Possible fix for jerky display and some speed increases

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Stephen Hyde

ok folks ive been messing about with this for a bit now and it seems stable and to get rid of alot of the lag/scrolling/jerkyness.

my build prop is :

http://downloads.nitdroid.com/djsteve/streak/build.prop

this disables most of the dell /o2 edits, changes the dalvik heapsize to 64mb (seems to make a decent difference) and sets debug.sf.hw to 1 to enable hw gfx composition apprently. - in other words it allows the streaks gpu to have some more work rendering the main ui rather than doing it in software. browser seems to be even faster rendering pages now also.

you may want to edit this prop though as the lcd density is set to 120 in it :lol:

cheers and any results are happily recieved

i think the sf.hw may reduce quadrant bench slightly but i personally find performance better with it set to 1

Guest gingernator

I love the old style menu, that pissed me off something rotten. The LCD density has made my ultra keyboard, ultra small! so I may amend that, but all in all good work.

Edited by gingernator

Guest MrPokeylope
yup the VM definitely gives a boost, after testing for a day only the benchmarks go down with sf.hw everything else is good :lol:

dolphin HD V3 is scarey fast with it :)

This is fantastic. I might change the density size again, But this is one seriously worthwhile tweak.

Now just to perform your sysconf tweak fards! :(

Streak just keeps pleasing me. To think the only thing that stopped me getting an HTC phone was the size of the sd card! :) haha.

Guest MrPokeylope
I would change the title of this thread to include stock menus :lol:

I'm still discovering the awesomeness of this tweak!

It's like you saved the device from dells crap! :) Ah... I love modding communities.

the wee menu across the bottom ROCKS :(

The size of everything just needs some tweakage for me though. Text is too wee for meeee :) Whats the original setting? and what setting would be advised as an intermediary?

Guest MrPokeylope
160 is stock, 140 doesn't really make that much difference, so I would say 120 or stock

Ah good. I set it to 160 a few minutes ago and just rebooted.

DELIGHTED.

My bezial wallpaper is running even nicer with this on.

the changes in menu, and removal of all the o2/dell useless crap (rss feeds and the like) makes this a must do.

I would still like to see this at 140 i guess. That sounds like the perfect in between. But reading into some of fards' comments from the other day, its best to stay at stock lcd density.

Now to try fards wee sysconf thing.

Thankyou very much stephen! :lol: and everyone else who helped. This definately needs to be stickied.

Guest spiderboyy

I'm pretty advanced with Android, but pushing a new build.prop scares the heck out of me. Anyone care to describe how I can edit the pixel density back to stock and push this without bricking the Streak? Much appreciated

Guest MrPokeylope
I'm pretty advanced with Android, but pushing a new build.prop scares the heck out of me. Anyone care to describe how I can edit the pixel density back to stock and push this without bricking the Streak? Much appreciated

uh... I just used rootexplorer, moved the file, pasted... restarted.

Works nicely.

to change pixel density, just notepad, find, search lcd and change the value. pretty simple really.

Guest spiderboyy

Works nicely.

to change pixel density, just notepad, find, search lcd and change the value. pretty simple really.

Cool, thanks a lot, worked perfectly for me

Guest MrPokeylope
Cool, thanks a lot, worked perfectly for me

I'm now getting stuck with these terminal emulators and trying to change the sysconf :)

Someone'll prolly help me if I get stuck. I really like this site. Full of really awesome people :lol:

Guest SomeoneStoleMyYodafone

Thanks so much!

Completely removes the jerky effect that's noticeable when opening windows.

Someone at Dell needs a hard pat on the fanny for allowing this to slip into a "final" release.

Guest parks387
Ah good. I set it to 160 a few minutes ago and just rebooted.

DELIGHTED.

My bezial wallpaper is running even nicer with this on.

the changes in menu, and removal of all the o2/dell useless crap (rss feeds and the like) makes this a must do.

I would still like to see this at 140 i guess. That sounds like the perfect in between. But reading into some of fards' comments from the other day, its best to stay at stock lcd density.

Now to try fards wee sysconf thing.

Thankyou very much stephen! :lol: and everyone else who helped. This definately needs to be stickied.

currenly running at 140. Seems like the perfect medium for me. Not noticing any issues yet.

Guest andycqos
stupid question but how do I use the build.prop i want to fix my streak too lol :lol:

Works nicely.

Guest jayski73

Hi every 1

This is a must have mod and needs to be pinned up,

I've just had a little play now and i'm loving it what a difference in scrolling speed & smoothness !! i did knock the lcd density back to 160 tho as i was squinting a bit. There was also a little problem with google maps not showing the full map on the display with the lower setting. ?

anyways great work guys

ps I bet there is a few other things you could tweak in that build prop. also I just edited the build prop on my windows desktop using note pad then dropped it into my drop box. for later use (3 edited versions handy) :lol:

seems good here (put lcd density back to stock 160)

those fades from/to black are definitely a lot smoother/faster and so is scrolling the widget menu (though it's still not butter smooth)

i do run anyway with "no window animations" so don't know if the other stuff is any better

and thanks for tidying up all the original duplicate entries :-)