[OLED] 04/Oct r3: Superboot Root + MCRi

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tom619
Rooted. Quick and painless thanks to the excellent instructions.

The "hold the + button when you power on" extra driver required caught me at first, but adding the extra information into the INF soon sorted that.

I got mine up and running on r3, but i didnt get extra driver required and didnt need to add any information to an inf file?

Guest Gibbo501
I got mine up and running on r3, but i didnt get extra driver required and didnt need to add any information to an inf file?

I'd modified the INF file last week with the data in this post:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1416869

a few days ago. As it was working in Windows I didn't go back to the thread until I followed the instructions to power up the phone holding the + button. When you plug in the USB cable it needed another driver which wasn't in the INF until I'd modified it with the extra data in a later post!

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest tom619
I'd modified the INF file last week with the data in this post:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1416869

a few days ago. As it was working in Windows I didn't go back to the thread until I followed the instructions to power up the phone holding the + button. When you plug in the USB cable it needed another driver which wasn't in the INF until I'd modified it with the extra data in a later post!

Ah i see, should i be using that info as i was unaware of this

Guest Stevieblueyez

OK, can someone help p-p-p-p-lease.

New to ZTE phone hacking, but by no means a total techie noob.

- I've got the fastboot software downloaded and extracted.

- I've got the boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img file extracted into the same folder

- I reboot the phone with the Vol+ button held in and I get the Green android guy

- I connect the phone via USB and windows XP recognizes it fine

- I run the fastboot-windows boot piece and I get the expected response and back to my DOS prompt

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... OKAY

- I run fastboot-windows reboot and get this message:

rebooting...

And the phone just sits there for ages and ages at the Green Android screen? Soon as I disconnect the USB it reboots about 10-20 seconds later but there's no SuperUser in the apps piece.

What someone said earlier about what files to put where has me worried, am I supposed to have put the tar.gz file onto the SD card in the phone??. I read every post on all 11 pages of this thread and every post on all 24 pages of the main thread (where the files are linked) and don't see an answer to this problem

Can anyone help? please?.

Thanks.

Edited by Stevieblueyez

Guest Afrodude

Well it should have booted up when you ran fastboot-windows reboot. It takes about a minute or so to load up. Once its up and running you should see the "SuperUser" app. Might want to flash it again and see if it works second time round. Check all the MD5 hashes of all your downloaded files (and press the "unblock" button when you right click and go to properties. Hash tab is my favourite tool to check the MD5's.

Once all that is fine you can install a custom rom. Say you want Paul's ROM, just download it, rename it, copy to SD and reboot your phone and it will automatically install it.

Edited by Afrodude

Guest Bobby Demos

Hi,

I don't know why, but I am struggling with this, I am not a layman when it comes to computers, (I trained to be a computer programmer for 3 years, VB.NET ((Not that good I know :))) so yeah). I am doing this from an iMac (forgot my password on my Vista laptop). I have setup a folder in my root folder called ZTEBlade. And its telling, it can't find the fastboot-mac file....I've tried actually putting it in the ZTEBlade folder, rather than the subfolder it unzips in...so yeah....any help would be hot....

Bobby

Guest Bobby Demos
Hi,

I don't know why, but I am struggling with this, I am not a layman when it comes to computers, (I trained to be a computer programmer for 3 years, VB.NET ((Not that good I know :))) so yeah). I am doing this from an iMac (forgot my password on my Vista laptop). I have setup a folder in my root folder called ZTEBlade. And its telling, it can't find the fastboot-mac file....I've tried actually putting it in the ZTEBlade folder, rather than the subfolder it unzips in...so yeah....any help would be hot....

Bobby

Meant to say, this is all in terminal its saying fastboot-mac: command not found

Really annoying me now....sorry!

Bobby

Guest Stevieblueyez
Well it should have booted up when you ran fastboot-windows reboot. It takes about a minute or so to load up. Once its up and running you should see the "SuperUser" app. Might want to flash it again and see if it works second time round. Check all the MD5 hashes of all your downloaded files (and press the "unblock" button when you right click and go to properties. Hash tab is my favourite tool to check the MD5's.

Once all that is fine you can install a custom rom. Say you want Paul's ROM, just download it, rename it, copy to SD and reboot your phone and it will automatically install it.

When I type fastboot-windows reboot is sits there for ages, left it for over 20 minutes before removing the USB cable.

Soon as I do that it reboots but no super-user

Going to try the other "ClockworkMod recovery" if I can figure our what "Restart your device in recovery mode (use 'Quick Boot', 'ROM Manager' or 'adb reboot recovery'" means

DOn't seen Quick Boot, rom manager or adb reboot recovery mentioned anywhere on these forums

Guest Bobby Demos
@Bobby Demos: Your terminal is likely to be looking in the wrong folder.

I have cded to the directory that I want, I've named the folder ZTEBlade, and done cd ZTEBlade. It comes up....?

Guest tiggerlator
When I type fastboot-windows reboot is sits there for ages, left it for over 20 minutes before removing the USB cable.

Soon as I do that it reboots but no super-user

Going to try the other "ClockworkMod recovery" if I can figure our what "Restart your device in recovery mode (use 'Quick Boot', 'ROM Manager' or 'adb reboot recovery'" means

DOn't seen Quick Boot, rom manager or adb reboot recovery mentioned anywhere on these forums

Weird, i did mine earlier and it worked first time, i did'nt even unblock the files. I'm on win7 x86 by the way.

It seems odd that it works on some and others have problems.

Going to try the other "ClockworkMod recovery" if I can figure our what "Restart your device in recovery mode (use 'Quick Boot', 'ROM Manager' or 'adb reboot recovery'" means <--- This means use the programs called Quick boot,Rommanager or use adb command reboot to reboot your phone so its in recovery mode.

Guest Stevieblueyez
Weird, i did mine earlier and it worked first time, i did'nt even unblock the files. I'm on win7 x86 by the way.

It seems odd that it works on some and others have problems.

Going to try the other "ClockworkMod recovery" if I can figure our what "Restart your device in recovery mode (use 'Quick Boot', 'ROM Manager' or 'adb reboot recovery'" means <--- This means use the programs called Quick boot,Rommanager or use adb command reboot to reboot your phone so its in recovery mode.

Have tried it on 2 different workstations. XP desktop and Windows 7 laptop. Both with the exact same result.

Fastboot does it's boot part, then I type fastboot-windows reboot and it sit's there at the Green android logo forever. Stays like that until the USB cables removed and then it reboots and loads up normally and no sign of SuperUser.

Where do I download the Quick boot,Rommanager or use adb command reboot software from?

Guest Stevieblueyez

Oh FFS.... I can't even download the RomManager applicaiton. Android market just sits there saying "Starting Download" for the past 20 minutes.

Not having much luck here.

Guest tiggerlator
Oh FFS.... I can't even download the RomManager applicaiton. Android market just sits there saying "Starting Download" for the past 20 minutes.

Not having much luck here.

Here's Rommanager-

Rommanager

Guest finbaar

Well I have not bothered you guys until now. I have downloaded everything and followed all the instructions. I now have superboot app thing on my phone. I put the mcri-system.tar.gz in the root folder of my sd card and it is 81955 kb in size. However when I switch off the phone and then switch back on I get just a normal load up - no new rom installation. Any ideas?

Guest tiggerlator

Guys if you have at least got Clockwork recovery installed, just dump the rom (the one specifically for install in clockwork recovery) on your sdcard, then boot into recovery by turning your phone off and then hold vol down and press power button. In clockwork mod, use volume control up/down to select install file from sdcard, then browse to were the file is and select it, scroll down and select yes. Home button is select.

Edited by tiggerlator

Guest Stevieblueyez
Guys if you have at least got Clockwork recovery installed, just dump the rom (the one specifically for install in clockwork recovery) on your sdcard, then boot into recovery by turning your phone off and then hold vol down and press power button. In clockwork mod, use volume control up/down to select install file from sdcard, then browse to were the file is and select it, scroll down and select yes. Home button is select.

Would that I could, but Android Market has been sat at "Starting download" for about 7 hours and 45 minutes (left it running overnight to see if it would change.

I downloaded the .apk file you send me, but the only solutions I've been able to see says I need to download App Installed from the Android Market to run it. But the reason I can't install rommanager is because the phone's refusing to connect to android market, so it's the same problem.

Guest Gibbo501
I don't know why, but I am struggling with this, I am not a layman when it comes to computers

It can be quite a difficult area with a steep learning curve if you're new to it. I'm an IT Systems Manager been working in IT for nearly 30 years (starting on BBC Micros and burning my own EPROMS!) and much of this is new to me too! Although I think part of it is that gene that kicks in when you're over 30 which stops you understanding simple technology like setting up a video recorder!

Guest Gibbo501
Would that I could, but Android Market has been sat at "Starting download" for about 7 hours and 45 minutes (left it running overnight to see if it would change.

I get that a lot with some apps. For the first two days Google Skymap just wouldn't download. I kept cancelling and retrying the download. Cancelling downloads which hung would allow other queued downloads to start.

Then for no reason at al I tried to download Skymap again and it just worked.

Guest mario999

I downloaded the .apk file you send me, but the only solutions I've been able to see says I need to download App Installed from the Android Market to run it. But the reason I can't install rommanager is because the phone's refusing to connect to android market, so it's the same problem.

Have you tried clearing the Market Cache?

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Find Market and Market Updater in the scroll list > Clear cache and force stop if available in both)

Guest Gibbo501

According to today's Register, it seems a common problem:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/08/android_nightmares/

First up is the hanging download issue. Select an application and the phone claims to be starting a download, but never progresses. This problem hits people at random, sometimes after a firmware update, but once it arrives then nothing can be downloaded. Not so smart.

The hanging download can sometimes be fixed by the simple expedient of going into Manage Applications, setting the Filter to "ALL" and clearing both Cache and Data within "Checkin Service", "Google Apps","Marketplace" and (obviously) "Google Talk".

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest Evil Disco Guy
Meant to say, this is all in terminal its saying fastboot-mac: command not found

Really annoying me now....sorry!

Bobby

You need to use ./ in front of the command.

For example "./fastboot-mac reboot"

Guest cdrummond

Hey everyone, first post.

I'm a total noob to all this and tried following the instructions on here but I'm now stuck!

I rooted the phone no probs

I then added an installation package to the SD card (having renamed it to the filename mentioned many times in previous posts).

I am now stuck with the green android.

Where do I go from here? I have successfully installed the ClockworkMod recovery app, but as I don't have a file called update.zip on my SD card I can't see anything else that I can do from here.

I don't have a microSD card reader - will I need one to go any further?

In a bit of a panic as it's a new phone and I'm worried I've done something silly.

Guest mario999
Hey everyone, first post.

I'm a total noob to all this and tried following the instructions on here but I'm now stuck!

I rooted the phone no probs

I then added an installation package to the SD card (having renamed it to the filename mentioned many times in previous posts).

I am now stuck with the green android.

Where do I go from here? I have successfully installed the ClockworkMod recovery app, but as I don't have a file called update.zip on my SD card I can't see anything else that I can do from here.

I don't have a microSD card reader - will I need one to go any further?

In a bit of a panic as it's a new phone and I'm worried I've done something silly.

Have you downloaded the MoDaCo r3 rom? this is what needs renaming to update.zip

Just make sure you check the file is the correct size (check the MD5) and the file extension is correct. Also try a different SD card if you have probs.

MicroSD reader would make things easier for transfering stuff. Only a few quid off Ebay. But you can move stuff via Clockwork recovery > (Vol Down & power) connect via USB lead and mount via the recovery software (mounts and storage>mount USB storage)

Dont panic. Most things can be sorted, especially if you have Clockwork installed.

Edited by mario999