23/Sep: Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

Could you lead me to a small howto on how to compile a kernel with ubuntu (which crosscompiler etc.) and try it out afterwards?

Setup your machine as in here http://source.android.com/source/download.html

Grab the source and unzip

then grab config.gz from our device, unzip and copy to .config under the kernel directory

then run make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/android-2.2.1_r1/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi- $1

Guest kallt_kaffe
Compiled fine and booted it, power button not working, battery status not avaliable.... f*ck you ZTE!

I had the same problem compiling the 2.6.29 kernel for the Huawei U81x0 phones and it turned out /proc/config.gz for some strange reason missed one or two settings that caused the battery status error. Not sure about the power button but it may be another missing config parameter.

See my post here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1423256

The CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH was the parameter that caused the battery status problem.

In fact, looking in arch/arm/configs it seems CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug" should be in the blade configs. I wouldn't be suprised at all if it's not in the config.gz you get from the phone.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest Stephen Hyde

right built kernel here..

boots fine to 2.2

touch screen is nuked - which i expected as stock .29 kernel by zte doesnt work on 2.2)

power button works fine here but since touch is dead cant press nothing,

battery reports broke

usb drivers wont compile and cause errors elsewhere

investigating fursther as i type

Guest Matty-p
right built kernel here..

boots fine to 2.2

touch screen is nuked - which i expected as stock .29 kernel by zte doesnt work on 2.2)

power button works fine here but since touch is dead cant press nothing,

battery reports broke

usb drivers wont compile and cause errors elseweuhere

investigating fursther as i type

Good and bad ews i guess will definatly look into touch screen under 2.2 at weekend if not allready sorted. Sounds ambitios but i eander if i can get sense ui on it by backing a desire or legend based rom with the blades drivers the. 29 kernal and a lot of time and scratching my head its certianly a long shot andwill take take time but fingers crossed!

Good and bad ews i guess will definatly look into touch screen under 2.2 at weekend if not allready sorted. Sounds ambitios but i eander if i can get sense ui on it by backing a desire or legend based rom with the blades drivers the. 29 kernal and a lot of time and scratching my head its certianly a long shot andwill take take time but fingers crossed!

I'm sure its possible, would look forward to seeing this working :), maybe also try MIUI? :)

Guest Freekers
ok folks overclock is a go :) i repeat 864mhz overclock IS GO !

Awesome ! Really, AWESOME !!

going for the magical 1ghz, anyone reckon the chip can handle it

Well, 864Mhz is already pushing it, since HTC Legend users (with the same CPU) have only been able to get 806Mhz max. as far I can find on XDA... So I'm not sure if 1Ghz is realistic.. but we'll see :) The Desire Z also does a massive 1.42Ghz from 800 Mhz stock (although it's a underclocked 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU so..)

no

the clock speed scales back automaticly depending on load

Depends what to what profile you set 'setcpu' to. The perfomance profile makes the CPU run on the max frequency at all times, but the 'on demand' profile clocks back the cpu depending on load

Guest Sebastian404

Well, I'm stuck in Heathrow airport, waiting for a flight back to the US, so I'm going to be missing this game..

but I have complied it on my macbook, and it seems to of complied correctly... I dont have a phone tho so no way of testing it for a few days.

As a side note, anyone who has build this, is the screen the right way up? if so could be very useful to get the kernel patch into Clockwork recovery..

On a totally different note I'm amazed at the number of cheap Android phones just about all the carriers in Ireland have.. glad to see Android taking off at least.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Freekers
looks like 864 is absolute maximum, anything above seems to be ignored

I suspect it's locked in the kernel somewhere, like it was also the case with my Android tablet.

However, 864Mhz is really nice tho ! Much more than I expected !! (Since HTC Legend users only get 806Mhz max.. lol :) )

Looking forward to the release

Guest The Soup Thief
Well, I'm stuck in Heathrow airport, waiting for a flight back to the US, so I'm going to be missing this game..

but I have complied it on my macbook, and it seems to of complied correctly... I dont have a phone tho so no way of testing it for a few days.

As a side note, anyone who has build this, is the screen the right way up? if so could be very useful to get the kernel patch into Clockwork recovery..

On a totally different note I'm amazed at the number of cheap Android phones just about all the carriers in Ireland have.. glad to see Android taking off at least.

@sebastian404

the networks here in ireland are bringing out loads of budget android phones at the mo. Unfortunately they're mostly shonky resistive screened models. Have been wowing pals w my fancy pants san fran! it would sell like hot cakes if an irish carrier picked it up

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest spoonium

Did you have to raise the voltage to run at 864Mhz or was it with the stock value?

Did you do any stress tests? How's the battery liking that new drain? :)

Also, time for some undervolting I reckon!

Guest Sebastian404
the networks here in ireland are bringing out loads of budget android phones at the mo. Unfortunately they're mostly shonky resistive screened models. Have been wowing pals w my fancy pants san fran! it would sell like hot cakes if an irish carrier picked it up

I was wondering around the shopping area yesterday and was amazed at the number of huge Android logos I saw. I picked up a leaflet from Meteor and they seemed to be a Samsung one on PAYG for 100euros....

I was too jet lagged/drunk to pay TOO much attention to what exactly, I was just pleased to see it doing so well.

Edited by Sebastian404