Overclock

Guest gusthy

Well so far I've been running FLB2, with swap, jit, a2sd, dalvik2sd, with no instability issues whatsoever, and since yesterday add to that OC :lol:

I've been running Froyo with JIT for a while now with no issues. Also the latest darktremor a2sd sets the swappiness by default so the swap support is much much better.

Did somebody say there is a new phone out? San... Francis or something? Oh well, who cares B)

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Epic-Emodude
I've been running Froyo with JIT for a while now with no issues. Also the latest darktremor a2sd sets the swappiness by default so the swap support is much much better.

Did somebody say there is a new phone out? San... Francis or something? Oh well, who cares :lol:

What size swap are you using? How do I update to the latest version of A2SD? And how do I enable Jit?

Thanx

Guest AntonioPT
What size swap are you using? How do I update to the latest version of A2SD? And how do I enable Jit?

Thanx

Latest a2sd version: 2.7.5.1

You can enable JIT by commenting a line in build.prop, it starts with dalvik.vm or something :lol:

Thanx

64MB swap partition

JIT can be enabled by editing build.prop and looking for this line:

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

And deleting it or commenting it out with # at the start.

Latest a2sd version: 2.7.5.1

You can enable JIT by commenting a line in build.prop, it starts with dalvik.vm or something :lol:

Should point out that if you are using AmonRA recovery then you need to get the standard ZIP. ClockworkMod can use either, but it's best to use the advanced zip due to the vastly improved setup script.

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a new release of FLB-Mod 2 out with all the current developments. Just need to work on a few more things first.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest AntonioPT
Should point out that if you are using AmonRA recovery then you need to get the standard ZIP. ClockworkMod can use either, but it's best to use the advanced zip due to the vastly improved setup script.

I'm using Clockwork, but thanks for the heads up :lol:

BTW, what changed in the advanced setup script?

Did somebody say there is a new phone out? San... Francis or something? Oh well, who cares B)

Well, Cheers to that Flibble :lol:

Guest AntonioPT
Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a new release of FLB-Mod 2 out with all the current developments. Just need to work on a few more things first.

YAAAY! :lol: fibble FTW!

Guest whackster

Forgot about swappiness, had it set to 15, but phone was kinda lagging for me :lol: yesterday I flashed 2.7.5.1 and forgot to change it, now that I checked it its back to 60 and things feel a lot smoother, don't know why?

I think I set swap size to 64MB, you can google darktremor for the latest a2sd, and to enable JIT you just have to comment the dalvik.vm.execution. line in /system/buld.prop. flibblesan has already marked it, its easy to find it.

To make sure JIT is running, run Linpack, your score should be around ~3.6.

I'm using Clockwork, but thanks for the heads up :lol:

BTW, what changed in the advanced setup script?

It executes an app which sets up a2sd before your first boot, from what I can see.

Forgot about swappiness, had it set to 15, but phone was kinda lagging for me :lol: yesterday I flashed 2.7.5.1 and forgot to change it, now that I checked it its back to 60 and things feel a lot smoother, don't know why?

I think I set swap size to 64MB, you can google darktremor for the latest a2sd, and to enable JIT you just have to comment the dalvik.vm.execution. line in /system/buld.prop. flibblesan has already marked it, its easy to find it.

To make sure JIT is running, run Linpack, your score should be around ~3.6.

Check what swappiness is set to:

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

If it's still 60 then I guess that some swap bug has been found and fixed in DTa2sd

Guest whackster
Check what swappiness is set to:

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

If it's still 60 then I guess that some swap bug has been found and fixed in DTa2sd

Yeah I checked it is set to 60. The thing is even with previous dt 2.7.5 RC2, when set to 15 seemed to run less smooth for me.

Whatever the case, it really flies now. ZT...What? Was there something coming? Don't care :lol:

Guest DanWilson
Yeah I checked it is set to 60. The thing is even with previous dt 2.7.5 RC2, when set to 15 seemed to run less smooth for me.

Whatever the case, it really flies now. ZT...What? Was there something coming? Don't care :lol:

Lulz. No one cares about that place in America now.. What was it called again? Meh.

Ok I decided to take the plunge and try this overclock kernel out. It's nice :lol:

Currently running at 680MHz because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to run at 780MHz. But at least Fruit Ninja is smooth now! B)

Has anyone tried flash lite? That worked before but was jerky. Does a good overclock help apps /browser etc open faster or will t make little differnce unless I play games (which I've not found any to be jerky on froyo anyway)?

Guest DanWilson
Has anyone tried flash lite? That worked before but was jerky. Does a good overclock help apps /browser etc open faster or will t make little differnce unless I play games (which I've not found any to be jerky on froyo anyway)?

Nope, but why don't you try Flash Lite? An overclock should help but of course, Flash might not work at all till we get video...

Just put 16 analogue clocks on one screen (LP+), no slowdown at all. Surely thats good?

Guest smudgeroo

Overclocked quite happily using SetCPU. Lovely!

After a reboot though, SetCPU tells me I don't have Superuser priviledges. Indeed, executing an 'su' command in terminal fails. So it looks like I've lost root. Any ideas?

Guest kallt_kaffe

Does anyone have some benchmarks? Like the "long benchmark" in setcpu or Linpack scores? Going from 528MHz to 780MHz really should make noticable difference in benchmarks. The reason I ask is that I've tried applying your overclocking changes to the pulse mini source and while it displays whatever number I tell it display benchmark differences are well within the error margin. So basicly I see no change at all in benchmarks.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

FYI: I believe your overclocking is just costmetical. I've managed to get noticable benchmark changes now but using a different method, see this thread and links in it: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...i/#entry1416600

Running my U8100 at 691.2MHz as it did a spontaous reboot in 710.4MHz.

The original patch didn't fit our kernel exactly but I think I figured out how to apply the changes to the pulse mini acpuclk_set_div:

/* Set proper dividers for the given clock speed. */
static void acpuclk_set_div(const struct clkctl_acpu_speed *hunt_s) {
// uint32_t reg_clkctl, reg_clksel, clk_div, src_sel;
uint32_t reg_clkctl, reg_clksel, clk_div, src_sel, a11_div;

reg_clksel = readl(A11S_CLK_SEL_ADDR);

/* AHB_CLK_DIV */
clk_div = (reg_clksel >> 1) & 0x03;
/* CLK_SEL_SRC1NO */
src_sel = reg_clksel & 1;

a11_div=hunt_s->a11clk_src_div;

if(hunt_s->a11clk_khz>=528000) {
a11_div=0;
writel(0x24, MSM_CLK_CTL_BASE+0x33C);
udelay(50);
}
/*
* If the new clock divider is higher than the previous, then
* program the divider before switching the clock
*/
if (hunt_s->ahbclk_div > clk_div) {
reg_clksel &= ~(0x3 << 1);
reg_clksel |= (hunt_s->ahbclk_div << 1);
writel(reg_clksel, A11S_CLK_SEL_ADDR);
}
/* Program clock source and divider */
reg_clkctl = readl(A11S_CLK_CNTL_ADDR);
reg_clkctl &= ~(0xFF << (8 * src_sel));
reg_clkctl |= hunt_s->a11clk_src_sel << (4 + 8 * src_sel);
reg_clkctl |= a11_div << (0 + 8 * src_sel);
writel(reg_clkctl, A11S_CLK_CNTL_ADDR);

/* Program clock source selection */
reg_clksel ^= 1;

/*
* If the new clock divider is lower than the previous, then
* program the divider after switching the clock
*/
if (hunt_s->ahbclk_div < clk_div) {
reg_clksel &= ~(0x3 << 1);
reg_clksel |= (hunt_s->ahbclk_div << 1);
}
}[/code]

I suppose your code looks pretty much the same so you may be able to use this.

What it does is that it hi-jacks the 528MHz setting and changes it. So when it displays 528MHz in setcpu it's really the new speed.

Original code hade 0x25 which means 37 in decimal and it gives 37*19.2=710.4MHz but since that didn't work on my phone I decreased it to 36(0x24).

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Does anyone have some benchmarks? Like the "long benchmark" in setcpu or Linpack scores? Going from 528MHz to 780MHz really should make noticable difference in benchmarks. The reason I ask is that I've tried applying your overclocking changes to the pulse mini source and while it displays whatever number I tell it display benchmark differences are well within the error margin. So basicly I see no change at all in benchmarks.

I fear you may be right, no one's coughing up benchmarks here....we do like to live in denial about our beloved pulses occasionally. Sorry but I am not sure how to patch this OC or which one to use? And I am scared to experiment blindly, I had trouble doing it with my PC once.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I fear you may be right, no one's coughing up benchmarks here....we do like to live in denial about our beloved pulses occasionally. Sorry but I am not sure how to patch this OC or which one to use? And I am scared to experiment blindly, I had trouble doing it with my PC once.

I'm pretty sure once one of the devs read the original xda thread and my post above they will know what to do with it. Have fun. Got a 30-33% benchmark increase on my phone.

Edited by kallt_kaffe