I just picked up my San Francisco! Findings as I go in here...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest FrogPulse

Wow.

I've got about 90 albums on my SD card (don't ask) and scrolling through them is very fast. The pulse seemed to pause while flicking through.

This 2.1 has a Froyo feel to it(or at least the pulse froyo alpha).

Guest blackmath
MCR is Modaco Custom Rom. A rom that looks like stock but paul makes tweaks and adjustments for the better. In this case removing the orange s***!

The orange stuff isn't actually that bad. It doesn't really hog resources other than the internal storage space.

Either way, now that we have root, the stuff is very easy to get rid off.

Guest Nik Louch

Agreed, it doesn't hog resources, they haven't been too heacy - but I just don't like to have it - maybe I'm odd for that :lol:

So yeah, as it tands, an unlock would be terriffic B)

Guest Nik Louch

Oh dear... I've done something wrong already :lol:

I get loads of popups saying like "com.android.phone" has quit unexpectedly, "com.process.gapps" has quit unexpectedly.

Guess I buggered it! LOL

Guest clarkie71

Hello Guys,

Noob alert!

Like a previous poster I've been following this thread since it was mentioned on HUKD. Been after a new phone for a while now and was so close to committing to a 24 month contract for a HTC desire, but boy am I glad I held out :lol:

I just rang the Orange in Shrewsbury and they have 4 in stock (3 now I've reservered one)

My wife has the T-Mobile G2 and from what I can understand It's basically a HTC HERO, So I'm really excited about getting my 1st android phone for such a bargain!!!

This site is awesome and special thanks have to go to Paul and Flibblesan for the info I've gained so far.

I'm looking forward to using this site and hopefully being able to "Custom" my phone over time.

Guest HugoQueiriga
Oh dear... I've done something wrong already :lol:

I get loads of popups saying like "com.android.phone" has quit unexpectedly, "com.process.gapps" has quit unexpectedly.

Guess I buggered it! LOL

can you not use the stock images that Paul has put up?

Hi ! been following this thread with the other thousands of lurkers. Came across it while waiting for the Optimus thread to declare that 2.1 was available. Not getting one now as you can imagine.

Just like to bring to everyones attention that the Orange site is displaying a big red "Skull and crossbones" on its secure page using Google Chrome.

So it may be wise to phone your order through.

Just going to do mine now.

By the way various people on ebay say they can unlock ANY Orange phone but its expensive at £23.

I take it you all know about Giffgaff by the way?

EDIT: Just phoned Orange to order a phone AND they have no stock! :lol: B)

Edited by shawn0

If you're in Bristol they have stock... Make sure you get Francesca to serve you too :lol: B) B)

anyway carry on the good work paul, hope so see a nice custom rom soon :lol:

Edited by toge64

Guest mark2410

well ive just ordered one, was going to go pick one up but none in Edinburgh. one store said its not out yet, another said they have had a ton of enquiries about the phone but they have no stock and then wont be getting any till the beginning of october. another said the same, not getting any till oct.

Guest Sebastian404
If you're in Bristol they have stock... Make sure you get Francesca to serve you too :lol: B) B)

Nonsense, goto the one in Cabot Circus and get Daisy to serve you ! :lol: :lol: :)

I've got one put aside and being picked up now. He tried to tell me that the Dolphin tariff would be of no use as the 250mb for Orange world would get burnt through in no time and that the"google apps" use something else that costs more.

What the hell is he talking about?????

Guest mark2410

rule one from years ago when i was with orange, when speaking to orange monkeys always call them 3 times and take the best average.

orange staff, always nice but totally useless

Guest blackmath
I'veseen screen shots and it its bad! I hate branding with a passion!

What you've seen is the orange launcher. The vanilla android 2.1 launcher is already preinstalled for your use and you can always install launcherpro.

Guest Nik Louch
can you not use the stock images that Paul has put up?

Until a few hours ago I had never touched android before... I would take no offense at being lead around like a child on this :lol:

Just like to bring to everyones attention that the Orange site is displaying a big red "Skull and crossbones" on its secure page using Google Chrome.

So it may be wise to phone your order through.

It's nothing to worry about. It's caused by some of the images on the page being loaded from a non-https address.

Guest Nik Louch

Aw crap... I tried to reflash using Pauls images, and now when powering on, all I get is the droid logo - as if it's booting into fastboot (which it's not)...

Sorry, an an annoying noob - but please help?

Guest steve1221
Nonsense, goto the one in Cabot Circus and get Daisy to serve you ! :lol: B) B)

Cabot Circus now out, I just got the last one (and saw Joe, I see what you mean about Daisy, bet she could sell snow to Eskimos !)

Guest flatnote31

ok....

waiting till it gets unlocked seemed impossible....

Ordered myself one and gonna mess around using wifi to avoid killing data allowance..till I can finally use it with another sim on data...

First android for me...

alright guys...make some space please :lol:

and by the way, TopCashBack tracked £15 instantly...

Edited by flatnote31

I just bought the SF today on the strength of this forum (and created an account obviously). Got directed here from reddit.com/r/android.

Anyway, wanted to try out an Android device before deciding what to upgrade to in a couple of months.

Pretty sweet little handset. I'm using a 2G sim in it, will have to get a 3G replacement. I can live with the Orange bloatware, using the vanilla launcher. My only worry will be when the 'free 14 day trial' of orange push email stops.

And the good news - my Blackberry 8900 data cable (and charger) fit it and work!

EDIT - Wifi was giving some trouble until I remembered to press button '1' on the Livebox to connect a new device...

Edited by JokerNJ

EDIT - Wifi was giving some trouble until I remembered to press button '1' on the Livebox to connect a new device...

Looks like I'm not the only one with a dreaded Livebox.. even after pressing '1', it won't let my Pulse connect to it. D:

Guest The Soup Thief

Could wait no longer - made the 200km round trip up to Newry in Northern Ireland and back

(they have one more in stock there, if anyone else is in these parts)

Lovely handset - really nice build quality

If I didn't know they'd only taken a hundred quid off me I'd swear it would have cost a lot more

Really desperate for the unlock though so I can use it as a phone rather than just as a nicer ipod touch through wifi! (I'm in Dublin and can't justify the roaming rates when I've a perfectly good set up w Vodafone Ireland - eg £4 a megabyte for data? No thanks)

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest feckineejit

Thought i'd add a few pic's taken today with the camera. never messed around with the setting was on the normal settings.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Some of the pic's look a bit dull but thats because of the weather here in Ireland B) Hope this helps with ppl with camera question about how good it is. :lol:

Edited by feckineejit