Possible fix for jerky display and some speed increases

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest mrmrmrmr

I am not trying to achieve something which needs development. Just trying to understand why people select lower density. What is the advantage if it will not supply more space ?

I am not trying to achieve something which needs development. Just trying to understand why people select lower density. What is the advantage if it will not supply more space ?

because

just because

Guest SomeoneStoleMyYodafone

Hi guys, I've some different and possibly interesting observations on the black-and-white issue.

It seems to me that booting (or rebooting) my Streak when it is charging... with debug.hw.sf=1... causes B&W video.

To cut it short, I was just about to tear my hair out when I noticed this behaviour quite by accident. Previously I'd applied and removed the sysctl.conf edits, but I needed to rule them out.

So in utter exasperation I did a factory data reset. Immediately after this I edited build.prop and set debug.hw.sf = 1, without touching the heapsize or doing the sysctl.conf edits.

The same issue could be reliably reproduced - B&W video after phone was started when it was charging. Unplugged charger. Rebooted with charger unplugged and all was fine.

At no point did I try clearing the dalvik-cache, though.

Anyone want to check this out? Or am I headed for the funny farm?

P.S. I'm now back to debug.hw.sf=0. IMO I'm not going to trade sluggish UI menus for embarrassing B&W video...

Edited by SomeoneStoleMyYodafone

Guest bostonguy

Hey guys, I'm looking to just make the edits to the build.prop file that restores the native Android app menus (if that's what I understand you've done here) without all of the other edits. I've already customized my build.prop file some and my Streak is fine and stable as is.

Does anybody (Stephen?) know which line I should change to just get the stock menus?

Additionally any listing of all the changes in this file (provided in this thread) wold be great if it exists.

Thanks for any help, and great hacking/tweaking stuff going on here!

Guest lbj23numb1

when ever i do a normal reboot the video and camera turn black and white... i have to clear dalvik to fix everytime.... is there a way to permanently fix this

Guest Mirrdhyn
Hey guys, I'm looking to just make the edits to the build.prop file that restores the native Android app menus (if that's what I understand you've done here) without all of the other edits. I've already customized my build.prop file some and my Streak is fine and stable as is.

Does anybody (Stephen?) know which line I should change to just get the stock menus?

Additionally any listing of all the changes in this file (provided in this thread) wold be great if it exists.

Thanks for any help, and great hacking/tweaking stuff going on here!

In your build.prop, I mean that it is the ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=0

Because, when I diff my previous file and the new file, I have two difference :

Previous build.prop :

debug.sf.hw=0

ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=1
New build.prop :
debug.sf.hw=1

ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=0

Could you get back to us if I am wrong or not ?

Thank you.

Edited by Mirrdhyn

In your build.prop, I mean that it is the ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=0

Because, when I diff my previous file and the new file, I have two difference :

Previous build.prop :

debug.sf.hw=0

ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=1
New build.prop :
debug.sf.hw=1

ro.build.FEATURE_BENDER_UI=0

Could you get back to us if I am wrong or not ?

Thank you.

yep the bender ui is the dell menu tweak, so disabling it gives stock android

Guest neil tring

Hmm thought i'd register and ask a question lol

I've edited the build.prop rebooted etc but nothing appears different, specially with the menu still being on the right hand side. Running 2.1, rooted, busybox installed. Not sure what im doing wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Guest bostonguy
yep the bender ui is the dell menu tweak, so disabling it gives stock android

Thanks guys, that worked a treat.

Now if we could just get the stock Android taskbar and shade (and portrait lock screens). Hopefully the custom rom's will start flowing once Dell gives up all the right bits.

Thanks again.

Guest Mirrdhyn

In your build.prop, you have :

ro.sf.lcd_density=120
And in the stock build.prop, you have :
ro.sf.lcd_density=160

In the stock build.prop, you have the "native" definition of your screen.

As you like :)

Guest wyxwyx
In your build.prop, you have :

ro.sf.lcd_density=120
And in the stock build.prop, you have :
ro.sf.lcd_density=160

In the stock build.prop, you have the "native" definition of your screen.

As you like :)

Ok, but does it mean higher screen resolution (>800x480) or this is the same just smaller icons...?

Guest Mirrdhyn

No change for the screen resolution I mean, is just to change the dots per inch (dpi) setting.

But, it is possible that I am wrong.

Edited by Mirrdhyn

Guest wyxwyx
No change for the screen resolution I mean, is just to change the dots per inch (dpi) setting.

But, it is possible that I am wrong.

I took it back to 160.

Bigger resulution or not the 120? Anybody?

Guest Mirrdhyn

As I said in my previous comment, this parameter doesn't change the resolution of your screen, you have forever 800x480.

But, this parameter change the dpi settings.

With 120, you feel have the bigger resolution but no :)

If you change this parameter on your Microsoft Windows, your screen resolution doesn't change too, but you feel the same as on your Streak.