Possible fix for jerky display and some speed increases

Guest Stephen Hyde

Anyone else getting reboots since using this mod? Check your battery status to see the last time your Streak was restarted.

check your back cover, that's the usual reason for reboots

Guest jnovello
Anyone else getting reboots since using this mod? Check your battery status to see the last time your Streak was restarted.

Yes! Just sitting at my desk with the phone flat on the table and it rebooted all by itself. What's more annoying is after the screen is unlocked it does not respond to touch for a good 12-20 seconds.

Guest TheBigAK
Any new insights into what is causing the black & white video?

Wiping the Dalvik cache didn't work for me.

I tried the 2d acceleration mod with 64mb dalvik and even wiped dalvik and still had instability and other problems. Since reverting to 40 mb dalvik my phone has been working fine with 2d acceleration enabled! No black and white videos so far and no more rebooting!

Guest jamezwarner

I would suggest anyone with back cover issues could look at soldering a copper strip between the two terminals that sense a short if the back cover is on - it's a stupid system anyway!

James

Guest TheBigAK
I would suggest anyone with back cover issues could look at soldering a copper strip between the two terminals that sense a short if the back cover is on - it's a stupid system anyway!

James

I agree it is stupid, but I have a feeling my rebooting was due to something else because it is too much of a coincidence that when I reset my dalvik cache back to 40mb that all my problems have gone away... I am not 100% sure that this is the reason, but I just wanted to share what has worked for me. Wiping the dalvik when it was set to 64mb and rebooting did not solve my issues. I will post a message here if my black and white video problems return...

ive just done an experiment to see, dropped the dalvik back to 40 from the 64 I've been using, and got black and white camera for the first time.

cleared dalvik cache, and its gone back to colour.

played around a bit.

put it back to 64m without clearing the cache and instant b&w camera.

cleared the cache and colour is back again..

ergo black and white appears to be a dalvik cache issue.. maybe its not being cleared properly for those who say clearing the dalvik cache doesn't work

Guest spences10
I tried the 2d acceleration mod with 64mb dalvik and even wiped dalvik and still had instability and other problems. Since reverting to 40 mb dalvik my phone has been working fine with 2d acceleration enabled! No black and white videos so far and no more rebooting!

Whats the 2d acceleration MOD? is it in this thread?

ive just done an experiment to see, dropped the dalvik back to 40 from the 64 I've been using, and got black and white camera for the first time.

cleared dalvik cache, and its gone back to colour.

played around a bit.

put it back to 64m without clearing the cache and instant b&w camera.

cleared the cache and colour is back again..

ergo black and white appears to be a dalvik cache issue.. maybe its not being cleared properly for those who say clearing the dalvik cache doesn't work

After posting earlier in this thread saying I didn't have the B&W issue, I went to play a video the other night while away and guess what? B&W with tearing.

Cleared the dalvik cache, re-booted and everything was good again.

Guest Stephen Hyde

provided device is rooted you can try following using adb or terminal on device :

su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot[/code]

will take a while to boot up while android dexopt's things

I agree that it is a Dalvik cache issue, I set my cache back to 40 and all has been fine since. I was also getting random reboots. might try setting back to 64 and clear the cache, see if all is well then.

Does anyone know what we gain by increasing the Dalvik cache size?

Guest Stephen Hyde
I agree that it is a Dalvik cache issue, I set my cache back to 40 and all has been fine since. I was also getting random reboots. might try setting back to 64 and clear the cache, see if all is well then.

Does anyone know what we gain by increasing the Dalvik cache size?

not actually certain to be honest, last i read the cache is only used if jit is active (which is not in dells eclair build

Guest jnovello

I had the B&W problem after I first changed the prop, but after the next reboot I never saw it happen again. I am having problems with the screen not responding upon wake up, so I am rebooting a few times a day.

Guest stinky817

I had the problem with the B&W camera... surprisingly it still took a video ok, and what i did was just reboot my device, and it was all good after that, haven't had a problem since

debug.sf.hw=1 is the edit - its in my build.prop

After reading through this entire thread, rooting, and installing the build.prop file from here it all went pear shaped. I'm not sure if build.prop corrupted on the way across but I also had the lock screen buttons in the wrong place and couldn't drag them to unlock the screen. Lots of messing around I finally decided to reinstall the standard 2.1 OS (mines a UK O2 spec).

With it back to stock I used Universal Androot to root the Streak and then made only one change to build.prop as above. Also installed ADW Launcher while I was at it.

It took several minutes for the Streak to settle down after the reboot but ever since the screen manipulation operations have been belting along at a rapid pace. It is operating faultlessly and I am not tempted to do anything else to it at all. I would say that, right now, the Streak has the "feel" of my Nexus One on Android 2.2!! That one little change to the build.prop has been very rewarding.

My suggestion to those who are going to try this is to make one change at a time, run it for a while to see if it does for you, before moving on to the next change.

Me? I'm stopping where I am. This is more than good enough for me :lol:

Thanks Paul and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. It has been a major benefit to my Dell Streak.

Cheers.

Guest mrmrmrmr

with this mod, I have smaller icons and widgets onthe screen but they occupy the same amount of place.

Is it possible to make them occupy less place and let me use more icons in a row ?

Guest parks387
with this mod, I have smaller icons and widgets onthe screen but they occupy the same amount of place.

Is it possible to make them occupy less place and let me use more icons in a row ?

download adw launcher. works great!

Guest mrmrmrmr
download adw launcher. works great!

I know adw launcher but I wonder what this screen density is for ?

making things smaller is really useless if they will occupy the same place. Am I missing something ?

Yeah learn some Java, rip the launcher 2 apart, make the changes and repack it. Easy....

Get on with it. :lol:

Guest Reddy232

Replaced the build.prop file.. Great tweak but had the Black and White issue..

Cleared the dalvik-cache and it all worked out..

Thanks a lot for the tweaks guys :lol: B)