07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Maybe this will work? http://android.modaco.com/content/software...-apk-downloads/

I've got it from a different source but it just installed itself without any problems. I expected at least some resistance (and use of adb) on it.

But always do a backup just in case you run into any problems. Some users report problems, some failures and for some it just works.

Nope nothing worked?

Guest Kiran J. Holla
BTW I removed maps by going to Clockwork recovery, mount System, adb shell, rm...... and that was it, restart, install Brut maps and done.

I tried that except that I was installing the normal Maps app from the market. It doesn't work. It gives a SHARED USER INCOMPATIBLE (or something like that) error.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest marc1974
Is there a way to change Boot animation? All tricks I've tried do not help =(

You need to have s-off for this to work. Install android commander, then copy your bootanimation.zip to system/media. :)

Guest TheUntouchable
You need to have s-off for this to work. Install android commander, then copy your bootanimation.zip to system/media. :)

Not true, it works with s-on too. The only thing you need is root.

Edited by TheUntouchable

Guest Lord_Phoenix

Not true, it works with s-on too. The only thing you need is root.

Tried that and it didn't work. I do have root, I can verify that the zip file ie the file I need, but even test shows me default Android animation. BTW I baked a ROM with Nexus animation and its still default Android one.

Guest TheUntouchable
Tried that and it didn't work. I do have root, I can verify that the zip file ie the file I need, but even test shows me default Android animation. BTW I baked a ROM with Nexus animation and its still default Android one.

The Zip File must not be compressed or it will not work.

Guest ShirazS

Hi Guys,

Could someone please tell me which Custom Partition table to use with this ROM?

I currently have the N1 table as I was experimenting with AOSP Roms but want to change back to Sense.

Guest marc1974

I too struggled to do this but persistence paid off in the end. I could not write to system/media whilst booted, after s-off I could, copied bootanimation.zip to system/media no problem. Just what worked for me, perhaps overkill but it worked.

Maybe you have do it in recovery?

Edited by marc1974

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Nope, uninstalling Voice Search using Titanium Backup and rebooting after that still doesn't work for me.

I am seriously considering re-baking a fresh R9 and flashing it after a complete, fullest of full wipes. Let me try to do that this weekend and will report back if my issues with Google Maps and Voice search are resolved then.

Regards,

Kiran

This is what I did:
  1. ...
This works just fine!

However, I tried exact same steps for GMaps and it failed :)

Regards,

Kiran

OK. Have just rebaked a fresh R9 without Maps. Did a full wipe of the phone - factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache, wipe battery stats - and then flashed the new ROM.

This time, I avoided restoring using Titanium Backup and went straight to the market to install GMaps. Voila! GMaps installed successfully!

However, this time installation of Gmail failed from the market. So, I went into recovery and deleted /system/app/Gmail.apk using adb.

Rebooted and installed Gmail from the market - success!!

Very happy today :)

The only problem with this approach is that I have had to manually setup my phone once again from scratch! Took me a couple of hours to do that, but was worth it.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Kiran J. Holla
OK. Have just rebaked a fresh R9 without Maps. Did a full wipe of the phone - factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache, wipe battery stats - and then flashed the new ROM.

This time, I avoided restoring using Titanium Backup and went straight to the market to install GMaps. Voila! GMaps installed successfully!

Very happy today :)

The only problem with this approach is that I have had to manually setup my phone once again from scratch! Took me a couple of hours to do that, but was worth it.

Regards,

Kiran

Sweet! What a time to get GMaps to update over the Market. Just in time since GMaps 5.0 is now available for download!

This just made my day!

Kiran

Guest fakefur
Sweet! What a time to get GMaps to update over the Market. Just in time since GMaps 5.0 is now available for download!

This just made my day!

Kiran

hehehe when i got the update today i immediately thought of you and wondered if you would have to go thru your nightmare again

glad you didn't

:)

Guest Kiran J. Holla
hehehe when i got the update today i immediately thought of you and wondered if you would have to go thru your nightmare again

glad you didn't

:)

Yup! I am glad as hell that I got this working just in time. GMaps 5.0 rocks!

Regards,

Kiran

Guest htcnick

Hey, anyone else having trouble showing web pages with flash in it it. I have downloaded the latest adobe flash player but still not working. Any ideas?

Cheers

Guest logicalextreme
Yup! I am glad as hell that I got this working just in time. GMaps 5.0 rocks!

Regards,

Kiran

Glad you got Maps and GMail update finally Kiran! The 5.0 update to Maps is pretty nice.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Glad you got Maps and GMail update finally Kiran! The 5.0 update to Maps is pretty nice.

Yes logicalextreme, after all I have tried, it feels good to finally get it working. Feels like I have got some sort of a PhD on this :)

Guest Benjamin120

I've a problem with the phone-memory-size

My HTC Desire showed me, that I'v only 16,74 MB available memory (phone).

The aplication management showed me, that there are only 4 programs on the SD-Card. I baked my Rom in the kitchen with the A2SD and I've a ext3 partition on the SD-card. On the ext3 partiton from the SD card are some folders and files.

How can I see, where programs are installed?

How can I see, which aplications/files used the internal phone memory.

Thanks for helping me.

Best Regards.

Edited by Benjamin120

@Benjamin120: Use root explorer or similar app and you'll see the size of the different directories in the upper corner of the screen.

Note that even though a2sd moves your /data folder it doesn't move the /data/data folder which holds the cache and takes a some of internal memory.

You can use cache cleaner or a similar program to clean the cache and recover some memory.

Guest Benjamin120

Thank you for helping me.

I've clean the cache but they cleaned 8xx kb from the phone (2.16 MB from the SD Card).

I've used the root explorer to look at some folders.

The data/app folder is on the ext3, because 105,98 MB used, 657,57 MB free (status of ext3 memory)

The data/data and the data/dalvik-cache folder is on the phone (as you said), because 131,38 mb used, 16,25 MB free (status of phone memory)

So I must use the A2SD+ to get more phone-space? And so I've to bake a new ROM with A2SD+ und restore the dates with the platinum backup?

Guest Arty Marty
Thank you for helping me.

I've clean the cache but they cleaned 8xx kb from the phone (2.16 MB from the SD Card).

I've used the root explorer to look at some folders.

The data/app folder is on the ext3, because 105,98 MB used, 657,57 MB free (status of ext3 memory)

The data/data and the data/dalvik-cache folder is on the phone (as you said), because 131,38 mb used, 16,25 MB free (status of phone memory)

So I must use the A2SD+ to get more phone-space? And so I've to bake a new ROM with A2SD+ und restore the dates with the platinum backup?

I cant recommend a2sd+ strongly enough... while a2sd helps, in comparison to a2sd+ its very lame.

* a2sd only lets you move programs the developer wants to let you move

* even then it only moves part of it

* its not accessible when the card is mounted for access via your pc. (so no good for widgets etc witch need to be accessible all the time...

a2sd+

*moves everything

* independent of developer allowing it

* moves it all

* accessible when card is mounted for pc use (so works with widgets)

:))

I cant recommend a2sd+ strongly enough... while a2sd helps, in comparison to a2sd+ its very lame.

* a2sd only lets you move programs the developer wants to let you move

* even then it only moves part of it

* its not accessible when the card is mounted for access via your pc. (so no good for widgets etc witch need to be accessible all the time...

a2sd+

*moves everything

* independent of developer allowing it

* moves it all

* accessible when card is mounted for pc use (so works with widgets)

:))

you mix up 2 things:

a2sd+ is a2sd + moving dalvik-cache too, but a2sd has also nothing todo with developers programming

(a2sd simple moves the /data/app and /data/app-private folder from /data to sd and makes a symlink to it, a2sd+ does the same for dalvik-cache, and frees app the space the dalvik cache occupies)

/data/data remains in internal storage and includes some app-caches, app-data, app-preferences, some libs etc, from the apks that are moved with a2sd

/data/data can occupy quiet a lot of internal memory too, depending on programms, known storage-eaters are google earth, all adobe things ....

and

native froyo app2sd which is dependend on dev's moving programms to sd

Edited by woti17

I updated my Maps.apk & street.apk yesterday.

The steps i had todo was delete the Maps & street in recovery mode.

Reboot

in normal mode..

Install the extracted Maps and street from the r8 or r9 zip. (i'm still using the R8)

Do a install of both of them and REBOOT..(forgot this the first time and had a SHARED blablabla error)

When the phone is up and running again you can uninstall them via manage applications and install the new one from the market..

my 2 cents

This strangely enough worked for me and maps 5.0..

Don't see how doing it like this would change anything but it does.. :0

Thanks for the post! :)

Don't see how doing it like this would change anything but it does.. :0
Because you've removed it from /system/app which isn't writable and installed it so it's now in /data/app which is movable.

I usually do something similar. I move the apps that can be updated from /system/app to /data/app before flashing and that's it. No hassle.