I'm messing with the tcp settings now.

kernel.sched_features = 24188

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 900

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 5

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 156

kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1

EDIT damn I can't even copy and paste correctly.

corrected the above.

The TCP taken from

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1726

seems to have no adverse effects, but battery life seems better

Edited by fards

Guest Amdathlonuk

Hi All,

Hope you can give me a halping hand.

Trying to do this over ADB however when I enter 'ADB remount' I get 'operation not permitted'.....

I have my SDK folder installed, and it WAS working with my Nexus, latest drivers are also installed.

thank you all.

actually besides the better battery life, now I have better wifi connectivity.

how's that related ?

If I knew that I'd be selling my services to any company will to pay for them :P

Hi All,

Hope you can give me a halping hand.

Trying to do this over ADB however when I enter 'ADB remount' I get 'operation not permitted'.....

I have my SDK folder installed, and it WAS working with my Nexus, latest drivers are also installed.

adb remount doesn't work on the streak

Guest andycqos
Lol, don't do that..

I'm messing with the tcp settings now.

kernel.sched_features = 24188

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 900

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 5

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 156

kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1

EDIT damn I can't even copy and paste correctly.

corrected the above.

The TCP taken from

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1726

seems to have no adverse effects, but battery life seems better

I havent changed the tcp settings, but Im not sure if the battery life is any better or not.

Since 3pm this afternoon the phone has been losing 2% per hour sitting doing nothing

I havent changed the tcp settings, but Im not sure if the battery life is any better or not.

Since 3pm this afternoon the phone has been losing 2% per hour sitting doing nothing

no such thing as "Nothing" :P

even when powered off it needs to keep some resources going...

battery use is effected by what applications you have installed and running.

(I found launcherpro to really kill the battery, which is a pity as its a great app)

was trying to workout today why the battery was dropping quickly, looks like it was last nights update of ultrakeyboard, the latest version from this afternoon seems to have slowed things down..

Guest andycqos
no such thing as "Nothing" :)

even when powered off it needs to keep some resources going...

battery use is effected by what applications you have installed and running.

(I found launcherpro to really kill the battery, which is a pity as its a great app)

was trying to workout today why the battery was dropping quickly, looks like it was last nights update of ultrakeyboard, the latest version from this afternoon seems to have slowed things down..

You knew what I meant :(

With the same apps installed and the same settings as on 1.6 (ie GPS off etc) the battery life after updating to 2.1 was atrocious. Even on airplane mode the battery dropped dramatically within a few hours.

I think these changes have made a bit of an improvement - but then again, from going to bed to waking up 2% per hour would be a 14-18% drop which doesnt actually seem any better - but still nowhere near what I was getting on 1.6

Could be my imagination but the battery seems to charge quicker too :P

You knew what I meant :)

With the same apps installed and the same settings as on 1.6 (ie GPS off etc) the battery life after updating to 2.1 was atrocious. Even on airplane mode the battery dropped dramatically within a few hours.

I think these changes have made a bit of an improvement - but then again, from going to bed to waking up 2% per hour would be a 14-18% drop which doesnt actually seem any better - but still nowhere near what I was getting on 1.6

Could be my imagination but the battery seems to charge quicker too :P

I think that last ones a placebo, would be nice to think it.

if I leave my on airplane/sync off/backlight minimum/silent at night, then I've usually lost 3-4% in the 6 hours I'm asleep, and sometimes I think that's down to reading adilko for a while.

If I turn it off overnight I usually have lost less than 1%

after using these tweaks the first thing I noticed was how little the battery had dropped riding home, it lost 4% in 45 minutes, with mixzing playing over bluetooth and mytracks recording my route, I hadn't turned off data or sync, but the screen was off. I think that's pretty impressive, I wasn't expecting battery boost from this at all.

try watchdog lite and set it at a low check frequency, but low threshold, to see if there's anything running higher than it should be.

Guest andycqos

if I leave my on airplane/sync off/backlight minimum/silent at night, then I've usually lost 3-4% in the 6 hours I'm asleep, and sometimes I think that's down to reading adilko for a while.

after using these tweaks the first thing I noticed was how little the battery had dropped riding home, it lost 4% in 45 minutes, with mixzing playing over bluetooth and mytracks recording my route, I hadn't turned off data or sync, but the screen was off. I think that's pretty impressive, I wasn't expecting battery boost from this at all.

try watchdog lite and set it at a low check frequency, but low threshold, to see if there's anything running higher than it should be.

I wasnt getting any watchdog alerts, but it was set to 80% threshold. Ive knocked it down to 50% and re-installed juiceplotter, so we'll see how it goes

Ignore the tcp settings, they are causing faster battery drain.

Just tested them after reformat with nothing else on there

Update, 57 min since unplugged 3x 5 min calls over Bluetooth, mixzing and tune announcer running via scrobble droid, mytracks recording with GPS.

Currently on 99% battery, lost another 1% in last 5 mins with Wi-Fi on since I got home.

Pretty happy with that. :P

Edited by fards

Guest andycqos

From 20% to fully charged in 2.5 hours. That seems quicker to me, but I dont really know

Battery life is still an issue though. With absolutely no usage - actually in airplane mode for most of the day - from 100% to 20% in 16 hours. That means if I charged my phone up at night and actually used it in the morning it would be dead by lunchtime :lol:

edited to add - ok, so I reapllied the changes tonight just after the battery had fully charged and the phones now been sitting for 3 hours and only just dropped by 2% ... weird!

Edited by andycqos

Guest andycqos
From 20% to fully charged in 2.5 hours. That seems quicker to me, but I dont really know

Battery life is still an issue though. With absolutely no usage - actually in airplane mode for most of the day - from 100% to 20% in 16 hours. That means if I charged my phone up at night and actually used it in the morning it would be dead by lunchtime :lol:

edited to add - ok, so I reapllied the changes tonight just after the battery had fully charged and the phones now been sitting for 3 hours and only just dropped by 2% ... weird!

Spoke to soon. Battery life through the day was no better

I think Ive done something wrong though. When I run sysctl -p I get multiple entries for the parameters Im supposed to be changing. Is this normal, and if not how can I fix it?

post-741347-1284498386_thumb.jpg

Spoke to soon. Battery life through the day was no better

I think Ive done something wrong though. When I run sysctl -p I get multiple entries for the parameters Im supposed to be changing. Is this normal, and if not how can I fix it?

post-741347-1284498386_thumb.jpg

have you run teh echo command too many times?

need to edit the sysctl.conf to delete the duplicates

Guest radddogg
Still the same :lol:

Rooted it succesfully with Universal Androot - although I got an error trying to install superuser - and installed Busybox, but still get the same "usage" error after doing the first line

edited to add - ok, ignore that got it working.

The problem was with the spacing in the command, and I put the device serial number into the mount.

Care to elaborate?

AdministratorCommandPrompt-adbshell.jpg

Rooted, busybox installed and I get that.

Care to elaborate?

AdministratorCommandPrompt-adbshell.jpg

Rooted, busybox installed and I get that.

Why are you trying something that no more than 5 posts above you states it doesn't work.

The streak doesn't do adb remount

Guest spences10

This is working really well for me now - I was having some issues like the post above but that was just me adding the whole script from the OP into the auto.sh script like a numpty

Have noew removed and just have sysctl -p there works on boot fine now.

For the past two nights now I have put my streak into airplane mode before going to bed around 22:30 and the device still has 99-100% battery left @ around 06:30

Still cant really acheive the ~850 quadrant score more ~750 but still super snappy on home screen transition

Guest Anthony Baxter

I'm also giving fards' latest setting (minus the tcp stuff) a whirl and it seems much more responsive, although quadrant threw a wobbly.

Thank you for the effort all you nice people put in to figuring this out!

Guest popetodd

Not using the TCP settings I achieved 48% left from a full charge after 24 hours with moderate use.

I am getting consistent 830-860 in Quadrant, but that is only after I make sure I've stopped all other processes so take that as a free running-no interrupt figure.

Not bad, best battery life on any phone I've ever owned! :lol:

Edited by popetodd

Guest popetodd
Hi.

You need to put a space after the comma

mount -o remount, rw /system

Interesting, in Unix command line options comma's aren't used.

When I run that command it doesn't work, if I remove the comma it works.

Are you sure that should be there?

Guest andycqos
have you run teh echo command too many times?

need to edit the sysctl.conf to delete the duplicates

Yes, probably. How do I edit the file?

Is this why Im not seeing the same battery performance as everyone else seems to be?

Why are you trying something that no more than 5 posts above you states it doesn't work.

The streak doesn't do adb remount

It worked for me - or at least that message went away - I put the device number in before the "/system"

If you look at the error message, thats what its telling you to do.

For radddog, you can get the device number using "adb devices" before entering shell

Edited by andycqos

For the past two nights now I have put my streak into airplane mode before going to bed around 22:30 and the device still has 99-100% battery left @ around 06:30

Yep - same here, am using under 1% battery overnight now compared to 10-15% previously!!

Freakin awesome :lol:

Have also been doing the airplane mode trick (cell standby thing) so not sure which is giving me the good battery performance?

Guest maskaler

Is there a way that we can

A) Get this pinned as it seems a fairly important topic that everyone will want to read, and

:lol: Keep the first post in the topic up-to-date with the 'latest' set of commands (not sure if you're doing that already Fards).

Ant