8)

Do a install of both of them and REBOOT..(forgot this the first time and had a SHARED blablabla error)

When the phone is up and running again you can uninstall them via manage applications and install the new one from the market..

my 2 cents

Tried all of this. Doesn't work for me.

Just a wild thought: I am puzzled that all other Apps from Google seem to be updating fine and only Maps refuses to budge; could this be something to do with my location - India?

I think I read somewhere that the "Navigation" option is provided to only those who are in countries where Navigation is supported. Given that, could there be separate versions of GMaps for different countries? Just wondering aloud.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Ondra81

Hello,

am sorry to disapoint you but I also live in a country without navigation service and my maps updated just fine.....Well I removed them entirely and replaced by Brut maps in order to enable navigation, but it is another story.

BTW I removed maps by going to Clockwork recovery, mount System, adb shell, rm...... and that was it, restart, install Brut maps and done.

Guest alex_hk90
Just a wild thought: I am puzzled that all other Apps from Google seem to be updating fine and only Maps refuses to budge; could this be something to do with my location - India?

GMail refuses to successfully update (the latest one) for me (I'm running MCR r9), and I'm in the UK.

Anybody else having issues with the default Internet browser? Basically it slows the phone to a crawl on R9 (and R8 previously). It really annoys me. I can get round it by using another browser no problem (xscope 6 I like). However the default browser randomly starts itself and the phone freezes until I can get into Task Killer and kill it.

Any ideas? This is spoiling the phone for me (that and the lack of internal memory if you have seen my other thread). I like the default browser and would use it if I could. Yes, I had wiped before install

Paul, if you are reading this, is this likely to be fixed in R10?

Paul, if you are reading this, is this likely to be fixed in R10?

I highly doubt that this is the rom's fault. I never had any problems with my browser and I do A LOT of surfing with it.

And I've posted an option for internal memory if you really need it.

Maybe this will work? http://android.modaco.com/content/software...-apk-downloads/

I've got it from a different source but it just installed itself without any problems. I expected at least some resistance (and use of adb) on it.

But always do a backup just in case you run into any problems. Some users report problems, some failures and for some it just works.

Edited by bpivk