Surprise everyone !!!

Guest Stephen Hyde

i doubt it as the code missing is what looks like an 'oem' folder which contains some files most likely targeted at streak.

Hmm, that's not good... so you couldn't even build a fully functioning Eclair ROM from the archives? :S

without edits no. could very likely build one weather everything would work is entirely different

That's pretty annoying for Dell to do that. What does the incomplete source mean as far as GPL goes? Is it worth reporting?

Keep working on it anyhow, I will certainly put a good donation forward for a nice custom Froyo image. :lol:

Guest Stephen Hyde

im sure its got to be buildable for gpl to be valid but im not sure - im sure someone here will answer soon :lol:

the ril library may be possible to get from another device if anytone wants look

Well technically it is still in violation because that will not be the entire source that their built it from would it not?

The source has to be the one used for each build that is commercially available, that is available without any input to the user other than to compile it from source.

Therefore Dell is still in violation and still has yet to give the actual source-code, cause from what I can see this build is FARRRR from Dell's 1.6-2.1

--

Shauneh

Edited by Shauneh

the kernel wont build without edits at all so id say violation, anyone fancy contacting dell about it

I've read the best people to contact first are GPL Violations at gpl-violations.org or 'Freedom Task Force' and I think they would take on Dell about the problem. Yourself or another person familiar with the Android source would be much better at explaining exactly what's missing to them than I though. :lol:

Edited by nickp82

I've read the best people to contact first are GPL Violations at gpl-violations.org or 'Freedom Task Force' and I think they would take on Dell about the problem. Yourself or another person familiar with the Android source would be much better at explaining exactly what's missing to them than I though. :lol:

Also take a look at this post by Harald Welte... pretty interesting.

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2010/09/13/

looks like ill be sending gpl-violations a message

Yep, or e-mail Harald Welte directly about the problem... I think he's the guy who got onto Dell's back about the source in the first place! :lol:

will do that tomorrow, as it is i may of found a possible route aroudn wifi - b43 & b43legacy kernel drivers supposedly support the bcm43xx wifi modules

Nice find! Is the BCM43xx an integrated BT/Wi-fi chip?

Guest User Error

This might be a stupid noobish question, but would it not be possible to pull the missing edits or files from a working rom , I.e. the O2 2.1 rom? Can it be decompiled or whatever? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

Great work mate, Fairly sure the bcm is in kernel now as broadcomm opensourced it.

Proc_comm.h i think was in the dell donut source, not at pic fir a while to check, but why o why do they insist on hard linking files?

Guest Stephen Hyde

yep bcm is in kernel thats not the issue, its the fact that due to dells removing code it cant retrieve its mac address. and yep proc_comm is in source but the include was hard linked which is what i was showing not the fact files missing

yep bcm is in kernel thats not the issue, its the fact that due to dells removing code it cant retrieve its mac address. and yep proc_comm is in source but the include was hard linked which is what i was showing not the fact files missing

Why did Dell screw around with the code so much?? Probably why there are so many reported problems in all these Eclair builds. :lol:

Guest Stephen Hyde

becasue their idiots and by the looks of it actualyl had no intention of releasing the gpl source if they could avoid it and when they have been forced they havnt really botherd to release much

Guest vinokirk
becasue their idiots and by the looks of it actualyl had no intention of releasing the gpl source if they could avoid it and when they have been forced they havnt really botherd to release much

yeah +1 to this. Its the old 'if we can get away with it lets do it' attitude!

Guest vinokirk

Now that I can understand :-)

Have you managed to get anything new working. What are you working at getting working at the moment? Whats stopping you from getting that thing working...Dell?