Orange San Francisco review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Alucaaaaaa

right now using the nokia E52, great "phone" really slim and with great battery performance, but the typing and internet experiences are just like hell, I have to get my hands on the San Francisco.

Thanks Paul for the great review.

Guest milkykung
Ok I'm new to this forum and looking for a replacement for my ancient HTC Tytn. Android appeals and this San Francisco from Orange seems to be close to meeting my needs.

Just one small query which will probably be easy for you to answer but in your review you say the SF has 512Mb Ram yet when I look at the spec on the Orange site it says there is 150MB of internal memory. http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/San...-Orange-in-grey.

I'm pleased to see that PDAdb.net agrees with the 512Mb ram so is the Orange spec wrong.

Maybe there is something I don't know about but any guidance would be welcome.

I believe the internal memory meant by Orange was the in-built memory space on the device whereas RAM is the memory which the phone uses for processing not storing data.

Hope this helps :P

Cheers,

Edited by milkykung

Guest phillai

You're probably sick of all the positives but I wanna +1 you on the fab review of the Orange San Francisco phone which influenced me to buying it and then trying it.

The main reason why I was keen to try this phone was mainly for the massive resolution which is great for reading the web and I really wanted to give Android a try.

I transfered all my O2 web settings and browsing on the Orange San Francisco phone is soooo much better than my old Nokia 6303!

Unlocking was really easy and cost £1.50 from eBay.

This phone is fab value for £99 and if I didn't see your review I would never have bought it!

I believe the internal memory meant by Orange was the in-built memory space on the device whereas RAM is the memory which the phone uses for processing not storing data.

Hope this helps :P

Cheers,

Thanks for that. I'm just patiently waiting for delivery this afternoon.

Guest Ally Weir

this review helped my choice.

absolutely loving it as an upgrade from the Motorola DEXT. it means i can have a phone that is reliable and one to hack etc. good times

Guest twatter

Very good review..... :)

I purchased this phone based on this review and that custom roms can be loaded from this site.... I received

the phone, and as expected, fantastic value for the money, a really great screen and custom roms

Many thanks to all

Guest spences10

Awesome review, just went out abd bought one on the strength of the review

Thanks Paul,

One of the first things I did was install UniversalAndroot and it said the device was already rooted!!?

Anyway I rooted again to install SuperUser, I may have a poke around now with RootExplorer to see whats going on or then again I may just put som Froyo on it

Very nice.

Guest PrakashDavid

That was a really nice review. I've been wanting to change my blackberry curve for a while for a nice android handset but budget was a problem. Now I want to get the HTC Desire z but it's gonna take a few months for me to roll up the dough and when I saw this review I just decided to take this mobile for a spin to experience android. Gonna sell my BB & get this baby instead. I want to know the best possible deals out there. I know play and amazon sells them for £99 including the £10 top up. When I walked into an Orange store they said its £99+£20 top up...that's a rip off. Let me know if there are any other better deals out there. Thanks.

Guest misterLjay
That was a really nice review. I've been wanting to change my blackberry curve for a while for a nice android handset but budget was a problem. Now I want to get the HTC Desire z but it's gonna take a few months for me to roll up the dough and when I saw this review I just decided to take this mobile for a spin to experience android. Gonna sell my BB & get this baby instead. I want to know the best possible deals out there. I know play and amazon sells them for £99 including the £10 top up. When I walked into an Orange store they said its £99+£20 top up...that's a rip off. Let me know if there are any other better deals out there. Thanks.

Orange upped to £20 top-up now, cheeky buggers. I paid £10 top-up on Oct 26th

Guest dadashi

actually only some shops are trying to make an extra buck with the big SF sales... it's still 10 pound top up online....

We've got two Orange shops nearby, ones asking for 20 pound top up, the other 10...

Guest vertico

Thanks for the great review.

As I recalled My G1 has a 500Mhz CPU, when the San Francisco , what is the performance when comparing the San Francisco to the G1?

If both phones are rooted, would it makes the San Francisco better?

Guest stylezuk

Awesome review Paul, gonna get mine on thursday, can't wait to drop the old school WM OS..

Just a q really notice the htc keyboard is available, does this also mean that the Tachi like dialer could be ported?

Edited by stylezuk

Guest tralivali

Please test, can one use MoreLocale to switch it to Russian?

PS For a good dialer please use DialerOne from the Market.

Edited by tralivali

Guest bobhund
Please test, can one use MoreLocale to switch it to Russian?

I just tried it and it switched to cyrillic letters. So i guess it works. (I don't speak or read Russian though)