23/Sep: Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Stephen Hyde

id say contact them and ask them to recheck the code as power button is named as mooncake_keypad on blade should be blade_keypad (not that it cant be fixed from our side but might be worth suggestign to them

id say contact them and ask them to recheck the code as power button is named as mooncake_keypad on blade should be blade_keypad (not that it cant be fixed from our side but might be worth suggestign to them

pm me your email and I'll introduce you to them directly.

Guest kallt_kaffe

Seems like the acpuclock.c is very similar to the Huawei U81x0 acpuclock.c so I added my overclocking code from my Huawei kernel (and added speeds up to 864MHz) to your acpuclock.c. It's propably how you do it allready but I've got a bunch if defines in the start of the code to easily choose what speeds to activate before compling.

Just thought I'd share it... I hope you manage to solve the other issues. I really want a Blade now more than ever.

acpuclock.zip

Edited by kallt_kaffe

and another ZTE reply

Thank you for so much concern. I hope you like Blade.

The phone which will launch in China with Froyo is called V880. We will also public the kernel source code. We will email you at the first time.

And if any problems, pls let me know.

Guest Stephen Hyde
Seems like the acpuclock.c is very similar to the Huawei U81x0 acpuclock.c so I added my overclocking code from my Huawei kernel (and added speeds up to 864MHz) to your acpuclock.c. It's propably how you do it allready but I've got a bunch if defines in the start of the code to easily choose what speeds to activate before compling.

Just thought I'd share it... I hope you manage to solve the other issues. I really want a Blade now more than ever.

most of other issues ive sorted out, just power button to look at

Guest Maringer
and another ZTE reply

The phone which will launch in China with Froyo is called V880. We will also public the kernel source code. We will email you at the first time.

Sounds good. Let's hope they can get the V880 out nice and quickly! :)

Guest oh!dougal
and another ZTE reply

If Orange ever wanted a new advertisement for this phone ... :)

Guest oh!dougal
most of other issues ive sorted out, just power button to look at

Umm yes, but wouldn't it be good (from a two-way communication point of view) to let them know about everything else you have found that isn't quite the way it ought to be?

And that way, the public source from ZTE would be 'clean' (or at least cleaner) for every other dev ...

Umm yes, but wouldn't it be good (from a two-way communication point of view) to let them know about everything else you have found that isn't quite the way it ought to be?

And that way, the public source from ZTE would be 'clean' (or at least cleaner) for every other dev ...

Hopefully once everything is working Stephen will send them a summary of the issues he found and fixes so that they can look into them in their source, it's issues which haven't yet been fixed that are more important at the moment (afaik the power button is the only one)

Guest Freekers
and another ZTE reply

Any chance you can ask them when they are planning to release it ?

Guest jimmy2x2x

Good point, it would be a missed opportunity not to.

Maybe 2.2 will compile and work right off the bat if they learn something from this :)

Any chance you can ask them when they are planning to release it ?

Someone posted in another thread that it was next monday, but asking when won't make it happen sooner.

Guest jsplace

Can confirm that OC to 864 is possible tho My phone is a little unstable @864 with some artifacts appearing onscreen.

806 seems to work perfectly.

Looking at Power button atm.

Not had chance to look at battery status yet tho That is now fixed? any pointers to save a little time?

Guest Stephen Hyde

try changing power management from console on suspect to sysfs interface thats the only obvious change i made.

any kernel devs fancy dropping into #zteblade irc channel i could use some help overclocking my streak since its cpu clock file is totally different

Any feedback on batery life/cpu temp with the overclocking yet?

If we (o.k. YOU) can get a stable 800Mhz or higher I'll be a very happy bunny indeed.

Great work guys. Thanks

Guest oh!dougal
i had mine configured to run at 864 max all night yesterday and had no issues with it, battery seems no worse really either

But it wouldn't actually have been running at 864 all night, unless you were stress-testing it, would it?

I'm supposing that its going to depend on what proportion of the time you are maxing it, as to how much difference it makes to the battery.

Its only going to be for the time that the stock cpu is maxed, that there is going to be a difference, isn't it?

--- added --- which is why it might not make a great deal of difference to battery runtime (except maybe for gamers?)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Stephen Hyde

yea i want maxxing it but was stable enough when under load

and its voltages @ 864 are no higher than at 600 so battery shouldn use any more anyway

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest oh!dougal
yea i want maxxing it but was stable enough when under load

Not sure if that's 'was' or 'was not' :)

and its voltages @ 864 are no higher than at 600 so battery shouldn use any more anyway

Aaah, but the current draw will increase with higher clock speed (at the same voltage). IIRC with CMOS its pretty linear.

And heating is proportional to the square of the current.

So 1/3 more clocks/sec (6->800), about 1/3 more current, means about 75% more heat ... ! And, compared to 600, 864 would be generating over double the heat.

Is there enough user difference to tell immediately the difference between 800 and 864?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned (or just old :) ) but I value stability greatly above the last ounce of performance.

While 'more responsive' is deffo better, it ain't worth going to the bleeding edge and have the phone fry itself after a few minutes of ... Google navigation, say.

Another reason for being a bit 'conservative' is that there's likely to be a spread of overclock potential across the SF population. Something a tiny bit safer, should work for (and benefit) more people.

I note (upthread) that jsplace finds 864 borderline unstable on his.

Guest Stephen Hyde

was perfectly stable here but ill probly release kernel with my next rom thats set to default to 806 but have the 2 levels above it for optional use

Guest oh!dougal
was perfectly stable here but ill probly release kernel with my next rom thats set to default to 806 but have the 2 levels above it for optional use

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! :)

Are you pushing your changes to github or similar, or releasing a zip?