I just picked up my San Francisco! Findings as I go in here...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest flatnote31

Any one remembers the unnamed i4 reception problem?

could it be the way it's held?

usually when you bury it in your palm, it'd use more power to get signal hence the heating....

My E71 fell in the sofa for a couple of hours with WiFi turned on...when I found it, it was STEAMING!

Guest Sebastian404
Any one remembers the unnamed i4 reception problem?

could it be the way it's held?

usually when you bury it in your palm, it'd use more power to get signal hence the heating....

My E71 fell in the sofa for a couple of hours with WiFi turned on...when I found it, it was STEAMING!

I've tried holding it, not holding it, waving it around no real difference...

I did notice if you take the back off there is a connector that looks like it could be for one of those range boosting antenna... not sure if thats Wifi or UMTS/GSM...

I'll test that out when I'm home too

Guest Quicklite

Getting mine next week, can't wait. Got questions about the screen - it's brilliant spec, does it deliver in practice? not expecting those Samsung quality panel, but from a clip on Cnet I saw - the screen seemed worryingly reflective, and the black level seem way off. Plus while SAMOLED is almost as good as transflective LCD, traditional OLED suffers considerably outdoor. It's not clear, but from the clip, it didn't appear to have look like scratch proof glass.

It's probably just trick of the light, but could anyone confirm:

Screen's contrast/brightness, and black level, e.g. does black appear black - especially in comparison to Desire?

Does the screen have glass coating?

How is it outdoor?

The cnet link is here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...s-i-go-in-here/

Thanks! :lol:

Edited by Quicklite

Guest flatnote31

Are we seeing the signs of bad QA/QC ?

umm, I'm waiting for mine, but comments and preliminary impressions seem to vary a LOT!

Doesn't matter what I do can't get Excellent (4 bar) reception! :lol:

Guest JingleManSweep

Paul,

Bought my San Francisco yesterday based on your advice/review. I've given my Pulse to my partner. What a great little phone the San Francisco is.

Cheers mate,

Louis

Guest supertwisted
Are we seeing the signs of bad QA/QC ?

umm, I'm waiting for mine, but comments and preliminary impressions seem to vary a LOT!

Hmm. Interesting, just did a quick test myself:

3Com OfficeConnect router set to channel 11 and on wireless g only. Router is upstairs.

Downstairs I can get 3 out of 4 bars, if i stand at foot of stairs I can get 4 out of 4.

Signal varies depending how i hold the phone though.

Got Dolphin written all over the box so you'd expect it to be on that tariff wouldn't you?

But mine wasn't and I see on another thread others have burnt through all there credit thinking they already have free internet.

Had to start a "Myorange" account and change my plan which will take at least a day.

So if you play with your shiny new phone out of the box best to leave the sim out and use wifi until you get your plan changed. :lol:

Got Dolphin written all over the box so you'd expect it to be on that tariff wouldn't you?

But mine wasn't and I see on another thread others have burnt through all there credit thinking they already have free internet.

Had to start a "Myorange" account and change my plan which will take at least a day.

So if you play with your shiny new phone out of the box best to leave the sim out and use wifi until you get your plan changed. :lol:

Just checked my credit £5.45, browsed only couple of pages because of poor wi-fi reception and to test 3G browsing experience. That is extremely expensive! It is like I am on roaming charges! On Vodafone I get 25MB for 0.50p for a day browsing. I am new Orange customer; They've managed to disappoint me in less than 24 hrs. No wonder people are avoiding them. The phone is good though, except the wireless issue I am experiencing. I hope they will replace it.

Be aware don't use you credit for browsing!

Guest flatnote31

aand the truuuuuuuuuth shall set you freeeeeeee

Now I'm definitely sure this phone will hit records with sales....

one thing though, does anyone think that Steve Jobs will sue ZTE for copying the iPhone-4's "hold it right, stupid" feature? I wonder :lol:

Hmm. Interesting, just did a quick test myself:

3Com OfficeConnect router set to channel 11 and on wireless g only. Router is upstairs.

Downstairs I can get 3 out of 4 bars, if i stand at foot of stairs I can get 4 out of 4.

Signal varies depending how i hold the phone though.

Guest thepearce

Yup - have to agree. Luckilly for me the orange chappy explained (after some questionning) that the sim had a default "starter" option and I had to dial 343 to choose Dolphin. He advised to do this and chill for a few days. I did it late yesterday evening and recieved some texts to say it can take 48 hours. I received some more today to say I now have the 300 mins and 100 MB internet from Dolphin. I wanted the internet for the orange email but see now this is useless for me as it's chargeable after 1 month so I won't bother.

BTW - another HUKD regular making his first foray into Android... Learning lots and eager to get stuck in.

Also - I'm having wi-fi issues (I think)....good signal, as it should be, but I always have to manually connect to my router (just by clicking connect). There's an error saying connection was unsuccessful - try again? I'm on o2 and have a Billion router. Is wi-fi sleeping?

Edited by thepearce

Guest anything-but

Seconded on this!!

I got caught out thinking i was on the 300 txts/100mb internet as soon as i put myself on dolphin (wasn`t informed of the 24/48hr wait at the orange shop!) and got a shock when i checked my balance was £2.50 from the £10 put on from the morning when i bought it.

1st android phone,was going to be getting the GT540 till i stumbled over this thread B).

Rooted the phone and now just starting out on the android experience.

.....1st post here too,so hi all. :lol:

Seconded on this!!

I got caught out thinking i was on the 300 txts/100mb internet as soon as i put myself on dolphin (wasn`t informed of the 24/48hr wait at the orange shop!) and got a shock when i checked my balance was £2.50 from the £10 put on from the morning when i bought it.

1st android phone,was going to be getting the GT540 till i stumbled over this thread B).

Rooted the phone and now just starting out on the android experience.

.....1st post here too,so hi all. :lol:

If, like me, you require neither minutes nor text, the £5 for 250MB is a good option. I am combining this with transfering in an old number which should give three bonus credits of £10 each for each £10 top up. So 3 gig of data for £30 by which time I will be able to unlock and use my t-mobile sim.

This suits me much better and might suit you too.

I am yet another buyer at Gentleman's Walk.

What a fantastic phone.

Guest chris9181
I just discovered that Orange give a £20 discount for NHS workers for any handset over £30!!!

)

I work in the NHS so could you please confirm how you get the discount please? Do Orange state this on their website? (just in case I have a problem in store!

Guest steve1221

A quick question.

I've read the threads about removing the Orange rubbish, but, can't you just root. Install a rooted file manager and then just delete the app you don't want from the system dir with that ? Or am I showing my lack of knowledge of Android !

Guest thepearce
)

I work in the NHS so could you please confirm how you get the discount please? Do Orange state this on their website? (just in case I have a problem in store!

You just need to take a recent payslip into the store. If you have any issues their area manager can confirm the discount - you may find mention on some trust's website such as : http://www.blpt.nhs.uk/default.aspx?t=Home...;c=0&pm=160

BTW the 20 discount (orange perk) also applies if you work for the local council (as my missus does :lol: )

Edited by thepearce

)

I received the £20 discount on friday via my doctor wife so it was £89 including compulsory top up. You need to show a payslip. It is no urban myth.