Overclock

Guest gusthy

yes, much responsive, battery seems to hold on just right, and the temperature is 26 degrees left overnight :lol: but as BB stated we must find out the right oc frequency for it to work optimaly

Edited by flip360

Guest DanWilson

Linpack - 3.562 MFLOPS @ 780MHz

yes, much responsive but as BB stated we must find out the right oc frequency for it to work optimaly

Really? I thought more power was better? Or do you mean optimal for everything? Speed, battery, stability?

Guest Holograph

Really? I thought more power was better? Or do you mean optimal for everything? Speed, battery, stability?

No, if you clock your CPU too high it'll go slower.

Try charging the device while web browsing and streaming internet music :lol:

Guest DanWilson
No, if you clock your CPU too high it'll go slower.

Oh... Someone clocked a G1 to over 1GHz apparently and got 15 MFLOPS

Try charging the device while web browsing and streaming internet music :lol:

Will it catch fire?

It would be nice if someone could put together a guide, because overclocking seems interesting and I understand just about nothing by reading this thread...

I'm on FLB 1.5 and haven't flashed any new kernel at all.

The best thing to do with the kernel would be to set the default max speed to the stock speed of 528MHz but add extra frequencies to the tables for 600MHz, etc. Disable perflock (I have no idea how to do this) so you can use SetCPU to overclock.

The will do two things:

1) Allows casual users to keep the CPU running at stock speeds for maximum battery life and stability

2) Allows tweakers to install SetCPU and have full control over the overclocking.

Releasing a kernel hard coded to push the CPU to 780MHz is asking for trouble. A lot of devices with the same CPU can't run that high for long periods without instability or errors.

Might be worth somebody like BigBear that knows what they are doing to have a look at Pershoots custom kernels for the G1 with overclocking to see how it's done. If I remember right the G1 CPU is similar to the Pulse so we may be able to use the same frequency table.

I've been looking at http://github.com/erasmux/hero-2.6.29-flykernel also which is where I got the MINMAX idea from. This also has BFS which has been backported to work on .29 kernels.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730471

Anyway all this kernel lark is way above me.

It would be nice if someone could put together a guide, because overclocking seems interesting and I understand just about nothing by reading this thread...

Even I don't fully understand it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8f5bj4zjtx3oy4y/up...e-signed.zip?dl

There you go, just flash in the custom recovery, get setcpu from somewhere and install it, then under device selection make sure you click to automatically detect cpu speeds (dont choose the tmobile pulse preset as it will only show upto 520 as max), then bump it up to 760mhz

This will work AFAIK with any version of flb's 2.1 roms

As for battery life, im not sure yet as ive only just flashed it, before overclocking it would last 3-4 days with 2g, data, bluetooth and wifi (except when im in the house) turned off

Just flashed it om my FLB 2.1, SWAP enabled, works like a charm using SetCPU 2.0.3 :lol:

How long should Linpack run? It has been running a few minutes now... Seems like it's not working on my Pulse :lol:

It occurs for example when you use the wrong JIT, like A2SD jit on Froyo

Ok I decided to take the plunge and try this overclock kernel out. It's nice :lol:

Currently running at 680MHz because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to run at 780MHz. But at least Fruit Ninja is smooth now! B)

Guest rulerofkaos
Currently running at 680MHz because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to run at 780MHz. But at least Fruit Ninja is smooth now! :lol:

How did you select 680 MHz? I'm running eclair and I can just select 760 MHz or the default 528 MHz as max. But with 760 it's stable and not getting too warm.

How did you select 680 MHz? I'm running eclair and I can just select 760 MHz or the default 528 MHz as max. But with 760 it's stable and not getting too warm.

Using SetCPU app

Guest whackster
With Swap and Overclock could we stably enable JIT, and would it make our pulses fly (litterally)?

Well so far I've been running FLB2, with swap, jit, a2sd, dalvik2sd, with no instability issues whatsoever, and since yesterday add to that OC :lol: