[OLED] 04/Oct r3: Superboot Root + MCRi

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bouncer5
Oh hm, do you not have an installed operating system on the computer?

On the GF Laptop, so was reluctant, WIndows vista :)

Now i've got the problems of drivers, Hope I don't need adb or the SDK for this -.-

Edited by Bouncer5

Guest richardyates

Bit of a disaster:

Rooted no great problem

Failed to pick up the tar.gz file. Read through the thread and reduced it to mcri-system.tar.gz

Picked that up alright - got as far as the green android and hasn't done anything for 30 mins:-((

Suggestions welcome!

Guest Bouncer5

Could someone please help me, I have no idea what im doing on windows :S

And apprently I can't use a Live CD for linux :/

Edited by Bouncer5

Guest sensory

Has any one done this on Linux yet? If so, can I see your udev rules for android? I can't seem to find the proper USB device code for the ZTE, and the one on the fastboot wiki doesn't seem to work.

The main issue that I'm having is that it won't recognise my device in fastboot mode.

edit: Ffffrrrrp, nevermind. Fixed it. :)

For people trying to do this in Linux:

sudo ./fastboot-linux  flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

That'll fix the <waiting for devices> loop that I was stuck in. Fastboot won't recognise the device is present unless you run it as root.

Edited by sensory

Guest Tl2IGGER

i really have no clue what im doing i want to do this but cant even start off right...

could you please show me how to load the directory into the comand prompt

an idiot proof tutorial would be great as in starting from how you get cmd up and so on... how to load the directory in and make it so we make a folder in the exact same place you did so we do everything same as you

im really stuck lol and not good with this sort of stuff thanks if you can do it !

could you please show me how to load the directory into the comand prompt

If you're using Windows Vista or 7, open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder you have put the files in, hold down your shift key and right-click the folder. One of the items on the context menu should be 'Open command window here'. Click that. For Windows XP, there is a Powertoy available to add the same functionality.

Guest richardyates

I have checked the md5 checksum and its correct. So I deleted the tar.gz from the MicroSD and copied the file over again.

No different - power on the phone and Mr Android just sits there looking green:-((

Really stumped - have flashed plenty of phones in the past (though only 1 android) but I can't see how to get back from here....

From where I am, I doubt it matters, but this is on osx snow leopard

Guest Davie1888
I have checked the md5 checksum and its correct. So I deleted the tar.gz from the MicroSD and copied the file over again.

No different - power on the phone and Mr Android just sits there looking green:-((

Really stumped - have flashed plenty of phones in the past (though only 1 android) but I can't see how to get back from here....

From where I am, I doubt it matters, but this is on osx snow leopard

Thats what happened to me the first time because I extracted the mcri file that I downloaded instead of putting in straight into the root of the sd card

Hi. I tried this earlier. Rooted the phone no problem but when trying to install the custom rom it got stuck on the green android and wouldn't do anything else. Have tried some of the fixes listed in various threads but nothing has worked and I can't even get the phone to boot up. I borrowed a card reader to check the sd card and the computer said it needed to be formatted, so I did and the 2GB card is now showing as 45.6MB with some undeletable gobbledegook on it.

I had downloaded the ROM with internet explorer and made sure I had known file extensions visible to try to avoid some of the pitfalls others had experienced. At this stage I'm starting to think the best bet will be to play dumb and try to blag a replacement from Orange but I'm open to suggestions if anyone can help. Thanks.

Guest richardyates

That's almost exactly what happened to me.

Paul suggested that I check the MD5 checksum of the file - which I did, and it turned out OK, so the solution was to wipe the file on the SD and try again. It failed again, but 3rd time it worked. So I'd concentrate on cleaning up that SD card and trying again.

Somewhere in Orange's T & C's is going to be something that gives them the right to charge you if you trash it like this, I'll bet. If they do swap it out, someone is going to try to find out what went wrong, so I'd concentrate on trying to fix it, good luck - and stick with it, its worth it

Guest Gibbo501

It might be worth right-clicking any file you download, clicking PROPERTIES and then clicking the UNBLOCK button.

I didn't do this on a ZIP and when I extracted it found some files to be missing.

Guest notcosi
Hi. I tried this earlier. Rooted the phone no problem but when trying to install the custom rom it got stuck on the green android and wouldn't do anything else. Have tried some of the fixes listed in various threads but nothing has worked and I can't even get the phone to boot up. I borrowed a card reader to check the sd card and the computer said it needed to be formatted, so I did and the 2GB card is now showing as 45.6MB with some undeletable gobbledegook on it.

I had downloaded the ROM with internet explorer and made sure I had known file extensions visible to try to avoid some of the pitfalls others had experienced. At this stage I'm starting to think the best bet will be to play dumb and try to blag a replacement from Orange but I'm open to suggestions if anyone can help. Thanks.

Same happened to me and I was unable to delete the stuff off the memory card. I took it back to orange saying it wouldn't start..exchanged for new one downloaded everything again and it worked no problem! So, not sure what happened the first time.

Guest fredewis

i am runing to get this phone next week when payment comes in on a wenesday (orange wenesday finally) and i would like to root it i know the proces is listed at the biggining but i dont find it too clear i have a pulse and the noob guide for pulse was great got me to understand alot of the terms used but i still dont feel sure and a dumb up vertion/video like from the bigining from downloading the file to wat u need to do to get to next step will be made im sure it will help others that arent relly sure,confident and strugle with terms. ;) :P thankx guys :P :) :(

Guest jeremynz

Thanks everyone for the great info. I have got as far as 4m25sec in the HD video, but when it starts talking about the MRC I get an error:

error: device not found

Bit confused what to do next? Do I start over or, can I just do the MRC bit anytime? What does this bit do exactly?

I have looked around the forum but I'm not sure what the definitive answer is right now.

I am on a window XP machine.

Thanks Team

Guest dt_matthews

Hi all, great thread but i could do with some assistance if you'd be so kind:

I'm on a win7 x64 laptop, I ran the fastboot command ok and it sent the rooting data to the phone ok

Power cycled the phone with the image on the sd card and now all i get is the green android logo and nothing else...

Have I managed to nuke my phone? really hope not! ;-)

TIA,

dan

Guest jeremynz
Thanks everyone for the great info. I have got as far as 4m25sec in the HD video, but when it starts talking about the MRC I get an error:

Bit confused what to do next? Do I start over or, can I just do the MRC bit anytime? What does this bit do exactly?

I have looked around the forum but I'm not sure what the definitive answer is right now.

I am on a window XP machine.

Thanks Team

I have saved this file mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz and then run

adb-windows push mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz /sdcard/mcri-system.tar.gz

but still get the error, either

but once

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

why would the device not be found when I have just successfully flashed etc?

just noticed that while it is doing the 'fastboot-windows reboot' the bubble on the tray says USB not recognised...

Thanks

Edited by jeremynz

Guest Davie1888
I have saved this file mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz and then run

adb-windows push mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz /sdcard/mcri-system.tar.gz

but still get the error, either

but once

why would the device not be found when I have just successfully flashed etc?

just noticed that while it is doing the 'fastboot-windows reboot' the bubble on the tray says USB not recognised...

Thanks

You have to rename the mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz to mcri-system.tar.gz then put it onto the sd card

Guest jeremynz
You have to rename the mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz to mcri-system.tar.gz then put it onto the sd card

Thanks for this Davie1888 - just gave it a shot...

adb-windows push mcri-system.tar.gz /sdcard/mcri-system.tar.gz

Really thought it was going to work then...

Any ideas?

Thanks - J

Guest jeremynz
Thanks for this Davie1888 - just gave it a shot...

adb-windows push mcri-system.tar.gz /sdcard/mcri-system.tar.gz

Really thought it was going to work then...

Any ideas?

Thanks - J

All sorted. Just needed to manually copy the tar.gz file onto the SD card rather than running the ADB method.

Relief etc.

Thanks - J

Guest Gibbo501

If anyone wants to grab the video to download offline, just put the word KISS after www. and before youtube. It will then allow you to save the video as an MP4 video file you can watch in your own media player at your leisure.

Guest Gibbo501

Rooted. Quick and painless thanks to the excellent instructions.

The "hold the + button when you power on" extra driver required caught me at first, but adding the extra information into the INF soon sorted that.