Swap issues

Guest Totyasrác

Guest de_shepherd
I just bought a class 6 sd card and wanted to use swap but i'm not really sure if i got it right what i have to do.

At the moment i am using a2sd (rom: FLB 1.6b) with a class2 card, so can i keep all my apps if i use the ("su"+) "a2sd remove" command before i change the cards?

One possible pitfall is that we use a2sd to allow us more space for apps ... thus if you try to move them back there may not be enough space!

- a2sd lowmem-moderate (Do i need that command now with FLB 1.6b?)

I'm on a 1.6b and this setting makes no difference in terms of my user experience (in terms of increased speed) so I have put it back to default.

Guest Markus Arnold
Might be interesting if you downloaded the SD card speedtest app from the market and reported the results for the class 2 and class 6 cards .... I've a class 2 card which is reported as being much faster by this test so it would be interesting to get a direct comparison between what it reports a class 2 and a class 6 as achieving.

Sorry i saw your post when i already had installed the new class 6 card. I selected the sd after i read some tests which compared most of the sd cards on the market. No 1 was a class 10 sd by kingston i think, and i bought no 2 Adata 8 gb class 6. But actually i cant tell if its really fast then the sd before...

One possible pitfall is that we use a2sd to allow us more space for apps ... thus if you try to move them back there may not be enough space!

Yeah thought that as well, and deinstalled the biggest apps, so i had enough space.

I'm on a 1.6b and this setting makes no difference in terms of my user experience (in terms of increased speed) so I have put it back to default.

when i use "a2sd check" there it states that moderate is the standard (default??) setting....

BUT, all in all i can't say that there is a difference to the performance before... (i made a swap 128mb and a 512mb ext2-partition, then in terminal: su, a2sd reinstall, a2sd reswap)

I'm not really sure when i check the "a2sd check"-log - How can i see if swap is correctly working??

Edited by Markus Arnold

when i use "a2sd check" there it states that moderate is the standard (default??) setting....

Sorry I should have been clearer. I set it to phone default (rather than a2sd default):

su

a2sd lowmem-default

Seems to make no noticable difference.

Edited by Daz555

Guest Markus Arnold

@daz: hm maybe i'll se default then, too

More and more i doubt that swap is running right now.

a2sd works fine. (facts: FLB 1.6b, 128mb swap, 512mb ext2)

here is the a2sd logfile, hope you guys are able to read it:

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$su

# a2sd check

[ ] Apps2SD is launching...

[ ] Starting Apps2SD Check Program.

[ ] Searching for Mount Point...

[] Mount point /system/sd located.

[ ] Checking for ext partition

Darktremor Apps2SD Status Report

===============================================================

Legend: []=Setting is correct

[]=Setting is correct, but not optimal.

[]=Setting is incorrect and needs to be fixed.

===============================================================

Partition	 - [] Mounted as EXT3

Apps		  - [ ] Linked to SD Card.

[ ] No Apps2SD Flag File not found.

[] Programs run from SD card

To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Private Apps  - [ ] Linked to SD Card.

[ ] No Apps2SD Flag File not found.

[] Private Programs run from SD card

To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Dalvik Cache  - [ ] Regular directory.

[ ] Dalvik to /cache flag file not found.

[ ] Dalvik to SD flag file not found.

[] Dalvik runs from Int. Storage.

To run from SD card, type a2sd cachesd.

To run from /cache partition, type a2sd cachepart.

Swap		   - [ ] Partition present.

[ ] No Swap flag file not found.

[] Swap starts.

To deactivate swap, type a2sd noswap

ZipAlign	   - [] Not running at boot.

To activate it, type a2sd zipalign

Dalvik Heap(MB)- [] 24m

Low Memory

Killer Settings- [] 1536,3072,4096,7680,8960,10240

Note: Values are in pages.

1 page = 4KB memory.

Values represent the following:

1st number = Foreground App

2nd number = Visible App

3rd number = Secondary Server

4th number = Hidden App

5th number = Content Provider

6th number = Empty App

Property Patch - [] File System Ready property

found.

[] Boot image init.rc patched.

[] For a list of commands that you can use with Apps2SD

Type:  a2sd help
-Is Swap working already?? -Should i move the (dalvik?) cache to sd? - What is jit? edit: found the a2sd-sysinfo and swapspace commands: swapspace:
# a2sd swapspace

[ ] Apps2SD is launching...

[ ] Starting Darktremor Apps2SD Version 2.7.5 RC2 2010-08-09

Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 128196608 bytes

UUID=8aaafe64-df1c-435c-8710-0dcfd99c68b0

swapon: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3: Device or resource busy

[ ] Checking for Dalvik Heap Size.

[ ] Starting Darktremor Apps2SD in swapspace mode

[ ] Swap Space Information:

[ ] SwapTotal:		125188 kB

[ ] SwapFree:		 121264 kB

[ ] Setting File System Ready property to 1.

as i see, there is some swapspace used, but what does this error (swapon: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3: Device or resource busy) mean?

Edited by Markus Arnold

Guest goce.nakov
Thx for the post

One final question

How do you actually set swappines?

By running "a2sd swappy## where ## is a number between 00 and 100" in console emulator, or with something else?

Please write the metod.

Being a n00b, it's kind of hard for me :)

In terminal emulator, first type "su" then command for the swappiness as discribet "a2sd swappy 20" for example.

I am having a problem running A2SD and Swap i think... I followed Azurrens Guide, set swap size to 64 and ext2 to 1024.

But now when i type su A2SD check in the Terminal Emulator it says that Ext partition is found but not mounted!?? "Your partition may be using an EXT4 partition..." :) Therefore also moving Dalvik to SD fails!

Enabling JIT seems to have worked by the way, as my Linpack Score is about 4,7, which doesnt seem too bad to me ;)

Can anyone of you please tell me how to finally enable A2SD and Swap right??

Hope i dont have to do the whole process again... :(

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by mrand

• 2 months later...
Guest wasabiiro

2 mrand: What is your SD card class? If it's 2 then you need to stick to 32 mb swap (and it's a safer option anyway). 64 didn't work good for me either.

2 Markus Arnold: According to Azurren a2sd lowmem-command does the same as Autokiller app.

a2sd lowmem-optimum made my Pulse much more stable and responsive. In particular it soved wi-fi problem. I might try a2sd lowmem-moderate, but just out of curiosity as I'm happy with multitasking of the optimum option.

If anyone knows how to get rid of boot up sound (and animation) please share this.

2 mrand: What is your SD card class? If it's 2 then you need to stick to 32 mb swap (and it's a safer option anyway). 64 didn't work good for me either.

2 Markus Arnold: According to Azurren a2sd lowmem-command does the same as Autokiller app.

a2sd lowmem-optimum made my Pulse much more stable and responsive. In particular it soved wi-fi problem. I might try a2sd lowmem-moderate, but just out of curiosity as I'm happy with multitasking of the optimum option.

If anyone knows how to get rid of boot up sound (and animation) please share this.

Depending on your rom, deleting /system/media/bootanimation.zip should get rid of the animation. I don't know about the sound.

Oh, thanks man! to be honest i completely forgot about this post..

I solved it and nowadays everything is working quite well! :)

If i remember right, repartitioning did the trick for me!

I´m using a 8gb class 6 card and except for some reboots i´m still happy with the rom, but of course i´m just waiting to have some time and finally start using cyanogenmod (before gingerbread comes to our low-end-devices :) )

Guest wasabiiro
Depending on your rom, deleting /system/media/bootanimation.zip should get rid of the animation. I don't know about the sound.

This just made my phone switch from FLB boot animation to the default one. I've also tried setting ro.config.hw_boot_animation=0 in /system/build.prop -- didn't help either.