speed boost and battery boost as well

Guest fards

I'm trying to setup this, I've created the files, put it at the good places in the streak, but when I type in 'sysctl -p' I have sysctl not found..

Did something wrong ?

Thanks

you dont have busybox installed

Yeah, was it, bad install of BB :lol:

Thanks.

More of this, what is mor important settings for battery improve ?

have a read of the thread, have a look at some of the other links I've provided or try DaveHods suggestions and see if you can find any more that work.

The ones in the initial post work okay for me, battery is pretty good I can easily do two days with no data connection (wifi only) but there's always scope for more tinkering, and that was why I started the thread to start discussion and investigation.

obviously data over 3g is still pretty harsh on battery, but there's not a lot we can do about that one just yet.

Guest jutley
You need to locate the sysctl.conf file here /system/ect/sysctl.conf

If you havent got RootExplorer I'd suggest getting it from the market, if you dont want to do that use the push/pull adb commands pull the file from the location mentioned. open the file up it will contain all the text in your sscreen shots.

Remove the text and replace it with the lines mentione:

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000

kernel.sched_features = 24188

Push the file back to where you got it from, once you have done this there is no need to do any more 'echo' commands as the values have been updated

Or if you have RootExplorer navigate the the file and edit it directly.

if i downloaded the file and changed the above lines can i just copy the file in with root explorer to system/etc/

Guest spences10
if i downloaded the file and changed the above lines can i just copy the file in with root explorer to system/etc/

Hi jutley,

Yes:

Open note pad copy the below into it:

Save the file as sysctl.conf, copy it to your sdcard, from RootExporer copy the sysctl.conf file form where you placed it on your sdcard to /system/ect/

To load it type sysctl -p from terminal as su, also dontforget to add this command to the system/bin/autorun_test.sh script so it runs when you restart your device

Guest jutley

Hi jutley,

Yes:

Open note pad copy the below into it:

Save the file as sysctl.conf, copy it to your sdcard, from RootExporer copy the sysctl.conf file form where you placed it on your sdcard to /system/ect/

To load it type sysctl -p from terminal as su, also dontforget to add this command to the system/bin/autorun_test.sh script so it runs when you restart your device

[/quotSave the file as sysctl.conf

sure it isnt sysctl.txt

Guest jutley

what do i type in the system/bin/autorun_test.sh script do i need # or not can you type exzactly what i need to type in there and i will copy and paste it in thanks.

Guest jutley

i am getting this when i type in terminal

$ $su

# sysctl -p

sysctl: bad line 4: 1 tokens found, 2 needed

#

ok checked the sysctl.conf file some how to many 0 on the end appeared from no where so have edited them and saved it and now on terminal i get

$ $su

# sysctl -p

so is this it now do i just exit and reboot my device and yes i have added sysctl -p to autorun_test.sh script

Edited by jutley

Guest DelSan

I did the dirty way, and wrote it up in notepad, dropboxed it to the phone.

Root Explorer copied it to etc, checked sysctl in root explorer and removed the carriage return boxes that notepad left in there, and edited the other with root explorer.

Very nicely found trick! My phone was sitting there for 3 hours and was still on 100% :lol:

Only issue I noticed was with those tcp settings though I couldn't browse the net so well, it would only half load some pages.

So uped the values a touch and the pages are loading B)

The values i've got for tcp now are:

keepalive_time = 2900

probes - 7

intvl 156

Hope that helps, let me know if i've made a mistake with those though!

Edited by DelSan

Guest jutley
i am getting this when i type in terminal

$ $su

# sysctl -p

sysctl: bad line 4: 1 tokens found, 2 needed

#

ok checked the sysctl.conf file some how to many 0 on the end appeared from no where so have edited them and saved it and now on terminal i get

$ $su

# sysctl -p

so is this it now do i just exit and reboot my device and yes i have added sysctl -p to autorun_test.sh script

so fards how do i know the hack is working and the script has loaded sucesfully in autorun is there anyway of checking ?

Guest jutley

dontforget to add this command to the system/bin/autorun_test.sh script so it runs when you restart your device

the command should not go in autorun_test.sh it should go in runauto_test.sh this was confirmed to me by fards so people please corect.

Guest mmmputch
dontforget to add this command to the system/bin/autorun_test.sh script so it runs when you restart your device

the command should not go in autorun_test.sh it should go in runauto_test.sh this was confirmed to me by fards so people please corect.

Which one is the correct place to place the command? Is is autorun_test or runauto_test? I originally had it in the autorun_test and I thought it worked, but now I am confused which is the correct place to place this command. Does it matter?

Which one is the correct place to place the command? Is is autorun_test or runauto_test? I originally had it in the autorun_test and I thought it worked, but now I am confused which is the correct place to place this command. Does it matter?

I clearly stated in the first post, To use run_autorun etc

You can always try going lower with the settings, then back off when you start to see issues, tbh Ive been a bit lower than I posted for a while, but I'd rather give people safe values to start with and encourage them to experiment... :lol:

Guest jutley

runauto_test.sh is the correct one informed by fards himself

Guest mmmputch
I clearly stated in the first post, To use run_autorun etc

You can always try going lower with the settings, then back off when you start to see issues, tbh Ive been a bit lower than I posted for a while, but I'd rather give people safe values to start with and encourage them to experiment... :lol:

Thanks. I'll delete the sysctl -p from the autorun_test then. I was just curious because I have seen that people had success with either place for the command.

It is always better to start off safe, but I want the best performance possible, and so far my setting has been running great!

Guest popetodd
Aren't you using Ubuntu though?

No, I can and do run Ubuntu on it though. It's crap, no mouse and worthless soft keyboard support but it does run.

I use the O2 2.1 release in daily use, I like not hobbling my half grand device.

The running of Linux on this thing is described in another thread somewhere around here, the guy who is having problems running Linux should take a look at that thread as it talks about it in detail.

The link: http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/h...xus-oneandroid/

Edited by popetodd

Guest bhull521

So does lower latency plus higher granularity equal longer battery life?

Also I've lost track...what is the stock latency and granularity setting?

By the way thanks for this topic and a couple of others. My Streak is tweaked and running good.

I just found the following

The preferred way to tweak these settings was brought by androcheck here. Just a reminder:

Code:

# Step 1: Mount debugfs (which is a virtual filesystem like /proc/ or /sys/)

mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug

# Step 2 (optional): Display the current scheduler flags

cat /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

# Step 3: Set the flag NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS

echo "NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS" > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

# Step 4: Unmount debugfs again

umount /sys/kernel/debug

I would actually skip the unmounting step since it doesn't bother to have it there and then you can play with the different parameters at /sys/kernel/debug directly.

I would like to emphasize my point about the kernel features tweaking, using an example with my current settings (only NORMALIZED_SLEEPER disabled):

Code:

# mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug

# echo NO_NORMALIZED_SLEEPER > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

# cat /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features | sed "s/ /\n/g"

NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS

NO_NORMALIZED_SLEEPER

WAKEUP_PREEMPT

START_DEBIT

AFFINE_WAKEUPS

CACHE_HOT_BUDDY

SYNC_WAKEUPS

NO_HRTICK

NO_DOUBLE_TICK

ASYM_GRAN

LB_BIAS

LB_WAKEUP_UPDATE

ASYM_EFF_LOAD

NO_WAKEUP_OVERLAP

LAST_BUDDY

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_features

So I would highly recommend tweaking the sched_features only through the /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features where you actually know what you are doing.

Then to make it permanent you can grab the numerical value from /proc/sys/kernel/sched_features and write it, for example, to the sysctl.conf.

Guest jutley
Ever since I have gone to 2.1 my battery usage has gone balls. Anyone else?

Oh yes crap i did the tweak and was loosing 30% overnite so had to remove tweek