07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Rebus,

I generally bake only the following into the ROM:

• Google Applications:

• News and Weather
    • Voice Dialer

:

:

Brilliant - a great help. I'll keep this list.

thanks mate.

cheers

Guest Jerry13

I've been quite happily using this rom since Paul first put it up but today got the dreaded Low on Space message! I am now having problems syncing Gmail, can't install any new apps and some of my installed apps have disappeared! Now I was under the impression that using the a2sd+ option meant that all my apps were installed to the card automatically. If this is the case then where has all my space gone? I am now down to 13mb! My memory card is formatted correctly so I'm at a bit of a loss here. Anybody help me out?

Now I was under the impression that using the a2sd+ option meant that all my apps were installed to the card automatically. If this is the case then where has all my space gone?
That's true. But apps also need some internal memory because they are cached on internal memory (/data/data/ directory). Use cache cleaner to recover some memory.

Guest Jerry13

Tried cache cleaner and only got back 856kb and I had to uninstall Adobe Flash to get it to install. Now I'm up to 20mb free. Going to try and install ES file explorer and see what the hell is taking up all the room.

Tried cache cleaner and only got back 856kb and I had to uninstall Adobe Flash to get it to install. Now I'm up to 20mb free. Going to try and install ES file explorer and see what the hell is taking up all the room.

I use ES and really like it but it's not going to tell you anything as it only gives access to the sdcard. You'll need Root Explorer (which I highly recommend).

If you follow Kiran's list above, you'll get an ROM that gives a lot of available memory. My list is a little different but the principle is the same. The problem is that many of the apps are installed into the system partition (under /system/app) and they consume a lot of internal memory. To use a2sd/a2sd+, you need to put as many of the apps in /data/app (data partition) as possible. The other advantage is that the these apps can then be downloaded from the market and are upgradable. Note that some aren't available on the Market but there may be alternatives.

So rebake and reflash. If it's R9 to R9, you may not need to wipe, otherwise Titanium backup current apps and restore after.

I have 121 apps listed and Quick System Info says my free space is a2sd=263Mb, internal=78Mb, which is loads.

cheers

Edited by rebus

I noticed that QuickOffice is mistakenly listed as going to data when the script is actually pushing it to system. Moved (Installed) it to data but it refuses to run from there. It will only run from system. Anyone know why?

I have another problem, I can't apply any zips (e.g. TitaniumBackup) in recovery. They are complaining with

Failure at line 2

copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:

?

Edited by rebus

Guest landroids

Hi I am new with android (not to technology though), after a lot of reading/researching I managed to use unrevoked to root my HTC desire and have the clockworkmod 2.5.0.7 recovery installed with no issues, I have created a goldcard just in case and my next step is to update my first ROM which make me a bit nervous. I have a few questions regarding updating my ROM with one from MoDaCo:

1. Will it touch my phone recovery or I can be sure that I will be always able to use clockworkmod to restore my Nandroid backup if required?

2. Do the "pre-baked" ROMS flash my Radio? I learned that's the most dangerous part of the process and I don't want to do it if it is not necessary (I have 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27). I want to try with one of the pre-baked ROMS first and see how it goes before I bake my own.

3. What is the most estable version so far? I know R10 is on the works, I am not sure about flashing R8 or R9

Thanks a lot for your help, I hope I will be able to answer some questions from other members soon.

Cheers!

Hi I am new with android (not to technology though), after a lot of reading/researching I managed to use unrevoked to root my HTC desire and have the clockworkmod 2.5.0.7 recovery installed with no issues, I have created a goldcard just in case and my next step is to update my first ROM which make me a bit nervous. I have a few questions regarding updating my ROM with one from MoDaCo:

:

1. Will it touch my phone recovery or I can be sure that I will be always able to use clockworkmod to restore my Nandroid backup if required?

I've flashed 2 Desires so far, one repeatedly. It doesn't seem to affect recovery and I've had to recover quite often. If you've got a Nandroid backup of your current setup, you should be safe. I also suggest you put your sdcard into a card reader on the PC and copy the entire contents to your PC. I've twice reformated the card and copied contents back: once when creating an ext3 partition, and once when the card got corrupted.

2. Do the "pre-baked" ROMS flash my Radio? I learned that's the most dangerous part of the process and I don't want to do it if it is not necessary (I have 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27). I want to try with one of the pre-baked ROMS first and see how it goes before I bake my own.

Not sure, probably. I don't used the pre-bakes. I would expect so though. A ROM is usually tested with a particular Radio - for R9 its 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23. Post ROM I've flashed other Radios on occasion.

3. What is the most stable version so far? I know R10 is on the works, I am not sure about flashing R8 or R9

I've used R8 and recently upgraded to R9. Both are stable. Use R9 in preference to R8. Haven't played with R10 yet. The a2sd/a2sd+ versions will need an ext3 partition on the sdcard. I used ROM Manager to create a 512K partition with 0 swap (this reformats your sdcard).

I was nervous at first as well but I personally think, if you pay attention, do backups, it's pretty low risk. However, I am prepared to be philosohical if **it happens.

Guest landroids

I've flashed 2 Desires so far, one repeatedly. It doesn't seem to affect recovery and I've had to recover quite often. If you've got a Nandroid backup of your current setup, you should be safe. I also suggest you put your sdcard into a card reader on the PC and copy the entire contents to your PC. I've twice reformated the card and copied contents back: once when creating an ext3 partition, and once when the card got corrupted.

Not sure, probably. I don't used the pre-bakes. I would expect so though. A ROM is usually tested with a particular Radio - for R9 its 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23. Post ROM I've flashed other Radios on occasion.

3. What is the most stable version so far? I know R10 is on the works, I am not sure about flashing R8 or R9

I've used R8 and recently upgraded to R9. Both are stable. Use R9 in preference to R8. Haven't played with R10 yet. The a2sd/a2sd+ versions will need an ext3 partition on the sdcard. I used ROM Manager to create a 512K partition with 0 swap (this reformats your sdcard).

I was nervous at first as well but I personally think, if you pay attention, do backups, it's pretty low risk. However, I am prepared to be philosohical if **it happens.

Thanks Rebus, I will wait a bit to see if someone can confirm about the Radio flashing, I don't want to downgrade my radio firmware; the safest choice is I guess to bake my own flavour of the ROM. I did take a full backup of my SD and created the ext3 partition as well (I did it in Ubuntu), thanks for the advise!

Guest Jerry13
I use ES and really like it but it's not going to tell you anything as it only gives access to the sdcard. You'll need Root Explorer (which I highly recommend).

If you follow Kiran's list above, you'll get an ROM that gives a lot of available memory. My list is a little different but the principle is the same. The problem is that many of the apps are installed into the system partition (under /system/app) and they consume a lot of internal memory. To use a2sd/a2sd+, you need to put as many of the apps in /data/app (data partition) as possible. The other advantage is that the these apps can then be downloaded from the market and are upgradable. Note that some aren't available on the Market but there may be alternatives.

So rebake and reflash. If it's R9 to R9, you may not need to wipe, otherwise Titanium backup current apps and restore after.

I have 121 apps listed and Quick System Info says my free space is a2sd=263Mb, internal=78Mb, which is loads.

cheers

Yeah I assume a full wipe and reinstall is the way to go. There is something eating away at my memory, I uninstalled a few apps including Adobe Flash which got me back to 20mb, yet within an hour I was back down to 7mb! At one point Cache Cleaner removed 4mb from internal memory. Just what would put 4mb into a cache within an hour?

Yeah I assume a full wipe and reinstall is the way to go. There is something eating away at my memory, I uninstalled a few apps including Adobe Flash which got me back to 20mb, yet within an hour I was back down to 7mb! At one point Cache Cleaner removed 4mb from internal memory. Just what would put 4mb into a cache within an hour?

Well, I often get 20 to 30 Mb per day. Haven't bothered to analyse it (as I have plenty of space for the moment :unsure: ) but Quick System Info or System Panel or even Root Explorer might assist.

Thanks Rebus, I will wait a bit to see if someone can confirm about the Radio flashing, I don't want to downgrade my radio firmware; the safest choice is I guess to bake my own flavour of the ROM. I did take a full backup of my SD and created the ext3 partition as well (I did it in Ubuntu), thanks for the advise!

It's just a zip file. Open it up and see if the file "radio.img" is at the root. It's next to the "boot.img" file. I suspect it will be there.

Guest mikehiow

I'm currently on R8, do I need to do a full wipe to go to R9, as I don't really fancy losing all my messages, apps etc. again.

Or is there a decent backup method available for all these yet?

I'm currently on R8, do I need to do a full wipe to go to R9, as I don't really fancy losing all my messages, apps etc. again.

No you don't unless you start experiencing any problems with R9.

Guest Jerry13
Well, I often get 20 to 30 Mb per day. Haven't bothered to analyse it (as I have plenty of space for the moment :unsure: ) but Quick System Info or System Panel or even Root Explorer might assist.

Found it. Bloody Contacts app was using 90mb! I suspect this has something to do with using My Phone Explorer as it had multiple entries for nearly every number. I can't sync with Gmail now though so just about to reinstall R9.

Guest Jerry13

Got another problem now. Followed Kiran's advice and baked a minimal rom, took out the gmail.apk and tried to install using clockworkmod. Gave it a full wipe but the install stops almost as soon as it begins. Rebooting the phone seems to show that it has installed, home screen is back to factory etc but that bloody gmail app immediately tries to update and of course fails even though it isn't meant to be there! I'm going to try R10 now and see if that makes a difference.

baked a minimal rom, took out the gmail.apk and tried to install using clockworkmod.

Do a full wipe, install a minimal rom and install gmail from market. You don't have to install it using clockwork.

Guest Jerry13

Tried that. Gmail won't install from the market and deleting the gmail.apk from the rom before installing leads to an install failure. I've got R10 running now so hopefully no more problems.

Tried that. Gmail won't install from the market and deleting the gmail.apk from the rom before installing leads to an install failure. I've got R10 running now so hopefully no more problems.

I've been able to delete from the zip but it does seem to cause problems. Better to use the zip as is, then delete afterwords using Root Explorer. I also don't use gmail. K-9 is my choice for all my accounts.

Good to hear things have improved with R10. I'll give it a go shortly.

Guest Jerry13

Yeah I'm liking R10 so far, certainly seems a lot faster than R9 but then that could be because of the problems I was having. I really want to change the gmail.apk because of this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=847035

Not a massive problem but it annoys the hell out of me having to constantly hit the "Show Pictures" button!

Unfortunately Paul hasn't added either Adfree or the reboot into recovery option yet. I found both of those a great help. Anyway it's off to R10 I go! LOL!

I've also downloaded Root Explorer (good find) so will try changing the gmail.apk through that.

Edited by Jerry13

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I'm liking R10 so far, certainly seems a lot faster than R9 but then that could be because of the problems I was having. I really want to change the gmail.apk because of this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=847035

Not a massive problem but it annoys the hell out of me having to constantly hit the "Show Pictures" button!

Unfortunately Paul hasn't added either Adfree or the reboot into recovery option yet. I found both of those a great help. Anyway it's off to R10 I go! LOL!

I've also downloaded Root Explorer (good find) so will try changing the gmail.apk through that.

This post has been edited by Jerry13: Jan 3 2011, 03:15

Hi!

Cook a ROM without the Gmail application and install it. Finally install the Gmail application from the market. Hope it could fix your problem.

See ya.

Guest dharrison39
Any chance of the market getting update in this ROM?

+1, I would be happy to upgrade to r10 if that had the new market but it doesn't either, anyone know a workaround or is it simply a waiting game?

Guest ukracer
to download again in the "Downloads" section. You will have to login using the same Google Account that you used while you purchased them.

Regards,

Kiran

Hi can anyone explain how i can do this. When I click the market app it goes to the market without having to log in.

Also how can I confirm which account I used when purchasing them...I think I know but not sure. lol

Thanks in advance

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi can anyone explain how i can do this. When I click the market app it goes to the market without having to log in.

Also how can I confirm which account I used when purchasing them...I think I know but not sure. lol

Thanks in advance

You would have setup a Google Account to use on your phone - that is the account that the Android Market uses to list the apps you have purchased.

Also, if you have setup multiple Google Accounts on your phone, Android Market will always use that Account which you setup first.

Regards,

Kiran